dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2012-11-21 12:30:35: DirecTV's offering a new satellite broadband bundle the company hopes appeals to rural users, though it suffers from the bane of all satellite broadband: annoying usage caps. ..

silbaco
Premium Member
join:2009-08-03
USA

1 recommendation

silbaco

Premium Member

Exede

Good speeds. Horrible caps.

No doubt caps are necessary on a service with limited bandwidth. But the caps should have been doubled for those prices.
TexasRebel
join:2011-05-29
Edgewood, TX

TexasRebel

Dish used?

so are they going to use a single dish with 1 LNB and a TRIA??

$120 a month for TV and Internet??

I'm looking for a link on their website and have yet to find one..
en103
join:2011-05-02

en103

Not much better

Than cellular data packages, and a whole lot less mobile.
funny0
join:2010-12-22

funny0

ohhhh canada

for 40$ i can do about 1600 GB
add 9$ and i get netflix

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad to TexasRebel

MVM

to TexasRebel

Re: Dish used?

There's no link on the DirecTV site on this yet, only on Excede's site: »www.exede.com/internet-p ··· le-offer

gjrhine
join:2001-12-12
Pawleys Island, SC

gjrhine

2nd Home

For my mountain vacation home average about 2 weeks a month use and if I limit video it does not sound too bad. Can it be turned off for the winter months?
sharkyyoung
Premium Member
join:2012-03-15
Reno, NV

sharkyyoung

Premium Member

Seems like its always for new customers.

gjrhine
Pawleys Island, SC

gjrhine

Well I would be a new customer.

Anyway I wonder what the rate jumps to after 12 months?
Skippy25
join:2000-09-13
Hazelwood, MO

Skippy25

To a leg.

gjrhine
Pawleys Island, SC

gjrhine

1 will do me!
TexasRebel
Edgewood, TX

TexasRebel to telcodad

to telcodad

Re: Dish used?

somehow I think these packages are wrong.. I'm highly doubting that they're going to package a DirecTV subscription with Exede12/25 for $120 plus taxes. I'm betting it's $120 plus the DirecTV package of choice. So you'll likely be spending $180 per month when it's all said and done.
silbaco
Premium Member
join:2009-08-03
USA

silbaco

Premium Member

Sounds right.

They sure suck all the money out of you that they can. It would top $200 with taxes and equipment rental.
TexasRebel
Edgewood, TX

2 edits

TexasRebel

I had Exede12/25 and it was running me $150 a month total. Paying that much with only 25GB of data which includes up and down is a total ripoff.

Even if all you do is watch Youtube videos, you're still sending data back to their servers while your streaming. So essentially you're getting double charged on each byte received and sent.

These new highspeed satellites that have gone live this year need to be marketed as cable and higher speed DSL. Give hefty data packages on them for people that want to watch movies and stream their favorite shows without having to waste money on 150 channels of crap from Dish or DirecTV.

start with 150GB and go up to 500GB for heavy users. Exede already has their LNFZ which theoretically if you used it to it's fullest extent, you could download nearly 1TB of data during the LNFZ timeslot during a month. So it's not about how much data you download after all.

when bandwidth becomes saturated on one satellite, then put another damn satellite up.

and I don't want to hear this drivel about satellites costing money. it costs far more to plant hundreds if not thousands of miles of fiber cable and terminate it at customers homes than building a satellite and launching it..
SauceMaster
join:2004-08-01
Kokomo, IN

SauceMaster to TexasRebel

to TexasRebel
said by TexasRebel:

somehow I think these packages are wrong.. I'm highly doubting that they're going to package a DirecTV subscription with Exede12/25 for $120 plus taxes. I'm betting it's $120 plus the DirecTV package of choice. So you'll likely be spending $180 per month when it's all said and done.

That is correct according to the page. The highest internet package is 120 + your direct tv package and that is only the first 12 months pricing. Stand alone Internet is 130 a month for the highest tier for the first 12 months.
biochemistry
Premium Member
join:2003-05-09

biochemistry

Premium Member

Bad Prices

These prices are set to discourage heavy users. How else to explain how $40 gets you 10 GB but tripling the price to $120 only gets you 25 GB instead of 30 GB. What happened to volume discounts?
elray
join:2000-12-16
Santa Monica, CA

elray

said by biochemistry:

These prices are set to discourage heavy users. How else to explain how $40 gets you 10 GB but tripling the price to $120 only gets you 25 GB instead of 30 GB. What happened to volume discounts?

You aren't buying 10GB. You're buying a 10GB ceiling.

caseywor
join:2004-04-19
Mobile, AL
·Verizon Broadban..
·AT&T FTTP

caseywor

It is better than past options

10GB is better than the mobile options, but still sucks so badly in the overall broadband world. I am so glad that the neighborhood where my parents live, outside of Birmingham, AL, has just got AT&T DSL available to it. With a max of 6Mbps, it's not as fast as Charter, which misses them by 2 miles, but is at least better with its 150GB cap. They are on the outskirts of town in an area that it on the border between rural and suburban. Enough new houses have been built to get a shiny new DSLAM near their house and AT&T now lists their phone as qualified for the first time. I have thought about moving back to the area and building a house on their open property, and AT&T will at least give me a good option, otherwise, Exede may have been the only viable option. Otherwise, I have had to use my Virgin Mobile MiFi2200 to get service when I go for a visit.

Sinbad
@spcsdns.net

Sinbad

Anon

Lies...

DirectTv does not bundle with Excede. I spent 2 hours with DirectTv being miss led about their bundle packs. Excedes says yes they do. DirectTv says they don't.
83345157 (banned)
join:2012-11-14

83345157 (banned)

no lies it is true

this is no spam please
do you really want exede, write david.maya@allitechgroup.com