dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2012-11-26 16:14:18: Sprint has lit up eleven more LTE markets with a continued focus on smaller towns and cities. ..

page: 1 · 2 · 3 · next
Prespd
join:2004-03-10
Wyoming, MI

Prespd

Now build where people live

Great Sprint. I'm happy to see more markets going live, but how about a running count of cities/regions with any real qty of POPS? At least give us a count like say 50/300 existing towers upgraded, and 10/4,000 new ones activated? How about an ETA map?

Sure don't give away the farm, then at least identify the top 15 tier markets and give us a total of the running upgrades/installations. Don't worry, we can calculate percentages on our own. Give us some more details, but sure, protect your market position with what you share. Nerds like me want to know.

Edited due to my crappy spelling
iansltx
join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX

iansltx

»s4gru.com

Wish, granted.

The info isn't directly from Sprint's PR folks, but it is real, actual info.

Also, as has been said before, Sprint is launching smaller markets because you can launch a small market after upgrading five or ten towers. Whereas you need to upgrade five hundred towers/cell sites to get some place like LA online.

IPPlanMan
Holy Cable Modem Batman
join:2000-09-20
Washington, DC

IPPlanMan

Numbers game...

This is the only way for it to appear that Sprint isn't so far behind on LTE..... Get the numbers up with multiple small towns launching at the same time.

I don't fault Sprint for doing it this way. They simply don't have the money or capital to launch large markets simultaneously like Verizon and to a lesser extent, AT&T does. Verizon is the king of LTE launches.

Getting numbers up quickly looks better than it really is. Hopefully they don't lose customers in the big cities while they build out small towns.

The wait for LTE on an iPhone 5 or other LTE-capable device in larger markets has got to be frustrating as hell for those folks.
ydoucare
join:2003-03-12
Lafayette, IN

ydoucare

said by IPPlanMan:

Hopefully they don't lose customers in the big cities while they build out small towns.

They're not delaying big cities to focus on smaller cities by any stretch of the imagination. Most of these small cities fall within the large markets, like Chicago, that they're already working on. Chicago, for example, has hundreds of cell sites complete and operational already, they just haven't officially launched it. Sprint's biggest problem is people making ignorant assumptions of their LTE rollout based on worthless press releases.

morbo
Complete Your Transaction
join:2002-01-22

morbo to IPPlanMan

to IPPlanMan
said by IPPlanMan:

The wait for LTE on an iPhone 5

LTE networks have been out for more than 2 years while the iPhone 3Gs was still being produced. I think the faithful have proven they can and will wait it out for next generation LTE network.

IPPlanMan
Holy Cable Modem Batman
Washington, DC

IPPlanMan to ydoucare

to ydoucare
said by ydoucare:

Sprint's biggest problem is people making ignorant assumptions of their LTE rollout based on worthless press releases.

You mean "worthless press releases" directly from Sprint? Those worthless press releases?

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· 8Sx4B2Sk

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium Member
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ

AVD to morbo

Premium Member

to morbo
If it wasn't for iPhone, Sprint would have kept its "4G" as wimax.

LightS
Premium Member
join:2005-12-17
Greenville, TX

LightS to IPPlanMan

Premium Member

to IPPlanMan
For what it's worth, I'm about 45 miles from Dallas and I have LTE with Sprint. Coverage in the entire DFW region is much better than it was just a few months ago.

IPPlanMan
Holy Cable Modem Batman
Washington, DC

IPPlanMan to morbo

to morbo
The device itself is no longer the limiting factor... It's geography, permits, money and NIMBY's... (Not in my backyarders...)
xenophon
join:2007-09-17

xenophon to LightS

to LightS
Coverage in KC sucked at first too but they keep adding more LTE sites. Even outskirts of KC have LTE now. But they still need to do some more infill.

»dl.dropbox.com/u/3812896 ··· tlte.png

WHT
join:2010-03-26
Rosston, TX

WHT to LightS

to LightS
Far northwest Fort Worth on Loop 620, on a rare occasion I see 5 Mbps, but usually less than 3 Mbps...and more than often, it drops to half speed one third of the way through the speed test. Sunday afternoon 4G was 800 Kbps and 3G was only 200 Kbps.

LightS
Premium Member
Greenville, TX

LightS

Premium Member

The point of my original post, though, was to state that a large amount of cities in the DFW region have LTE service without Sprint saying explicitly that they do.

I was actually just in northwest FW (North Richland Hills) a few days ago and I was getting about 29mbps down. Pretty good.

Other times, it's lower, about 9 or so - but I've never seen 3mbps on LTE around there with Sprint. I've only had this iPhone 5 for a week, but I did a lot of driving and took note of speeds. They were almost always great. 3G is, of course, garbage lol.

morbo
Complete Your Transaction
join:2002-01-22

morbo to IPPlanMan

to IPPlanMan
NIMBY is an issue with new towers. Not so much with replacing existing tower equipment. Am I missing something?
Happydude32
Premium Member
join:2005-07-16

Happydude32

Premium Member

Tired of waiting for LTE

As a company, I like Sprint. As a company I hate Verizon Wireless. But Saturday after 9 years of being with Nextel & Sprint, I switched over to Verizon. And boy did it hurt!

What good is Unlimited Data when average speeds on 3G are not much faster than dial up? On Thursdays for work, I'm in a small rural town with no Sprint service. I would roam on to Verizon’s 1X network and at -85 dB pull in faster speeds then having a perfect signal on Sprints own native EVDO network when I’m back to civilization. Tell me that isn’t fucked up. I could deal with not having LTE coverage for another year, but when it takes 10 minutes to load a stupid YouTube clip, that was enough. Sprint has announced no plans to upgrade either Buffalo or Rochester, NY to LTE. Although as of two weeks ago, progress was being made as Sprints EVDO Network now registers as EHRPD which is a prelude to LTE. Speeds got slightly better, but nothing to write home about.

Verizon’s LTE speeds are a tad bid disappointing around here. I’ve been averaging 8-13 Mb Down and about 3-5Mb Up. When I had a wimax phone on Sprint, in Rochester I would get the same download and 1.5-2.0Mb on the upload. When Sprint launches LTE in Upstate NY and has a significant portion of the area covered, I may switch back. Contracts and ETFs don’t scare me. I just bought the Evo 4G LTE in June and less than 6 months later I moved on.

LightS
Premium Member
Greenville, TX

1 edit

LightS

Premium Member

Wait.... if I may ask, why is 8-13mb down so bad? My Verizon Galaxy Nexus gets good LTE speeds. I've seen around 30mbps for both my Galaxy Nexus on LTE & Sprint's LTE.

Sprint iPhone 5

Verizon Galaxy Nexus

I would take a new Verizon LTE test but I haven't lived in that area for months & no LTE here.

edit: while I agree, 8-13mbps is nothing compared to what I posted above... do you honestly need that speed? If your area is congested with LTE phones, I think that's pretty darn respectable. I'd love to get 30mbps all of the time, but honestly, for the majority of the stuff I do on a phone etc even 5mbps is enough... while you may be different, I don't see how you can need that much lol
Beans5
united state

Beans5

Simple if your teathered to your laptop, download a large file, yes I want 30 Mbps all the time, but for everything else, Nope.
Happydude32
Premium Member

Happydude32 to LightS

Premium Member

to LightS
It’s not really bad, just disappointing. After reading on sites like this how shitty wimax is and how much better LTE is, I was expecting more.

Here’s my personal best on Sprint 4G Wimax:

Here’s my personal best on Verizon 4G LTE:
dmelling
join:2009-02-26
New Paris, OH

dmelling

Softbank Deal......just wait

Yes, I have been frustrated with Sprint service and was first to get the first EVO waiting for WiMax......it never happened. Now I am waiting for a taste of LTE. My home WISP service is horrible and got a pre-paid Mifi from Verizon, the speeds were good 8-12 meg...but I burnt past my allotted 4 Gig in 6 days.....

Anyhow, was reading all about the founder of Softbank and with their 20B cash infusion into Sprint, and his belief of shaking up the pricing scheme to beat the competition, I believe we will see LTE-TD service at a much lower price point than anyone plus without caps.
LineNoise
join:2006-06-25
Downers Grove, IL
(Software) pfSense

LineNoise

who cares?

I left S about 5 month ago when I couldn't drive around the block and keep a call and had to walk out to the street in my suburban home when I used to be able to hold a call in my basement.

I'd really like to keep my money with a wholly US based company. I guess that leaves AT&T and Leap. Fuck.
BiggA
Premium Member
join:2005-11-23
Central CT
·Frontier FiberOp..
Asus RT-AC68

BiggA

Premium Member

You know a company is screwed when...

They start building little markets out to pump their market count up. AT&T and Verizon didn't do that- they tackled NYC, SF, LA, Chicago, Boston, etc, etc, right up front where LTE is actually needed (Ok, Sprint's 3G is so bad that everywhere needs LTE, but still...).

LightS
Premium Member
Greenville, TX

LightS to Beans5

Premium Member

to Beans5

Re: Tired of waiting for LTE

You want 30mbps all of the time? Not happening unless you're on a lone tower with nobody else using data.
Terabit
join:2008-12-19

Terabit to Happydude32

to Happydude32
Those WIMAX and LTE speeds are not the norm and certainly nowhere near the best for LTE or average for WIMAX.

Not to mention, handsets also make a difference. I'm seeing well over 30MB/s DL and 8mb/s UL with 3 bars LTE on an iPad.

LightS
Premium Member
Greenville, TX

LightS to Happydude32

Premium Member

to Happydude32
That's not bad, but not great. This is my first personal LTE phone with Sprint (well, it's a work phone) and I'm not sure if their upload is just naturally slower or what, but I've gotten 15+ mbps upstream with Verizon.

Either way, I don't blame you for expecting more.. it should be better!

joe_durt
@airadvantage.net

joe_durt

Anon

you got LTE and still complain ?

I live in an area where ATT and Sprint are the only major players, and neither offer 3G, let alone LTE. The best connection we have around here is a small mom and pop wireless company that has had 3G for a few years and is getting ready to light up LTE. Meanwhile, AT&T is contemplating upgrading a few select sites from omni to sector....Yey. Cable, WiSP, DSL ? Too funny. My WiSP provider charges for broadband and supplies eye popping speeds near that of dial-up.

So, while you remain spoiled with several options for broadband, remember the rest of us.
Prespd
join:2004-03-10
Wyoming, MI

Prespd

Still like Sprint

Still, I prefer Sprint over everything else for unlimited. And I can attest, that I have LTE in a non-launched market on Sprint, SF Bay Area, and the speeds are around 14-16 down. It's the coverage that I can't wait to be expanded.

Than and the iPhone 5 I have craps out sometimes when switching signals, especially from LTE to 3G and to and from Wifi. Sometimes need to cycle data on and off to pick up the best signal when it is there.
WeKnSmith
join:2001-08-09
Noblesville, IN

WeKnSmith to Prespd

to Prespd

Re: Now build where people live

The three listed Indiana markets are all college towns. Indianapolis is really filling in too:

»sensorly.com/map/4G/US/U ··· #q=46038

toby
Troy Mcclure
join:2001-11-13
Seattle, WA

1 recommendation

toby to AVD

to AVD

Re: Numbers game...

said by AVD:

If it wasn't for iPhone, Sprint would have kept its "4G" as wimax.

Huh?

Clearwire owns the Wimax towers and infrastructure, Sprint leased space from them.

Sprint is implementing their own LTE infrastructure on 99% of their existing towers.

Wimax is a very capable platform, it was never installed very widely.
NiteSn0w
join:2010-12-24

NiteSn0w to WHT

to WHT
Either the tower you're connecting to is two far away or is not completely upgraded and approved by Sprint. Sprint LTE should yield 37/18 Mbit/s (up/down) with full signal.
NiteSn0w

NiteSn0w to LightS

to LightS

Re: Tired of waiting for LTE

Upload on Sprint's LTE wont be the best until the network is completely upgraded in your area or you have full signal. If you have full LTE signal you should see 18 Megabit/s up MAX. Sprint uses a 5x5 MHz LTE carrier. 5 MHz for downstream and 5 MHz for upstream resulting in 37 Megabit/s down and 18 Megabit/s up per carrier, per sector.
NiteSn0w

NiteSn0w to BiggA

to BiggA

Re: You know a company is screwed when...

The small cities aren't markets, they're cities in larger markets. Chicago encompasses all of what most people consider Chicagoland. Chicagoland has over 1000 cell towers alone which take several weeks to completely upgrade from start to finish. By announcing these cities as having LTE they're saying/showing that they're making progress in the larger markets.
page: 1 · 2 · 3 · next