dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2012-11-28 08:14:57: Former FCC Commissioner turned cable lobbyist Michael Powell this week proclaimed that the FCC should be stripped of their authority to review mergers. ..

page: 1 · 2 · 3 · next

DataRiker
Premium Member
join:2002-05-19

2 recommendations

DataRiker

Premium Member

Corruption

Former FCC Commissioner turned cable lobbyist Michael Powell

Can you say corruption!

StevenB
Premium Member
join:2000-10-27
New York, NY

StevenB

Premium Member

i agree 100% with you. I'm just damn tired of this gov't electing these lobbyists into positions like this. Maybe moving to Sweden, Norway, will be a better thing for me and my family. This blatant corruption is too much for me.

NOCTech75
Premium Member
join:2009-06-29
Marietta, GA

NOCTech75

Premium Member

said by StevenB:

i agree 100% with you. I'm just damn tired of this gov't electing these lobbyists into positions like this. Maybe moving to Sweden, Norway, will be a better thing for me and my family. This blatant corruption is too much for me.

Buh bye.
Relic (banned)
join:2003-09-29

Relic (banned) to StevenB

to StevenB
said by StevenB:

And you think you won't find corruption in Norway and Sweden?

cableties
Premium Member
join:2005-01-27

cableties

Premium Member

Lillyhammer!

StevenB
Premium Member
New York, NY
·Charter

1 recommendation

StevenB to Relic

Premium Member

to Relic
I know corruption exists everywhere, i'm not that much of fool. But i've spent my entire life here in the us. Sure i've benefited some, but i've given alot. From taxes, helping out many homeless charities. Helping our native americans, build some sort of property and self respect.

But why all of a sudden i want out of here? Cause this isn't the america, i once loved. This self absorbed, rich thinking, take, take philosophy is too much. I understand you can't change everything, and crap is gonna happen. But to do it blatantly in your face, come on now.

Also i would like not having to spend close to 11 grand a year, with co-pays and other services. I would like free health care, and im willing to pay the taxes out of my income for it.

sorry for the rant, but i cannot take this corruption from my gov't.

battleop
join:2005-09-28

1 recommendation

battleop

I guess you failed miserably in economics class.

How is paying more in taxes is free healthcare?
Terabit
join:2008-12-19

4 edits

1 recommendation

Terabit to StevenB

to StevenB
said by StevenB:

Corruption is an issue because of the people we vote in and our inability to tackle it. What we need is a Separation of Corporation and State Constitutional amendment. However, you can bet your bottom dollar that not a single (R) would vote for such a rational thing.

God Forbid we setup an entity with the power to look out for the best interests of those mentioned in the preamble (pretext) of the Constitution - We the People. Anyone ever seen the terms: profit, business, CEO, corporations, Venture/Vulture Capitalist, heck Capitalist in our Constitution??

I have nothing against reasonable profit and so forth. However, these should never override the best interest of the people and ultimately our nation.

Moreover, what we have today is not the capitalism of the 50's or 60s; it's is crony capitalism and that is no better than any other extreme system - like Communism. In layman terms, shame s---t different smell.
Terabit

2 edits

2 recommendations

Terabit to battleop

to battleop
Well, actually, they do not pay more. Health care costs are 3 times 'lower' per capita overseas, when compared to what we spend here. Even Switzerland, which is has best ranked and most expensive NHS in the world, is 2 to 3 times cheaper than our system to operate.

This isn't the 80's and the world has changed. As with most things nowadays, like our Presidential model, nobody but 3rd world countries are left using our GOP endorsed approach to everything.

In addition, since most other advanced economies do not use our archaic, inefficient, and ironically highly bureaucratic states / county rights system, they are able to realize economies of scale; so my effective tax rates were essentially the same when I live abroad. Not wasting $1 Trillion a year on defense helped my taxes too.

In return for these taxes, I received a range of services and perks. Not to mention, their infrastructure, quality of life, condition of their towns, cities, streets, roads etc were cutting-edge and second to none.

battleop

battleop

You failed to explain how paying more taxes for heath care makes free health care free.
Terabit
join:2008-12-19

Terabit

said by battleop:

You failed to explain how paying more taxes for heath care makes free health care free.

Actually, since I didn't make that assertion, I cannot have failed. Rather, it's you who "failed" to read.

While not worded appropriately their underlying point still stands. Essentially every single other 'developed' country but America, use a NHS or single payer model.

Another fact is that due to economies of scale and eliminating profit from the sector, these models work out to be 2 to 3 times cheaper (per capita).

In addition, in the overwhelming majority of actual studies that compare and contrast healthcare in OECD nations in terms of quality, availability, outcomes, access, waiting times, etc - our system ranks last. Yes, these are actual studies, versus the gut-feelings and talking points of faux news and talk-radio hosts.

battleop

battleop

You would do well in politics because none of your ramblings come close to answering my question about how paying more in taxes would make healthcare FREE.

dnoyeB
Ferrous Phallus
join:2000-10-09
Southfield, MI

1 recommendation

dnoyeB

Not a TELCO lobbyist

Surprised he works for the cableco since I believe he presided over the death of second tier DSL. Not only that, but waited till the second tier got heavily invested then removed the rules causing the bankruptcy of many DSL companies.

StevenB
Premium Member
New York, NY
·Charter

StevenB to battleop

Premium Member

to battleop

Re: Corruption

do you enjoy putting people down because they express their opinion? Are you one of the of the 'keyboard tough guys' cause typing something about me failing economics class is disrespectful. I didn't address this to you, i just voiced my opinion yet again.

And again as I stated. I'm willing to pay more taxes for free health care, paved roads, and other stuff, we in America do not get with our taxes.
StevenB

StevenB to Terabit

Premium Member

to Terabit
I agree, and well worded. By that I've learned alot.
CXM_Splicer
Looking at the bigger picture
Premium Member
join:2011-08-11
NYC

CXM_Splicer to battleop

Premium Member

to battleop
Simple, when you go to the doctor... you don't pay. AKA 'free healthcare'.
old_wiz_60
join:2005-06-03
Bedford, MA

old_wiz_60 to DataRiker

to DataRiker
Absolutely! I wonder how much he was promised or paid while still working for the FCC? Most government agencies are so corrupt that it's hard to figure out which ones are honest. The FCC and DOJ are certainly not honest.
Kamus
join:2011-01-27
El Paso, TX

Kamus

Cheaper mergers please.

FCC involved or not they still get away with anything. So it wouldn't make any difference. But those mergers would come down in price and time quite a bit IMO.

Comcast+TimeWarner soon?

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5 to StevenB

Premium Member

to StevenB

said by StevenB:

But why all of a sudden i want out of here? Cause this isn't the america, i once loved. This self absorbed, rich thinking, take, take philosophy is too much. I understand you can't change everything, and crap is gonna happen. But to do it blatantly in your face, come on now.

Also i would like not having to spend close to 11 grand a year, with co-pays and other services. I would like free health care, and im willing to pay the taxes out of my income for it.

The problem is related to the gimme, gimme attitude:
A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves money from the public treasury.

Somnambul33t
L33t.
Premium Member
join:2002-12-05

Somnambul33t

Premium Member

eh

I dont know who Powell is outside of the article, nor do i really care, but i dont see how 2 privately-owned companies should be required to prove "public interest" in voluntarily merging. if way over 99% of the "public" has no stake in either company, what gives you any right at all to determine if they should be allowed to do what they both agreed upon?

I am 100% for taking business out of government, and vice versa, but until we restrict government's more than willingness to regulate the types of light bulbs and toilets we can buy, you're going to have lobbyists trying to use government as a leg up on competition.

You want no business lobyists? fine. remove 99% of the regulations causing them to NEED lobbyists.

battleop

1 recommendation

battleop to StevenB

to StevenB

People just don't get it. They don't understand that NOTHING is free. If you pay more in taxes you are not getting "FREE" health care. Someone has to pay for it somewhere so the notion that you are getting "FREE" healthcare is complete bullshit if you have to pay any more than what you pay today.
battleop

battleop to CXM_Splicer

to CXM_Splicer
Who's going to pay for his services? The government.

Where does government get it's money? From tax payers via taxes.

What do people use to pay taxes? Money.

Nothing is free.
chgo_man99
join:2010-01-01
Sunnyvale, CA

chgo_man99 to battleop

to battleop
Said very well. I say those who say they don't like America and would rather live in another country, why they are not leaving and staying here? Ah yes, higher disposable income, cheaper life, better consumer market, etc etc.

No nation is without their problems. Taxes or premiums paid to healthcare companies whats the difference. In addition, most don't acknowledge that those premiums are deducted from pre-tax contribution unless you own private individual health insurance if you're healthy single or rich which is maybe like what 6% of population. I disagree with notion single payer system is the best. Germany has universal multi-payer system that is tons better than NHS in the UK. Not too mention many Britons have horrible teeth, because dentist care there is poor.

Norway, Sweden are in cold climate and have small towns compared to their southern neighbors. They can kiss with their 1-TB fiber optic broadband my a**, i'll settle down in Chicago with 20mb (and I have option to faster if I spend more $$) over Gothenburg or any middle of nowhere place. Fact is bigger cities, with higher population density in larger economic of scale are always gonna come up with higher COL, paying more in mortgage/rent for smaller space. And I rather have money from investors than taxes invested in info-structure. Its true the system is not perfect, many people want access to fast, short-term profit and believe in become-rich-fast scheme. Its greed, but the greed in government can ruin country and economy as well, not just in capitalist world. Its just more matter of balance and regulations. We have 401k invested in stock market and we all want high fast profit and yet stable, solid no loss low risk investment which two cannot go together.

NOCTech75
Premium Member
join:2009-06-29
Marietta, GA

NOCTech75 to StevenB

Premium Member

to StevenB
said by StevenB:

And again as I stated. I'm willing to pay more taxes for free health care, paved roads, and other stuff, we in America do not get with our taxes.

Sure hope you don't take deductions when you do your income taxes.
CXM_Splicer
Premium Member
NYC

CXM_Splicer to battleop

Premium Member

to battleop
said by battleop:

Who's going to pay for his services? The government.

Where does government get it's money? From tax payers via taxes.

What do people use to pay taxes? Money.

Nothing is free.

Well, we only need to go up to the search bar to find:

»Re: Analog Voice Gateways

where you talk about Adtran having free support and free AOS updates. This brings us to a problem since you apparently don't hold to your own beliefs. Obviously Adtran factors the costs of support and updates into the purchase price of their products but you were willing to ignore that fact since you are not paying extra for support or updates.

By holding to such an extreme definition of 'free' you render the word meaningless. Are you trying to get this word (which you apparently have no problem using in certain contexts) deleted from the dictionary or are you just upset at the thought of healthcare costs being passed off proportionally to those who can afford it.

JakCrow
join:2001-12-06
Palo Alto, CA

JakCrow

Powell was already in bed with media years ago.

This was the guy that claimed consumers would benefit from the "competition" of a single cableco, a single satco, and a single telco for the entire country, WHILE he was FCC chair. His dad must be so disappointed.

battleop

1 recommendation

battleop to CXM_Splicer

to CXM_Splicer

That's a politician's reply for sure. Deflect and defuse. Come back with that analogy when Adtran is tax payer funded.

"are you just upset at the thought of healthcare costs being passed off proportionally to those who can afford it."

I am sick and tired of having to help pay the way others who continue to sit on their asses and do nothing. We are slowly evolving into a Nation where it's too easy to sit on your ass and let the government take care of you instead of get our and work hard to get ahead in life.

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5

Premium Member

said by battleop:

I am sick and tired of having to help pay the way others who continue to sit on their asses and do nothing. We are slowly evolving into a Nation where it's too easy to sit on your ass and let the government take care of you instead of get our and work hard to get ahead in life.

Ain't that the truth.
CXM_Splicer
Premium Member
NYC

CXM_Splicer to battleop

Premium Member

to battleop
It wasn't an analogy but a problem with your flip-flopping definition.

What you (and many others) see as people who sit on their asses and do nothing, I see a group of people being left behind by the system... they are not choosing this. Many people like to portray that these are all lazy, worthless humps that sit around milking the system (Romney calls them 'the 47%'). This is simply not true; the vast majority of them are (or were) hard working people who either retired or fell victim to increasing profits. When you have businesses cutting back, laying off, and no longer paying for healthcare insurance as part of compensation packages, what exactly do you think is going to happen?

Are we to assume that you pay entirely for your own medical costs?
FrontirCynic
join:2006-10-25
Long Beach, CA

FrontirCynic to battleop

to battleop
well metaphysically speaking nothing in the universe is "free" (or without cost)

Sorta like the "you did not build that" line from Sen. elect Warren
page: 1 · 2 · 3 · next