dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2012-11-14 08:17:15: "We just got it today and I’ve been stuck in front of my laptop for the last few hours," Mike Demarais, founder of Threedee, tells Ars Technica about his new Google Fiber connection. "It’s unbelievable. I’m probably not going to leave the house. ..

page: 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · next

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium Member
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ

AVD

Premium Member

'I'm Probably Not Going to Leave the House,'

if I had it I wouldn't leave either....

dellsweig
Extreme Aerobatics
MVM
join:2003-12-10
Campbell Hall, NY

dellsweig

MVM

decisions decisions

well - do I move to Colorado for the 'rocky mountain high' or Kansas City for the 1 gig internet - decisions decisions......

aaronwt
Premium Member
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA

aaronwt

Premium Member

what happened....

to the gigabit speeds?

Gordo74
Premium Member
join:2003-10-28
Pittsburgh, PA

Gordo74

Premium Member

I imagine that this is the same thing as we were seeing when FiOS first premiered. The pipe at the end is big enough, but the routing between your house and ANY server isn't good enough to support the whole line.
88615298 (banned)
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

2 recommendations

88615298 (banned) to AVD

to AVD

Re: 'I'm Probably Not Going to Leave the House,'

Yeah he can download that page in .002 seconds instead of .1 seconds. Imagine all the time he is saving!
Expand your moderator at work

fanboiiscool
@ibm.com

fanboiiscool to 88615298

Anon

to 88615298

yeah imagine working from home and saving on food spending as well as fuel , tolls and other small things like that.

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5 to 88615298

Premium Member

to 88615298
said by 88615298:

Yeah he can download that page in .002 seconds instead of .1 seconds. Imagine all the time he is saving!

Speeds like this are only good if you are doing major file transfers(or BitTorrent activity) OR have a residence with a 1/2 dozen people all trying to watch HD movies at the same time. For web browsing it means nothing over what the average cable customer is getting.

ITALIAN926
join:2003-08-16

ITALIAN926 to 88615298

to 88615298
LOL Awesome

norbert26
Premium Member
join:2010-08-10
Warwick, RI

norbert26 to AVD

Premium Member

to AVD
Except for the fact most people HAVE to leave the house for things such as WORK to pay for things such as the electric bill , taxes , mortgage or rent and buy things such as food .
88615298 (banned)
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

88615298 (banned) to FFH5

to FFH5
even if you had 6 people watching Netflix( which only allows 2 devices at a time by the way ) at 4800 kbps that would be just under 29 Mbps. Even if you had double that for overhead that's 58 Mbps. 700 Mbps is overkill at this point. But they're ready for 20 years from now.

ITALIAN926
join:2003-08-16

ITALIAN926 to aaronwt

to aaronwt

Re: what happened....

Didnt you see the asterisk? "Up to 1Gbps" hahaha

Wow. 600 Mbps, who gives a crap really except the 1% of computer / Torrent nerds.

They all might as well post "Up to 1 Pbps" with a fiber system, because it IS possible with equipment swaps in the future.

Id also like to see that speedtest run to a server in Florida, not Kansas City.

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium Member
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ

1 recommendation

AVD to norbert26

Premium Member

to norbert26

said by norbert26:

Except for the fact most people HAVE to leave the house for things such as WORK to pay for things such as the electric bill , taxes , mortgage or rent and buy things such as food .

With that kind of bandwidth, you could do a lot of telecommuting..

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
join:2005-03-14
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski to 88615298

Premium Member

to 88615298
said by 88615298:

I pay over $70 for 25/2.5 so yes, it would be nice to get a boatload of more speed for the same price.
But then again of course you have to come in with the opposing view everytime. Nice work.

battleop
join:2005-09-28

battleop to AVD

to AVD

For most people it's not really an option no matter what kind of internet speed you have.

SimilarSpeed
@unc.edu

SimilarSpeed to Gordo74

Anon

to Gordo74

At my desktop here at the University, I have to pick the DC speedtest.net server to max out speeds. My building has gigabit to the building uplink switch and fiber gigabit out to the campus network which has multiple 10 gig redundant connections. These are similar speeds to the google fiber. I would like to see some NDT test results. What do they get to »ntd.ncren.net in RTP NC where our campus connects to?

»www.speedtest.net/result ··· 2573.png
Crusty
join:2008-11-11
Sanger, TX

2 edits

Crusty to FFH5

to FFH5

said by 88615298:

These speeds might not be for you....I'm guessing here...they're not.

But for the many, hundreds, thousands, tens of thousands and so on of people who pay more for something 100th the speed of this or worse, we'd gladly take it for the same price (or cheaper for that) than what we pay now.

Not all of us are BitTorrent nerds or even dl one illegal thing. There are countless folks out there, and in these forums, that have a house that have MULTIPLE (ie...a dozen or more) devices constantly pounding away on the silly "up to 10Mb" connection (if you're lucky to get those speeds). Care to guess what happens to that 10Mb connection? It goes poop.

Current telcos/cablecos need to get with it and give society what they want now vs when they decide it's time.

The internet will become a necessity whether anyone here thinks it or not. There's not a single person in my life, family, work, personal or just mere acquaintances that aren't connected to the interweb in some form or another.

*offsoapbox*

EliteData
EliteData
Premium Member
join:2003-07-06
Philippines

1 recommendation

EliteData

Premium Member

ports/protocols

what ports/protocols are currently closed on this network line ?

SimilarSpeed
@unc.edu

SimilarSpeed to Gordo74

Anon

to Gordo74

At my desktop here at the University, I have to pick the DC speedtest.net server to max out speeds. My building has gigabit to the building uplink switch and fiber gigabit out to the campus network which has multiple 10 gig redundant connections. These are similar speeds to the google fiber. I would like to see some NDT test results. What do they get to »ntd.ncren.net in RTP NC where our campus connects to?

»www.speedtest.net/result ··· 2573.png

buzz_4_20
join:2003-09-20
Dover, NH

buzz_4_20

This makes all that CLOUD stuff a good user experience.

I could actually do an online backup without taking weeks for it to complete.
xenophon
join:2007-09-17

xenophon

Google fiber TV

This isn't being talked about at all. There's a lot of opportunity for a paradigm shift here. The DVR/STB box has relatively more open, bi-directional APIs that will allow for sophisticated apps to be created on the remote (which is a Nexus tablet). There can be much more interactivity between the channel being watched and the tablet with ties into Google ecosystem, like Google Wallet.

Advertisers could simultaneously place an ad in a frame in tablet remote app during commercial on TV. Click on the tablet ad, product can be directly purchased with Google wallet. Advertisers love impulse buys. The cable/sat operators don't have a broad enough ecosystem to do things like this and they don't want 3rd parties developing apps on their system.

It depends on if Google can convince advertisers and content providers to explore a new ecosystem for TV way beyond Hulu and Tivo.

recoil
Premium Member
join:2005-02-22
Exton, PA

4 edits

2 recommendations

recoil

Premium Member

Old people & trolls

I don't understand why there are so many negative comments here. The reason we don't use the extra bandwidth is because it is not available across our entire infrastructure.

Videos don't stream in uncompressed 1080P (OR HIGHER), music is not downloaded & streamed at lossless or near lossless quality, images are compressed, files are zipped & compressed, large updates for drivers and updates are compressed, and if the download is large enough it actually takes quite a while to decompress.

As someone mentioned above, you can back up your entire hard drive or access your files remotely without everything taking FOREVER. Now, my hard drive would take several days to back up online with my current connection, whereas I used to have to wait all night to download an update to a game on 56K.

I play games in the 10GB range now, and one of the reasons they are not more widely distributed digitally is because a lot of people don't want to spend the time to download a file that large on DSL or 10MB cable line.

Think of your mobile phone connection, you have a 2GB cap so it limits your ability to use it.

Here you have people paying $70 a month for gb symmetrical for the same price many people pay for 25mbps down. Hell, let's charge you that and put you back on DSL if you are happy with it.

Bring on high quality internet, uncompressed 1080P is 6MB per FRAME.

We have compressed voice, compressed video chat, compressed freaking everything.

Why bash the guy for testing his new connection on a legal torrent? What other large files do you suggest he uses?

Do we need 1GBPS now? Hell no, only businesses do.

Should we be upgrading our infrastructure to support future technology? Hell YES!

You old sad sorry sons of b*s grow up, stop stifling technological growth... Grumpy old men...

What the hell are you trolls doing on a website about broadband growth and technology if you are too air headed or unintelligent to remember that people were using 1.44mb floppy disks 15 years ago that couldn't fit an entire power point presentation on it, and you could barely download images, BUT YOU COULD SURE READ TEXT LIKE A NEWS PAPER QUITE SNAPPY on 14.4KBPS MODEMS! Now you have USB sticks that fit in your pocket that hold 64GB or more.

Go buy a newspaper, get off the internet troll.

BF69, you are truly disappointing, you of all people should know the current state of our broadband infrastructure since you have been here since 2004. I guess you like megacorporations like the monopolized internet and tv market, recording industry, motion picture industry, screwing us royally on prices because customers like you don't ask for anything better and shell out maximum prices every single month to get what is just good enough for the masses, while they reap massive profits and pillage government funds out of our pockets that are supposed to be used to build out networks, and the networks never come, and they never get better.

We are starting to see the light with LTE finally, but for god sakes stop with telling people it's overkill, it's not. Why isn't LTE being built out faster? No landlines to support the bandwidth wirelessly.

/endrant

PapaMidnight
join:2009-01-13
Baltimore, MD

1 edit

PapaMidnight to AVD

to AVD

said by AVD:

if I had it I wouldn't leave either....

Somehow, I feel like this applies here...

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· 0bm0TMkI
page: 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · next