spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2012-11-24 16:22:13: Everyone here at Broadband Reports gives thanks for the community members and volunteers who make this website unique and useful, and we wish you and yours a happy and safe Thanksgiving holiday weekend. Front page news will return Monday, November 26. ..

page: 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · next

Kommie
Premium
join:2003-05-13
united state
kudos:3

2 recommendations

Walmart Strike and Thanksgiving Opening!

Lets let people have a day off for Thanksgiving by letting Walmart know that we will not shop today or tomorrow.

»www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/2···066.html

Secyurityet
Premium
join:2012-01-07
untied state

1 recommendation

Thankful for...

...just about everything.

Here's hoping you and yours have a blessed, safe, and happy Thanksgiving.

Rogue Wolf
Mourns the Loss of lilhurricane

join:2003-08-12
Troy, NY

Remember!

You don't have to be American to find something to be thankful for today... and you don't have to be thankful only one day out of the year!
--
I may have been born yesterday, but I've spent all afternoon downtown.

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast

Just got the iPad Mini

Just picked up an iPad Mini at Verizon Wireless yesterday and I used their installment plan to pay for it. I had to put it on a new line of service on my ShareEverything plan because they told me that I could not put it on the line that is occupied with the MiFi since that is under contract and it has to do with the agreement with Apple.

Oh Well, another $10 per month on my Verizon bill. Just need to get a case and have a screen protector put on at Best Buy when finances allow. I'll pay Best Buy Geek Squad to put a screen protector on as it is cheap insurance because I tend to mess them up.

Pretty impressive device although the display is not as clear as it's full sized cousin the iPad 3.

I'll be eligible for an upgrade on my iPhone 4 next week so I am planning on buying the iPhone 5 either next week if I can bill it to the account or when I get paid next month. I already bought my OtterBox for the new phone.

pnh102
Reptiles Are Cuddly And Pretty
Premium
join:2002-05-02
Mount Airy, MD

1 edit

8 recommendations

reply to Kommie

Re: Walmart Strike and Thanksgiving Opening!

I never got why these whiners are complaining. Perhaps they should be thankful they have jobs, which for quite a few of them, seem to cover the costs of those green shirts, protest signs, computers and Internet access.

Lots of people work on Turkey Day:

Soldiers
Cops
Firefighters
Paramedics
Doctors
Nurses
Hospital staff
Train Engineers
Bus Drivers
Delivery people
Restaurant workers
Grocery store workers

So if these people don't want to be bothered to work on Turkey Day, they can quit and make room for people who want to do so.

And besides, stores like Walmart, Target and Sears would not be open on Turkey Day if not for people wanting to shop on Turkey Day. Perhaps these strikers should be picketing the shoppers' homes instead.
--
USA 2012 - the mooches won.

FFH5
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5
reply to Rogue Wolf

Re: Remember!

Happy Thanksgiving to the BBR denizens:
»www.jibjab.com/view/kL1WxZUaRgyTYjxMRHwGdw

La Luna
RIP Lisa
Premium
join:2001-07-12
Warwick, NY

2 recommendations

reply to pnh102

said by pnh102:

I never got why these whiners are complaining. Perhaps they should be thankful they have jobs, which for quite a few of them, seem to cover the costs of those green shirts, protest signs, computers and Internet access.

Lots of people work on Turkey Day:

Soldiers
Cops
Firefighters
Paramedics
Doctors
Nurses
Hospital staff
Train Engineers
Bus Drivers
Delivery people
Restaurant workers
Grocery store workers

So if these people don't want to be bothered to work on Turkey Day, they can quit and make room for people who want to do so.

And besides, stores like Walmart, Target and Sears would not be open on Turkey Day if not for people wanting to shop on Turkey Day. Perhaps these strikers should be picketing the shoppers' homes instead.

There's no pressing need for retail stores to be open. What happened the to the days when EVERYTHING was closed on major holidays? Guess what, people survived. There's no reason for this except the almighty buck. And people who shop on holidays like this are stupid to encourage it.

Maybe Walmart employees would like the day off to be with their families, ever think of that? Walmart (and other retailers) aren't going to go broke by any means.

And bus/train services are cut WAY back on major holidays, so they don't really belong on your list. Grocery store workers fall into the same catagory as Walmart workers, no need for those stores to be open. If you can't get your shit together by the day before (like we always used to), too bad.

Happy Thanksgiving. Hope you enjoy YOUR day home with YOUR family.
--
The Alien in the White House

19,994 DEADLY TERROR ATTACKS SINCE 9/11

Kommie
Premium
united state
reply to pnh102
said by pnh102:

Soldiers
Cops
Firefighters
Paramedics
Doctors
Nurses
Hospital staff
Train Engineers
Bus Drivers
Delivery people
Restaurant workers
Grocery store workers

I wouldn't call Soldiers "Workers"

Cops,Firefighters,Paramedics, and Doctors are emergency workers and usually get compensated in other days.

So do most Hospital Staff.

Train Engineers also get compensated in other ways.

Delivery People -->USPS is closed ,so is UPS, not sure about FedEx as they have no union.

Restaurant Workers- Recent Development, everything used to be closed on Thanksgiving due to Blue Laws.

Grocery--> Same as above.

Also the people probably taking the shifts during thanksgiving are the ones barley making ends meet on 9/hr.

pnh102
Premium
Mount Airy, MD
reply to La Luna
said by La Luna:

There's no pressing need for retail stores to be open. What happened the to the days when EVERYTHING was closed on major holidays? Guess what, people survived. There's no reason for this except the almighty buck. And people who shop on holidays like this are stupid to encourage it.

You could make the same argument about the people who work the Westminster Dog Show, football players, the people who work the various parades that happen on this day too, as well as all the other people who work today to furnish everyone else with all this entertainment. But yet, they still show up to fulfill the employment obligations that they chose to take on.
said by La Luna:

Maybe Walmart employees would like the day off to be with their families, ever think of that? Walmart (and other retailers) aren't going to go broke by any means.

We all have to live in a world where we don't get things that we want. Sure, it sucks, but in a day and age where jobs are getting more and more scarce, perhaps this isn't the best way to show that disagreement.
--

pnh102
Premium
Mount Airy, MD
reply to Kommie
said by Kommie:

Cops,Firefighters,Paramedics, and Doctors are emergency workers and usually get compensated in other days.

So do most Hospital Staff.

Train Engineers also get compensated in other ways.

So do Walmart workers and others who work on holidays. No one is expecting them to work 24/7/365. Ironically, many retail employers are slashing hours for people so these people will get more free time off than they wished.
said by Kommie:

Delivery People -->USPS is closed ,so is UPS, not sure about FedEx as they have no union.

I know a few truck drivers who are making deliveries today. They fall into this category.
said by Kommie:

Restaurant Workers- Recent Development, everything used to be closed on Thanksgiving due to Blue Laws.

Grocery--> Same as above.

Blue Laws were rooted in Christianity. Wouldn't you have a problem if government decided to reapply this reasoning to bring these laws back?
--

Kommie
Premium
united state
Walmart workers get straight pay for working today, and some are forced on the shift by taking a normal day away and putting them in on the thanksgiving shift.

Those emergency service workers you mentioned proboly all have unions. Train Engineers like those on Amtrak are Federal Workers and have the day made up as a comp day for vacation.

Those truck drivers, who do they work for ? Subcontracted?

When we had the Blue Laws, everything was closed on Saturday and Sunday(Plus Holidays), I think it was a lot healthier for the populace

gjrhine

join:2001-12-12
Pawleys Island, SC
reply to IowaCowboy

Re: Just got the iPad Mini

$10 for how many gig? I had to switch to Share Everything for an extra $15 to get 4 gig, unlimited minutes and text on 3 phones and the Mini.
--
Gary in South Carolina --For a list of all the ways technology has failed to improve the quality of life, please press three.

gjrhine

Pawleys Island, SC

Thankful

for the Roku FB page today with $25 discount on the Roku 2 XS Streaming Player.

pnh102
Premium
Mount Airy, MD

1 recommendation

reply to Kommie

said by Kommie:

Walmart workers get straight pay for working today, and some are forced on the shift by taking a normal day away and putting them in on the thanksgiving shift.

So? Jobs are a bit scarce these days. Would these people prefer to be unemployed? When you work part time, of course you will make only regular pay unless you hit 40 hours a week. This has been basic US labor law for at least what, 70 years now?

We'd all love to make a six figure salary but at the end of the day we are paid what our employers think we are worth.
said by Kommie:

Those emergency service workers you mentioned proboly all have unions. Train Engineers like those on Amtrak are Federal Workers and have the day made up as a comp day for vacation.

Lol unions... Given what they have done to companies like GM, Chrysler, and Hostess, as well as industries like US manufacturing, textile, steel and many others, perhaps Walmart management thinks it might be a good idea to avoid them.
--

CXM_Splicer
Looking at the bigger picture
Premium
join:2011-08-11
NYC
kudos:2
quote:
So? Jobs are a bit scarce these days. Would these people prefer to be unemployed?

Sorry but being subjected to abuse as opposed to being fired is not a valid choice. People deserve to have a livable work environment.

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
Springfield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast
reply to gjrhine

said by gjrhine:

$10 for how many gig? I had to switch to Share Everything for an extra $15 to get 4 gig, unlimited minutes and text on 3 phones and the Mini.

My data plan is the $70/4GB plan and that is shared between an iPhone 4 (soon to be iPhone 5), two dumb phones (mom & grandma), a MiFi, an iPad 3 and an iPad mini. My mother gives me the $60 for the two dumb phones ($30 each phone). It was cheaper to put mom and grandma on my Verizon ShareEverything plan than it was to have a separate AT&T account for them. Grandma misses her old AT&T phone, if I throw a new gadget in her face, it's a pain in the butt teaching her how to use it as she is 80 years old and not used to new technology. It would be nice if I could reprovision the cell phone she is used to to work on Verizon but AT&T uses GSM where VZW uses CDMA.

Even worse, Time Warner is going all-digital in Maine and teaching her husband (who has dementia) how to use an interactive digital cable box (when he is used to the days of plugging the cable into the back of the TV and using a simple remote) will be real fun...NOT.

The remotes these days have more buttons on them than the Space Shuttle. Hopefully TWC will have DTA converters like Comcast has in my area. Those are designed with the elderly in mind as they work and feel like the set-up they are used to. Or if they could just have a simple remote with power, channel up/down and Volume up/down and a number keypad to punch in a channel manually and disable all the interactive stuff on the box.

There is an old saying "It's hard to teach an old dog new tricks".

CXM_Splicer
Looking at the bigger picture
Premium
join:2011-08-11
NYC
kudos:2
reply to pnh102

said by pnh102:

In case you missed it, that is exactly what Kommie was doing... picketing the shoppers via a virtual picket line. Count me in

battleop

join:2005-09-28

1 recommendation

reply to pnh102
Network Administrators.... I've spent most of my "Day off" dealing with a customer who is an absolute jerk today. He can't believe that we're not running a 100% full staff on a Holiday...
--
I do not, have not, and will not work for AT&T/Comcast/Verizon/Charter or similar sized company.

gjrhine

Pawleys Island, SC
reply to IowaCowboy

said by IowaCowboy:

My data plan is the $70/4GB plan and that is shared between an iPhone 4 (soon to be iPhone 5), two dumb phones (mom & grandma), a MiFi, an iPad 3 and an iPad mini.

Wow I am not getting that. Ours is more like $190 with all taxes and fees for 1 dumb phone, 2 smart phones the Mini and 4Gb. I will have to look at the first bill and see how that breaks down.
--
Gary in South Carolina --For a list of all the ways technology has failed to improve the quality of life, please press three.

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
join:2006-12-28
Allendale, NJ

1 edit

Happy Turkey Day

Hope everyone has a great day

firedrakes

join:2009-01-29
Arcadia, FL

Re: Happy Turkey

anyhow ever have a happy day today

David
I start new work on
Premium,VIP
join:2002-05-30
Granite City, IL
kudos:101
Reviews:
·DIRECTV
·AT&T Midwest
·magicjack.com
·Google Voice

1 recommendation

Happy thanksgiving from AT&T direct

we in the forum wish you a happy thanksgiving.

As far as who is on, I am off till monday and so is MarkM See Profile however I believe there may be others lurking and posting from the uverse side. Not sure on their scheduling as I don't control them. You can also email the uverse guys directly at uversecare@att.com as always.

Have a happy holiday and see you guys next week.

Thanks
David
--
If you have a topic in the direct forum please reply to it or a post of mine, I get a notification when you do this.
Koetting Ford, Granite City, illinois... YOU'RE FIRED!!

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
Springfield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast
reply to gjrhine

said by gjrhine:

said by IowaCowboy:

My data plan is the $70/4GB plan and that is shared between an iPhone 4 (soon to be iPhone 5), two dumb phones (mom & grandma), a MiFi, an iPad 3 and an iPad mini.

Wow I am not getting that. Ours is more like $190 with all taxes and fees for 1 dumb phone, 2 smart phones the Mini and 4Gb. I will have to look at the first bill and see how that breaks down.

My plan is as follows.
Data: 4GB $70
Dumb phone: $30
Dumb phone: $30
iPhone 4: $40
MiFi: $20
iPad 3: $10
iPad Mini: $10

Total $210 before taxes. Mom and Grandma have handset insurance on their dumb phones @ 5.99/month per phone.

I am thinking of ditching the insurance on the dumb phones as it costs a total of 143.76 over the life of the contract and it costs $249 to replace a Samsung Convoy II at full retail.

DataRiker
Premium
join:2002-05-19
reply to CXM_Splicer

said by CXM_Splicer:

quote:
So? Jobs are a bit scarce these days. Would these people prefer to be unemployed?

Sorry but being subjected to abuse as opposed to being fired is not a valid choice. People deserve to have a livable work environment.

Absolutely. America needs a stronger labor law, something most of Canada has. Walmart didn't last very long in Quebec.

Scatcatpdx
Fur It Up

join:2007-06-22
Portland, OR
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to pnh102
For years the Unions have been harassing Walmart preventing them form building new stores,like my neighborhood. This has nothing to do with welfare of workers just trying to get more warm bodies too line the union 's pockets. Yes they Walmart workers could walk off and join the former Hostess Workers in the Unemployment line.

Let there unions pansies work as a contractor as I do, A day off like today means I do not get paid.

DataRiker
Premium
join:2002-05-19
said by Scatcatpdx:

For years the Unions have been harassing Walmart preventing them form building new stores

Nobody harasses Walmart, that is an absolute absurdity.

I take it you prefer taxes to pay Walmart workers wages instead of Walmart paying a livable wage.

There is nothing wrong with workers organizing, it is an essentially part to any free market.

And I gladly pay my union dues, as its the better of two evils. Much better.

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
Springfield, MA

1 edit
reply to Kommie
Pulling out of this discussion.

gjrhine

Pawleys Island, SC
reply to IowaCowboy

Ok I guess I misread before. That sounds about right. Our $190 cost (includes taxes & fees) also includes a certain (can not remember how much) % discount because it is a corporate plan for the wife's Blackberry.
--

Rob_
Premium
join:2008-07-16
Mary Esther, FL

1 recommendation

Made In China

Are you guys going to start shopping American? It be nice to do some homework and check out what's made here (not very much) but every little bit helps.

You can check here: »www.madeinusa.com/

Let's stop sending all of our jobs overseas this Friday..

-Rob

Scatcatpdx
Fur It Up

join:2007-06-22
Portland, OR
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to DataRiker

Oh yea where when you in Portland Oregon when union assisted in organized a not in my Back Yard campaign to block Beaverton, Cedar Mills and Baseline Road proposed locations. Where were you during the Fred Myer strike when I had to walk past Union pickets at Non union and employee owned Winco stores. Don't tell me what I did not see with my own eyes.
?? "take it you prefer taxes to pay Walmart workers wages instead of Walmart paying a livable wage."
I smell a red herring fallacy a mile way