dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2012-11-21 08:47:59: T-Mobile has launched HSPA+ service in the company's 1900 MHz spectrum as T-Mobile continues to woo unlocked device owners -- especially the iPhone. ..

page: 1 · 2 · next
elefante72
join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY

1 recommendation

elefante72

Its not just iphone users

I'm sick of hearing about the iphone. There are over 100 million prepaid users that would be potential candidates to use their AT&T phones on the TMO prepaid network. Would that work with the iphone, yes. Is the iphone the only phone known to man: NO!

It's like there is some disinformation campaign going on out there.

By launching 1900, ALL AT&T phones will be able to be used as fauxG on the network. Many Andriod phones BTW support 1700 and 1900, so they are already compatible, and you NEVER hear about that.

More importantly, many global phones only support 1900 so this also opens up TMO to those parties as well.

This will have an inpact though. For legacy TMO devices (like my SO) that only operate on 1700, the reduced bandwidth when they light up LTE on this frequency will be a problem. New phone time.

I read that they expect the refarm to be completed by mid 2013, quite impressive what a cash infusion can do

EliteData
EliteData
Premium Member
join:2003-07-06
Philippines

EliteData

Premium Member

LTE

Lets get the LTE going so i can root my phone already !
(LTE disabled until software update)
ArizonaSteve
join:2004-01-31
Apache Junction, AZ

ArizonaSteve

Will 1700Mhz T-Mo 4G Phones work on 1900?

I wonder if that will make my Samsung 4G Exhibit II that was mostly worthless before because there aren't many 4G towers on 1700Mhz finally be useful on 1900? It gets 1900Mhz for Edge but will it be able to use HSPA+ on 1900 or does that require some kind of firmware update? Anyone know how to contact Neville Ray and ask him?

AnonFTW
@reliablehosting.com

AnonFTW

Anon

said by ArizonaSteve:

I wonder if that will make my Samsung 4G Exhibit II that was mostly worthless before because there aren't many 4G towers on 1700Mhz finally be useful on 1900? It gets 1900Mhz for Edge but will it be able to use HSPA+ on 1900 or does that require some kind of firmware update? Anyone know how to contact Neville Ray and ask him?

Most likely: »www.gsmarena.com/samsung ··· 4277.php

Your phone only supports 14.4Mbps HSDPA however, not HSPA+.
tcope
Premium Member
join:2003-05-07
Sandy, UT

tcope to EliteData

Premium Member

to EliteData

Re: LTE

Hope your not planning on using a current phone with TM's LTE network. To my knowledge there is no phone on the market that suuports the spectrum TM will be using (the S3 does not support it).

djdanska
Rudie32
Premium Member
join:2001-04-21
San Diego, CA

djdanska to AnonFTW

Premium Member

to AnonFTW

Re: Will 1700Mhz T-Mo 4G Phones work on 1900?

said by AnonFTW :

said by ArizonaSteve:

I've explained that to him countless times. Lmao

EliteData
EliteData
Premium Member
Philippines

EliteData to tcope

Premium Member

to tcope

said by tcope:

Hope your not planning on using a current phone with TM's LTE network. To my knowledge there is no phone on the market that suuports the spectrum TM will be using (the S3 does not support it).

the samsung galaxy note 2 (what i have which i upgraded from TMO) has the hardware for LTE but it is not enabled by TMO, they will push a software update some time in 2013 to enable the LTE radio when its available in enough markets, which is why i have not rooted the phone yet (update wont install on a rooted phone), i confirmed the hardware exists in the phone by test mode entry *#197328640#
tcope
Premium Member
join:2003-05-07
Sandy, UT

tcope

Premium Member

The hardware exists on the S3 (LTE) but the issue there is that it does not acess the spectrum TM will be using. However, as I read, the Note 2 should be able to access TM's LTE due to TM's statements that it will need an update to do this.
elefante72
join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY

elefante72 to ArizonaSteve

to ArizonaSteve

Number one it's not 4g--marketing aside, but they will have HSPA on 1700 and 1900, and this phone will work on both. The RUU (radio firmware) controls access to the towers and frequencies.

CCNnorthcali
join:2004-03-07
San Francisco, CA

1 edit

CCNnorthcali to tcope

to tcope

The iPhone 5 is also compatible with T-Mobile's LTE. Since AT&T plan to use the AWS LTE, their LTE phones will work with T-Mobile's LTE once it's launched next year.

»gigaom.com/apple/iphone- ··· verhaul/

EliteData
EliteData
Premium Member
Philippines

EliteData to tcope

Premium Member

to tcope
said by tcope:

The hardware exists on the S3 (LTE) but the issue there is that it does not acess the spectrum TM will be using. However, as I read, the Note 2 should be able to access TM's LTE due to TM's statements that it will need an update to do this.

exactly why i upgraded from the first generation Galaxy that ive had for a number of years to this.
one mistake i made though, when i got the first galaxy, i immediately rooted the phone without researching on the web for any android/TMO updates and was unable to "unroot" the phone to obtain those updates, so i dealt with a buggy phone for years.
(installing updates to a rooted phone bricked it in my case)

dnoyeB
Ferrous Phallus
join:2000-10-09
Southfield, MI

dnoyeB

Still Confused

So what are the standard Tmobile frequencies and what operates on those frequencies?

What are they changing and why?

I just can't seem to get the straight on how this will affect me with my Galaxy Nexus on T-Mobile and my wife with her iPhone 3Gs (or some such) on AT&T.
ConstantineM
join:2011-09-02
San Jose, CA

ConstantineM

Is there a map with 1900MHz UMTS coverage?

Is there a map with 1900MHz UMTS coverage?

Also, is there any way to see which frequency I'm connected to, on a Galaxy Nexus (Google Nexus 3)? It supports both AWS and PCS; but I don't think it can use both at the same time, can it? When you go into the network search menu (Mobile networks -> Network operators), it only lists the network names, not the frequency bands or any other network specs.

What does this re-farming mean for EDGE? Is it just getting much slower (how much slower?), or would it already be completely gone from some areas?
ConstantineM

ConstantineM to dnoyeB

to dnoyeB

Re: Still Confused

• GSM/EDGE: PCS band (1900 MHz, but getting downsized?)
• UMTS/HSPA+: was AWS-only (1700/2100 MHz), but now available on both AWS and PCS at the same time (in the converted areas)
• a future LTE network: AWS

If your area is affected, it means that your wife can get her iPhone 3GS (or some such) from AT&T onto T-Mobile USA, and still use 3G/4G (prior to this, she'd be limited to 2G or EDGE for an AT&T-exclusive UMTS smartphone).

I'm still confused myself about the actual details of refarming, though:

• For UMTS, is PCS coverage going to be better than AWS for the areas affected? Or is it simply large enough to get the iPhones off of EDGE, and onto UMTS, to improve speeds and frequency utilisation, still being slower than AWS?

• Is EDGE being slowed down dramatically, or is it simply being rid of its excess unused capacity on this refarming?

• Can a phone like Galaxy Nexus use both AWS and PCS at the same time for HSPA+, in order to achieve maximum speeds (I guess not, but who knows?), or is it limited to just one frequency at the same time? How would it know whether to choose AWS or PCS?

• Does each tower have both AWS and PCS for HSPA+, or do they alternate?
pkorx8
join:2003-06-19
San Francisco, CA

pkorx8

Quick question: iphone 4

So I think the ATT iphone 4 (not 4s) will work on Tmo 3G now?
As I understand, the iphone 4 is HSDPA and not HSPA+, so it will be limited to 14.4mbps.
Is HSDPA a subset of HSPA+, another words "will it work on Tmo?"
Can someone please confirm?

Thanks!

delusion ftl
@comcast.net

delusion ftl

Anon

All ATT iphones which have been carrier unlocked can use the tmobile network and always have been able to.

Previously they could only get a 2g (edge) signal from tmobile. But now in these "refarmed" areas they can get a 3g/4g signal from tmobile.

All of them, from the first to the iphone 5, so long as they are carrier unlocked, can use tmobile.
clone (banned)
join:2000-12-11
Portage, IN

clone (banned) to djdanska

to djdanska

said by djdanska:

said by AnonFTW :

said by ArizonaSteve:

I've explained that to him countless times. Lmao

This guy again? What exactly is it that he doesn't understand!?

Dude, your phone will work on the 1900MHz network the same way it does on the current 1700MHz network. Done in one sentence.
margaf
join:2000-12-22
Las Vegas, NV

margaf

Recently signed up with them

I have to say Im impressed with the speeds Im getting, anywhere from 8Mbps at the low end to as high as 17Mbps with the speedtest.net app. The website is not very good and ordering an extra line was a giant pain but otherwise a few weeks into my deal with them and IM pretty happy.

CCNnorthcali
join:2004-03-07
San Francisco, CA

CCNnorthcali to ConstantineM

to ConstantineM

Re: Is there a map with 1900MHz UMTS coverage?

There is no official map of 1900Mhz HSPA+ coverage. There is also no way to see what band you're using on the Galaxy Nexus. Probably not the answers you were hoping for - sorry!

EDGE is probably not getting any slower. While they are reducing the amount of capacity EDGE has, they are reducing the demand on the EDGE network by moving all capable devices to HSPA+. For example, iPhones currently are using EDGE, but many of them will start instead using HSPA, reducing the overall saturation of the EDGE network. It'll overall be a win in the end and will make room for LTE.
Expand your moderator at work
ArizonaSteve
Apache Junction, AZ

ArizonaSteve to clone

to clone

So, Clone, how is the phone going to know how to do that? It doesn't know to use 3G on 1700 so how's it going to be able to use 1900? Like I asked before, will this need a firmware update? Anyone?
34764170 (banned)
join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned) to elefante72

to elefante72
said by elefante72:

Number one it's not 4g--marketing aside

Of course, it is ridiculous marketing at best, but then again no one has 4G yet.
ArizonaSteve
Apache Junction, AZ

ArizonaSteve to AnonFTW

to AnonFTW
AnonFTW, it does work on HSPA+ for "4G" according to OpenSignalMaps. I've looked at those specs on GSMArena several times but they aren't all correct and there are so many different versions of each phone you can't really tell which one they are talking about for sure.
ArizonaSteve

ArizonaSteve to CCNnorthcali

to CCNnorthcali

Re: Is there a map with 1900MHz UMTS coverage?

Actually you can run apps like OpenSignalMaps and Network Signal Info to see what kind of towers you are connecting to and which protocol the phone is using like Edge for 2G, UMTS for 3G, HSDPA for 3.5G, etc. but I haven't found any apps that show the frequency used. The only way I've found to tell what frequency the phone is using is to check it with a spectrum analyzer.

djdanska
Rudie32
Premium Member
join:2001-04-21
San Diego, CA

djdanska to clone

Premium Member

to clone

That 14.4 Mb isn't the same thing as a 4g 42Mb DC-HSPA+ Network, as in the normal t-mobile 4g phones. that's all.

MRCURAnon
@comcast.net

MRCURAnon to ArizonaSteve

Anon

to ArizonaSteve
Your phone can work on 1900MHz for UMTS/HSPA (not 4G, only HSPA 14.4Mb, not HSPA+). No software update should be needed.

It's all in the FCC docs.
WhyMe420
Premium Member
join:2009-04-06

WhyMe420 to pkorx8

Premium Member

to pkorx8

Re: Quick question: iphone 4

iPhone 4 does 7.2Mbps.

iPhone 4S does 14.4Mbps.

iPhone 5 does 42Mbps + eventually LTE (if you get the unlocked AT&T variant.)
skech11536
join:2012-11-26
Mesa, AZ

skech11536

AT&T HTC ONE X

Getting pretty decent speeds here in Mesa. On the low end 5 mbps and topping out at around 11 mbps on an unlocked HTC One X. Once I step into my home by signal varies wildy from faux g and the dropping to edge. When I used AT&T Straight Talk I didn't have this issue.

thomasis
@cingular.com

thomasis to elefante72

Anon

to elefante72

Re: Its not just iphone users

THANK YOU!! Been saying that a long time. More than anything, it's upsetting their late to the party with this. I've been buying unlocked devices overseas the last few years and that is all you see when you ask about TMO USA..."that they will only work on 2G EDGE". So not only will the iPhone be supported and devices in the U.S., it's all the phones that are overseas that it gets opened up to. The BYOD (Bring Your Own Device) concept is not new. I started with the Sony Ericsson W595 and I used to get asked all the time "where did you get that phone"? So to be able to open the network to (just about) all of those phones overseas can be a cash cow for TMO. In total agreement with you on that!
mikejaret
join:2012-11-30

mikejaret to skech11536

to skech11536

Re: AT&T HTC ONE X

hey man, is yours working in mesa? they announced tucson the other day and I still cannot get 3g speeds....it only gives me E.....any thoughts? do i have to call tmobile or is it just supposed to work?
page: 1 · 2 · next