spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2012-11-16 16:01:55: [user=ke4pym] directs our attention to a report in the Charlotte Observer that notes that Charlotte users pay the highest prices for broadband anywhere in the United States. "TWC is dominant here and AT&T's footprint is crappy," laments the user. ..

davoice

join:2000-08-12
Saxapahaw, NC

1 edit

Nice but Shelby is not Charlotte

What people fail to realize is that RST is in Cleveland County, not in Mecklenburg County. That's far, far west (2 counties over) and not what people around here consider inside the Charlotte metro area. It's a good 30-45 minute drive from the west edge of Charlotte out to where they are.

Any hope of RST coming to east the actual borders of Charlotte is minimal. They're heading further west towards the new datacenters. They're smart enough not to compete head-on with TWC and AT&T in the center of the population where marketing is heavy and the legacy networks are better maintained.

}Davoice

w4ncr

join:2000-10-27
WHAT TWC CHARGES THEY QUOTED ME 120.00 A MONTH NOT COUNTING TV SERVICE 50 DOWN 5UP

Premium
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

Enjoys?

I'm pretty sure they are NOT enjoying the high prices.

tmc8080

join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY
Reviews:
·ooma
·Optimum Online
·Verizon FiOS

slow to change

North Carolina in particular recently enacted some of the toughest telecom anti-competitive laws in the nation.. so even with a competitor trying to make inroads in the Carolinas.. you can imagine all the regulatory hurdles and everything else thrown at them to stop, and impede progress towards real competition.

deathnight

join:2011-04-14
Winston Salem, NC
reply to w4ncr

Re: Nice but Shelby is not Charlotte

I am in WS and I pay ~77 bucks/month including modem rental for the 30/5 tier. I got a notice yesterday that the modem rental will be going up $3.95 more. Had no choice, owner owned modem was not supported then, but it is now. Currently using the Moto SBG6580, plan on getting the SB6141.

hope4change

@unc.edu
reply to tmc8080

Re: slow to change

Democrat Governor Bev Perdue let that bill sit on her desk and become law instead of vetoing it. Former Republican Charlotte mayor Pat McCrory just won the election and there is a Republican majority in the legislature. Don't expect much change but there is always hope right?

ShimmyShaw

@sbcglobal.net

Whats the point?

Whats the point of a high speed connection if they are going to throttle users and add caps?

aciddrink

join:2000-08-26

2 recommendations

reply to 88615298

Re: Enjoys?

I am completely convinced that you just like to stir up shit, no matter what somebody says. Clearly "enjoys" is used in a sarcastic way in the title.

Do you understand sarcasm? That is not a flame, but an actual question. You often post contradictory replies to people that were clearly posting sarcastically.

n2jtx

join:2001-01-13
Glen Head, NY
reply to ShimmyShaw

Re: Whats the point?

said by ShimmyShaw :

Whats the point of a high speed connection if they are going to throttle users and add caps?

To collect your money and give you nothing of value in return. Isn't that the way most companies would like it? Charge you a fortune and give you nothing for it. I would love to start a company that charged $99/month and gave you nothing for it. I wonder how many suckers would sign up for such a service.
--
I support the right to keep and arm bears.

jap
Premium
join:2003-08-10
038xx
reply to tmc8080

Re: slow to change

said by tmc8080:

North Carolina in particular recently enacted some of the toughest telecom anti-competitive laws in the nation

Leaving NC was made easier for me by the blankets of pro-business legislation and government whoring to desires of the chamber of commerce and incumbents-of-any-brand. Really annoyed me. I like alot of things about the state but that wasn't one of them. Often surprised me the distance legislators and courts would walk to kiss business ass even when proposals were clearly detrimental to quality of life and good alternatives were on the table. Extreme short sighted profit taking mentality seems to pervade the culture.

silbaco
Premium
join:2009-08-03
USA

1 edit

Highest prices nationally... for a big city?

Highest prices for what exactly? Large city? It can't be in general. I can name a lot of small markets where it is more expensive. Try $95 for 10mbps for example. Or $55 for 1.5mbps. And that is delivered by fiber-to-the-home paid for with tax dollars. Small cities served by your local telecoms. They will rip you off worse than the big boys.

Jim_in_VA

join:2004-07-11
Cobbs Creek, VA
kudos:4
reply to aciddrink

+1

silbaco
Premium
join:2009-08-03
USA
reply to n2jtx

Offer a chance to win a "free" iPad and you would have lines out the door.

jrs8084
Premium
join:2002-03-02
Statesville, NC
kudos:1
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse

UVerse

Up here in Statesville they keep pushing uVerse to everybody I know. I am lucky 100 yards from the DSLAM (and I guess now VRAD)-might have to look into that to compare to my current DSL. I never warmed up to TWC.

And how many Commscope plants are there around here?

Jim_in_VA

join:2004-07-11
Cobbs Creek, VA
Reviews:
·Metrocast Commun..
Click for full size
my cable company plans:

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
kudos:1
reply to silbaco

And the person is only locked into an easy 3yr contract while the monthly rate is locked for only six months to a year!
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

elray

join:2000-12-16
Santa Monica, CA
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·EarthLink

1 recommendation

reply to 88615298

said by 88615298:

I'm pretty sure they are NOT enjoying the high prices.

$51.18 is not a high price.

RightBehindU

@acsalaska.net

Population Comparison

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlotte
Population (2011 Estimate)[1]
• Total 751,087 (17th)
• Density 2,457.0/sq mi (948.67/km2)

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anchorage
Population (2010)[1]
• Total 291,826 (64th in U.S.)
• Density 171.9/sq mi (66.4/km2)

Hazy Arc

join:2006-04-10
Greenwood, SC
reply to aciddrink

Just ignore BF69 - he's made a living as the resident DSLR troll.

antdude
A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
join:2001-03-25
United State

$52?

I pay $54 for TWC's 10/1 Internet service!

w4ncr

join:2000-10-27
reply to ShimmyShaw

YEP !!

Noelle704

join:2010-12-12

1 recommendation

reply to antdude

Re: $52?

30/5 on TWC for about $65 a month, I don't think that's bad or great.

antdude
A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
join:2001-03-25
United State
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
said by Noelle704:

30/5 on TWC for about $65 a month, I don't think that's bad or great.

That's not bad. Where is that? Mine is in L.A.

Noelle704

join:2010-12-12

1 recommendation

Charlotte lol...I think 50/5 here is either $89 or $99 though.

skuv

@rr.com
reply to ShimmyShaw

What throttling and what caps?

This is TWC they're talking about. They don't have forced throttling or caps.

Way to spread misinformation that even more people will spread. Good job.

ke4pym
Premium
join:2004-07-24
Charlotte, NC
reply to davoice

Re: Nice but Shelby is not Charlotte

Davoice-->If you check out RST's site, their goal is to wire the entire I85 corridor in NC and SC.

Though when, isn't made clear.