spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2012-11-30 18:21:07: • 911 Centers Not Ready For Mobile App Era [informationweek.com] • Is the Internet changing what we are? [nytimes.com] • Syrian Blackout Puts Exclamation Point on WCIT Conference [broadcastingcable. ..

Duramax08
To The Moon
Premium
join:2008-08-03
San Antonio, TX
Reviews:
·Millenicom

2 recommendations

1 week anniversary!

1 week anniversary this Saturday for my dodge challenger! How the time flys!

--
»mc-buildville.enjin.com/

FFH
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5

said by Duramax08:

1 week anniversary this Saturday for my dodge challenger! How the time flys!

After living with it for a week, do you still like as much as the day you bought it? No buyers regret?

--
A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves money from the public treasury.

Duramax08
To The Moon
Premium
join:2008-08-03
San Antonio, TX

I still like it as the day I bought it. No buyers regret what so ever.
--
»mc-buildville.enjin.com/

rradina

join:2000-08-08
Chesterfield, MO

Aereo

I understand why the networks and cable operators are upset. However, you can rent a DVR, bring it home and record and then watch OTA channels for free. Aereo just keeps the DVR in their data center.

As long as they don't allow the customer to record and watch stations far beyond a reasonable distance from their residence, it seems like residents are just renting a DVR that they remotely control with their computer.

It's not that much different than a sling box, is it?

tshirt
Premium,MVM
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Comcast

I think the retransmission angle has much greater weight then the remote DVR.
It does basically make them like a cableco/satellite/telco tv provider whether the rebroadcast is instant or delayed by nanoseconds or weeks later on demand (not that most of live TV makes sense weeks later) and should subject them to similar rules including must-carry/pay to carry.
The delivery service alone makes no sense without the content, and the content provider/owner/liecensee deserves compansation for use/re-use of the the content.

rradina

Chesterfield, MO
reply to rradina

Would it be different if a New Yorker relocated to Iowa but before leaving, personally leased rack space from an NYC infrastructure provider and installed their own Tivo + sling box?

rradina

Chesterfield, MO
reply to tshirt

Oops -- I meant this reply for you. I ended up relying to myself. Doah!

Would it be different if a New Yorker relocated to Iowa but before leaving, personally leased rack space from an NYC infrastructure provider and installed their own Tivo + sling box?

tshirt
Premium,MVM
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Comcast

If you are no longer in the local market, why do you deserve the local station feed?

Obvisously your no longer of value as a local advertizing target and while you are paying for rackspace and Aereo you are paying nothing to the content owner/creator for their investment in the program.
At some point it will be impossible for the creator to raise funds for the show and it will disappear.

rradina

Chesterfield, MO

Whether or not someone deserves the "local feed" is a different issue.

My post is just an example to provoke thought. However, the example is valid whether I move 100 or 1,000 miles. Whether I lease rack space and buy bandwidth to operate my own equipment or I lease the equipment too as in the case of what Aereo offers, let's debate the difference.

What if someone places a Tivo/SlingBox in a family member's house that's closer to signals that serve the area?

To keep this on track, let's focus the debate on someone who's 50 miles from the metro area that serves them and doesn't want to buy a Tivo for each of the six TVs in their home. They'd rather just pay for HSI and stream video they record at Aereo's infrastructure site to any device in their house (be it TVs, tablets, game consoles, desktops, laptops, etc.)