spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2012-11-30 09:21:45: Hoping to speed customer migration off of the company's closing iDen network, Sprint will start charging iDen users a $10 fee if they have not upgraded to Sprint's CDMA push-to-talk service. ..

page: 1 · 2 · 3 · next

bnceo

join:2007-10-11
Bel Air, MD

What a Missed Opportunity

How hard is it to give all Nextel users a pick of their smartphone on Sprint. Let them pick anything and get the customer. Sprint is simply saying they don't want any former Nextel customer, regardless on their pay record. Which is truly confusing.

Telco

join:2008-12-19
Sprint's not renowned for making smart businesses decisions. Like you said, give them a choice of free handsets, or discounted for the better models, and move them off the network.

They're going to lose customers and they're dragging their feet on being able to use the spectrum. Then again, this is the epitome of Sprint - Coming Soon.

taraf

join:2011-05-07
Stittsville, ON
reply to bnceo
said by bnceo:

How hard is it to give all Nextel users a pick of their smartphone on Sprint. Let them pick anything and get the customer. Sprint is simply saying they don't want any former Nextel customer, regardless on their pay record. Which is truly confusing.

The point of adding the $10/mo fee is to try to encourage users to switch to something newer. They've been trying to convince the iDen customers to move over to newer offerings since they acquired Nextel, but there will always be people who think that their existing device is good enough, and who will refuse to upgrade until you force them to.

Heck, I still know people who have a pager, and prefer fax machines over e-mail. I would lay odds that the majority of customers who were originally on iDen have upgraded by now already.

jc100

join:2002-04-10

1 edit
Contrary to popular belief, neither the fax nor pager are dead. Doctors still have pagers as they can be reached in areas cell phones don't work. Also, some other professionals have pagers, too.

The fax machine is still heavily utilized by the medical industry and corporate world. It's far more secure than email and is a direct person to person contact when sending a document. An email can be "snooped upon" if someone loses their password, etc. Thus, the fax will never be dead.

How many of the general populous uses a face or page? Not many. People still have fax machines (much more than pages), for the above reason though.

jack b
Gone Fishing
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-08
Cape Cod
kudos:1

Almost free Upgrade

$10 a month is a pretty strong incentive to move along. Sprint already turned off the iDEN service in my area and when I called to inquire about "no service" they offered to sell me similarly featured (to what I already had) Sprint-Connect PTT capable phones for a dollar.

They also offered to give a me pretty heavy discount for an upgrade to an iPhone with a 2yr commitment, which I subsequently took.
--
~Help Find a Cure for Cancer~
~Proud Member of Team Discovery ~

A Name

@rr.com
reply to bnceo

Re: What a Missed Opportunity

Sprint has been targeting Nextel users with 49.00 Iphone 4s, 29.99 galaxy S II, free Evo 3D, 100 svc credit + 150.00 upgrade discount......

battleop

join:2005-09-28
reply to jc100
Until you can come up with a Fax over IP system that's as easy as laying down a stack of paper, hitting 10 numbers, the start button, and walk away Faxing not going anywhere. I've yet to install a VoIP circuit where I didn't have to configure t38 so their faxing will work.
--
I do not, have not, and will not work for AT&T/Comcast/Verizon/Charter or similar sized company.

meeeeeeeeee

join:2003-07-13
Newburgh, NY
reply to bnceo
said by bnceo:

They have tried carrots, and still are... but sometimes you gotta use a stick to move people. I'm SURE that when people call to complain about the stick, they'll be offered a nice juicy carrot.
--
Isn't it sad that those that raise their right hand and swear "to support and defend the Constitution of the United States of America" are usually the ones most likely to trash it.

Boosted20V

join:2012-11-03
reply to jack b

Re: Almost free Upgrade

Thank you for actually posting a reasonable response. Sprint clearly IS offering these people good upgrades but most of the people in this camp don't see a reason to upgrade their device. At some point you need to incur an extra cost to speed things up. Also, in regards to the comment above about Sprint wasting this spectrum. They have cleared off enough traffic to begin using 800mhz for CDMA voice and after they completey shut down iDEN in June, they will move data services onto it. Considering they initally stated 2017 would be full shut-down, I'd say that was rather speedy.

itsmeagain

@att.net
reply to Telco

I'm a Sprint customer and I have received numerous promotional fliers with offers of deeply discounted (ie $0.99) phones - even smart phones - with and without push-to-talk service. They have been sending these to me for at least 6 months. They called me 3-4 times about buying my unused iDen phones back for $10-$25 a pop. They have been working hard to move my company off of iDen. I think, this is now another way to move customers off of iDen.
I'm just saying they have been nice before they have no other choice and turn nasty...

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast

Just like the analog shutdown

I was in an AT&T store around 2006 or 2007 and there was an elderly woman in there that was being told she had to upgrade her phone and she told them she did not want to upgrade her phone. Her device was a Nokia 51xx series device and I figured that it was a TDMA device (which AT&T shut down around the same time that they shut down the AMPS network).

The thing with elderly is they don't like upgrades and you have them screaming bloody murder when they are forced to upgrade (case in point, cable providers shutting down analog channels and forcing them to accept a set-top box or DTA). It's even worse when you add dementia to the equation as their memory issues make it beyond impossible to learn the new technology. Many elderly households still are using rotary phones that are still mounted on the kitchen wall as their sole communications source (even worse, they are still renting them as they had the option to continue renting or buy the device when they broke up AT&T/Bell System in 1984 and they choose the rent option which they are still doing 28 years later).

I am 29 years old and I cannot wait to get the latest gadgets. I plan on buying the iPhone 5 next week as I am now eligible for an upgrade on Verizon. I also just bought an iPad Mini (had to exchange it as the first one had several defects) and I bought it on the Verizon device installment plan.

If you read this comment and you have elderly parents or grandparents, ask if you can see a copy of their phone bill. Many times they have charges crammed on the bill and they may still be "renting" the rotary phone that they may or may not be using or may no longer have in their possession. I have heard many stories of elderly folks still being charged rent on phones 28 years after the breakup of the phone company and the amount they've paid over the years probably could buy 500 64GB iPhones at the full retail price.

Grandma has Time Warner for phone. She switched her phone to Time Warner after FairPoint came to town (she lives in Maine). I bought her a Panasonic cordless phone and she has a Samsung Convoy II on my Verizon ShareEverything plan as backup.

Network Guy
Premium
join:2000-08-25
New York
kudos:2

Fuck Sprint

That is all

ISurfTooMuch

join:2007-04-23
Tuscaloosa, AL
reply to IowaCowboy

Re: Just like the analog shutdown

I mostly agree with you, except for the reasons many elderly people don't do upgrades. It isn't so much an issue of dementia as it is an issue of what they have fitting their needs. For instance, my parents didn't own an answering machine, and, even after I got them one, they never used it. When I asked them why, they said that, if someone really needed to reach them, they could call back if they (my parents) didn't answer the first time. Granted, this way of doing things seems terribly inefficient to me, but they'd managed just fine like this all their lives, and they saw no reason to change. It was a slower pace of life, but, if you think about it, it was less stressful to them, since they didn't have to worry about remembering to check their messages.

The same goes for cell phones. If you view them as simply a tool, like a shovel or rake, then it makes sense that some people don't want to upgrade them unless the one they have breaks. They know how the one they have works, and, as long as it does what they need it to do, they're happy. Plus, remember that folks who lived through the Great Depression and World War II were very conscious of being frugal. If they didn't absolutely need to buy something, they didn't, and that behavior stuck with many of them.

m3nphls

join:2012-10-02
Brooklyn, NY

well...

Sprint PTT is crap as well... Here in NYC since their 3G is so unreliable it is even worst than Verizon PTT.

Skippy25

join:2000-09-13
Hazelwood, MO
reply to battleop

Well..... many printers in a business environment can scan to email. I would say that is a pretty good replacement for the fax system and it pretty much eliminates the use of additional paper.

TBBroadband

join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·MegaPath
reply to Telco
Sprint wouldn't have this problem today if they didn't allow those customers that were NOT happy with Sprint to move to Nextel back at the merger. Now those customers don't want to switch. With that Sprint decides to charge them extra. Sounds like Sprint will do anything to make a buck and to lose more customers.

The better question is what they're doing with the prepaid side of Boost and all those customers that still have iDEN phones.

TBBroadband

Fremont, OH
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·MegaPath

2 recommendations

reply to taraf
Sprint was NEVER trying to move customers from Nextel to the CDMA side. They were ALLOWING customers to move free between the two. This is the result of a half-ass merger that was NEVER done correctly. Never let customers move to a network that you want to shut down.

I can tell you several major customers of Sprint's that have never moved yet. Several of them are government contracts and others are utility companies- who have well over 15,000 lines.

TBBroadband

Fremont, OH
reply to m3nphls

Re: well...

Many parts of Ohio are the same way.

hamburglar_

join:2002-04-29
united state
reply to Skippy25

Unless you have sensitive information in the documents. Once they are in your email, they are much less secure.

hitachi369
Embrace Your Rights
Premium
join:2001-10-03
Grand Rapids, MI
kudos:4
reply to battleop
Even then, fax is more secure. Provided you are following safe data handling internally, you dont have to worry about a compromise or a 3rd party snooping (unless they are tapping your phone line.) With email it is going all over the place and anyone in between could be poking around your message.

Skippy25

Hazelwood, MO
reply to hamburglar_
You can use many encryption methods with email and the contents of them.

Sending a fax to another fax machine that is typically setup in a general office location to be shared by many not only opens your fax up to a much bigger potential audience but it also leaves a paper trail that then has to be properly disposed of. And you consider that to be more secure?

sk1939
Premium
join:2010-10-23
Mclean, VA
kudos:10
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
·Verizon FiOS
said by Skippy25:

You can use many encryption methods with email and the contents of them.

Sending a fax to another fax machine that is typically setup in a general office location to be shared by many not only opens your fax up to a much bigger potential audience but it also leaves a paper trail that then has to be properly disposed of. And you consider that to be more secure?

Perhaps, but it's much easier for an email to be intercepted, not to mention the fact that it happens to reside on servers that service thousands of users.

Additionally, encrypting email is not something most email clients do natively, especially from a copy machine, and require significant extra steps. These steps aren't likely to be handled well by administrative assistants.

There is a reason the government and corporate industry still use fax machines.

RARPSL

join:1999-12-08
Suffern, NY
reply to hamburglar_
said by hamburglar_:

Unless you have sensitive information in the documents. Once they are in your email, they are much less secure.

There is no reason why you can not encrypt the eFax file before mailing it as an attachment. The major problem with emailing a Fax file as opposed to doing a direct Fax-Machine to Fax-Machine connection is that you have no way to know that the message arrived. This is the same "problem" as sending ANY email message - you know it was sent but have no way of knowing if/when it arrived.

faberoptic6

join:2001-05-13
San Antonio, TX

The End is Nigh

Personal Phone: Galaxy S3, bought off-contract (thanks for making me look stupid on Black Friday... $50...what's with that???? but I digress...)

Work Phone: Motorola i335 (stop laughing)

they're pushing my company off iDEN and onto CDMA PTT. "The Nextel" penetrates two levels of concrete. meanwhile, my S3 displays the no-smoking/no-signal icon down in the dungeon. Sprint's solution? throw up a couple of AirRaves (seriously)

hope this means LTE will work as well as iDEN does/did.

fiberguy
My views are my own.
Premium
join:2005-05-20
kudos:3
reply to Skippy25

said by Skippy25:

Well..... many printers in a business environment can scan to email. I would say that is a pretty good replacement for the fax system and it pretty much eliminates the use of additional paper.

You took the words out of my mouth. The technology is EASILY implimented yet people still stand by the fax.. sorry, but the fax IS dead. I've used many brother MFC machines that work just as a fax.. but instead of a phone number you enter an email address.. pretty simple. Saves on toner, paper, and any other dial tone expenses.

fiberguy
My views are my own.
Premium
reply to sk1939
Nothing can "guarantee" that the person on the other end of the fax is the intended recipient either.. There is always inherit risk. Not to mention, many of these government and corps that you speak of still use a fax to email gateway anyway. Kinda blows that theory out.

fiberguy
My views are my own.
Premium

1 recommendation

Just shut it down..

Very simple.. the system is done on 6/2013.. then just shut it off! To charge customers $10 a month until then is pure crap on sprint's part. What I visualize when I read this is some corporate exec stomping his feet and throwing a tantrum because he's too impatient to let the system run to term.. "I want it now!!!" kinda like that little girl on Willy Wonka that turned into a blue berry.. I think the $10 fee should be looked into by regulators... these customers have every right to use the system until the time it's shut down.. if they want people off sooner, as others have said, then entice them to leave with promo offers. Otherwise, notify them, do your best to make people aware, and in june of 2013, shut the thing off. You'll be amazed at how fast people call up and switch!

It's pathetic that Sprint would resort to a penalty fee to speed up the shuttering of a network. It's so few dollars compared to their overall revenue that it's not even a cash grab.. it's just being nasty.

They're being a blue berry.

Skippy25

Hazelwood, MO
reply to sk1939

I work for a financial company and I can assure you if faxing was safer than email, at any level, then that would be our required method of communication. Many clients flat out require encrypted email and files as the only method of communications. So either our multi-billion dollar worldwide firmalong with a bunch of other billion dollar companies are setup by a bunch of morons and I am wrong or it is the other way around.

NiteSn0w

join:2010-12-24
reply to itsmeagain
Are you going to move off of iDEN and onto Sprint PTT? Coverage will be much greater than Nextel's iDEN network and if you get PTT phones from Sprint that support 800 MHz ESMR you will have great indoor and rural coverage (within Sprints footprint).

NiteSn0w

join:2010-12-24
reply to faberoptic6

Re: The End is Nigh

They are going to be deploying LTE and CDMA 1xA Voice on 800 MHz ESMR in San Antonio, TX very soon, and I think they may have already started with voice on some towers. CDMA PTT will use CDMA 1xA to communicate so you will probably see better voice and data coverage on Sprint than you did/do on iDEN.