dslreports logo
site
spacer

spacer
 
    All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer




how-to block ads


view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2012-11-13 16:34:07: The Wall Street Journal has realized that ISPs jack up the cost of standalone Internet so users are less likely to ditch bundled television or phone services. ..

page: 1 · 2 · next


gatorkram
Need for Speed
Premium
join:2002-07-22
Winterville, NC
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Suddenlink

Not about us..

Sadly, none of the pricing is about us, it's all about what makes them the most money for the least effort.

I understand they have to make a profit, but I think it's fair to say most of the providers we talk about make a healthy profit, and overpay the top execs to boot.
--
What the heck is a GatorKram? »www.gatorkram.com



tshirt
Premium,MVM
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Comcast

What business does..

Do you local supermarkets each advertize some on sale item each week, hoping the majority of shoppers coming in for the discount steak will fill alot of their cart with normal priced higher profit items?

Virtually every business will give a discount when you buy multiple items, expecting them to make the single "best " item the loss leader is silly.



nononnaa

@184.94.231.x

Move on Nothing to see here

Slow news day. Hell fill up with gas and get a free Ice scrapper. Buy the whole month of Lunch tickets for your kid and get a deal. WTF Nothing new here



dnoyeB
Ferrous Phallus

join:2000-10-09
Southfield, MI
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast

Comcast

Comcast does this but I always thought it was because they could not stop basic cable once the modem was active. Once they go digital I suppose they will be able to stop it.

I was always after a dry DSL line with ATT but their service to my house sucked. At my new place I expected to be able to get DSL but it seems they can't provide DSL but they can provide UVerse!? Oh well. Ill stick with Comcast...

--
dnoyeB

"Then said I, Wisdom [is] better than strength: nevertheless the poor
man's wisdom [is] despised, and his words are not heard. " Ecclesiastes
9:16


Killersaurus

join:2012-09-17

1 recommendation

Internet Only Here

I'm one of those people paying for internet-only service from Time Warner. Sure, I could get cable and phone for "a little bit" more, but I don't want to pay more. I want to pay as little as possible.



ArrayList
netbus developer
Premium
join:2005-03-19
Brighton, MA

2 recommendations

I just don't want those other services. They would go unused.


QLR

join:2009-06-23
Tallahassee, FL

I see that now...

Got a mailer from CenturyLink with that $29.99 Internet offer when you bundle. If I don't bundle Internet with a $40 + tax phone, andchoose Internet only, the cost is $76.10. No way that 1.5M DSL is worth $76 when I have a cable choice.



FFH
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5
reply to gatorkram

Re: Not about us..

said by gatorkram:

Sadly, none of the pricing is about us, it's all about what makes them the most money for the least effort.

Unfortunately, the USSC has refused to review rulings by lower Federal courts that said bundling of services by cable companies isn't an anti-trust violation. So don't expect any changes anytime soon.
--
A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves money from the public treasury.


88615298
Premium
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

And this is different than McDonald's how?

price a Big Mac, fries and a drink individually then price a value meal. A Big Mac by itself isn't much cheaper than just getting the value meal.



IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast

Bundling works for me

I prefer to receive cable television (since I watch a lot of TV) and I also have high speed Internet (a must have) and home phone (no dropped calls, superior call quality, and I have a burglar alarm that dials the central station). I remember the days when each item was billed separately and was much more costly than today's bundles from the cablecos.

Yes, I do have an iPhone but I prefer to use that on the go. I don't buy this Internet video theory. I prefer to watch live TV (such as Fox News, Weather Channel, and the local newscasts). Internet is self explanatory, my Internet addiction is as bad as my addiction to Diet Mountain Dew/soft drinks. I even pay $40 on top of my expensive bundle to get Extreme 105 on Comcast.



LadyL
Premium
join:2002-09-18
Lorain, OH
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to ArrayList

Re: Internet Only Here

Same here...I use my tv with a dvd player to watch 130 tv series and 3000+ movies in my collection . I rarely use my cellphone and very few landline calls are made. I won't give up my landline either. Bundling with TW is still more expensive than the 3 services I pay for separately with 3 different providers.
BTW, I haven't watched tv - regular or cable since 2006.
--
Lonnie


tmc8080

join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY
Reviews:
·ooma
·Optimum Online
·Verizon FiOS

another angle..

it also prevents them from subscribing in the first place... the sweet deals of 2010 being gone, there is verly little reason go back..

it's difficult to find the right expression on youtube... but here goes:

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-Q9DMCCI-8

serge87

join:2009-11-29

I am shocked...SHOCKED!

Well slap my ass and call me sally...who saw that coming!



Corehhi

join:2002-01-28
Bluffton, SC

1 recommendation

reply to tshirt

Re: What business does..

said by tshirt:

Do you local supermarkets each advertize some on sale item each week, hoping the majority of shoppers coming in for the discount steak will fill alot of their cart with normal priced higher profit items?

Virtually every business will give a discount when you buy multiple items, expecting them to make the single "best " item the loss leader is silly.

My cable/phone/ISP works like this. First off I have no other choice but Sat for internet and cable. Their bundle deal last I saw was 1.5 meg down internet, digital channels but they are in 4 by 3 and basic phone service for $99. For 5 meg and HDTV package it costs about $70 more a month. There is no price advantage with bundling in fact they make the bundle crap so you will up grade. Don't have a bundle like myself and they simply charge more for stand alone services. BTW they don't offer 1.5 meg internet service as a stand alone 5 meg is the lowest tier. Tell me they aren't trying to get people to upgrade to more expensive packages. Sat internet is not an option but that would be the only other we have. Anyone else have digital channels but everyone is in 4 by 3???? You know how crappy that looks when everything is cut off???

tmc8080

join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY
Reviews:
·ooma
·Optimum Online
·Verizon FiOS
reply to 88615298

Re: And this is different than McDonald's how?

said by 88615298:

price a Big Mac, fries and a drink individually then price a value meal. A Big Mac by itself isn't much cheaper than just getting the value meal.

first of all, no company makes public their actual costs.. as it is a trade secret.. whether it be McDonalds, Apple or Verizon.

at least with fast food places have "a-la carte value" menus (usually no more than $1.49).. there is very little of value when 15/5 megabits is being sold for $70 a month. that's like charging $2.99 for the big mac and $2.75 for the ordinary hamburger with 1/3rd the meat, fixins and everything else that makes it a value. Actual price range it SHOULD be.. $.79 - $1.29/// 15/5? no more than $39.99 these days.. and that's overly generous.

btw, if you want to live a long life.. eat as litte of the fast food stuff as you can.. you'd be better off licking the poles of a subway car at the end of the day compared with what the unskilled minimum wage labor does with your food before you get it.

BiggA

join:2005-11-23
EARTH

Comcast does it

And they are anti-competitive about it, although they're not overly obnoxious about it, it's a $15/mo difference, or you can get the discounted rate with basic cable, which is usually about $15/mo.


taraf

join:2011-05-07
Stittsville, ON
reply to IowaCowboy

Re: Bundling works for me

It works for anybody who actually needs all of the LOBs they bundle. If you don't need them, then it won't work for you, which is the point of the article. How much would it cost you to take your TV to somebody else without switching the other services?

Try pricing just your TV, or just your cell phone, or just your Internet service without the bundle. How does that compare to what you pay with the services bundled? It seems a little unbalanced that one service on its own costs 90% of what all 3 services together cost, don't you think? It's nothing more than an attempt to prevent you from shopping around for your services, and is predatory and anti-competitive.



IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast

1 recommendation

I've said this a million times before but anyone with kids or health concerns should have a home phone as it will provide 911 with the exact location of the emergency where you have to give the location verbally over a cell phone. Yes, cell phones do have GPS but most jurisdictions have to contact the cell provider to get location data and they can only narrow it down to a 50 foot radius (particularly a problem in MDU housing) and it WILL delay emergency response if you are unable to verbally give your location. Try thinking clearly enough to give you location when a child is having difficulty or not breathing or your grandmother is having chest pain.

I am not willing to risk my family's safety on cutting the landline. In our area, you get the state police dispatch who transfers you to the local dispatch center when you call 911 on a cell phone so I have the local police dispatch number in my contacts. Call 911 on a landline, it goes straight to the local dispatch complete with location information.


CXM_Splicer
Looking at the bigger picture
Premium
join:2011-08-11
NYC
kudos:2

1 edit
reply to 88615298

Re: And this is different than McDonald's how?

"It's no big deal because McDonald's does it too" is not really a great justification for business behavior.

There is a difference between giving a discount for multiple items and deliberately pricing single items so high that people buy the package instead.

[edit]
Just to clarify, I wasn't saying that one gives a discount for multiple items and the other prices single items too high... I think they both price single items too high. What I am saying is that they are not giving anyone a 'discount'.



NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:11
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to dnoyeB

Re: Comcast

said by dnoyeB:

At my new place I expected to be able to get DSL but it seems they can't provide DSL but they can provide UVerse!?

Eh? U-verse is DSL!
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum


anon523

@comcast.net

Not mentioned

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the fact that when you bundle you are also reusing the same cabling to access the other portion. I would wager a decent chunk of the bill from a provider like Comcast goes into supporting the infrastructure, service calls, and truck rolls. If you have one service or three services the drops, splitter, poll agreements, etc are all the same. If a storm goes by and knocks out your tv it probably also knocked out your internet and phone as well.



NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:11
reply to serge87

Re: I am shocked...SHOCKED!

Shirley you jest, Sally!


cramer
Premium
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC
kudos:9
reply to dnoyeB

Re: Comcast

They can, and they do. They install a trap to block anything below a certain frequency -- somewhere around ch.68 here. They petitioned the FCC to drop the "no encryption" rule for broadcast channels so they don't have to install those anymore -- translation, they only ever need roll a truck *once* to plug up cable; they can enable and disable service at the push of button from then on.


cramer
Premium
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC
kudos:9
reply to Killersaurus

Re: Internet Only Here

And that 'a little bit more' is on a promotional price. It goes WAY up after that. Have you looked how much those fools charge for voice? My AT&T landline has never even approached that much.

(If you make hundreds of hours of LD calls per month, it might make sense. But that's what VoIP plans, Skype, and *cell phones* are for. )



antdude
A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
join:2001-03-25
United State
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to NormanS

Re: Comcast

said by NormanS:

said by dnoyeB:

At my new place I expected to be able to get DSL but it seems they can't provide DSL but they can provide UVerse!?

Eh? U-verse is DSL!

I thought they have fiber?


ITALIAN926

join:2003-08-16
kudos:2
reply to BiggA

Re: Comcast does it

These are only promotional rates we're talking about here. Once the promotion are up, its a much larger difference.



88615298
Premium
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness
reply to CXM_Splicer

Re: And this is different than McDonald's how?

said by CXM_Splicer:

"It's no big deal because McDonald's does it too" is not really a great justification for business behavior.

It's not justifying it. It's merely pointing out there isn't this huge outrage and "let's sue and let's get the government involved" mantra toward McDonald's. All I ask for is CONSISTANCY and no HYPOCRISY.

34764170

join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON
reply to antdude

Re: Comcast

For that 1% or less of their customer base. The other 99% are on DSL.



antdude
A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
join:2001-03-25
United State
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

said by 34764170:

For that 1% or less of their customer base. The other 99% are on DSL.

Wow, I thought they were trying to get rid of DSL/copper lines.

34764170

join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON

said by antdude:

said by 34764170:

For that 1% or less of their customer base. The other 99% are on DSL.

Wow, I thought they were trying to get rid of DSL/copper lines.

When they say DSL they're referring to users on 1.5 / 3 Mbps connections, but U-Verse is still DSL. They're also rolling out new IP-DSLAMs in many areas. So contrary to what they might say DSL isn't going away anytime soon.