spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2012-11-13 09:14:47: Time Warner Cable is sending a mailer out to some users inquiring whether they'd be interested in paying $7 a month to guarantee "reliable service. ..

page: 1 · 2 · next

ITALIAN926

join:2003-08-16
kudos:2

1 recommendation

no biggy

Its optional, kind of like insurance. Id be PO'd if it was another mandatory fee, but its not. Nothing to see here, move along.

AMDUSER
Premium
join:2003-05-28
Earth,
kudos:1
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Time Warner Cable

Re: no biggy

This better not become mandatory.. like the modem fee [unless you own your modem].

TWC services [especially cable VoIP] are not very reliable in my area.. how about they get their cable systems in order and take care of the problems... which is largely why I got rid of their phone and internet.

[The second reason was that the bill got up there [almost $160 /month ] - and they would not offer anything except $7 off.. except that the tv service price is starting to creep back up.. again.]

aciddrink

join:2000-08-26

For the small fee of just $7/month, they will fix the issues you're having in your area by upgrading outdated and decaying hardware!

(This post is sarcastic for those of you that don't understand)

CptSpaulding

join:2009-07-21
Cincinnati, OH
Why do customers have to pay $7 to get the latest and the greatest? Isn't that what they advertise you get just for signing up? I guess there is some fine print somewhere in .00000000001 size font stating you get the latest and greatest only when you signup. Oh, wait, they give you old beat up barely working crap when your a new customer too.
axus

join:2001-06-18
Washington, DC

Cancelling service and going to a competitor seems like a good way to get an upgrade. Oh wait, ETFs and monopolies.
WarMachine98

join:2012-11-13
Pleasant Prairie, WI

That also assumes that there is a competitor that you can switch to.

skuv

@rr.com
said by axus:

Cancelling service and going to a competitor seems like a good way to get an upgrade. Oh wait, ETFs and monopolies.

What ETFs? You know we're talking about a Cable company here, right? They have never required a contract for service. You can always do month to month.

They do offer contracts and they do have ETFs. But they don't require it just to get service as other companies do.

Even on some of their deals where you get a $150 gift card, you only have to be a customer for 90 days.
spdickey

join:2002-11-17
Pacific Palisades, CA

1 edit

deleted
spdickey

join:2002-11-17
Pacific Palisades, CA
Perhaps you've never encountered the "Price Lock Guarantee" they were offering a few years ago. Get a great rate, but get yourself locked into into a "contract" with them.

" If qualifying services are terminated prior to the end of the 24 month commitment period, a prorated early termination fee of up to $150 will apply. "

Still advertised at »www.timewarnercable.com/Corporat···one.html

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
join:2003-08-04
USA
kudos:12
quote:
This better not become mandatory.. like the modem fee [unless you own your modem]
THIS IS NOT NEW!!!!

THEY HAVE ALWAYS CHARGED PER MODEM!!!!!!!!

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ

Re:  

said by Dude111:

quote:
This better not become mandatory.. like the modem fee [unless you own your modem]
THIS IS NOT NEW!!!!

THEY HAVE ALWAYS CHARGED PER MODEM!!!!!!!!

not true
--
* seek help if having trouble coping
--Standard disclaimers apply.--
rradina

join:2000-08-08
Chesterfield, MO
Not so fast. This reminds me of the optional fee the phone company sometimes accidentally added to consumer bills. I haven't used incumbent phone service for the past decade but the last time I did, they offered "insurance" to cover the wires in your home. IMO, that was nothing but a sleezy money grab.

The problem with crap like this is it's just flat-out taking advantage of folks who regard technology as black magic and live in fear that it will break. The same can be said of the extended warranties offered on practically everything. Even though they seem pro-customer, all of them are just money grabs. Perhaps they aren't bad enough to be called unethical or warrant laws denying the behavior but it's just not right to take advantage of folks this way.

If the equipment becomes dated and the experience suffers, consumers should have the choice to get switch providers or have an expectation that their current service will keep them happy with a periodic equipment refresh.

ITALIAN926

Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

What? The phone wiring within your home was DEREGULATED wire, the phone companys are only responsible to bring dialtone TO your house. The wiring became property and responsibility of the customer. The phone companies offer "insurance" to cover the repair of the wire that belongs to the customer ! People who pay this fee REQUEST IT.

People have choices of TV providers. Nobody has fewer than 2 choices of providers. If youre not happy with TW, then LEAVE them. Nobody is forcing anyone to pay this extra fee.

This isnt complicated at all.

NOCTech75
Premium
join:2009-06-29
Marietta, GA
Reviews:
·Comcast

said by ITALIAN926:

What? The phone wiring within your home was DEREGULATED wire, the phone companys are only responsible to bring dialtone TO your house. The wiring became property and responsibility of the customer. The phone companies offer "insurance" to cover the repair of the wire that belongs to the customer ! People who pay this fee REQUEST IT.

People have choices of TV providers. Nobody has fewer than 2 choices of providers. If youre not happy with TW, then LEAVE them. Nobody is forcing anyone to pay this extra fee.

Yeah, because you guys would never just tack it on there without permission... of course not.
rradina

Chesterfield, MO

They might ask but the question is twisted to get a yes answer. Then little by little, the charge grows. I recently reviewed my elderly aunt's phone plan. She keeps bills for years and years and she paid the fee for who knows how many years. Her house is nearly 60 years old and there's never been a wiring problem.

When I built my first house in 1993, it cost me $75 to have phone and coax run throughout the house. I'm sure the materials and labor have increased in the past 20 years but just the concept of wire insurance is insidious. If you have a lightening strike that fries the wires or some other electrical problem that results in damage to your home and wiring, homeowners insurance will cover it.

Of course this kind of dishonesty is rampant. However, the medical community probably takes the crown jewel in terms of perfecting it. It's a continuous train of various monthly tests for the elderly and bushel baskets of drug cocktails -- some prescribed solely to mitigate/lessen side effects of other drugs. Medicare just pays and pays and pays.

Of course this is nothing new. People have been lying, cheating and stealing throughout all of recorded history. It's just disappointing when folks sweep stuff like this under the rug with the excuse that it's all OK if folks have a choice.
rradina

Chesterfield, MO
Taking advantage of customers who fear technology doesn't have anything to do with who owns it. Whether it's inside wiring "insurance", extended car warranties, extended appliance warranties or trying to get customer to pay to pay extra for cable company equipment upgrades, it's just a money grab and all are a sleazy way to do business.

You are right about one thing... this isn't complicated.
armed

join:2000-10-20
Reviews:
·Charter

said by rradina:

Taking advantage of customers who fear technology doesn't have anything to do with who owns it. Whether it's inside wiring "insurance", extended car warranties, extended appliance warranties or trying to get customer to pay to pay extra for cable company equipment upgrades, it's just a money grab and all are a sleazy way to do business.

You don't mind if I decide whether that kind of service is worth it for me... do you? I really think you suffer from the old "if I think it it must be true for all" syndrome. House wire insurance for homeowners is a nice option for those who either do not want or cannot fix/fool with their wiring. Assuming it optional then its not any of your fu**ing business any more than what channels I choose to get.

Get over yourself.

BTW with the Charter bundle house wiring is covered in the package price. It paid off the day I got it.
rradina

Chesterfield, MO

Do you know why we have so many regulations? Because people love to cheat. Regarding your home's cable wiring, how do you know it needed new wiring? If really didn't, you are still paying for something that's completely worthless. A fool and his money are soon parted.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:11
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC

said by rradina:

Do you know why we have so many regulations? Because people love to cheat.

Which has what do do with ...

Regarding your home's cable wiring, how do you know it needed new wiring? If really didn't, you are still paying for something that's completely worthless. A fool and his money are soon parted.

If I didn't know coax from copper from monofilament nylon, paying a wire maintenance fee would be useful, not foolish.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum
rradina

Chesterfield, MO

Why would anyone defend designer fees with the sole purpose to simply yank more money from consumer wallets? Rather than offer what appears to be defended as a choice, periodic equipment upgrades that are necessary to maintain customer satisfaction should be part of the service. The choice is a sleazy tactic almost worthy of a fat, cigar-smoking, used car salesman claiming every car he sells was owned by a grandma who only drove it to church on Sunday.

If this were truly a competitive environment rather than a bunch of monopolist cheats, they would have to own the upkeep on the equipment or consumers would jump to someone else that works harder to keep them happy. Who would keep paying for a service that uses outdated equipment that freezes all the time or it just doesn't work all the time?

Regarding a wire maintenance plan, that's just an an accountant's scheme supported by devious management. I'm lost as to why everyone doesn't recognize it as such and dismayed that anyone would even defend it as a positive. It's almost like selling air insurance that seeks to guarantee that you never run out of enough air to breath.

NormanS
Premium,MVM
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC

said by rradina:

Why would anyone defend designer fees with the sole purpose to simply yank more money from consumer wallets?

In response to your comments about:
quote:
Regarding your home's cable wiring ...

If you don't know coax from copper from monofilament nylon, how can you know you won't fix a problem by tying the loose CAT3 end to the loose RG-59 end with a fisherman's knot?

And if you don't want to pay the fee, be prepared to pay the telco, MSO, or electrician of your choice to play with the premises wiring to find the problem.

Rather than offer what appears to be defended as a choice, periodic equipment upgrades that are necessary to maintain customer satisfaction should be part of the service.

OIC. Either you weren't addressing ignorance of wiring, despite your words, or you were comparing grapes (premises wiring) to gravel (equipment maintenance).

When Ma Bell was broken apart in 1984, I told PacBell, "No!" in response to their offering of a wire maintenance fee, but I was an electronic technician with HP. My parents said, "Yes", because Dad was just a grocery head clerk; I don't think he ever went under the house for anything.

I've never paid an equipment maintenance fee, either; but that isn't really comparable to a wiring maintenance fee.
--
Norman
rradina

Chesterfield, MO

The original post was about equipment maintenance. I compared it to the value of a wire maintenance plan which is nothing more than a bunch of cheats trying to separate folks from their money.

Regarding grapes and gravel, I have always maintained all of this is a scheme from people who like to cheat. An honest person would take care of minor problems as customer service and when there are major problems, give the customer a very reasonable price to get them back in service -- regardless of whether that's wiring or equipment. When people get charged $300 for a converter box after a fire, they smell a rat. There's absolutely no discontinuity in anything I've said.

Unless geography prevents it, hopefully you told your dad that you would take care of any wiring problems since it's unlikely he'd ever call.

NormanS
Premium,MVM
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC

said by rradina:

The original post was about equipment maintenance. I compared it to the value of a wire maintenance plan which is nothing more than a bunch of cheats trying to separate folks from their money.

Wire maintenance was a result of the breakup of Ma Bell. Part of the consent decree. The next time you see Judge Green, you should thank him profusely for that. As a result of his decision, the demarc was the end of RBOC responsibility for the wiring.

Regarding grapes and gravel, I have always maintained all of this is a scheme from people who like to cheat.

I don't disagree on the equipment fee; if the company owns the equipment, they should take care of it. If the customer owns the equipment, the customer should take care of it.

Unless geography prevents it, hopefully you told your dad that you would take care of any wiring problems since it's unlikely he'd ever call.

How quickly could you drop everything and traverse 156 miles for a service call? Geography was definitely a factor.

And, yes, there was a discontinuity in your statement.
--
Norman
rradina

Chesterfield, MO

Help me understand where I've deviated from claiming all these schemes are the same?

The history of how wire maintenance came into existence doesn't change the fact that it's just a bunch of cheats trying to game the system. I'm OK if the RBOCs don't own the wiring in my house and they expect me to maintain it but to offer me a protection plan -- even for a few bucks a month -- is absolutely taking advantage of fear generated from technological ignorance. Plumbing in homes is far and away more likely to fail and just as expensive (if not more) as a service call to repair telephone wiring. I suppose someone sells a plumbing protection plan too but I've never heard of one and folks don't seem to bat an eye paying $200 for the Roto Rooter guy to fix their drains.

Just the simple fact that someone thought of such a plan for an infinitely more reliable product demonstrates the quality of their character and the folks at TW who are tinkering with the idea of this new, optional fee are of the same ilk.
armed

join:2000-10-20
Reviews:
·Charter
Apparently you suffer not only from unearned visions of grandeur but an inability to read as well. Find me the phrase that said 1. they replaced all my wiring and 2. that I paid for the in house wire repair.

Come on now try reading instead of trying to control what others should and shouldn't do.

I find those who suspect all others of being dishonest usually suffer from the disorder themselves.

BTW you inability to reason and read is the definition of "fool".
rradina

Chesterfield, MO

Didn't you claim that "house wiring was included and it paid off the first day" -- or something along those lines.

New wiring is a phrase I used to cover any wire maintenance on the house. A new patch cord, a new run to a particular outlet, a new F connector, a new splitter, who knows. I could have been more clear. Regardless of what they did, how do you know you actually needed the "new wiring" and what it would have cost if it wasn't included? Since you seem certain it paid off, from your perspective they must have done something that you consider major or at least expensive.

Why do you think I'm trying to control what you do? In my first post in this topic I said I didn't think this was bad enough to make illegal but I'm arguing that these types of schemes are an insidious practice with the intent of making dishonest money. Why? They are designed to take advantage of those who are technologically ignorant and manifest fear about what they don't know. I believe it's another form of the well-documented tactics practiced by some auto mechanics and repair shops.

Regarding the rest, my intent is not to make this personal. I apologize if something I have said has made you feel this is personal.
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
said by rradina:

Having worked at a Staples in the late 90s, I learned first hand about those extended electronics warranties. And how big of a scam they are. We where required to offer them on any qualified device... on some Inkjet printers the plan was worth more than the printer.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ
said by ITALIAN926:

Nobody has fewer than 2 choices of providers.

Say whaaaaat?
How you figure?
--
* seek help if having trouble coping
--Standard disclaimers apply.--
Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5
said by ITALIAN926:

I wish folks would stop saying this. It is not true. I don't have two choices for TV. No over the air here and no satellite either. TWC is the only game in town.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson
Expand your moderator at work

cork1958
Cork
Premium
join:2000-02-26
said by rradina:

Not so fast. This reminds me of the optional fee the phone company sometimes accidentally added to consumer bills. I haven't used incumbent phone service for the past decade but the last time I did, they offered "insurance" to cover the wires in your home. IMO, that was nothing but a sleezy money grab.

The problem with crap like this is it's just flat-out taking advantage of folks who regard technology as black magic and live in fear that it will break. The same can be said of the extended warranties offered on practically everything. Even though they seem pro-customer, all of them are just money grabs. Perhaps they aren't bad enough to be called unethical or warrant laws denying the behavior but it's just not right to take advantage of folks this way.

If the equipment becomes dated and the experience suffers, consumers should have the choice to get switch providers or have an expectation that their current service will keep them happy with a periodic equipment refresh.

Exactly!!
--
The Firefox alternative.
»www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/
bn1221

join:2009-04-29
Cortland, NY
Reviews:
·TowerStream
Inside wiring fees *may* me money grabs. Frontier used to charge my mom 1.95 per month for wiring. Since she have no internal wiring to speak of (the NID was on the outside and the phone was 8 inches inside from the NID).

My sister, with 8 or 9 phone jacks and DSL, had the interior wiring service. It was worth it when Frontier pretty much rewired her house for her. I mean, I could do it, but the drive and snow deterred me.
Dampier
Phillip M Dampier

join:2003-03-23
Rochester, NY
Actually, this was part of a focus group survey. It means TWC is considering the new fee (and from the wording it is either mandatory or customers would be opted in by default) and trying to determine how customers will react to it.

I predict they will react badly.

But it is important to stress this is only under consideration and has not been imposed or implemented. Companies focus group test things all the time they later determine are not worth implementing. Hopefully, this will be one of those.
--
Phillip M. Dampier
Editor, Stop the Cap!
»stopthecap.com
elefante72

join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY

This is a true joke. The terminal fees MORE than cover the lease carry and maintenance cost. I actually think the new modem fee is fair, and not overpriced. However the margins for internet are ungodly.

If you recall when Signature Home launched for $199 one of the selling points was that the installer would actually come during the window that was setup. Almost a slap in the face of everyone else--the window is just a joke. Now they are having to dole out $500 gift cards to entice people to buy into this sham.

In the end they are entering a saturation point (cable, phone have already stopped/decreasing) and internet is within 2million of cable so within a year that market will be saturated. So how do you keep affording to dole out $20 per month/sub in dividends with a no-growth market: Introduce new fees.

A remember back in the day when Nynex used to push "wireline maintenance" for like $8/month. Even if I had the guy wiring my house up once a year, I would be good....

I don't know what the gig is or how they could spin it, but plain and simple if people are paying terminal fees they should be a supported levels, period. Like I said over at STC, they might spin this to support NON paid terminals like tablets, Tivos, Xboxes, etc. However then they would need to have a qualification matrix, upgrade schedule, and actually support these devices. I don't think they know the true costs of that....

This just happened to my mother at one of her apartments. She hung around all day, the installer never showed (she should have known better than to take an afternoon window). No call, nothing. They credited her $25, which of course is no substitution for wasting 1/2 a day.
Dampier
Phillip M Dampier

join:2003-03-23
Rochester, NY

Tell your mom to tell TWC the $25 doesn't cut it and they need to cough up some free stuff or some serious service credits. A supervisor will deal.

gigahurtz
Premium
join:2001-10-20
Palm Coast, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House

Shouldn't this be included in the monthly fee you pay?

A fee to guarantee "reliable service"? What are we coming too? My monthly fee that I pay already should guarantee reliable service. I'm sick and tired of companies squeezing every penny out of customers.

I pay a monthly fee for reliable service. I also believe that this fee should keep me up to date with technology and the best that's offered. I don't expect an upgrade of boxes every month, but I don't see a problem with the current system as is.

Hall
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH

Re: Shouldn't this be included in the monthly fee you pay?

"you will see a $6.99 equipment lease fee on your bill ... so you can enjoy a seamless, reliable experience and the service you expect"

What idiot approved this ? Does anyone ever step back and look at things from "the other side" ? As others have already mentioned, shouldn't "a seamless, reliable experience" be automatic ? This add'l fee should instead offer customers priority when calling in, same-day on-site service, etc, etc !

Jason Levine
Premium
join:2001-07-13
USA
But that would mean they'd have to advertise higher rates. This way they can say their service costs "Only $29.99 a month.* [tiny print]*Plus various taxes and fees[end tiny print]" instead of saying "Only $65 a month."

No, much better (for them) to be able to advertise the tiny monthly fees. Just like with cell phone companies.

(Seriously, though, there should be a legal requirement to disclose all such fees, the basis by which they are calculated, and the purpose for them.)
--
-Jason Levine

join:2000-10-10
Decatur, GA

1 recommendation

Future Proof! How long is the future

I wonder if their definition of Future will have a cap, just like unlimited does?

dnoyeB
Ferrous Phallus

join:2000-10-09
Southfield, MI

Re: Future Proof! How long is the future

Looks like the new definition of 'unlimited' is not capped but slowed.

pnh102
Reptiles Are Cuddly And Pretty
Premium
join:2002-05-02
Mount Airy, MD

Heh...

quote:
Time Warner Cable is sending a mailer out to some users inquiring whether they'd be interested in paying $7 a month to guarantee "reliable service."
Meaning that what you pay now doesn't give you that?

What's gonna happen the next time the cable goes out for someone who pays this fee?
--
USA 2012 - the mooches won.

ITALIAN926

Re: Heh...

Possibly if your 160Gb hard-drive DVR takes a dump, it will be replaced with a refurbed 160Gb DVR, even if a new 500Gig is available. etc. etc.
Os

join:2011-01-26
US

LOL

I'm picturing the "please gouge me for more money" crowd that Time Warner is hoping for will be very small.

It's not hard to get modern equipment as is from the cable company if you're a proactive customer. TWC is probably fine with idiots just using the same pathetic 1999 cable box until it dies.

Hall
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH

Past experience

It's been years since I had Time Warner but when I did, you could simply take your set-top to their local office and ask (politely) if you could swap it for another box and you could "suggest" the model you wanted. If they had it available, it was never a problem.

juilinsandar
Texas Gooner
Premium
join:2000-07-17
San Benito, TX

Re: Past experience

At my local TWC office it's still that way.

ScottMo
Once in a Lifetime
Premium,MVM
join:2000-12-15
Stony Brook, NY

To be fair

The link in the article goes to another, non-TWC site that notes this about the fee:
said by article :
"To be clear, Time Warner is only considering this new fee and is testing the concept with its focus group to gauge potential customer reaction."

While it seems just a fee grab, I'd like to see the actual TWC offering.
w4ncr

join:2000-10-27

$7 'We'll Keep Your Equipment Upgraded' Fee

Moore more fees !!Let's face it companies would have new fees for everybody from call be new fees call them and have them send the bill to you bye mail if they can't control their cost come up new fees 4 it new it ID'S !!
ericthered26

join:2011-09-29
Hamilton, OH

Ha

Guess this idea that folks who are dumping traditional tv not being a big problem for TWC is a lie.

Clearly they're trying to make up for that loss by gouging existing customers as much as they can. I think, however, it'll work in a way that is not advantageous for TWC. More customers will just "cut the cord."

Jason Levine
Premium
USA

Re: Ha

We've been on the "cut the cord" edge for years. They only kept us around so far by cutting a nice one year deal with us when we threatened to leave. Still, we remain on the edge and this is just one more addition to the "reasons we should cut cable" pile. It's like they *want* us to leave.
--
-Jason Levine

dnoyeB
Ferrous Phallus

Southfield, MI
Reviews:
·Comcast

ROFL, is it April?

They can't be serious. If there is anything wrong or lacking with any of my 'rented' equipment, they are going to replace it anyway. That's the whole point of the rental fee!

Maybe TWC plans to buy a bunch of old cable boxes from ebay and hand those out to its basic customers, saving the newer boxes only for the people that pay this fee. If no, I don't see what they are really promising!?
--
dnoyeB
"Then said I, Wisdom [is] better than strength: nevertheless the poor man's wisdom [is] despised, and his words are not heard. " Ecclesiastes 9:16

skuv

@rr.com

Re: ROFL, is it April?

They would likely be giving customers who don't pay the fees refurbs and boxes that were taken from customers paying the $7 fee.

They aren't replacing broken things for the people paying the $7 fee, they are replacing old things with new things.

The old things apparently function and can be given to other customers if they have a broken box or get a box for another TV.

dnoyeB
Ferrous Phallus

Southfield, MI
Interesting. So they are trying to monetize choosing your own box. Kind of like paying extra for a 'matched pair' of RAM...
phazah

join:2004-05-02
Findlay, OH

wtf??

they want to charge me $6 to keep "my" equipment updated?? im already paying $7 for the damn box in the first place, now i have to pay for them to "update" it... how about updating it or lose my money...
bad enough the machine i have is old enough to collect social security in computer age....
i think the company that originally made it has been sold two or three times....

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast

Only if they give Motorola or Arris equipment

I'd pay $7 per month to have Arris or Motorola equipment at Grandma's house. The Cisco and Ubee equipment she has is junk. I talk to her on Time Warner phone and there is static on the line. I would love to have an Arris modem on her Internet and phone and Motorola set top boxes on her TVs.

I moved one of my TiVo boxes to her house and I have to use a tuning adapter.

I would like to have Time Warner at my house in Springfield (Mass) as they are slightly better with customer service. When I call TWC at Grandma's house I get a call center that is located in nearby Portland (Maine). I never get a local call center with Comcast. I always get outsourced call centers that are out of state and sometimes overseas.

The nice thing about local customer service is that they are familiar with the local system and product offerings.

I'd gladly pay a fee to Comcast to get my calls to customer service answered in Western Mass.

•••••
MaynardKrebs
Heave Steve, for the good of the country
Premium
join:2009-06-17
kudos:4

1 edit

Ehhh, nice service youse has dere.....

...Shame if sumptin' was to happen to it...yuh know.

Little Rico, meet big RICO.

Jason Levine
Premium
USA

Re: Ehhh, nice service youse has dere.....

How funny. I was talking to some co-workers about this fee and said the exact same thing. Of course, what will you do if you don't want to pay the fee? Go to Dish network (nice deal for 1 year if you lock in to a 2 year plan)? Cut the cord? Nah, they're counting on you to stay put, grumble a bit, and toss a few more bucks their way every month.
--
-Jason Levine
tmc8080

join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY
Reviews:
·ooma
·Optimum Online
·Verizon FiOS

counter proposal..

with the so-called "RENTAL" fee they're charging.. how about their equipment conviently "BREAKS" every 5 - 7 years.. considering it's a RENTAL, they're supposed to replace it... far be it from me for them to replace it with a discontinued product... but that's not been the current state of affairs at many-a cable company's policy.

not

@comcast.net

Just Say No

Up to date for their outdated systems, not up to date in terms of what's available on the market. Do yourselves a favor and just say no. It's a no brainer to just go in and get the new equipment when it becomes available. Pay for your own modems and just swap out the DVRs for the new ones as they become available in your area.

jgkolt
Premium
join:2004-02-21
Avon, OH

Promotes switching carriers

Might as well switch carriers every year and get new promo and new equipment. This option just promotes this type of behavior.

Now if tivo worked with more than just cable (or there were more cable companies around) it would be easier.

axiomatic

join:2006-08-23
Tomball, TX

Seriously?

Pay $7 to keep constantly having to fix things in my house when you break them during your "upgrades".... ummm no thanks! I know perfectly well when you have new equipment and don't need to pay you to remind me.

Seriously TWC... whomever is in marketing coming up with this crap... fire him soon, it's obvious you are only interested in the $7.

PamelaTS

join:2004-04-20
Dallas, TX
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Clearwire Wireless
·Clear Wireless

Nickel and Dime = Death

This is just an attempt at shifting cost of doing business on consumers. If they refuse to keep my tuning adapter or cable card up to date, I'll just cancel. I intend on switching to TWC for internet when my Clear contract lapses. I wouldn't pay this and if they where to obsolete my equipment I'd switch back to Clear before I pay extortion.

mech1164
I'll Be Back

join:2001-11-19
Lodi, NJ

Meanwhile that loud sound...

you hear are all their customers leaving in droves. As it is i'm seriously considering just having internet and doing any shows i can't get via Amazon or other means. Now that I can get OTA better there are reasons for me to say BYE!

jimk
Premium
join:2006-04-15
Raleigh, NC
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·voip.ms

NO.

There's no justification for this fee when they are already charging for equipment rental. It sounds like this fee would be in addition to the current fees, since renting a cable box already costs more than $7.

If they decide to implement it, they can take their buggy DVRs back. For this price, I would much rather buy a TiVo or build a Windows Media Center box and have something that works and can store more than a few hours of HD content. A nice side benefit would be having access to modern software with a proper keyword search interface and numerous other features that are still lacking after 5+ years of development.