dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2012-12-03 13:26:25: AT&T today announced that the company has launched LTE service in several new markets: Puerto Rico, Salt Lake City, Reading, Pennsylvania and Albuquerque, New Mexico (hi Heisenberg). ..

IPPlanMan
Holy Cable Modem Batman
join:2000-09-20
Washington, DC

IPPlanMan

AT&T is deploying LTE... kind of....

Compared to Verizon's LTE rollout in the last year (now in 441 cities)... this is a pretty pathetic effort by AT&T ...

»network4g.verizonwireles ··· ographic

Metatron2008
You're it
Premium Member
join:2008-09-02
united state

Metatron2008

Premium Member

lol
en103
join:2011-05-02

en103 to IPPlanMan

to IPPlanMan
Very true... however, I still get 6-12Mbps on 'faux G' on AT&T just about wherever I go, so I don't really care if I have LTE or not.

JigglyWiggly
join:2009-07-12
Pleasanton, CA

JigglyWiggly

Still no LTE in Merced California =/
LTE ping times are too epic en103, I was playing quake live with 40ms ping when moving at 80 MILES per hour. Friend was driving and I was playing quake live.
It was rediculous

I get 20ms to 4.2.2.1 on lte
Expand your moderator at work
travelguy
join:1999-09-03
Bismarck, ND
Asus RT-AC68
Ubiquiti NSM5

travelguy

You'd think...

That AT&T would like to show all that fantastic LTE coverage they have been trumpeting. Unfortunately, when you go to their coverage map, all you see is their misnamed 4G "enhanced HSPA+". I couldn't find LTE coverage shown anywhere on the actual map. Instead, all you get is a list of cities where they may or may not have LTE available and some nice dots next to a city name.
TBBroadband
join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH

TBBroadband to travelguy

to travelguy

Re: You'd think...

At least they make it known you may or may not get it. Unlike VZW and their entire map showing coverage unless you zoom in.

gigahurtz
Premium Member
join:2001-10-20
USA

gigahurtz to travelguy

Premium Member

to travelguy

said by travelguy:

That AT&T would like to show all that fantastic LTE coverage they have been trumpeting. Unfortunately, when you go to their coverage map, all you see is their misnamed 4G "enhanced HSPA+". I couldn't find LTE coverage shown anywhere on the actual map. Instead, all you get is a list of cities where they may or may not have LTE available and some nice dots next to a city name.

It says on the map that you have to zoom in to view LTE coverage areas. If you zoom into those areas you'll see it outlined in dark blue.
TBBroadband
join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH

TBBroadband to gigahurtz

to gigahurtz

at least their up front about it.
travelguy
join:1999-09-03
Bismarck, ND
Asus RT-AC68
Ubiquiti NSM5

travelguy to gigahurtz

to gigahurtz

said by gigahurtz:

It says on the map that you have to zoom in to view LTE coverage areas. If you zoom into those areas you'll see it outlined in dark blue.

You're correct - The map doesn't appear to be updated to reflect today's announcement and I apparently didn't zoom in enough in the other cities I tried. Indianapolis does show 4G LTE coverage.

lordpuffer
Legalize It Joe!
Premium Member
join:2004-09-19
Old Town, ME

lordpuffer

Premium Member

I Wonder If....

The ABQ rollout covers Rio Rancho? It probably does, however I would have to verify that before getting an LTE device.
iansltx
join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX

iansltx to en103

to en103

Re: AT&T is deploying LTE... kind of....

As JigglyWiggly says, latency is significantly better on LTE vs. HSPA+, at least the way AT&T is doing H+ (for T-Mobile latency is comparable to LTE on H+ depending on the area).

Also, I'll compare upload speeds any day of the week between your H+ and my LTE...LTE will win every time. 1.5 Mbps vs. 5+ Mbps.

Mizzat
Will post for thumbs
Premium Member
join:2003-05-03
Atlanta, GA

Mizzat to IPPlanMan

Premium Member

to IPPlanMan

It get easier in one tower towns, rather than the bigger, more populated where there are more towers....
34764170 (banned)
join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned) to iansltx

to iansltx

said by iansltx:

As JigglyWiggly says, latency is significantly better on LTE vs. HSPA+, at least the way AT&T is doing H+ (for T-Mobile latency is comparable to LTE on H+ depending on the area).

Also, I'll compare upload speeds any day of the week between your H+ and my LTE...LTE will win every time. 1.5 Mbps vs. 5+ Mbps.

There is something seriously wrong on the LTE side if you're seeing similar latency vs the HSPA+ network. HSPA+ cannot match LTE for latency.

34764170 (banned) to TBBroadband

to TBBroadband

said by TBBroadband:

At least they make it known you may or may not get it. Unlike VZW and their entire map showing coverage unless you zoom in.

Wow. What a concept. Knowing how to use a map properly.
dplantz
join:2000-08-02
Bradenton, FL

dplantz to lordpuffer

to lordpuffer

Re: I Wonder If....

Hspa+ currently in Rio Rancho. Coverage for LTE should come soon.
iansltx
join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX

iansltx to 34764170

to 34764170

I've seen 22ms on HSPA+ with T-Mobile. Granted, that was to a website in Denver from an aircard in Golden, but I haven't seen LTE latency to local sites below 30ms, though I'm not complaining with 30ms.

MSauk
MSauk
Premium Member
join:2002-01-17
Sandy, UT

MSauk

Premium Member

ATT Map, confusing as possible

Lets make it as confusing as possible plus lets make the blues as close together color wise so that on certain screens they all look the same.

Why can't companies make the difference so you can actually see it, LTE equals RED, "4G" looks Yellow, etc..

lordpuffer
Legalize It Joe!
Premium Member
join:2004-09-19
Old Town, ME

lordpuffer to dplantz

Premium Member

to dplantz

Re: I Wonder If....

I found out that some towers in Rio Rancho, NM have LTE. However, I also found out that the tower that serves my area of Rio Rancho won't have LTE until 9/13.