dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2012-11-15 12:20:35: AT&T's recently announced DSL expansion may not be all it was cracked up to be after closer examination. AT&T announced in a press release on November 7 that they'd be expanding their U-Verse coverage total from 24. ..

page: 1 · 2 · next

DataRiker
Premium Member
join:2002-05-19

3 edits

1 recommendation

DataRiker

Premium Member

Festering Toilet.

Did anybody expect anything honest from this crap filled commode?

Uverse is essentially a scam from the ground up. From its promise of advanced fiber optic television and internet , which delivers absolutely horrendous video quality, to its billing practices, and its treatment of workers.

Att hopes your either

A: stupid enough to believe the hype
B: unfortunate to have no choice

What trash.

lordfly
join:2000-10-12
Homestead, FL

lordfly

AT&T doesn't care

My neighborhood is not in the upgrade period. Our DSL is substandard and if they even wanted to give anyone service in my area of a few houses, they would have to bond the entire pole.

I am waiting for them to just take the lines off the poles and recycle them. They would be more profitable.
elefante72
join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY

elefante72

I said this weeks ago

Think about it:

Suburbs - New builds. Organic growth. Put the refrigerators in and UTP. Maybe fibre. Check.
Exurbs - Maybe fill out some areas where existing franchises are with new refrigerators. Take a look at data on population trends and build some new refrigerators.
Rural - Are you kidding me. Uverse technology wasn't built for that, and you have aged copper plants. Hybrid is only reasonable over coax. Now wouldn't that be funny if they went to coax

Just with new starts and filling out exurbs they should be good for a few million homes.

There are only two long term options in rural areas: Fiber or wireless, or a combo. Can you say whitespace.
MyDogHsFleas
Premium Member
join:2007-08-15
Austin, TX

MyDogHsFleas to DataRiker

Premium Member

to DataRiker

Re: Festering Toilet.

Have you looked at U-verse TV lately? I think it's gotten better since I dumped it some 18 months ago (maybe 2 years). I saw it at someone's house the other day, it didn't look half bad even with fast action sports in HD.
gaforces (banned)
United We Stand, Divided We Fall
join:2002-04-07
Santa Cruz, CA

gaforces (banned)

Status quo

They sent a Motorola NV510 which doesnt have a bridge mode and seems to be unstable.

Seems intentional they disable basic features that every other modem Ive ever seen has.

The service is still distance limited so no faster speeds here, unless we choose another internet service, like Comcast or Cruzio.
Still a dam dinosaur. UUoogha buooogha.
Os
join:2011-01-26
US

Os

In other news.....

....AT&T is being AT&T.

Gilitar
join:2012-02-01
Mobile, AL

Gilitar

FTTC

What about those that have FTTC in the old BellSouth territory. It wouldn't take much to upgrade us. Would they really cut us too?

mikedz4
join:2003-04-14
Weirton, WV

mikedz4

what about eastern ohio

Does this leave the people in eastern ohio without u-verse.
Skipig
join:2011-11-22
Parker, CO

Skipig

Just seize them

Why doesn't the administration just seize them (and all the other network providers as well)? Give Internet connectivity and television away free. What use do they serve? The governement can run the network, control the content (especially Fox), employ a whole bunch more people (because we wouldn't have to worry about efficiency), eliminate the profit motive and take Wall Street out of the equation.

hyphenated
@bellsouth.net

hyphenated

Anon

What?!

.....Who forgot got the popcorn!?!

Gilitar
join:2012-02-01
Mobile, AL

Gilitar to Skipig

to Skipig

Re: Just seize them

said by Skipig:

Why doesn't the administration just seize them (and all the other network providers as well)? Give Internet connectivity and television away free. What use do they serve? The governement can run the network, control the content (especially Fox), employ a whole bunch more people (because we wouldn't have to worry about efficiency), eliminate the profit motive and take Wall Street out of the equation.

Sounds like a great plan to me. Let's start a petition on the white house website. We could call it Obama Connect. LOL

I'm kidding of course!

hyphenated
@mycingular.net

hyphenated

Anon

Sad

Yeh it's kind a sad but still not as good as prime time.

battleop
join:2005-09-28

battleop to Skipig

to Skipig

Oh and you can name the new network stalin.net?
battleop

battleop

Intended side effect of this...

I am sure an intended side effect to this is that AT&T (Verizon is following to) is using this move to eliminate any of the remaining ISPs that buy DSL aggregation from AT&T.

A now retired AT&T executive told me about a 1-2 years ago that AT&T believes that if they were to find a way to end the existing contracts that 99% of those users would just switch to AT&T even if they had access to other services like Cable and Muni Fiber.

JigglyWiggly
join:2009-07-12
Pleasanton, CA

JigglyWiggly

u verse is a downgrade since your ping rises substantially compared to adsl2+
EngineerDave
join:2001-08-27
Birmingham, AL

EngineerDave to lordfly

to lordfly

Re: AT&T doesn't care

What do you mean by "bond the entire pole?"

delusion ftl
@comcast.net

delusion ftl to Skipig

Anon

to Skipig

This MUST be a joke. I cannot fathom this comment being anything more than a piece of sarcasm.

If it is not then the intelligence of the electorate is doomed.
delltechkid
join:2004-11-09
Hermitage, TN

delltechkid to MyDogHsFleas

to MyDogHsFleas

I have it. It's still the same crappy HD. But it's cheap when you're in the promo period!
delltechkid

delltechkid to Skipig

to Skipig

You only think this is funny because where you live you have more than one option for internet. In rural areas, what AT&T is planning to do is terrible. Let's hope a private provider can step in without AT&T suing or helping to regulate them out of business.

AT&T hates regulations, unless it's state laws that prevent competition.
rradina
join:2000-08-08
Chesterfield, MO

rradina to EngineerDave

to EngineerDave

Guessing here but I interpret it as meaning they would have to bond every pair on the pole to get enough throughput to support U-Verse. It's an exaggeration to support his opinion on the plant quality in his area but unless I'm way off, I think it makes sense.

Darknessfall
Premium Member
join:2012-08-17

Darknessfall to JigglyWiggly

Premium Member

to JigglyWiggly

Re: Intended side effect of this...

My pings on U-verse VDSL were:

NY:26
Chicago:43
West Coast:95

Slightly lower than my Comcast .
canestim
join:2012-01-20

1 edit

canestim

Finacials vs. some guy talking

What I don't understand is where did the 30 million homes come from? I see the 24.5 to 33 in the press release. I tried looking back.

Was it this guy/transcript for the earnings call?

»AT&T: The U-Verse Build is Over [180] comments

Where was it in the financial reports? I was just confused because the press release said TV, Internet, and Phone but I know sometimes the numbers get confused because AT&T also calls certain Phone/Internet DSL tech as U-verse too.

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
join:2001-03-25
US

antdude to delltechkid

Premium Member

to delltechkid

said by delltechkid:

You only think this is funny because where you live you have more than one option for internet. In rural areas, what AT&T is planning to do is terrible...

In my small cities, cable is the only best broadband service available. I can't get DSL and FIOS. Slow and limited satellite and dial-up exist, but why?
WhatNow
Premium Member
join:2009-05-06
Charlotte, NC

WhatNow

Premium Member

Smoke and Mirrors

From what I hear from friends they could hit the 3 million extra customers by just finishing the work on half completed vrads when the Uverse build was halted a year ago. From what they say there is very little real support for Uverse and even less for DSL. They will not even move a 3meg account from DSL to Uverse if they are too far away to get the TV service. The SBC management sounds like they are a joke when it comes to executing any of their plans over the long term.
etaadmin
join:2002-01-17
united state

etaadmin to MyDogHsFleas

to MyDogHsFleas

Yes, last week. TV picture quality is as bad as the day it was introduced to the public six years ago. Internet connection is still unstable (at that particular home) Internet speeds at least half (TWC 50Mbps) of what cable offers and worst case scenario a quarter and as much as 1/12 (300Mbps) of what Comcast offers.
etaadmin

etaadmin to EngineerDave

to EngineerDave

said by EngineerDave:

What do you mean by "bond the entire pole?"

Figuratively speaking and a sarcasm pointing out the technology limitations.

anydaynow
@comcast.net

anydaynow to canestim

Anon

to canestim

Re: Finacials vs. some guy talking

Mr B. is full of _ _. In the 1st quarter release ATT reported 16.8% take rate for U-verse and 4 million customers that would be 23,810,000 homes passed. In the third quarter it was 17.8% and 4.3 million customers about 24,155,000 HP. Att said the build out would END AT 30 MILLION now that # will be 33million. Soooooo
around 8.5 million more. BIG DEAL.
Skipig
join:2011-11-22
Parker, CO

Skipig

Seize them

Yes, my comment was facetious.
BiggA
Premium Member
join:2005-11-23
Central CT
·Frontier FiberOp..
Asus RT-AC68

BiggA

Premium Member

It's pair bonding

I doubt they would totally lie if they could be held legally responsible, so my guess is they played some games with areas that didn't have the software switch for pair bonding thrown yet. They also still have a lot of crossboxes that they upgraded for U-Verse that don't have U-Verse equipment on yet.

I seriously doubt that they would actually cut DSL users off. Maybe not upgrade them, but if you're not going to put the money in, why stop collecting the subscription fees? No capital investment + constant revenue = lots of profit.

However, AT&T really needs to get with the program. If they keep doing this, they won't have a landline business left to speak of. It's already a mess. Unfortunately, the shareholders can't seem to look past the current quarter. If they could look long-term, they would be demanding that AT&T install GPON FTTH over their entire footprint.

Also, they are not at a total standstill. They doubled their available speed available at my house from 1.5mbps to 3mbps... LOL. Must have installed an IP-DSLAM. Definitely sticking with Comcast.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS to Gilitar

MVM

to Gilitar

Re: FTTC

said by Gilitar:

What about those that have FTTC in the old BellSouth territory. It wouldn't take much to upgrade us. Would they really cut us too?

Actually, yes. They would. Upgrading the curbside boxes isn't trivial. Nobody builds replacement cards, so they must either extend the fiber to the premises, and install ONTs, a la FiOS (but AT&T has not, historically, overbuilt existing plant with fiber anywhere), or pull the fiber back to the VRADs and upgrade the copper plant. Neither is cheap, and they'd rather not expend capital for either.
page: 1 · 2 · next