dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2012-12-05 16:23:38: Netflix has struck a massive deal with Disney that will reverse the recent trend of increasing delay windows before new releases are streamed on the service. ..

page: 1 · 2 · next

aaronwt
Premium Member
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA

aaronwt

Premium Member

Unfortunately...

the bulk of the deal doesn't take effect until 2016.

Safemaster
Premium Member
join:2004-01-18
Loxahatchee, FL

Safemaster

Premium Member

Almost there

One step closer to rid of cable sub.

NotTheMama
@verizon.net

NotTheMama to aaronwt

Anon

to aaronwt

Re: Unfortunately...

Netflix has already started adding Disney films for streaming--more than a dozen so far, so waiting till 2016 for exclusive rights on recent and new stuff isn't all that significant. Of course, I won't be surprised if the fee for streaming goes up some either; even so, still a better deal than "cable".

YogiYahooeys
join:2004-08-17
Evansville, IN

YogiYahooeys

I love it!

I'm planning on going home tonight and watching one of the catalog titles they've already added, probably 1 or 2 of The Fox and the Hound, Alice In Wonderland, Rescuers Down Under, The Great Mouse Detective, and Nightmare Before Christmas...
elefante72
join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY

elefante72 to Safemaster

to Safemaster

Re: Almost there

The only problem is the content cost will just be shifted to Netflix. I remember back in the 80's when Harron Cable was $7 a month all in. So now you have your local HSI provider instituting caps, and Netflix raising prices to get content, and you are back at the price that the triple play was before this "freedom" occurred.

TBH, netflix is doing the same thing cable did, bundle.

So now I have to buy a triple play to get some TV, get Amazon, get Redbox, get Netflix. This is a content providers DREAM. Multiple monetization.

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5

Premium Member

said by elefante72:

The only problem is the content cost will just be shifted to Netflix. I remember back in the 80's when Harron Cable was $7 a month all in. So now you have your local HSI provider instituting caps, and Netflix raising prices to get content, and you are back at the price that the triple play was before this "freedom" occurred.

TBH, netflix is doing the same thing cable did, bundle.

So now I have to buy a triple play to get some TV, get Amazon, get Redbox, get Netflix. This is a content providers DREAM. Multiple monetization.

The current news item doesn't lay out that the result will be Netflix charging more than they do now. Monthly subscription costs WILL go up.

ArgMeMatey
join:2001-08-09
Milwaukee, WI

ArgMeMatey

Cappers delight

Meanwhile, AT&T, Time Warner etc. are running the numbers to see where they should set the caps so that Netflix subscribers won't save any money by dropping their pay TV subscriptions.

anon anon
@charter.com

anon anon

Anon

I bet Starz wishes

it made a deal with Netflix last year instead of being greedy. Starz won't last much longer after 2016.
b10010011
Whats a Posting tag?
join:2004-09-07
united state

b10010011

Do people still buy DVD's?

I mean really? Who buys a movie? Unless you have kids, then I could see buying kids movies. But people are going to buy the kids movie regardless of the streaming window. I am not saying that I am not guilty of buying DVD movies and box sets. But it is my own experience that I am going by. I can not remember the last time I watched any of the movies I own. I know people that have shelves and shelves of DVD's that sit there collecting dust.

spewak
R.I.P Dadkins
Premium Member
join:2001-08-07
Elk Grove, CA

spewak

Premium Member

and who is going to pay?

Such an amount, payable yearly, is surely going to equal a price hike.

anon anon
@charter.com

anon anon

Anon

said by spewak:

Such an amount, payable yearly, is surely going to equal a price hike.

So? Do the prices on anything else stay the same?

Jim Kirk
Premium Member
join:2005-12-09

Jim Kirk to FFH5

Premium Member

to FFH5

Prove it.
TheMG
Premium Member
join:2007-09-04
Canada

TheMG

Premium Member

Netflix Canada?

Is this deal only for the US Netflix or does it also apply to the Canadian Netflix?

RockCake
Premium Member
join:2005-07-12
Woodbridge, VA

RockCake

Premium Member

So when...

are the Star Wars movies available?
(the good ones, not the prequels)
corinthos
join:2007-10-09

corinthos

Hopefully it is more than just the film catalog

I'd love to see some of the old series like Aladdin, Little Mermaid, Gargoyles, Goof Troop, and Duck Tales. There are so many that were incomplete or not released at all on dvd.
I'd actually even purchase them if they made them available through digital downloads.

TOPDAWG
Premium Member
join:2005-04-27
Calgary, AB

TOPDAWG

Premium Member

Will itbe HD.

Now the issue how will the video look? when netflix had Disney movies from stars it was all SD and most of the video has bad ghosting going on.
TOPDAWG

TOPDAWG

Premium Member

ok NVM I see the stuff is now in HD that is great.

SpaethCo
Digital Plumber
MVM
join:2001-04-21
Minneapolis, MN

3 recommendations

SpaethCo to Jim Kirk

MVM

to Jim Kirk

said by Jim Kirk:

Prove it.

Netflix has 30 million subscribers, this new venture will cost $350m/year, or about $30m/mo. That's about $1/mo per subscriber in additional expense.

Netflix net profit margin is < 10%, so on an $8/mo streaming account they have less than $0.80 in profit margin.

Unless they raise prices, Netflix will be losing money to offer this content.

Profit margin chart for reference:

anon anon
@charter.com

anon anon

Anon

said by SpaethCo:

said by Jim Kirk:

Prove it.

Netflix has 30 million subscribers, this new venture will cost $350m/year, or about $30m/mo. That's about $1/mo per subscriber in additional expense.

Netflix net profit margin is < 10%, so on an $8/mo streaming account they have less than $0.80 in profit margin.

Unless they raise prices, Netflix will be losing money to offer this content.

Profit margin chart for reference:
[att=1]

You're not taking into the account increased subscriber base because of this deal.
anon anon

anon anon to TOPDAWG

Anon

to TOPDAWG

Re: Will itbe HD.

said by TOPDAWG:

Now the issue how will the video look? when netflix had Disney movies from stars it was all SD and most of the video has bad ghosting going on.

Everyone got on Netflix for not renewing the Starz deal but Starz wanted $300 mil per year and they wanted Netflix to require both a streaming subscription AND a DVD by mail subscription AND they were still only going to offer the movies in SD.

cpsycho
join:2008-06-03
Treadeu Land

cpsycho to SpaethCo

to SpaethCo

They could raise the rates by 10-20 cents and keep all subs no problem. Better then the $10 ish a cable demands.

NotTheMama
@verizon.net

NotTheMama to b10010011

Anon

to b10010011

Re: Do people still buy DVD's?

DVDs: not so much. Blu-ray: absolutely... for the stuff I really like and like to watch more than once a year. Sure, I have hundreds of DVDs that I *don't* pull out very often to watch, but I will on occasion (and I'm no kid). I'll still buy anime I like on DVD if it's on sale (Blu-ray is totally irrelevant for anime as far as I'm concerned). Fortunately, these things aren't mutually exclusive.
NotTheMama

NotTheMama to RockCake

Anon

to RockCake

Re: So when...

Hmmm, Disney just bought 'em right? Maybe they'll show up on Netflix?

The only "good" one is the first one before it got mangled by Lucas. Maybe Disney will "restore" the original print like they've done with their other old "classics" (and then probably "vault" it for a decade or something). Well, I'm not holding my breath.

("It's a trap!")

Sarick
It's Only Logical
Premium Member
join:2003-06-03
USA

Sarick to b10010011

Premium Member

to b10010011

Well, You're forgetting this.

From my understanding.
Disney owns LucasArts, Buena Vista, Pixar, Marvel Comics, Fall Line Studios, Touchstone Pictures, Maramax, Saban Entertainment,The Muppets Studio, ESPN, ABC, A&E and Lifetime. This is only a few of them.

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ca ··· idiaries

If you look at these listings there is a lot more ten KIDS shows under the Disney name. Remember they own Star Wars and Marvel Comics to! These two areas are box office hits across the globe. With Disney I suspect they'll be doing a lot with these franchise by 2016.

Nightshade
Premium Member
join:2002-05-26
Salem, OR

Nightshade to RockCake

Premium Member

to RockCake

Re: So when...

21st Century Fox still owns the distribution rights to the six Star Wars movies so therefore Disney while they may own them per say it does not control the distribution channel. I would think that Netflix would have to garner a separate deal with Fox to distribute the movies on their service.

jseymour
join:2009-12-11
Waterford, MI

jseymour to b10010011

to b10010011

We still occasionally buy DVDs or BDs--when it's a movie one or both of us is confident we'll really, really like and want to watch over and over again, or when we can get them from the "$5 bin" at Walmart or whatever.

In fact: We just bought eight BDs from the $8 bin at Walmart. Five were some of our favourite movies we already had on DVD. At $8 a pop it was worth it to upgrade them. The other three were movies we'd rented, and knew we liked.

Being as it costs $3 or more, plus gas, to rent from the local store, and $4-$5 to rent on-line, $5-$8 for a DVD or BD is a good deal if you know you're going to want to watch it again.

Jim
jseymour

jseymour to spewak

to spewak

Re: and who is going to pay?

I wouldn't have a problem paying a buck or two more per month if the catalogue is significantly improved.

Jim

PaCK Fan
join:2012-01-19
Richmond, VA

PaCK Fan to anon anon

to anon anon

Re: Will itbe HD.

If Disney wants to make some serious cash, just release Song of the South.....
PaCK Fan

PaCK Fan

Disney and Netflix

Maybe Netflix can get Disney to finally release Song of The South.....
Sukunai
Premium Member
join:2008-05-07

Sukunai to TheMG

Premium Member

to TheMG

Re: Netflix Canada?

said by TheMG:

Is this deal only for the US Netflix or does it also apply to the Canadian Netflix?

Isn't relevant. Find something like Unblock us, and watch all of it like the rest of us do. I'm an American when it's convenient
page: 1 · 2 · next