dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2012-11-15 18:25:22: Research in Motion will soon be offering Blackberry customers free user-to-user voice communication over Wi-Fi as part of the upcoming Blackberry 10 OS. ..

Hazy Arc
join:2006-04-10
Greenwood, SC

Hazy Arc

What Good Will It Do...

...if no one else has one?
BiggA
Premium Member
join:2005-11-23
Central CT

BiggA

Premium Member

Re: What Good Will It Do...

Exactly. It would be transformative on the iPhone (well, not really since everyone has too many minutes anyways). But at least on the iPhone you'd probably have other people to call.

dnoyeB
Ferrous Phallus
join:2000-10-09
Southfield, MI

dnoyeB to Hazy Arc

to Hazy Arc
Since these are still strong business devices, within a particular business it will do quite a bit of good.
BiggA
Premium Member
join:2005-11-23
Central CT

BiggA

Premium Member

Re: What Good Will It Do...

They've pretty much all already switched away from BB.

bobjohnson
Premium Member
join:2007-02-03
Spartanburg, SC

bobjohnson

Premium Member

I hope BlackBerry makes it.

In a consumer market where people really don't care about quality or reliability it will be hard for them to get back into but I do know quite a few corporate customers that are waiting for this. Maybe there will be enough to keep them going.

battleop
join:2005-09-28

battleop

And the band plays on...

Hopefully they will get the deck chairs arranged before she sinks.

myname
@att.net

myname

Anon

voice over wifi

Well, I'm DEFINITELY interested. I have many users travelling internationally, and roaming voice is by far the biggest charge on any phone bill. I'm not sure if it will only work between bb-s or you can call other cell-phones too, but even if it's only between bb-s, most of our travelling employees have bb-s, so imagine that one of them in Japan calls the other in Australia over Wifi, for free.

That's a big saving. I'm all in for this!!!

battleop
join:2005-09-28

1 recommendation

battleop

Re: voice over wifi

What you are talking about already exists using VoIP.

gruntlord
@teksavvy.com

gruntlord

Anon

said by battleop:

What you are talking about already exists using VoIP.

This is free though, VOIP still costs money(although not much).

pnjunction
Teksavvy Extreme
Premium Member
join:2008-01-24
Toronto, ON

pnjunction

Premium Member

Skype to Skype is free. I'm not sure how this is much different, being software that both caller and recipient need to be running?

gruntlord
@teksavvy.com

gruntlord

Anon

Skype can only call other skype users unless you pay.

pnjunction
Teksavvy Extreme
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

pnjunction

Premium Member

Sounds like this can only call other BBM users period. And you (both?) have to be on wifi.

noname1
@att.net

noname1 to pnjunction

Anon

to pnjunction

Re: voice over wifi - skype

I couldn't care less about skype. I'm not interested in skype hogging my device with malware, and not interested in Microsoft and the govement recording my calls...
The last shred of security that still exists out there lays in the Blackbarries.

pnjunction
Teksavvy Extreme
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

1 edit

pnjunction

Premium Member

Re: voice over wifi - skype

Yeah my BBM communication would be super secure since there wouldn't be any...nobody I communicate with has one

And Skype was just an example, there are lots of voip and sip services out there

The government spying situation sucks but I'm not vain enough to think the government cares at all what I am talking about on my phone
markf
Scarborough, ON

markf

Naysayers

To all the naysayers, how many of you have actually seen BB10 in action?

I think once you do it will make iOS look like the ancient relic from the mid 2000's that it is. It looks fantastic and I am looking forward to the opportunity to actually use it.

motoracer
join:2003-09-15
united state

motoracer

Hope

I hope BB comes back strong to keep Android and iOS (and Windows?) on their feet. Competition is a good thing.
lemonade1
join:2003-12-13
Los Angeles, CA

lemonade1

Re: Hope

agree

Maxo
Your tax dollars at work.
Premium Member
join:2002-11-04
Tallahassee, FL

Maxo

Premium Member

Android

I can make free video and voice calls on any of my Android devices to anyone else who has a Google account over Talk. It works both on wifi and when on my carriers data networks, and because Android ships on so many devices, I don't have to rely on them buying the same phone as me. So what RIM is offering is not very enticing.

Alturnative
@charter.com

Alturnative

Anon

Don't bag on B berry

You got to hand it to a company that makes the most "banned" cell phone world wide - If you pull apart any b berry, they are the best made and security so awesome, that you can't use them in Dubai because they can't monitor your text because of rim's OS

Thre Prez and CIA all us B berry

ARGONAUT
Have a nice day.
Premium Member
join:2006-01-24
New Albany, IN

ARGONAUT

Premium Member

BB's time has past.

Blackberry, the other Betamax.

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice