spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2012-12-06 18:57:31: Cablevision has announced that the company will be raising rates for its broadband services just in time to ring in the new year. According to the company, Cablevision will be hiking the price of their broadband tiers by $5 starting January 1. ..

IllIlIlllIll
EliteData
Premium
join:2003-07-06
Hampton Bays, NY
kudos:7

well...

their internet is still a value to me when you compare all the other cable internet providers in the USA with their ridiculous capping and overage policies and speeds that come nothing near Cablevisions.
--
Suffolk County NY Police Feed - »www.scpdny.com
PS3 Gaming Feed - »www.livestream.com/elitedata

mbernste
Boosted
Premium,MVM
join:2001-06-30
Piscataway, NJ

It's still a good deal and inevitable

I agree. It's still a great value and the fact that they don't cap when just abut everyone else does makes it a great service. Also, we all saw this coming with all of the deals that they had to make with CBS, ABC, FOX and Tribune.

Bob4
Account deleted

join:2012-07-22
New Jersey

1 recommendation

This sucks

This sucks.

tmc8080

join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY
Reviews:
·ooma
·Optimum Online
·Verizon FiOS

value

this provides no value to the consumer...
it also justifies the higher prices charged by area competitors such as Verizon AND Time Warner for similar services..

How about boosting the tiers a little with the $5 price hike?

This is probably for subscribers who pay month to month and don't have a price-lock deal.. nevertheless, these are the most vulnerable consumers to lose to the competition in the first place.. not a smart move. So, will $54.95 and $69.90 be of a better value compared to Verizon? no so much.. when you're month to month not in a price lock, you could switch any day you like. The boost plus tier looks less attractive when the cost savings goes down - to $10..

It's tough to justify price increases when incomes aren't rising enough to keep up with it.. as it stands, the number of [VIDEO] cord cutters is rising due to increased cost.

majortom1029

join:2006-10-19
Lindenhurst, NY
kudos:1

hmm

It should be noted that their network got hammered pretty bad by sandy. Techs told me they have a lot of cable that has to get replaced and that in a lot of places its a temporary patch.

I wouldn't be surprised if this is because of all the damage.

axus

join:2001-06-18
Washington, DC
reply to tmc8080

Re: value

This is an oligopoly, like I learned about in high school. Verizon is the "price leader"; as the majority of customers don't see any alternatives, Cablevision can follow them.

CV User

@optonline.net

Best large ISP in the country

That is all.

LaidoffTech

@optonline.net

That's nice!

This only works if they are offering a contracted price. I have inquired about lowering my rates. The wonderful CSRs are oh so not wanting to do that claiming lack of competition in the area so they cannot offer a competitive rate. In other words, I am going to pay $60 more a year for whatever "value" CV is going to provide. Lack of competition is great...for the providers.

ITALIAN926

join:2003-08-16
kudos:2
reply to CV User

Re: Best large ISP in the country

LMAO

Dream on.

PX Eliezer7
Premium
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River
kudos:13
Reviews:
·callwithus
·voip.ms

I have to be grateful to CV....

I have to be grateful to CV for serving my home.

I live in the center of a prosperous Monmouth County NJ town, right near the post office and town hall.

Verizon FiOS wired half of our town, then left. So FiOS is NOT available even though they saturate us with advertising.

And because Verizon's switch is actually NOT near the center of town, we can't even get Verizon DSL (HSI)....

Verizon abandoned us, Cablevision serves us.

I don't like the price hike, but I'm still grateful to them, and they do provide good internet service.

aztr0

join:2007-10-28
Brooklyn, NY

Best ISP I've experienced.

I don't mind the $5. They've been the best ISP I've used.

anon_432343

@107.39.71.x

value of dollar

maybe its also the declining value of the dollar? its fun to blame business for any price hike but i notice lately that much of the stuff i buy from China isn't that cheap anymore either. and cost of food going up, etc. wash dc has been printing money like crazy since 2008 iirc and its got to show up as inflation some time.

p.s. - just wait until the dollar is no longer the world's reserve currency - thats gonna be big time pain.

RARPSL

join:1999-12-08
Suffern, NY
reply to mbernste

Re: It's still a good deal and inevitable

said by mbernste:

I agree. It's still a great value and the fact that they don't cap when just abut everyone else does makes it a great service. Also, we all saw this coming with all of the deals that they had to make with CBS, ABC, FOX and Tribune.

The deals that they made with CBS, ABC, FOX, and Tribune might be a reason for a rate increase IF we we were taking about the VIDEO fees. It has nothing to do with OOL (ie: Internet) Fees.

RARPSL

join:1999-12-08
Suffern, NY
reply to majortom1029

Re: hmm

said by majortom1029:

It should be noted that their network got hammered pretty bad by sandy. Techs told me they have a lot of cable that has to get replaced and that in a lot of places its a temporary patch.

In that case spread the cost across the All 3 Services. If the cost is due to the cable damage, then Video-Only customers are getting a free ride while only those with OOL are getting hit with the Increase. If it is repair cost then add a $5 fee to the bill not to just one service.

Note that I can see the $5 increase as valid due to the fact that the fee has been level for the past 10 years while the service has increased in those 10 years. We now have DOCSIS 3 and 50Mbs for the same fee that we paid for 10Mbs speeds 10 years ago.

kontrol

join:2012-07-10
Hicksville, NY
reply to anon_432343

Re: value of dollar

29.95 for 1 year no caps ... 55 dollars after year still no contract .. First price increase in 10 years for ool service ..

SSidlov
Other Things On My Mind
Premium
join:2000-03-03
Pompton Lakes, NJ

Still not a bad deal (and the only game in my town)

For me this an additional month's charges and unless you upgraded services there's not been any price changes in the OOL portion for a decade. I have 50/8 service and they do 130% since I score regularly between 56-58 mbps. Who else is giving this service without caps, for $60/mo without discounts? How can you complain? I have family that's paying $50 for under 6 and 8 mb with smaller providers in other areas. I use the hotspots they installed all the time.

FIOS isn't available (they lied to everyone about 'full' coverage). Dish is blocked by geography here.
--
»www.Warpstock.org

tmc8080

Brooklyn, NY
Reviews:
·ooma
·Optimum Online
·Verizon FiOS
reply to RARPSL

Re: hmm

said by RARPSL:

said by majortom1029:

In that case spread the cost across the All 3 Services. If the cost is due to the cable damage, then Video-Only customers are getting a free ride while only those with OOL are getting hit with the Increase. If it is repair cost then add a $5 fee to the bill not to just one service.

Note that I can see the $5 increase as valid due to the fact that the fee has been level for the past 10 years while the service has increased in those 10 years. We now have DOCSIS 3 and 50Mbs for the same fee that we paid for 10Mbs speeds 10 years ago.

Depends on your definition.. adjusted for inflation... maybe, actual numbers.. no. Also, the QOS with 10, then 15 megabit service for thousands of customers during some years DROVE development of FIOS uptake rates in NY metro. You also overlook that they were recently caught underserving 15 megabit tiers in a QOS review by private and public sector agencies. My experience w/ the 50 mbit tier's been strong. Only a few days where I felt it wasn't what it should be... but nothing to call C/S and whine about and have them do nothing useful about, except to waste my time.

The 10, then 15mbit tier's been at intro rates of $29.95 for over a decade. Regular price $49.95. Boost has always been ~$15 more. Now that CV is under better scrutiny on their entry level tier, they usually do the righ thing and avoid underserving the DOWNLOAD speeds.. upload still needs some work. I routinely see customers w/ 14-18mbit down and 1.75 upload-- what happened to 2?

Nevertheless, my recommendation still stands.. if you're NOT in a contract/price lock... it's in your best interest to see if Verizon would budge on price any... as the price difference is shrinking in this situation-- that is IF you can get FIOS. My recommendation would be to hike it $5 for all, and boost speeds for all too- then it wouldn't be so bad, IMO (starting w/ those out of price-lock/contract)

mbernste
Boosted
Premium,MVM
join:2001-06-30
Piscataway, NJ
reply to mbernste

Re: It's still a good deal and inevitable

I disagree. They need to increase revenue. It's a lot easier to raise prices on a product offering that hasn't seen an increase in many years and sweep under the rug the tie to higher programming costs and a need to maintain profit margins.

RickNY
Premium
join:2000-11-02
Farmingville, NY
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to tmc8080

Re: value

said by tmc8080:

this provides no value to the consumer...

No value? While the rest of the country pays for modem rental fees, usage caps and speeds that are less, we are now going to pay $49.95 instead of $44.95 for 20/2 service if you are in a family cable TV package. Even with broadband only its $54.95. Get boost plus and you are paying $69 for 50/8 (that is overprovisioned so you get 60 down).

My parents live in Tampa and Brighthouse gives them 10/1 for $51.00 per month.. If they want 20/2, its $70. And that price is for 12 months... We've gone 10 years without a price increase in OOL, and they've moved the entire system over to bonded DOCSIS 3. How do you fail to see value? Just because you're paying $5 more than your already low price?

bobny1

join:2004-09-10
Bronx, NY

But the point is!

the backbone coast of data per megabytes keeps dropping by the minute. Shouldn't that compensate?. It makes no sense to charge more when it actually cost you less to deliver. It is a poor excuse to me!. Every corporation in America is look for an excuse to show their stock holders how valuable they are, even if I means screwing up the ones who support their business. I wonder on which side is the FCC this day!. It shows how monopolized this society has become.

tmc8080

Brooklyn, NY
Reviews:
·ooma
·Optimum Online
·Verizon FiOS
reply to LaidoffTech

Re: That's nice!

said by LaidoffTech :

This only works if they are offering a contracted price. I have inquired about lowering my rates. The wonderful CSRs are oh so not wanting to do that claiming lack of competition in the area so they cannot offer a competitive rate. In other words, I am going to pay $60 more a year for whatever "value" CV is going to provide. Lack of competition is great...for the providers.

Sad fact is, even if Time Warner and RCN would overlap (deploy) all of NYC it wouldn't matter.. it would take something like google for these incumbents to get off their ass and offer more for less.

thender
Screen tycoon
Premium
join:2009-01-01
Brooklyn, NY
kudos:1

Stop complaining, they earned it.

So, at work, I get Verizon DSL. Over $50/mo for a shit 3000/768 connection with 60-150 ms ping times to google.com at any time of the day, closer to 150.

At the second work location, I get time warner. $79 BEFORE all the taxes and bullshit, and 7000/768. Decent ping times, occasional downtime. Business connection.

At home, I have OOL. I get 3-4.8 MBps - megaBYTES per second down, over 3 mbps up regularly, under $50/mo. No downtime in three years.

If they want to raise my bill a tiny bit, they earned it. Their service far surpasses the mediocre trash they compete with here.
--
Macbook Screen Repair

Macbook LCDs for sale.