spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2012-11-16 10:34:46: With the entertainment industry's "six strikes" anti-piracy plan very close to launch, some ISPs are finally willing to talk a little about the new steps they'll be taking to thwart pirates on their networks starting later this month. ..

page: 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · next

brianiscool

join:2000-08-16
Tampa, FL
kudos:1

Thottle me !

I want them to throttle me because I do nothing wrong.

aciddrink

join:2000-08-26

I want them to not only monitor my website visits, but block access to websites for me.

Then I want to move to China.

Smith6612
Premium,MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
kudos:24
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
·Frontier Communi..

Watch as network performance decreases for all...

Whenever anyone, ISP or otherwise deploys equipment to throttle or block access, network performance will decrease. I've noticed in the past few months Verizon's network hasn't had quite the snap that it normally has when loading up content. Yet, my latency is fine and my speed is there, and performance for real time applications hasn't quite changed. It's pretty typical with the signs I see on networks with filtering appliances or other such "monitoring" solutions.

So to say the least, I'll believe it if I see people complaining about being throttled or seeing additional latency even if there actually was not any problematic traffic and congestion isn't a factor. Let the complaints roll in!

r81984
Fair and Balanced
Premium
join:2001-11-14
Katy, TX
Reviews:
·row44

1 recommendation

Unfair Discrimination

This is discrimination against those with eye patches and peg legs.
Good thing I dont live in verizon territory or Time Warner.

An ISP is not a judge or jury, they have no business wasting customer monthly payments to screw over customers.

All they are doing is forcing someone to buy a 3rd party proxy or vpn at like $5 to $10 a month when your ISP should be the one providing the anonymous connection.
--
...brought to you by Carl's Jr.

WernerSchutz

join:2009-08-04
Sugar Land, TX
reply to Smith6612

Re: Watch as network performance decreases for all...

said by Smith6612:

Let the complaints roll in!

Because corporations really care about complaints. Maybe they will take the Tmo "stabbing" routine.

TexasRebel

join:2011-05-29
Edgewood, TX
reply to aciddrink

Re: Thottle me !

kinda a stupid move by Verizon. what the hell else are you going to use the 50-100Mbps connections with?? The sole purpose for huge bandwidth packages is to stream video, and bit torrent like there's no tomorrow.

winsyrstrife
River City Bounce
Premium
join:2002-04-30
Brooklyn, NY

1 recommendation

reply to r81984

Re: Unfair Discrimination

Anonymity is on it's way out. Proxy and VPN services will be criminalized in time. For right now, there simply isn't enough data and proof that the services are, on a wide scale, being used for "nefarious" purposes. That and there would also be a serious backlash if the RIAA/MPAA tried to target VPN right off the bat. If however, they come back in a few years, after everyone is accustomed to the Six Strikes policy, it will be less of an outright offensive legal maneuver.

Boil Kermit slowly.
--
"Suddenly everything is fainting, falling from a broken ladder's rung. There's a jolt exhilarating from the phone I'm holding...
I hear the words of what I'll become, how eager the hands that reach for love."
- Blind Melon - New Life

Chubbysumo

join:2009-12-01
Superior, WI
Reviews:
·Charter

someone will sue their ISP when...

Someone will sue their ISP when the internet is filtered. It will become a violation of first amendment law(as censorship already is) to censor the web in the manner they are speaking of. I hope im the first, and I get to sue the shit out of my ISP and become a millionair from their stupidity. Oh wait, im on charter, who does not give a flying fuck anyways.

Either way, someone will sue their ISP once they are throttled or their internet is censored, and will probably win, and since we can no longer sue as a class, it will result in the EFF telling people to file hundreds of small claims court cases, resulting in exponential court costs for the ISP. One round of thousands of filings of small claims court cases would probably encourage an ISP to get rid of the class action crap in their ToS.

brianiscool

join:2000-08-16
Tampa, FL
reply to TexasRebel

I will use my connection to host thousands of left 4 dead servers.

Will Hill

join:2009-06-07

Open an ISP Account with a Fictitious Name

This whole throttling and cancelling service idea is easily overcome. ISP's do not verify identity of new account holders. They don't insist on a drivers license or ID card when someone calls them to open a new account. Therefore, if someone's ISP account is throttled or cancelled they can simply open a new account with the same (or another) ISP under a new (fictitious) name.

dnoyeB
Ferrous Phallus

join:2000-10-09
Southfield, MI
Reviews:
·Comcast

2 recommendations

reply to winsyrstrife

VPN is used for purposes other than pirating. I doubt they want to stir that pot. If they did, it would be clear that they don't really know what they want or who they are after. Additionally, they would create enemies they do not need.
--
dnoyeB
"Then said I, Wisdom [is] better than strength: nevertheless the poor man's wisdom [is] despised, and his words are not heard. " Ecclesiastes 9:16

dnoyeB
Ferrous Phallus

join:2000-10-09
Southfield, MI
reply to Chubbysumo

Re: someone will sue their ISP when...

Censorship is only a violation when the government does it. You are actually referring to 'Net Neutrality' that will be violated.

Premium
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness
reply to brianiscool

said by brianiscool:

I want them to throttle me because I do nothing wrong.

If you do nothing wrong you won't be throttled.

Premium
West Tenness
reply to Smith6612

Re: Watch as network performance decreases for all...

said by Smith6612:

Let the complaints roll in!

By who?

jester121
Premium
join:2003-08-09
Lake Zurich, IL

Telling...

said by Karl :

As for concerns that the six strikes plan is really about collecting user data for more lawsuits, the MPAA insisted they won't be suing users, though many copyright holders want the option to remain on the table.

How did we go from "pirates" to "users" in the span of a few paragraphs? "Users" is such a nice, innocuous term; how about "alleged infringers"?

Premium
West Tenness
reply to Will Hill

Re: Open an ISP Account with a Fictitious Name

said by Will Hill:

This whole throttling and cancelling service idea is easily overcome. ISP's do not verify identity of new account holders. They don't insist on a drivers license or ID card when someone calls them to open a new account. Therefore, if someone's ISP account is throttled or cancelled they can simply open a new account with the same (or another) ISP under a new (fictitious) name.

Sorry but many ISPs know my ISP( Charter ) won't allow you to open a new account at the same address that quickly.

Premium
West Tenness
reply to Chubbysumo

Someone needs to read the article again.

Boricua
Premium
join:2002-01-26
Sacramuerto
reply to Will Hill

Re: Open an ISP Account with a Fictitious Name

It might not work because you are still in the same address. Now, if the person moves AND create another account, then it might work.
--
Illegal aliens have always been a problem in the United States. Ask any Indian. Robert Orben

Premium
West Tenness

Big deal

Ok so if decide to start pirating the worse Verizon will do to me is throttle my connection for 3 days and only AFTER I get caught 5 times. And people are getting their panties in an uproar why?

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:11
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to r81984

said by r81984:

... your ISP should be the one providing the anonymous connection.

But the big providers aren't just ISPs! They also deliver pay-TV content. They have to protect the pay-TV revenue stream, even at the expense of Internet service. I am glad that I have access to an Internet-only provider.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
reply to Chubbysumo

Actually the hits will come when the false positives roll in.

I bet half this shit just like the systems that send out the DMCA letters are all automatic and with zero oversight.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

Simba7
I Void Warranties

join:2003-03-24
Billings, MT
reply to 88615298

said by 88615298:

Oh, you know something will go wrong.

Premium
West Tenness

said by Simba7:

said by 88615298:

Oh, you know something will go wrong.

No I don't know that. I HIGHLY doubt someone will be falsely accused 5 times in a row.

Premium
West Tenness
reply to brianiscool

said by brianiscool:

I will use my connection to host thousands of left 4 dead servers.

and your ISP will cut you off.

pnh102
Reptiles Are Cuddly And Pretty
Premium
join:2002-05-02
Mount Airy, MD

1 recommendation

reply to 88615298

said by 88615298:

No I don't know that. I HIGHLY doubt someone will be falsely accused 5 times in a row.

LOL. Your faith in the system is laughably misplaced.
--
USA 2012 - the mooches won.

Premium
West Tenness
reply to winsyrstrife

said by winsyrstrife:

Boil Kermit slowly.

That's a myth you know.

Premium
West Tenness
reply to Kearnstd

said by Kearnstd:

Actually the hits will come when the false positives roll in.

I bet half this shit just like the systems that send out the DMCA letters are all automatic and with zero oversight.

Yes someone will be hit with 5 false positives in a row. Hey let's not have rape laws because someone might be falsely accused of rape.

Premium
West Tenness
reply to pnh102

said by pnh102:

said by 88615298:

LOL. Your faith in the system is laughably misplaced.

Yeah call me out when the first verifiable case of someone getting false accused 5 times happens. Otherwise I call bullshit.

Simba7
I Void Warranties

join:2003-03-24
Billings, MT
reply to 88615298

said by 88615298:

Hey, ya never know until it actually happens. Just like people being charged ~12qn euros.

Premium
West Tenness
reply to aciddrink

said by aciddrink:

I want them to not only monitor my website visits, but block access to websites for me.

Nowhere does it say you will be premantly blocked from websites.