dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2012-11-14 09:08:49: A new security vulnerability has been found in Skype that allows anyone to change your password and take control of your Skype account. ..

pandora
Premium Member
join:2001-06-01
Outland

1 edit

pandora

Premium Member

Sigh

One day companies have got to get hold of security. Stuff like this happens too often.

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
join:2001-03-25
US

antdude

Premium Member

said by pandora:

One day companies generally have got to get hold of security generally.

It won't happen.
brianiscool
join:2000-08-16
Tampa, FL

brianiscool

russian site

Anyone know the URL to that website?

Mospaw
My socks don't match.

join:2001-01-08
New Braunfels, TX

2 recommendations

Mospaw to pandora

to pandora

Re: Sigh

said by pandora:

As long as they have humans programming the computers, or even robot programmers who were programmed by humans (and so on and so on), this won't happen.

Security has to be perfect to be absolute. The attackers only need to find one vector.

Disclaimer: I am a human who programs computers.
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd

Premium Member

And perfect security can never be done even if you had perfect programmers assisted by perfect robot programmers.

As lets face it, the #1 hole is still the the meat bag in the chair. Get a user to click yes on something and the hacker just infected their PC and sniffed their passwords.
hardly
Premium Member
join:2004-02-10
USA
(Software) pfSense
Asus RT-AC68
Netgear CM600

hardly

Premium Member

fixed

They say it is fixed.

»thenextweb.com/microsoft ··· ffected/
bugabuga
join:2004-06-10
Austin, TX

bugabuga

Months to have someone scratch their behind to fix it

What the most frustrating part is, it's been reported to them months ago. Response? None. Support staff reading off of scripts. Email reports being ignored.

And as soon as a couple of big news/blog sites reported it -- immediate swift reaction and a fix in a few hours. So, it didn't even take long to fix this. Horrible
zerog
join:2002-02-10
Carrollton, TX

2 edits

zerog to Mospaw

to Mospaw

quote:
Security has to be perfect to be absolute. The attackers only need to find one vector.

disagree. Security has to be "good enough" or sufficiently secure proportional to what is being protected.

That is obviously not happening here, and in most of the cases where we see "security fails"

There is no "absolute security" - anyone who starts talking that way is trying to sell you anti-virus software, or some "enterprise class security system that will keep the hackers out!".

The only absolute perfect security that can be obtained is for something which absolutely does not perfectly exist.

plencnerb
Premium Member
join:2000-09-25
53403-1242

plencnerb to hardly

Premium Member

to hardly

Re: fixed

Click for full size
Version 6.0.0.120
Click for full size
Version 6.0.0.126
New Version of Skype out as well. See above screen shots

Transmaster
Don't Blame Me I Voted For Bill and Opus
join:2001-06-20
Cheyenne, WY

1 recommendation

Transmaster to bugabuga

to bugabuga

Re: Months to have someone scratch their behind to fix it

Good title you need to add "and picking boogers". The super dooper app version of Skype M$ has for Windows 8 sucks so bad I deleted it and installed a version from earlier in the year problem solved. What is one suppose to expect from a company that repackages a netbook and calls it the "Microsoft Surface" M$ both Apple and the Android world are laughing at you.

This site is a God Send: »www.oldapps.com/

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium Member
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK

KrK

Premium Member

Sherlock Holmes.....

"What one man can do, another man can undo."
BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium Member
join:2000-01-13

BlitzenZeus to bugabuga

Premium Member

to bugabuga

Re: Months to have someone scratch their behind to fix it

As Microsoft would say "Working as intended", and swept it under the rug until it was exploited. This pretty much is par for Microsoft.
pandora
Premium Member
join:2001-06-01
Outland

pandora to plencnerb

Premium Member

to plencnerb

I looked at the images you posted. Maybe it's fixed, we can all hope. But look at the change in size. From a bit over 1 mb to almost 30 mb.

Skype grew almost 3,000% for a fix?

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium Member
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ

1 recommendation

dvd536 to Mospaw

Premium Member

to Mospaw

said by Mospaw:

said by pandora:

As long as they have humans programming the computers, or even robot programmers who were programmed by humans (and so on and so on), this won't happen.

Disclaimer: I am a human who programs computers.

surprising they don't write compilers that check for buffer overflow conditions before they'll compile an exe or dll

plencnerb
Premium Member
join:2000-09-25
53403-1242

plencnerb to pandora

Premium Member

to pandora

Click for full size
You bring up an interesting point.

I am one who will save older versions of applications, just in case I need to go back a version or two. It also helps when I rebuild my machine (or a friend/family's machine) so I don't have to go re-download all the applications.

So, I went and looked to see what I had for Skype. I have 6 versions, and they are all pictured above. It is interesting that the last one I downloaded grew from just around 1 MB to just under 30 MB.

By the way, the filenames that I have listed are modified when I downloaded them. I believe they were all called "SkypeSetup.exe" when I originally downloaded them. I then renamed them to be SkypeSetup_versionumber.exe so I could tell them apart.

However, the current exe name is called "SkypeSetupFull.exe" when you go to download it.

It appears that Skype may have changed their install method. Before it could have been a shell that you would launch, and it would pull the rest of the install down from the web at that time. It looks now that when you download skype, you get the full install package.

--Brian