dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2012-11-14 08:17:15: "We just got it today and I’ve been stuck in front of my laptop for the last few hours," Mike Demarais, founder of Threedee, tells Ars Technica about his new Google Fiber connection. "It’s unbelievable. I’m probably not going to leave the house. ..

prev · 1 · 2

MJB33
join:2012-01-29

MJB33

google fiber might have data caps in the future

if google can't keep up with the costs (b.s) they might put a data cap on it.. only time will tell..
Moffetts
join:2005-05-09
San Mateo, CA

Moffetts

Re: google fiber might have data caps in the future

said by MJB33:

if google can't keep up with the costs (b.s) they might put a data cap on it.. only time will tell..

What would their motivation be to do that? They're not earning money on this as it is, and caps would limit their ability to harvest data. That, of course, is the whole point of this project.

MJB33
join:2012-01-29

MJB33

Re: google fiber might have data caps in the future

i live in canada and have to deal with caps ( mom's ). not at my dad's since i don't have a data cap, but it is slow.

moms - rogers (express) - 25mbps download / 2mbps upload /
80 gb a month

dads - acn(dsl) - unlimited, unthrottled
5mbps download
800kbps upload

ontario sucks for internet - to bad we don't even have ftth in most of ontario - very limited
floydb1982
join:2004-08-25
Kent, WA

floydb1982

700Mbps no possible on a laptop or desktop

In the first place when you buy a new desktop or laptop computer the fastest the onboard Ethernet will ever do is 1000Mbps witch the real world transfer speed's of 125Mbps. You would need a 10Gbps Ethernet port to do 700Mbps. A 10Gbps Ethernet can transfer up to 1.25Gbps.
JTR
join:2012-05-19
Westmont, IL

JTR

Re: 700Mbps no possible on a laptop or desktop

Uhh no. 1Gbps = 125MB/s

Google is 1Gbps. A typical NIC is 1Gbps.
Wilsdom
join:2009-08-06

Wilsdom

Re: 700Mbps no possible on a laptop or desktop

floydb1982 is confused, but the typical NIC probably will fall quite a bit short of 1000bps. The enthusiasts at least feel they need to upgrade to an intel NIC
tim tim tim
join:2010-08-14
Lutz, FL

tim tim tim

70% of what they claimed?

wheres the gig? hardly even anyone on and were 300 mbps shy of what they claimed they could do?

not that its not impressive but if any other provider promised a gig and delivered 70% of that you guys would be crying all year about it.
Wilsdom
join:2009-08-06

Wilsdom

Re: 70% of what they claimed?

Could be his own hardware that is the limitation.
JTR
join:2012-05-19
Westmont, IL
MikroTik CCR2004-1G-12S-2XS
Asus RT-AC86
Asus RT-AC68

JTR to tim tim tim

to tim tim tim
I've heard people claim it's fine, and justify it by claiming "it's still ridiculously fast!"

I should start selling people i5 CPUs and call them i7s. It's the same thing - the consumer is promised one thing, they get another, and don't complain because they're under informed/ignorant or think it's still good because they get most of their connection.

This is like paying for 10Mbps but only getting 7Mbps, except you're getting (and loosing) quite a bit more speed.

Rey
@cogentco.com

Rey

Anon

Meanwhile.....

ATT DSL still offers 1.5MB download speed and 750KB upload speed, pathetic! Uverse isn't any better if you can get it in your area.
Crusty
join:2008-11-11
Sanger, TX

Crusty

Re: Meanwhile.....

said by Rey :

ATT DSL still offers 1.5MB download speed and 750KB upload speed, pathetic! Uverse isn't any better if you can get it in your area.

^^^^^This

Is the reason for majority of my rants. Horrible speeds but forced to pay top dollar.
tim tim tim
join:2010-08-14
Lutz, FL

tim tim tim

Re: Meanwhile.....

I agree that DSL sucks and I Feel for you guys stuck in those markets.

To expect this price to become the norm is retarded though, its clear Google is in this for profit and definitely LOSING money, they just have deep enough pockets for it to be OK.. Most of these companies there "competing with" only have their telecom/video product to make money so I doubt well ever see prices that low from them (especially as we consider inflation).

Regardless, I'm glad their paving the way for possible future growth and technology in the market.. Maybe their large investment will drive down the costs of these products in the long run for others to offer stuff closer to this.

Malcolm
@fvcu.bc.ca

Malcolm

Anon

Limiting factor = Harddrives

As most of you are aware, 700mbps = 90mB/s which is beyond the write speed of virtually all spindle based harddrives on the market, and even first and second generation solid state drives. Then factor in that many of these tests were done with Flash plugins in their browser, and you have to speculate on how fast browser cache was being filled before it was allowed to write to disk.

The default cache for many torrent applications is 8mb and will cause disk errors on a piddly 100mbit connection. I thought I was hot shit when I ran into this and 100mbit was brand new.

The limiting factor here is more likely the end users hardware.

Stop freaking out. It's still a trial.

aaronwt
Premium Member
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
Asus RT-AX89

aaronwt

Premium Member

Re: Limiting factor = Harddrives

said by Malcolm :

As most of you are aware, 700mbps = 90mB/s which is beyond the write speed of virtually all spindle based harddrives on the market, and even first and second generation solid state drives. Then factor in that many of these tests were done with Flash plugins in their browser, and you have to speculate on how fast browser cache was being filled before it was allowed to write to disk.

The default cache for many torrent applications is 8mb and will cause disk errors on a piddly 100mbit connection. I thought I was hot shit when I ran into this and 100mbit was brand new.

The limiting factor here is more likely the end users hardware.

Stop freaking out. It's still a trial.

Even my green spindle hard drives read/write at faster than 90MB/s. This is nothing new. I easily get 95MB/s throughput when transferring files over my network to any of the thirty plus green hard drives I have in my unRAID servers. The WD green ones are slowest while my 5900 rpm drives go over 105MB/s and with a 7200rpm drive I can go over 110MB/s going to my cache drive on both my unRAID boxes. now if I go PC to PC between SSDs or between my RAid 0 setups I can easily get faster than those 7200rpm spindle drives.

Even my drives ten years I could get close to 600Mb/s throughput over my gigabit network when I transferred my HD recordings. Now, Ten years later in 2012 the hard drives are much much faster. 90MB/s is easy to achieve from almost any spindle drive at 5400 rpm or greater.
prev · 1 · 2