dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2012-11-12 08:05:09: AT&T continues to deploy LTE, bringing the faster service this Halloween to several additional communities. According to AT&T, LTE services are now available in Ft. Myers, Florida, Tulsa, Oklahoma, and Knoxville, Tennessee. ..

marinemaster
join:2004-04-12
Suwanee, GA

marinemaster

4G/LTE phones not mature enough

What is the use of LTE when most phone battery life out of it is 1 day ? My new iphone 5 is a POS when it comes to battery life. So far Apple has not done anything about it. From what I read most other 4G/LTE phone also have a 1 day battery life. People are getting blinded and willingly that 4G that is so fast...personally I don't care; 3G was fast enough for me. My iphone 4 had 3 FULL days battery life on 3G. Not even mentioning the insulting caps like 2 GB or so and really the 4G phones are not mature enough. So really while ATT, Verizon and others keep saying how fast LTE is the point is that it only really matters how good the device at the other end is. If one gets fooled by the short battery life and low caps really, what is the use of LTE ?
decifal7
join:2007-03-10
Bon Aqua, TN

decifal7

battery

My iphone 4 with 3g only doesn't make it past one day with more than 20 percent left... Least while your using yours you can load stuff up faster...

battleop
join:2005-09-28

battleop

Uhhh?

"bringing the faster service this Halloween to several additional communities."

Little late there?
BortB25
join:2004-02-28

BortB25

Minneapolis LTE

Minneapolis/St. Paul LTE has been up since Thursday. Speeds vary from 45 down / 10 up to 8 down / 2 up.

Gilitar
join:2012-02-01
Mobile, AL

Gilitar

Too slow

AT&T is taking too much time to deploy its LTE network. I guess it's because they have their faux 4G network to depend on. I've been seeing people I know switching to Verizon.

openupshop
join:2000-11-25
Chandler, AZ

openupshop to battleop

to battleop

Re: Uhhh?

Same thing I was thinking...LOL
Superfly4
join:2008-05-28
Caro, MI

Superfly4 to Gilitar

to Gilitar

Re: Too slow

I made the switch to Verizon because I can drive a 1/2 hour in lower Michigan with no signal on AT&T. At home, I got the EDGE network. VERY SLOW!!

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

I also made the switch to Verizon Wireless as well. We have had LTE in Springfield, Mass since July of 2011 and at my Grandma's house in Maine since June or July of this year. Usually Springfield and Biddeford are not priority areas in the wonderful world of service providers. It took three years for Time Warner to get DOCSIS 3.0 in Biddeford. We've had D3 with Comcast in Springfield since late 2008 or early 2009.

Now I just need to get my hands on an iPhone 5 and my 4G upgrade will be complete.
Superfly4
join:2008-05-28
Caro, MI

Superfly4

Orders have been shipping out pretty fast now for iPhone 5's @ Verizon. Our 3rd one just came in.....

shortyd999
join:2008-10-21
Birmingham, AL

shortyd999 to marinemaster

to marinemaster

Re: 4G/LTE phones not mature enough

3 full days of battery? I barely make it to the end of the day with my iPhone 4S. But i'm always on my phone
elefante72
join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY

elefante72 to marinemaster

to marinemaster
You can turn off LTE if you want. Go to the cellular settings page. Then you will be back on HSPA+ (3G or fauxG) and have longer battery life. If you have marginal 4G LTE signal this will take up more juice than a strong 3G signal.

This happened to me when VZ lit up LTE. I had to turn it off for 6 months until they lit up enough towers. Of course the LTE chipsets back in those days were no integrated like the iphone 5 and luckily for me I had a removable battery.

Caps: They are not going away so learn how to offload with Wifi or slow down on video consumption. AT&T offers hotspot offload all over the place. Also Wifi uses the least amount of battery power.

Interestingly enough Verizon, AT&T, Sprint version of LTE is already dead. Tmobile is going right to LTE TDD, so most people don't even have a clue on this.

SteelerRaw
@timet.com

SteelerRaw

Anon

said by elefante72:

Interestingly enough Verizon, AT&T, Sprint version of LTE is already dead. Tmobile is going right to LTE TDD, so most people don't even have a clue on this.

At&t and VZW are using LTE Release 8. Sprint is using LTE Release 9 with plans to move to Release 10 in 2013. T-Mobile is NOT deploying TDD LTE. The only company of note in the US that is currently deploying TD-LTE is Clearwire.
ComcastTech
join:2008-05-31

ComcastTech to marinemaster

to marinemaster
Theirs nothing wrong with the battery, I went 2 days without charging it. Wasnt bad on LTE either. Apple doesn't need to do anything about a phone that it flawless. If you have problems take it back.