dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2012-11-13 16:34:07: The Wall Street Journal has realized that ISPs jack up the cost of standalone Internet so users are less likely to ditch bundled television or phone services. ..

gatorkram
Need for Speed
Premium Member
join:2002-07-22
Winterville, NC

gatorkram

Premium Member

Not about us..

Sadly, none of the pricing is about us, it's all about what makes them the most money for the least effort.

I understand they have to make a profit, but I think it's fair to say most of the providers we talk about make a healthy profit, and overpay the top execs to boot.

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5

Premium Member

Re: Not about us..

said by gatorkram:

Sadly, none of the pricing is about us, it's all about what makes them the most money for the least effort.

Unfortunately, the USSC has refused to review rulings by lower Federal courts that said bundling of services by cable companies isn't an anti-trust violation. So don't expect any changes anytime soon.

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

tshirt

Premium Member

What business does..

Do you local supermarkets each advertize some on sale item each week, hoping the majority of shoppers coming in for the discount steak will fill alot of their cart with normal priced higher profit items?

Virtually every business will give a discount when you buy multiple items, expecting them to make the single "best " item the loss leader is silly.

Corehhi
join:2002-01-28
Bluffton, SC

1 recommendation

Corehhi

Re: What business does..

said by tshirt:

Do you local supermarkets each advertize some on sale item each week, hoping the majority of shoppers coming in for the discount steak will fill alot of their cart with normal priced higher profit items?

Virtually every business will give a discount when you buy multiple items, expecting them to make the single "best " item the loss leader is silly.

My cable/phone/ISP works like this. First off I have no other choice but Sat for internet and cable. Their bundle deal last I saw was 1.5 meg down internet, digital channels but they are in 4 by 3 and basic phone service for $99. For 5 meg and HDTV package it costs about $70 more a month. There is no price advantage with bundling in fact they make the bundle crap so you will up grade. Don't have a bundle like myself and they simply charge more for stand alone services. BTW they don't offer 1.5 meg internet service as a stand alone 5 meg is the lowest tier. Tell me they aren't trying to get people to upgrade to more expensive packages. Sat internet is not an option but that would be the only other we have. Anyone else have digital channels but everyone is in 4 by 3???? You know how crappy that looks when everything is cut off???

nononnaa
@184.94.231.x

nononnaa

Anon

Move on Nothing to see here

Slow news day. Hell fill up with gas and get a free Ice scrapper. Buy the whole month of Lunch tickets for your kid and get a deal. WTF Nothing new here

dnoyeB
Ferrous Phallus
join:2000-10-09
Southfield, MI

dnoyeB

Comcast

Comcast does this but I always thought it was because they could not stop basic cable once the modem was active. Once they go digital I suppose they will be able to stop it.

I was always after a dry DSL line with ATT but their service to my house sucked. At my new place I expected to be able to get DSL but it seems they can't provide DSL but they can provide UVerse!? Oh well. Ill stick with Comcast...

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS

MVM

Re: Comcast

said by dnoyeB:

At my new place I expected to be able to get DSL but it seems they can't provide DSL but they can provide UVerse!?

Eh? U-verse is DSL!

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
join:2001-03-25
US

antdude

Premium Member

said by NormanS:

said by dnoyeB:

At my new place I expected to be able to get DSL but it seems they can't provide DSL but they can provide UVerse!?

Eh? U-verse is DSL!

I thought they have fiber?
34764170 (banned)
join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned)

For that 1% or less of their customer base. The other 99% are on DSL.

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
US

antdude

Premium Member

said by 34764170:

Wow, I thought they were trying to get rid of DSL/copper lines.
34764170 (banned)
join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned)

said by antdude:

said by 34764170:

When they say DSL they're referring to users on 1.5 / 3 Mbps connections, but U-Verse is still DSL. They're also rolling out new IP-DSLAMs in many areas. So contrary to what they might say DSL isn't going away anytime soon.

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
US

antdude

Premium Member

said by 34764170:

said by antdude:

said by 34764170:

When they say DSL they're referring to users on 1.5 / 3 Mbps connections, but U-Verse is still DSL. They're also rolling out new IP-DSLAMs in many areas. So contrary to what they might say DSL isn't going away anytime soon.

I wished Verizon did that or better spread FIOS.

NormanS
MVM
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

1 recommendation

NormanS to antdude

MVM

to antdude
said by antdude:

said by 34764170:

They have FTTN for the most part; fiber to a neighborhood "node", similar to the MSOs; except their "nodes" are powered cabinets which contain remote DSLAMs. FTTP only in "greenfield communities", and very few of those.

They have an "Internet-only U-verse" service they call, "IPDSLAM". It is mostly ADSL2+ from the CO, though there is some VDSL from VRADs (the powered neighborhood cabinets). They are trying to move their ADSL (non-U-verse) customers over to IPDSLAM service. And they would like to sell off the copper plant where they would rather not try to service with any form of DSL. If the loop length is greater than 15,000 feet, or so, servicing with DSL faster than 1.5 Mbs becomes seriously problematic; so they would prefer to sell than to expend capital on additional remote DSLAMs.

I don't know the actual percent of the plant which is all fiber, but I doubt that it is as high as 2.5%. The rest is a hybrid plant; fiber to the neighborhood (node), copper to the premises.

I hate that! I meant, "FTTN", but managed to type, "FTTH"!
cramer
Premium Member
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC
Westell 6100
Cisco PIX 501

cramer to dnoyeB

Premium Member

to dnoyeB
They can, and they do. They install a trap to block anything below a certain frequency -- somewhere around ch.68 here. They petitioned the FCC to drop the "no encryption" rule for broadcast channels so they don't have to install those anymore -- translation, they only ever need roll a truck *once* to plug up cable; they can enable and disable service at the push of button from then on.

bemis
Premium Member
join:2008-07-18
united state

bemis to dnoyeB

Premium Member

to dnoyeB
In my area Comcast is actually the best choice...

Comcast will give you their "16/2" service for $29.99/mo for 6 months, then $42.95/mo for 6 months and then $62.95/mo ... but as we know they will typically discount back to at least $42.95/mo on a regular basis.

FIOS has no new subscriber discounts, cheapest I can get it for is $69.99/mo.

I cannot get DSL because when I did have FIOS they clipped my copper and will not re-install it.

Wireless is prohibitively expensive when you consider caps. If were faced with only a $69.99/mo FIOS or $62.95/mo for Comcast choice I probably would switch over to wireless, just because it would probably work out to a lower overall cost to share my byte bucket between a smartphone and personal hot-spot (or maybe i'd just tether)

NormanS
MVM
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS

MVM

said by bemis:

In my area Comcast is actually the best choice...

Obviously variable. Comcast won't give me a /32 static for any price, and charges a business premium for a /29 static.

I've got 15/.75 (could be 12/1 with Annex M in force), a DNS zone, a /32 static, all for $26.48.

But Comcast $62.95 is their unbundled price, yes?

dnoyeB
Ferrous Phallus
Southfield, MI

dnoyeB

When I search for DSL on the ATT website it comes back saying 'DSL is not available in your area but go to this other page and see if you can get UVerse.'

My last house could not get UVerse but could get DSL. I don't get AT&T.

NormanS
MVM
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS

MVM

said by dnoyeB:

When I search for DSL on the ATT website it comes back saying 'DSL is not available in your area but go to this other page and see if you can get UVerse.'

My last house could not get UVerse but could get DSL. I don't get AT&T.

It's ... complicated. But AT&T wants to decommission their older, ADSL equipment; I believe this is because it is harder to find vendors still making, or even supporting it. They are replacing it with newer, ADSL2+ equipment. Along with this they are replacing the older ATM network , and phasing out PPPoE authentication.

In addition, they can't deliver IPTV over copper loops in excess of about 3500 feet. So they are rolling out "IPDSLAM"; using PTM on the backhaul (instead of ATM), and 802.1x authentication (instead of PPPoE) for loops up to 12,000 feet (or so) ... and calling it, "U-verse HSI". This newer IPDSLAM service will use ADSL2+ (usually for CO connected residences), or VDSL.

So "U-verse" will not always include television service (IPTV). They also use it for marketing their newer, Internet-only IPDSLAM service. As they decommission ADSL equipment, they will no longer offer the older ADSL service.

dnoyeB
Ferrous Phallus
Southfield, MI

dnoyeB

The problem is they want to charge me for that. I don't have any desire to pay more just because the choose to give the product a different name.

Comcast is giving me internet for about $25/month (+$15 w/o TV). AT&T is competitive with their DSL offering, but they are not with their UVerse offering. Basically they shrunk their portfolio and squeezed me out.

NormanS
MVM
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

1 edit

NormanS

MVM

said by dnoyeB:

The problem is they want to charge me for that. I don't have any desire to pay more just because the choose to give the product a different name.

A different name? It is a different product!

Comcast is giving me internet for about $25/month (+$15 w/o TV). AT&T is competitive with their DSL offering, but they are not with their UVerse offering. Basically they shrunk their portfolio and squeezed me out.

Interesting. Looking at their availability page for a former residence ... 1 year promotion for $19.95 a month. Probably not a "dry loop", though, if that is what you are looking for. Same price given for "at&t Yahoo! HSI Pro" (the old ADSL package) and for "U-verse HSI Pro" (the newer IPDSLAM package.

P.S. Just received a postal offer. I went to the web site and entered the "invitation code". Here is the cheapest deal offered to me:

Postal offer ...

They can't offer a match for my current service; capability, or price.
Killersaurus
join:2012-09-17

1 recommendation

Killersaurus

Internet Only Here

I'm one of those people paying for internet-only service from Time Warner. Sure, I could get cable and phone for "a little bit" more, but I don't want to pay more. I want to pay as little as possible.

ArrayList
DevOps
Premium Member
join:2005-03-19
Mullica Hill, NJ

2 recommendations

ArrayList

Premium Member

Re: Internet Only Here

I just don't want those other services. They would go unused.

LadyL
Premium Member
join:2002-09-18
Lorain, OH

LadyL

Premium Member

Same here...I use my tv with a dvd player to watch 130 tv series and 3000+ movies in my collection . I rarely use my cellphone and very few landline calls are made. I won't give up my landline either. Bundling with TW is still more expensive than the 3 services I pay for separately with 3 different providers.
BTW, I haven't watched tv - regular or cable since 2006.
tkdslr
join:2004-04-24
Pompano Beach, FL

tkdslr to ArrayList

to ArrayList
Ditto here...

I've use minimal DVR'd SAT package plus OTA for my limited TV viewing.

My crappy AT&T POTS service, is gone for good.. Same goes their xDSL service..
I'm considering taking down the obsolete overhead wires connecting the pole to my house.
That service was replaced by cell phones and Blue tooth XLINK Bttn gateway.

Internet, tethered through cell phone. (Because of crippled xDSL, I never got into the habit of watching too much Youtube.)

Cut my monthly expenses by over 50%.

I'm NOT going back.
cramer
Premium Member
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC
Westell 6100
Cisco PIX 501

cramer to Killersaurus

Premium Member

to Killersaurus
And that 'a little bit more' is on a promotional price. It goes WAY up after that. Have you looked how much those fools charge for voice? My AT&T landline has never even approached that much.

(If you make hundreds of hours of LD calls per month, it might make sense. But that's what VoIP plans, Skype, and *cell phones* are for. )
Madtown
Premium Member
join:2008-04-26
93637-2905

Madtown

Premium Member

I have internet only from Comcast. I have Performance and that is all I need. I don't watch that much TV and when I do, it's Netflix instant streaming. I have tons of video sources I can use to past my time. YouTube, Justin, Twitch, Netflix, and whatever else is out there.
QLR
join:2009-06-23
Tallahassee, FL

QLR

I see that now...

Got a mailer from CenturyLink with that $29.99 Internet offer when you bundle. If I don't bundle Internet with a $40 + tax phone, andchoose Internet only, the cost is $76.10. No way that 1.5M DSL is worth $76 when I have a cable choice.
88615298 (banned)
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

88615298 (banned)

And this is different than McDonald's how?

price a Big Mac, fries and a drink individually then price a value meal. A Big Mac by itself isn't much cheaper than just getting the value meal.
tmc8080
Brooklyn, NY

tmc8080

Re: And this is different than McDonald's how?

said by 88615298:

price a Big Mac, fries and a drink individually then price a value meal. A Big Mac by itself isn't much cheaper than just getting the value meal.

first of all, no company makes public their actual costs.. as it is a trade secret.. whether it be McDonalds, Apple or Verizon.

at least with fast food places have "a-la carte value" menus (usually no more than $1.49).. there is very little of value when 15/5 megabits is being sold for $70 a month. that's like charging $2.99 for the big mac and $2.75 for the ordinary hamburger with 1/3rd the meat, fixins and everything else that makes it a value. Actual price range it SHOULD be.. $.79 - $1.29/// 15/5? no more than $39.99 these days.. and that's overly generous.

btw, if you want to live a long life.. eat as litte of the fast food stuff as you can.. you'd be better off licking the poles of a subway car at the end of the day compared with what the unskilled minimum wage labor does with your food before you get it.
CXM_Splicer
Looking at the bigger picture
Premium Member
join:2011-08-11
NYC

1 edit

CXM_Splicer to 88615298

Premium Member

to 88615298
"It's no big deal because McDonald's does it too" is not really a great justification for business behavior.

There is a difference between giving a discount for multiple items and deliberately pricing single items so high that people buy the package instead.

[edit]
Just to clarify, I wasn't saying that one gives a discount for multiple items and the other prices single items too high... I think they both price single items too high. What I am saying is that they are not giving anyone a 'discount'.
88615298 (banned)
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

88615298 (banned)

said by CXM_Splicer:

"It's no big deal because McDonald's does it too" is not really a great justification for business behavior.

It's not justifying it. It's merely pointing out there isn't this huge outrage and "let's sue and let's get the government involved" mantra toward McDonald's. All I ask for is CONSISTANCY and no HYPOCRISY.
CXM_Splicer
Looking at the bigger picture
Premium Member
join:2011-08-11
NYC

CXM_Splicer

Premium Member

I think the outrage is because people consider broadband service a necessary utility that should be regulated. McDonald's certainly is not necessary... and there are many more real options for food then there are for broadband. The options for broadband are not real options since 'they all do it'.

I agree with you on the consistency point though and would advocate stronger consumer protection laws in general.
Rrascal
join:2012-12-03

Rrascal to 88615298

to 88615298
said by 88615298:

It's merely pointing out there isn't this huge outrage and "let's sue and let's get the government involved" mantra toward McDonald's. All I ask for is CONSISTANCY and no HYPOCRISY.

You are confused. No one is showing any hypocrisy. Your metaphor doesn't fit in a multitude of ways.
a) you imply that buying a coke in a McDonalds is at or near the same price as a burger, coke, fries meal combination. At my mcdonalds it is 1/4 the price of the combo.
b) broadband regulation is something routinely discussed in political discourse. While not strictly a utility in all aspects, it is effectively a monopoly or duopoly in many areas. It is absolutely valid to discuss or advocate getting the government involved.

It is your position that is hypocritical and inconsistent: These providers lobby the federal state and local in the billions to obtain government involvement laws and rulings in their favor (often creating anti competitive atmospheres) , yet your contention seems to be it is ok for the providers to lobby but not the customers???
GTFan
join:2004-12-03
Austell, GA

GTFan to 88615298

to 88615298
said by 88615298:

Um, maybe because in my area if I want true HSI I get a choice of Comcast, and uh, Comcast?

That's what is different than McDonald's, there is little to no competition. But it's all good as long as you can be an FCC commish and then leave to be head of the NCTA, or a corporate shill for Comcast.

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

Bundling works for me

I prefer to receive cable television (since I watch a lot of TV) and I also have high speed Internet (a must have) and home phone (no dropped calls, superior call quality, and I have a burglar alarm that dials the central station). I remember the days when each item was billed separately and was much more costly than today's bundles from the cablecos.

Yes, I do have an iPhone but I prefer to use that on the go. I don't buy this Internet video theory. I prefer to watch live TV (such as Fox News, Weather Channel, and the local newscasts). Internet is self explanatory, my Internet addiction is as bad as my addiction to Diet Mountain Dew/soft drinks. I even pay $40 on top of my expensive bundle to get Extreme 105 on Comcast.

••••
tmc8080
Brooklyn, NY

tmc8080

another angle..

it also prevents them from subscribing in the first place... the sweet deals of 2010 being gone, there is verly little reason go back..

it's difficult to find the right expression on youtube... but here goes:

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· 9DMCCI-8
serge87
join:2009-11-29
New York

serge87

I am shocked...SHOCKED!

Well slap my ass and call me sally...who saw that coming!

NormanS
MVM
San Jose, CA

NormanS

MVM

Re: I am shocked...SHOCKED!

Shirley you jest, Sally!
BiggA
Premium Member
join:2005-11-23
Central CT

BiggA

Premium Member

Comcast does it

And they are anti-competitive about it, although they're not overly obnoxious about it, it's a $15/mo difference, or you can get the discounted rate with basic cable, which is usually about $15/mo.

ITALIAN926
join:2003-08-16

ITALIAN926

Re: Comcast does it

These are only promotional rates we're talking about here. Once the promotion are up, its a much larger difference.
BiggA
Premium Member
join:2005-11-23
Central CT

BiggA

Premium Member

Re: Comcast does it

The difference on a permanent basis is $15/mo. The difference might actually be bigger during the promo period, as they usually only give the promos to customers who also get cable or phone service.

anon523
@comcast.net

anon523

Anon

Not mentioned

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the fact that when you bundle you are also reusing the same cabling to access the other portion. I would wager a decent chunk of the bill from a provider like Comcast goes into supporting the infrastructure, service calls, and truck rolls. If you have one service or three services the drops, splitter, poll agreements, etc are all the same. If a storm goes by and knocks out your tv it probably also knocked out your internet and phone as well.
Skippy25
join:2000-09-13
Hazelwood, MO

Skippy25

Re: Not mentioned

With your same logic of using the same line then shouldn't all of their stand alone services be outrageously priced if you get just one?

Internet $70
Phone $70
Basic Tv $70

However, the reality of it is that you dont pay those prices for the other stand alone services as you would get them from someone else when possible. However, being that internet is very monopolistic, duopolistic if you are lucky, they run it the way the do.

cork1958
Cork
Premium Member
join:2000-02-26

cork1958

Premium Member

Just realized this, huh?

This is coming from one of the largest newspapers around?

Shows you how much the media knows about anything!