dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2012-12-05 10:30:54: The Communications Workers of America (CWA) is attacking the MetroPCS and T-Mobile merger, insisting that the deal will cost a significant number of American jobs. ..

jseymour
join:2009-12-11
Waterford, MI

jseymour

Hypocrisy At Its Finest

This is the same CWA that insisted T-Mobile being borged by the thing that calls itself "AT&T" these days would create jobs?

Jim
jagged
join:2003-07-01
Boynton Beach, FL

jagged

Re: Hypocrisy At Its Finest

Tmobile is not unionized, never has been probably never will be. Its employees have shut down every attempt at being unionized. So CWA won't have new members therefore bad.
TBBroadband
join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH

TBBroadband

Also generally EU companies and people that work for them won't unionize. I worked for an EU company and the company was AWESOME to work for! Would still be with them if the mgt in the store wasn't so horrible (well managers stealing products) and the DM and other Company officials in the US would do their jobs.
tpkatl
join:2009-11-16
Dacula, GA

1 recommendation

tpkatl to jseymour

to jseymour

Why would anyone believe the CWA?

Nuff said.

verizonlteda
@myvzw.com

verizonlteda to jseymour

Anon

to jseymour

Half the people on this planet is Hypocrisy...

NOCMan
MadMacHatter
Premium Member
join:2004-09-30
Colorado Springs, CO

NOCMan to jseymour

Premium Member

to jseymour
said by jseymour:

This is the same CWA that insisted T-Mobile being borged by the thing that calls itself "AT&T" these days would create jobs?

Jim

Note: I'm not in a Union, and have never been in a Union other than being an American Citizen.

Can you point out any telecom merger that has not resulted in job loss?

Tell you what, you will now work 7 days a week, with a half day off on sunday for religious services, you will work 14 hours a day, no time off or vacation, and if you get hurt on the job, it's your fault and you're fired because of it.

You fail to realize what Unions have bought working Americans and others across the globe. You take it for granted and bash the Unions because someone told you Unions were bad and you go parroting it off to anyone who is just as dumb to listen.

Get a clue, the first part of our Constitution says "We the people".

RiseAbove
Premium Member
join:2004-01-30

RiseAbove

Premium Member

Anybody shocked?

the CWA does whatever helps the CWA and screws over the people. I have worked under the CWA and they are a horrible union with essentially no power. They do nothing to help out employees who have been wronged, I saw this multiple times, and they always back management.

I am all for unions but they have to be there for the people they are representing. The CWA is just a cash grab by a greedy organization.

n2jtx
join:2001-01-13
Glen Head, NY

1 recommendation

n2jtx

Re: Anybody shocked?

said by RiseAbove:

the CWA does whatever helps the CWA and screws over the people. I have worked under the CWA and they are a horrible union with essentially no power. They do nothing to help out employees who have been wronged, I saw this multiple times, and they always back management.

How is this different than any other organization? The union has one major interest; perpetuating itself and its leadership (after all, the last thing they want to do is have to go back to doing the real labor they supposedly represent). And of course they will accept layoffs. Once laid off, a worker is no longer a member of most unions and cannot vote out the leadership that caused them to lose their job.

My father was in a professional union for a long time and the union was never there to help him with a grievance but they were front and center to collect dues and demand he man a picket line.
Angrychair
join:2000-09-20
Jacksonville, FL

Angrychair

Re: Anybody shocked?

said by n2jtx:

My father was in a professional union for a long time and the union was never there to help him with a grievance but they were front and center to collect dues and demand he man a picket line.

Which union?
silbaco
Premium Member
join:2009-08-03
USA

silbaco

Premium Member

Wouldn't doubt it....

Despite coming from the CWA, has consolidation ever resulted in a gain of jobs? Obviously there will be layoffs if this merger goes through. 10,000... doesn't sound that unreasonable. That is just how business works.

kpfx
join:2005-10-28
San Antonio, TX

kpfx

Re: Wouldn't doubt it....

10,000 lost jobs due to the merger? Calling the CWA's math unreliable is an understatement.

MetroPCS only has 3,600 employees while T-Mobile USA claims 36,000 employees....

MetroPCS: »www.sec.gov/Archives/edg ··· d10k.htm
T-Mobile USA: »www.t-mobile.com/Company ··· Overview

Metatron2008
You're it
Premium Member
join:2008-09-02
united state

Metatron2008

Premium Member

Yeah, I would bet closer to 500-2000 jobs lost.

buddahbless
join:2005-03-21
Premium

buddahbless

I actually agree with you the numbers they post are off, I'd assume more like a few hundred to 1-3k the most. and the thing is most of those will probably be outsourced positions held currently by metro pcs, as there subsiding and switching to TMO, not many US employees will probably be let go, they will just be given more work.

NOCMan
MadMacHatter
Premium Member
Colorado Springs, CO

NOCMan to kpfx

Premium Member

to kpfx
Verizon Wireless had 40,000 ish employees after the mega merger that created it. To get to that number they laid off more than 10,000 workers.
brianiscool
join:2000-08-16
Tampa, FL
·Charter

brianiscool

MetroPCS

MetroPCS is ghetto as it comes for a cellular network. Most people they hire are students and people with no work experience. You guys should try waiting in line at one of these places. It is worse than a post office. They hire maybe 2 - 3 people to service 30 - 40 people waiting in line for over an hour. I have gone to two MetroPcs locations and never seen such horrible customer service before in my life.
jc10098
join:2002-04-10

jc10098

Re: MetroPCS

You my friend have never heard of Cricket, where unlimited local calling plans are sold for a dollar per day.
brianiscool
Tampa, FL

brianiscool

Haha, we do not have Cricket here in the South.

battleop
join:2005-09-28

battleop

Cricket is available in most every southern US market.
brianiscool
Tampa, FL

brianiscool

Which cell phone provider do they use?

battleop
join:2005-09-28

battleop

I really don't know what they use where.
jc10098
join:2002-04-10

jc10098 to brianiscool

to brianiscool
I'm pretty sure Cricket is nationwide? Trust me when I say Cricket takes Ghetto to a whole new extreme. A customer that keeps their phone activated for a day and pays their bill is given props for loyalty. I'm sure those individuals comprise a very small base of subscribers.

In the line of work I did, those numbers were disconnected faster than issued. Valuable tip, they can still receive text messages I'm told even if phone is shut off.
unoriginal
Premium Member
join:2000-07-12
San Diego, CA

unoriginal to jc10098

Premium Member

to jc10098
Metro and Cricket have very little overlap in their coverage areas. Which is why I always thought it would be great it they would eventually merge to give us another nationwide provider. But this deal with T-mo pretty much kills that idea.
TBBroadband
Fremont, OH

TBBroadband to jc10098

to jc10098
According to Northcoast PCS (Revol.com) They're buying more of Cricket from LEAP as they did previously in the Midwest. But if anyone things Metro is horrible, wait until you deal with Revol.

NOCTech75
Premium Member
join:2009-06-29
Marietta, GA

NOCTech75

Premium Member

Come on CWA shills

I know you are out there.. refute this, tell us all how it's a complete lie.
TBBroadband
Fremont, OH

TBBroadband

Re: Come on CWA shills

do the math. it was already posted.

ropeguru
Premium Member
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA

ropeguru

Premium Member

Just another...

Justification as to why the unions of today are useless to the actual paying members and should be abolished.
TBBroadband
Fremont, OH

TBBroadband

Re: Just another...

Unless you commit a crime then they are there to protect you.

ropeguru
Premium Member
Mechanicsville, VA

ropeguru

Premium Member

I hope you just forgot the sarcasm tag..

They are only there to keep the money flowing to the union bosses income and lavish life styles.
TBBroadband
Fremont, OH

TBBroadband

sarcasm tag for who? me?

ropeguru
Premium Member
Mechanicsville, VA

ropeguru

Premium Member

Yes, you are the only that has replied to me and the one I replied to..
TBBroadband
Fremont, OH

TBBroadband

It didn't say you replied to me.

And I was being serious. This summer and the first part of Spring. The union has stopped two employers from firing two different employees. Both employers were on different sides of the state. They were NOT fired due to their contract said they could NOT be.

Both employees work for the gov't. Both employees were caught on camera and by the public for animal abuse/neglect. One threw a puppy up against a concrete wall, guy still has his job even though 4 months earlier served jail time for beating up his gf and his gf's mom. Union prevented termination for that.

One killed a full size dog by stabbing him with a arrow type object and then washing him down with a pressure washer- the pressure washer was aimed right for the stab wound.

Both issues made national news.

NOCMan
MadMacHatter
Premium Member
Colorado Springs, CO

NOCMan

Premium Member

I watch it daily as part of my job and never heard about it.

Names or it did not happen.

LightS
Premium Member
join:2005-12-17
Greenville, TX

LightS to ropeguru

Premium Member

to ropeguru
Not all unions.
Kommie2 (banned)
join:2003-05-13
united state

Kommie2 (banned)

CWA sold out to the bossman a long time ago

CWA sold out to the boss man a long time ago

Decertification should be a lot easier for the workers where CWA does nothing.
schmolf4
join:2011-06-23

schmolf4

Unions suck

guessing the unions have no problems putting 18000+ Hostess employees out of work because they refused a slight pay cut contract...

••••
jam_bongo
join:2002-07-17
Toronto, ON

jam_bongo

CWA read a business textbook shocking!

I am a bit suspect on how they got a 10,000 figure but the prevailing conventional wisdom of most mergers is that they are often failures leading to job losses... HP-Compaq, and Sprint-Nextel come to mind
CXM_Splicer
Looking at the bigger picture
Premium Member
join:2011-08-11
NYC

1 edit

CXM_Splicer

Premium Member

Re: CWA read a business textbook shocking!

Yes, usually you only hear the hyped numbers from the 'job-creation' phonies... I guess the union plays both sides of the card.
jam_bongo
join:2002-07-17
Toronto, ON

jam_bongo

Re: CWA read a business textbook shocking!

yeah I always wonder what sauce they're on when they say it creates job... when usually one of the first jobs to go is one of those at the top, can't have two CEOs..

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium Member
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK
Netgear WNDR3700v2
Zoom 5341J

KrK

Premium Member

Here we go again

Every time someone tries to create stronger competition to at&t and Verizon, the CWA comes out saying it's a job killer.

Every time at&t or Verizon try to eliminate competition by absorbing or buying out a competitor, they say it's a Job creator.

The CWA should learn both at&t and Verizon on their own are far better job killers then anything anyone else could ever do.
compton
join:2002-02-08
Brooklyn, NY

compton

Re: Here we go again

said by KrK:

Every time someone tries to create stronger competition to at&t and Verizon, the CWA comes out saying it's a job killer.

Every time at&t or Verizon try to eliminate competition by absorbing or buying out a competitor, they say it's a Job creator.

The CWA should learn both at&t and Verizon on their own are far better job killers then anything anyone else could ever do.

That's because virtually all of CWA due paying members are from AT&T and Verizon. So due to their self interest, they will oppose any competition that could hurt AT&T and Verizon.
tmc8080
join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY

tmc8080

just shut up...

the potential loss of jobs from the att tmobile deal would have been much worse... the cwa just have wasted the last of their credability...