dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2012-12-04 08:45:13: As the United States government continues its relentless expansion of domestic surveillance capabilities, the latest effort is focused on forcing wireless carriers to retain text message logs for at least two years. For much of the last decade the U. ..

page: 1 · 2 · 3 · next

buzz_4_20
join:2003-09-20
Dover, NH

1 recommendation

buzz_4_20

Wow, I can't see this being abused...

I'm getting that feeling that we're just supposed to be good little workers and never step out of line...

pnh102
Reptiles Are Cuddly And Pretty
Premium Member
join:2002-05-02
Mount Airy, MD

pnh102

Premium Member

Prove It

It is incumbent upon the government to show us even ONE prosecution of a criminal that failed due to not having this information.

nothing00
join:2001-06-10
Centereach, NY

nothing00 to buzz_4_20

to buzz_4_20

Re: Wow, I can't see this being abused...

Don't understand why we everyone isn't required to wear little audio recording devices and GPS trackers that track and record everything.

You know, because not having this "can hinder law enforcement investigations."

LightS
Premium Member
join:2005-12-17
Greenville, TX

LightS

Premium Member

Why?

Anybody else notice AT&T was at the top?

I don't think this is a good idea at all.

cableties
Premium Member
join:2005-01-27

cableties

Premium Member

Burden of Proof...in the SMS

How many execs have given insider info via blackberry or other device and not been caught?

Or texting while driving...if there was cause for other incidents, 90 days is too short.

Or with divorce cases, where spouse was texting and cheating...

I'm surprised this wasn't covered under Sarbanes-Oxley Act...

XANAVirus
Premium Member
join:2012-03-03
Lavalette, WV

XANAVirus to nothing00

Premium Member

to nothing00

So who cares if there is a possibility that this maybe could hinder a law enforcement investigation?

Let them work for their cases, don't hand them data on a platter and expect them to return results.

What ever happened to
A) doing stressful work on the job (i.e. having to stress out over the fact that you're having a hard time gaining results)?

and

B) having to actually do things in order to gather data (for the investigation)?

fuziwuzi
Not born yesterday
Premium Member
join:2005-07-01
Palm Springs, CA

fuziwuzi

Premium Member

China?

Why don't we just let China run the communications (internet, mobile, TV, etc.) for everyone since it seems the US gov't. is hell-bent on turning our services into what China already has.

Twaddle
@sbcglobal.net

Twaddle

Anon

Hello FBI, CIA NSA et al

None of you need my SMS, email or facebook Twitter etc. data so knock it off. It's bad enough that your TSA henchmen practically make me strip down and submit to cavity searches to fly the unfriendly skies of the USA. Get a F#$KING warrant outlining WHY you need my information otherwise get the hell out of my face and my life. We are not Communist China or Syria (yet).
Twaddle

Twaddle to fuziwuzi

Anon

to fuziwuzi

Re: China?

I think we've already been handed over to the same goons who run Chinas telecom.
Terabit
join:2008-12-19

Terabit to nothing00

to nothing00

Bit of a stretch there. The United States has one of the worst organized crime and homicide rates of any developed country. In addition, more and more of the country now resembles a lawless 3rd world country, yet we continue to be paranoid about law enforcement.

As with anything nowadays, I prefer to look to advanced nations that are beating us and examine (learn) how they are doing things. Evidently, 3rd world nations and ourselves are left with a paranoia against law enforcement; with folks in both failing to connect the dots as to why both are crime-ridden.
Wilsdom
join:2009-08-06

Wilsdom to fuziwuzi

to fuziwuzi

Re: China?

China is too sloppy and primitive. The USA must be #1!

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5 to Twaddle

Premium Member

to Twaddle

Re: Hello FBI, CIA NSA et al

said by Twaddle :

None of you need my SMS, email or facebook Twitter etc. data so knock it off. Get a F#$KING warrant outlining WHY you need my information otherwise get the hell out of my face and my life.

The retention law doesn't mean a warrant isn't needed to get the data. It just means that the data WILL BE THERE when a warrant is obtained.
amungus
Premium Member
join:2004-11-26
America

amungus

Premium Member

money for nothing

One more stream of data to fill hard drives with in the upcoming data center in Utah (»www.wired.com/threatleve ··· acenter/)

The heavily fortified $2 billion center should be up and running in September 2013. Flowing through its servers and routers and stored in near-bottomless databases will be all forms of communication, including the complete contents of private emails, cell phone calls, and Google searches, as well as all sorts of personal data trails—parking receipts, travel itineraries, bookstore purchases, and other digital “pocket litter.”

Read that, and understand it. Less than a year from now. Note the author's unequivocal use of the words "all forms of communication." I doubt very much that this is exaggerated.

nothing00
Centereach, NY

1 recommendation

nothing00 to Terabit

to Terabit

Paranoia? Why? Because just because they make up evidence, lie to protect one another, tase and beat people for no reason, go on fishing expeditions (Petraeus is a good example), have (with enthusiastic cooperation of the DA's office) put countless innocent people behind bars, act as revenue offices instead of protecting the public good, review people's phone records and email with no oversight or justification, and...?

Left to their own judgement they'll do terrible things out of expediency and simply because some of them are terrible people. They need laws governing their behavior just as much as the rest of us. In fact, more so because they have much greater authority.

Something about great power and great responsibility should come to mind.
Mr Matt
join:2008-01-29
Eustis, FL

Mr Matt

New technology offeres new opportunity to snoop!

We are back where we were in the 1890's when the police could just enter a home or business and begin snooping around. That was before the requirement that the police obtain a search warrant before entering private property. Then came the telephone when the police began unsupervised monitoring of telephone lines. The police were eventually cut off by laws protecting privacy.

Currently if wiretapping does not find illegal activities there is always the the tip off to the morality monitors by the police that can get victims fired or evicted through public pressure. Gone is freedom of speech. The problem here is that lawmakers lack the knowledge to understand the real issues related to technology. Remember the Internet is a series of Tubes.

Occasionally a brief parting of the clouds occurs and the government lawmakers put police on a short leash. I hope it happens sooner rather than later.

fatmanskinny
Premium Member
join:2004-01-04
Wandering

fatmanskinny

Premium Member

They already retain our text messages.....

Nothing new here. Assume nothing is private if it leaves your mouth or you act it out. Hell, technology may exist to read our minds.
Terabit

Terabit to nothing00

to nothing00

Versus the alternative, where the private sector (individuals), Wall street ,and criminals run amok, without any accountability whatsoever.

Like I pointed out, we have to models in action here. One model, is used by advanced first world nations, where there is rational and logical law enforcement.

Then you have the 3rd world / American model, where there is little government and no proactive law enforcement. The end result of the two approaches, in 2012, speaks for itself.

Our approach has failed miserably at dealing with crime and it's little surprise that more and more of America now coincidentally resembles a crime-ridden 3rd world country - this is reality.

whiteshp
join:2002-03-05
Xenia, OH

whiteshp to nothing00

to nothing00
It's called a cell phone (gps inside). Your wireless provider already tracks your movement patterns to sell the data to advertisers.

NOCTech75
Premium Member
join:2009-06-29
Marietta, GA

NOCTech75 to Terabit

Premium Member

to Terabit
said by Terabit:

Evidently, 3rd world nations and ourselves are left with a paranoia against law enforcement;

Yeah, paranoia... tell that to the folks at »www.innocenceproject.org/

WiseOldBear
Laissez les bons temps rouler!
Premium Member
join:2001-11-25
Litchfield Park, AZ

WiseOldBear

Premium Member

The End Draweth Nigh

Communicators of the world unite, we have nothing to lose but the chains of government snooping. Who shall rid us of these political poltroons?
music4praise
join:2006-02-22
Big Rapids, MI

music4praise to Terabit

to Terabit

What advanced nations are you talking about? And what, specifically not generally, makes them advanced in this case?
Kamus
join:2011-01-27
El Paso, TX

Kamus to FFH5

to FFH5

said by FFH5:

The retention law doesn't mean a warrant isn't needed to get the data.

That's very naive. Besides, what guarantees would you have it's the government tapping into that database anyway?
Not that it would make much of a difference. These days people have no problem letting the world know what color was the dump they just took on Facebook or Twitter. And once that is done it's recorded forever and ever.

ArrayList
DevOps
Premium Member
join:2005-03-19
Mullica Hill, NJ

ArrayList to pnh102

Premium Member

to pnh102

Re: Prove It

it's impossible to prove a negative.

nothing00
Centereach, NY

nothing00 to Terabit

to Terabit

I don't like your alternative. I'm happy to live in a world where I'm afraid of the evil deeds of criminals rather than the evil deeds of authorities.
Terabit

Terabit to music4praise

to music4praise
said by music4praise:

What advanced nations are you talking about? And what, specifically not generally, makes them advanced in this case?

Western Europe, Scandinavian countries, Canada, Japan, Australia, New Zealand etc etc etc.

Their quality of life, modern infrastructure, low crime rates, robust economies, low rates of poverty and so forth make them advanced.

Terabit

Terabit to NOCTech75

to NOCTech75
said by NOCTech75:

Yeah, paranoia... tell that to the folks at »www.innocenceproject.org/

For starters, 96% of those cases on the site occurred prior to the 00's. Forensics have improved rapidly since then, but of course is still not perfect. Really life isn't CSI after all.

Not to mention, if you weigh up the number of cases that go unsolved versus those committed wrongly, it's probably in the 0.000X%.

Look at all of the homicides that go unsolved every single year. Now compare them to advanced cities like London, where Cameras line the streets. London has more people living in a higher density (more chance of crime), than almost every single American city combined. Yet, their homicide rate per capita is a fraction of Chicago.

I remember seeing a guy beaten and robbed during the protests in London. The cameras recorded the incident and the dirt-bag was caught and he was charged.

No chance in hell would he have been caught in most of our dilapidated cities, as there isn't the means there to find and convict them. It's why gangs and organized crime are so rampant, in every single one of our cities.
clone (banned)
join:2000-12-11
Portage, IN

1 recommendation

clone (banned) to Terabit

to Terabit
So, let me get this straight, these countries are more "advanced" than the United States because they have allowed the police state in?

*chuckles at your naivete*

I'd rather have liberty in a hellhole than a utopian police state, thank you very much.
Expand your moderator at work
clone

clone (banned) to FFH5

to FFH5

Anyone who defends this law while supporting the "Defunding of the Federal Bureaucracy" is a hypocrite.

If I've done something wrong, get a warrant, then you can monitor me. No going on fishing expeditions with the last two years of my data, though. If you don't see how that's rife for abuse you are blind.
Expand your moderator at work
page: 1 · 2 · 3 · next