dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2012-11-14 14:56:17: Sprint is poised to turn on service in nine new markets, while many people wait for the company to seriously deploy LTE in some larger cities. According to a Sprint press release, Sprint has started working on LTE upgrades in markets like Minneapo.. ..

page: 1 · 2 · next

jarablue
Always be true to yourself
join:2001-06-11
Worcester, MA

jarablue

Worcester MA?

Funny that Worcester, MA is supposed to have LTE yet where ever I go in Worcester I constantly stay on 3g.
xenophon
join:2007-09-17

xenophon

Softbank not likely to speed up LTE rollout

quote:
Fortunately for Sprint they've now got a rich sugar daddy in Japanese owner SoftBank, but the full benefits of that relationship obviously won't be available until the deal sees regulatory approval. Sprint continues to promise that major markets like New York and Washington DC are close, likely during the first quarter of next year.
The SB deal won't change the LTE rollout schedule but the $3B they already planted helps secure the existing plans. Sprint is blaming equipment lead time from manufacturers for the schedule.

The LTE coverage in KC really sucked at first but they have been improving it every week. I get solid LTE between home and work now, essentially the same as a voice signal, which was not the case with WiMAX.

Dest
Bolo
Premium Member
join:2000-03-21
Naperville, IL

2 edits

Dest to jarablue

Premium Member

to jarablue

Re: Worcester MA?

Crowd sourcing for the win....

seem the coverage is mostly east of Worcester
»imgur.com/dKYGh

and here's a shot of Dallas...
»imgur.com/3GGGn,fh64P

--- edit ---
oops fixed worcester's link
Jim_in_VA (banned)
join:2004-07-11
Cobbs Creek, VA

Jim_in_VA (banned) to xenophon

to xenophon

Re: Softbank not likely to speed up LTE rollout

what speeds are you seeing?
xenophon

xenophon

said by Jim_in_VA:

what speeds are you seeing?

Up to 28mbps but typically 6-12... unlimited. The improved ping time is a bigger factor with most smartphone apps. Apps don't really need more than a few Mbps, it's the ping time that matters.

»dl.dropbox.com/u/3812896 ··· tlte.png
Jim_in_VA (banned)
Cobbs Creek, VA

Jim_in_VA (banned)

looks great

neonhomer
Dearborn 5-2750
Premium Member
join:2004-01-27
Edgewater, FL

neonhomer

Premium Member

Key West before Daytona Beach?

Okay.. Sprint is a major sponsor, or should I say THE major sponsor of NASCAR, and they have two huge ass races in Daytona Beach every year... Yet Key West gets LTE before Daytona? Nevermind all of the Sprint customers that live in the area, but all of the Sprint customers who come to the area to see the race(s).

I don't know why I am bitching... even if they turn on LTE in Daytona, the smaller surrounding cities probably won't get it for years to come.
ihatedslr
join:2000-12-11
US

ihatedslr

Key West is very small = easy-to-serve. Low hanging fruit.
xenophon

xenophon

LTE rollout is being tracked here...

»s4gru.com/index.php?/top ··· ng-list/
88615298 (banned)
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

88615298 (banned)

9 whole cities huh?

What a joke. Verizon does double to triple that every month.
Prespd
join:2004-03-10
Wyoming, MI

Prespd

SF Bay area coverage

As far as I can tell, coverage in SF Bay area extends from around Cupertino along 280 to 85, 101,237. Coverage is strong from Cupertino to Menlo Park on the peninsula and across the Dumbarton bridge. LTE signal penetrates the Newark/Fremont zone already, but many dead spots with no LTE and very slow 3G.

I live in Newark, about 5 minutes from the bridge area, and can't get LTE at my house inside or out, but do around the corner.

dnoyeB
Ferrous Phallus
join:2000-10-09
Southfield, MI

dnoyeB

I've learned this trick too

This is what you have to do to keep management quiet. "Deploy" everything. "Oh yea, that module is done. Might have some bugs in it, but its done." plays much better than "were still working the bugs out of that one."

If you try to release solid well tested code with minimum bugs, in the mean time, management will feel as if you aren't accomplishing anything.

Release early and often with as little change as you can between versions. They only see what you put out. They don't see all the work that went into it.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170

skeechan

Premium Member

Weird rollouts

Deploying in Waco, TX before Los Angeles or Orange County seems odd to me. Seems if you are a telcom you would want to redline like an M-Fer to get the ROI as quickly as possible. We do have Sprint WiMax which works great with my Clearwire puck.

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium Member
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ

AVD

Premium Member

Bronx, NYC

FWIW my brother has been very sporadically connecting to LTE sites near the Botanical Garden on his Sprint issued iPhone5. He thinks he;s getting AT&T cells open for Sandy, but I'm not to sure.
Jim_in_VA (banned)
Cobbs Creek, VA

Jim_in_VA (banned) to 88615298

to 88615298

Re: 9 whole cities huh?

deeper pockets

Grothendieck
Premium Member
join:2002-07-28
Miami, FL

Grothendieck to Jim_in_VA

Premium Member

to Jim_in_VA

Re: Softbank not likely to speed up LTE rollout

Theres no LTE in my house or university but I have driven to towers I know have LTE (as reported at »s4gru.com/) and look at the speeds I have gotten.

I know they wont stay like this once more people jump on it, but it sure is sweet.
Jim_in_VA (banned)
Cobbs Creek, VA

Jim_in_VA (banned)

yup, impressive
88615298 (banned)
West Tenness

88615298 (banned) to skeechan

to skeechan

Re: Weird rollouts

Fewer people in Waco. Imagine millions of people in LA all trying to use Sprint's unlimited data on LTE? Talk about having a network come to a screeching halt.
Jim_in_VA (banned)
Cobbs Creek, VA

Jim_in_VA (banned)

How many

Tower dogs/climbers are there to go around? With all the top tier Celco's expanding that is a finite resource.
georgeglass5
join:2010-06-07
New York, NY

georgeglass5

Had more than enough waiting for sprint.

Pffft 9 more coming soon... Laughable... Yeah, you go & wait...
iansltx
join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX

iansltx to neonhomer

to neonhomer

Re: Key West before Daytona Beach?

Actually, the way Sprint is rolling out LTE, small cities in the same general area as big ones will get LTE upgrades not terribly long after the city centers. In some cases before.

For example, Kerrville and Fredericksburg, TX both have LTE live (albeit only on one tower). They're part of the San Antonio market.
iansltx

iansltx to 88615298

to 88615298

There's a better explanation:

LA has over 1100 towers.
Waco? A couple dozen.

Guess which is easier to deploy?
iansltx

iansltx to skeechan

to skeechan
There's another way to redline: go where others haven't yet. US Cellular is doing this with their LTE.

In the case of Sprint, Waco in particular was Ericsson's demo market for LTE. Each vendor (Alcatel-Lucent, Samsung, Ericsson) had one, though I forget where AlcaLu's was (Samsung's was Kanakee, near Chicago).

Also, it's easier to complete a market that has ten towers (many small cities that Sprint serves, population 50k or less) than it is to complete a market with 1000 towers (NYC, Chicago, LA, etc.). Particularly when your LTE network doesn't cover more area per tower (at the expense of overcrowding later) like Verizon's does.
iansltx

iansltx to AVD

to AVD

Re: Bronx, NYC

Nope. He's getting Sprint LTE. There are a bunch of upgraded (Network Vision) sites in NYC, but only a small fraction have LTE turned on quite yet.
iansltx

iansltx to georgeglass5

to georgeglass5

Re: Had more than enough waiting for sprint.

Funny, your market is actually moving along at a fair clip on upgrades. Backhaul is preventing LTE from coming online at my sites quite yet, but the hard work of swapping out antennas/etc. is done.
en103
join:2011-05-02

en103 to iansltx

to iansltx

AT&T did that in Alaska.
Der_Idiot
join:2008-02-10
Norwood Young America, MN

Der_Idiot

LTE rollout

My friend just finished a confirmed Sprint wiring job in Hugo, MN. Sounds like it has LTE lit up, I just don't want to drive a 2 hour round trip to find out (well, not during a week night at least).
Jim_in_VA (banned)
Cobbs Creek, VA

Jim_in_VA (banned) to 88615298

to 88615298

you have some kind of gripe with Sprint ..BF?
88615298 (banned)
West Tenness

88615298 (banned)

said by Jim_in_VA:

you have some kind of gripe with Sprint ..BF?

Yeah they need to quit telling everyone how fucking awesome they are when they don't even serve most of the country.
Jim_in_VA (banned)
Cobbs Creek, VA

Jim_in_VA (banned)

only in your little corner of TN ...checked the coverage map lately?
page: 1 · 2 · next