spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2012-12-07 08:51:12: FCC boss Julius Genachowski has urged FAA boss Michael Huerta to "enable greater use of tablets, e-readers, and other portable devices" during flights. ..

page: 1 · 2 · next

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170
kudos:2

Good, restrict the calls

I can imagine anything much more annoying than being stuck next to some dumbass yapping on a phone.

SHoTTa35

@optonline.net

That's why I hope they enable DATA but no voice services Technically they already have data services on some planes, it just needs to be done better. I don't need 10Mbps, 1-2 will be fine for reading some sites and such.

Side note - Granted if you have data you can always do VoIP but then again latency will probably kill that anyways so yeah.

n2jtx

join:2001-01-13
Glen Head, NY

Huh?

Not sure I am reading this right:

"FCC boss Julius Genachowski has urged FCC boss Michael Huerta"
--
I support the right to keep and arm bears.

Metatron2008
Premium
join:2008-09-02
united state

lol?

Skippy25

join:2000-09-13
Hazelwood, MO
reply to skeechan

Re: Good, restrict the calls

Which is 100% of the reason they wont allow it and I agree 100% with this.

It has been shown through many test that no electronic device will interfere with the safe flight of a plane even if used within 3 feet of said equipment. None of us are allowed within 4 to 6 feet any of this equipment while the plane is in flight.

I don't want to be sitting on a plane next to a person or around a group of people that will be yapping the entire time. It is bad enough when I have to hear it on the other forms of public transportation.

HarryH3
Premium
join:2005-02-21
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Suddenlink
reply to n2jtx

Re: Huh?

Makes about as much sense as the last line of the paragraph:

"Interference concerns for things like tablets have always been dubious, though the rules are also in place to limit injury during from dozens of phones, laptops and tablets during turbulent takeoffs and landings."

WTF? Karl must have been in a hurry when posting this.

felony
guiding you home
Premium
join:1999-12-05
Aurora, CO
reply to n2jtx

said by n2jtx:

Not sure I am reading this right:

"FCC boss Julius Genachowski has urged FCC boss Michael Huerta"

should read FCC boss urges FAA boss (administrator)
--
i control airplanes.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170
reply to Skippy25

Mobile phones are pretty horrible. That is why I wish jammers were legal/licensable so restaurants and movie theaters could use them to keep these dumbasses quiet.

insomniac84

join:2002-01-03
Schererville, IN
reply to skeechan

That is the worst thing to give a shit about. People can yap away anyways to anyone sitting near them.

Twaddle

@sbcglobal.net

Interference

Just got back from a flight on Delta and they announced that "electronic interference" from their prohibited devices MAY cause static in the pilot's headphones. The subject of electronic interference is so questionable it's not even logical.
I can see the safety aspects of stowing phones, tablets, laptops, etc. on take-off and landings and even in violent/turbulent airspace but the majority of time on a cross-country flight is uneventful and if a tablet,
Kindle or Bluetooth headphones cause interference with a plane's flight/navigation systems then they have MUCH bigger problems in safety than ever imagined.
Voice communication is still definitely out of the question as I sure as hell don't want to be cooped up next to some addle-brained idiot yapping on his/her cell phone as well as invading my limited space.

Morac
Cat god

join:2001-08-30
Riverside, NJ
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Skippy25

said by Skippy25:

It has been shown through many test that no electronic device will interfere with the safe flight of a plane even if used within 3 feet of said equipment. None of us are allowed within 4 to 6 feet any of this equipment while the plane is in flight.

That's not entirely true.

MythBusters did an episode about cell phones and plane instruments. They found phones do not interfere with the newer plane instrumentation, but they included an older VOR receiver in the test and certain phones cause interference in that receiver.

They ended up marking the myth as "plausible" because some aircraft may contain the old equipment.

»skeptoid.com/episodes/4014

They later changed their finding to "busted" based on the fact that they didn't test real world conditions.

»dsc.discovery.com/tv-shows/mythb···ents.htm
--
The Comcast Disney Avatar has been retired.

Morac
Cat god

Riverside, NJ
Reviews:
·Comcast

FCC bans in flight cell use. No rule banning electronics

Just to be clear, the ban on cell phone usage in-air is from the FCC, not the FAA.

»www.rtca.org/onlinecart/product.cfm?id=427

That makes it kind of ironic that the FCC is asking the FAA to ease off the restriction of other electronic devices. More so since the FAA isn't even the one that came up with those rules. The airlines did that on their own. As such those "rules" are arbitrary and have no backing.

»skeptoid.com/episodes/4014

The FAA is seeking comments to try to get the later rules changed though:

»www.faa.gov/news/updates/media/P···2012.pdf
--
The Comcast Disney Avatar has been retired.

Morac
Cat god

Riverside, NJ
reply to SHoTTa35

Voice calls, at least those using cell, are banned by the FCC, not the FAA.

JohnInSJ
Premium
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA

you know this means

the terrorists have won...

you can use your kindle during takeoff and landing. Just dear god don't try and clip your fingernails.
--
My place : »www.schettino.us

cdru
Go Colts
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:7

said by JohnInSJ:

Just dear god don't try and clip your fingernails.

That changed a long time ago. You can use nail clippers on an airplane. That doesn't mean that you should however.

TBBroadband

join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·MegaPath
reply to skeechan

If you have problems in a movie theater then you need to take those complaints up with the GMs and owners and tell them you want your money back toss those people out. It should not be up to the gov't to regulate something on private property such as that.

aztr0

join:2007-10-28
Brooklyn, NY
reply to skeechan

As if crying babies aren't bad enough too lol.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170

1 recommendation

reply to TBBroadband

Naw, I just keep my money and stay home.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170
reply to insomniac84

People are phones are annoyingly loud.

fifty nine

join:2002-09-25
Sussex, NJ
reply to skeechan

said by skeechan:

Mobile phones are pretty horrible. That is why I wish jammers were legal/licensable so restaurants and movie theaters could use them to keep these dumbasses quiet.

They are, aren't they? I would so buy or build one in a heartbeat but I am afraid of the $11,000 fine and losing my FCC licenses to boot. Not worth it. Damn wireless industry has the right lobbyists to protect their cash cow.

fifty nine

Sussex, NJ
reply to TBBroadband

said by TBBroadband:

If you have problems in a movie theater then you need to take those complaints up with the GMs and owners and tell them you want your money back toss those people out. It should not be up to the gov't to regulate something on private property such as that.

Haven't been to a theater in years, don't plan on going back if I'm paying for it. I do get free movies on the company dime from time to time (it is their product after all) but movie theaters are for the birds. Too many cell phones, rude people, dirty, sticky floors and cramped up seating.

fifty nine

Sussex, NJ
reply to Morac

Well obviously I'm not gonna use my iPhone when flying say a 1948 swift but in a modern 747 it should be fine.

fifty nine

Sussex, NJ
reply to insomniac84

said by insomniac84:

That is the worst thing to give a shit about. People can yap away anyways to anyone sitting near them.

I bet you are one of those annoying people?

meowmeow

join:2003-07-26
Helena, MT
reply to skeechan

Dude, you're nuts. I REALLY want to be prevented from calling emergency services in a hostage situation. Shooting at a cinema in Colorado this summer. Enough said.

fenix_jn

join:2006-12-28
Miami, FL
reply to skeechan

What about emergencies? I am pretty sure the owner of such device would be in a lot of trouble if emergency services could not be contacted because they had their jammer running.

bn1221

join:2009-04-29
Cortland, NY
reply to Skippy25

Show me that proof. cells phones leak into other EM bands than just the voice and data ones.

And, lets have the damn airline employee stop using their Ipads during takeoff and landing if we want to be fair about it.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170
reply to meowmeow

LOL, yeah, we need to allow everyone to talk in the movie theater because of insane masked gunmen may show up and no one outside the theater doors hear the gunshots. Meanwhile you act as if the theater itself doesn't have a phone.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170
reply to fenix_jn

What about them? Every one of these establishments has wireline phones. If there is an emergency, guess what...you can make a call.

Morac
Cat god

Riverside, NJ

1 edit

Unless of course there's an armed guy between you and the landline phone (assuming the guy didn't cut the line).

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170
Reviews:
·Clear Wireless
·Cox HSI
·Verizon FiOS

2 edits

Assuming everyone in the lobby is deaf, the planets aligned, tides high and dogs and cats live together. Let's take our chances and all have a nice tall glass of STFU during the movie and make sure those Crayon eaters with zero consideration for anyone else are compelled to do the same. Better yet, let law abiding people CC as when seconds count, the police are just minutes away.