spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2012-12-07 12:35:25: "If there is demand for [1 Gbps] service we will provide it," Time Warner Cable chief operating officer Rob Marcus told attendees of a conference this week while discussing Google Fiber. ..

prev page · 1 · 2
tmc8080

join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY
Reviews:
·ooma
·Optimum Online
·Verizon FiOS

turn the argument around

what we see is slacking demand for higher prices and capped services in addition to video and other service fee hikes.

time warner doesn't even deploy residential fiber in NYC of all places.. and if they aren't doing it there.. then there isn't a snowballs' chance (in July) they'll offer it in the middle of KS, and MO. deploy a $350 million dollar FTTP or docsis 4 network for 400k customers which aren't in the densest part of their network?!? crazy talk.

what you've seen on the Enthusiast side of things (aka a forum such as this) is that consumers want much faster broadband at cheaper prices.. not usage based billing only the greediest corporations in the country would like.. and make the list of commodities people love to hate to pay for such as gasoline, printer ink, etc--- because of the high price for a huge quantity of product.

for example it probably costs 25 cents per gallon for a the companies that make eyedrops which sell it in 4-12ml bottles for $5 - $18 at retail. Also, ever since the early 2000s more and more products & companies making/serving them are chomping at the bit to join them.

Re: turn the argument around

If there is a company more messed up in multiple ways than Google, that company would be Time Warner.

Time Warner has long enjoyed monopoly control of its markets. Government given payoff schemes where the choices typically for bandwidth are Time Warner and the incumbent also monopoly telephone company.

Time Warner has been in bed with the telcos for years as the telcos disinvest in copper line services and keep people slowing dragging along on very old DSL technology in much of the United States. Time Warner offers more, but on a network that is highly problematic (poor routing, tons of QoS fussing, oversaturated points in many neighborhoods, etc.).

While Time Warner is cable of outperforming DSL, in many experiences it does not, especially during any peak times. Reading the volumes of reviews about Time Warner, it is clear coast to coast that many folks are less than pleased with Time Warner or its duopoly telco cohorts.

As for Google, mind you for that big fat pipe, Google is going to do all sorts of stuff to you. Like with all other Google products, you are the product. Expect misappropriation of your activities, privacy invasions, strange reuse of your data, etc.

Customer service and Google? I challenge anyone to state what Google product provides service. Google Apps? Supposedly. Maybe if you are a high spending ad account. Google's lack of ANY customer service is legendary. Do we forget how they stiffed early adopters of their original Nexus and what a customer service failure that way?

There is no way to offer 1Gbps connections at $70 and do so with an honest and profitable business model based on selling bandwidth. Even with overselling, impossible.

Go price a 1Gbps connection from the cheapest datacenters and directly from say Cogent. $1k is the minimum, perhaps $750 if you are in some loop of special folks or promo or large commit. This is a cost of 10x the revenue.

Do we think enabling Google to destroy even the much disliked Time Warner is a good thing? Time Warner provides probably quite a few jobs in Kansas City. Google crushing them there will lead to many layoffs. Google on the otherhand is notorious for large government funded projects that boast big numbers but yield few jobs. Google's US data centers for all their 100's of millions of investment each, are operated in the locality by less than 50 people, some even less.
Kamus

join:2011-01-27
El Paso, TX

Time Warner doesn't get it.

It doesn't matter if the demand is there or not. If the technology is within reach, we'll get it.
This is an information technology, there are no drawbacks to it. It's cheaper and faster.
And once everyone starts using it, new ways of using this speed will become available.

s0mething

@sky.com

and the weak shall tremble and flee

FROM THE MIGHT OF THE MIGHTY GOOGLE

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium
join:2004-06-21
kudos:2

I want 1Gbps

When can I get 1Gbps ?
Answer:
85 to 100 years from now.

Current standard speed is 10mbps
That is like 1% of 1000mbps

by the time the US has 1gbps
a lot of other countries will have 10tbps

elios

join:2005-11-15
Springfield, MO

Re: I want 1Gbps

if ever the US is one its way to becoming a 3rd world country in 80 to 100 years if that long
if things dont change any way i dont think the US will ever see wide spread 1Gbps res connections let a long 100Mbps up and down in the next 50 years

NOCMan
MacChatter
Premium
join:2004-09-30
Colorado Springs, CO

Build it and they will buy it.

Since TW says there's no demand, it must mean there is demand for it. Broadband speed is the greatest enabler of new applications, but certain interests are interested in keeping the pipes as small as possible to prevent their broadband customers from seeking out alternative Television sources.

If the government built out the internet with all the taxes and let everyone compete for customers over it, we would of been a lot better off. Once the telco's were allowed to kill off nearly every mom and pop ISP in the 90's, innovation has crawled compared to how things improved during the dialup days.
--
Ski News - Ski Colorado Blog
Web Hosting - www.FrontRangeHosting.com

redxii
Premium,Mod
join:2001-02-26
Sherwood, MI

I'd be happy with 3Mbps..

.. but I'd need at least $10,000 to get it from the cable company...
evoxllx

join:2007-06-07
Winter Park, FL

jokesters

quote:
"If there is, we will provide it. Our infrastructure has the ability to provide much faster speeds today. We're prepared to compete head to head with Google."
Considering many of TWC's transit/peering points already run at/near capacity with their current line-ups, along with many of their nodes running at/near capacity, I somehow doubt this statement.

join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON

Re: jokesters

said by evoxllx:

quote:
"If there is, we will provide it. Our infrastructure has the ability to provide much faster speeds today. We're prepared to compete head to head with Google."
Considering many of TWC's transit/peering points already run at/near capacity with their current line-ups, along with many of their nodes running at/near capacity, I somehow doubt this statement.

It's the usual lies and bullshit. Claim they can compete when they really can't. But there are enough sheep that buy this nonsense.