dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2012-12-10 18:40:05: A new report by industry trade group TechNet (pdf) says that Washington, Massachusetts and Delaware are the top three broadband states in the nation. ..

silbaco
Premium Member
join:2009-08-03
USA

1 recommendation

silbaco

Premium Member

jobs...

In what way do the number of IT and "app development" jobs have an impact on broadband ranking? It sounds like a scheme to skew results in favor of those states that have crappy infrastructure and damage the results for states who actually care or have competition.

Have a high number of ftth deployments in your state? Too bad! You didn't develop angry birds. Down the charts you go!
NoHereNoMo
join:2012-12-06

1 recommendation

NoHereNoMo

We bad!

Do I [ever] really need to keep reading after I encounter the words "by industry trade group"?

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

1 edit

FFH5 to silbaco

Premium Member

to silbaco

Re: jobs...

said by silbaco:

In what way do the number of IT and "app development" jobs have an impact on broadband ranking? It sounds like a scheme to skew results in favor of those states that have crappy infrastructure and damage the results for states who actually care or have competition.

Have a high number of ftth deployments in your state? Too bad! You didn't develop angry birds. Down the charts you go!

I think the ranking they are going after is those states that actually USE the broadband infrastructure to good economic effect. It may not be the ranking you care about, but it is a legit way of ranking broadband, since the people who keep pushing faster broadband ALWAYS use the reason that it creates jobs and an improved economy. Well this ranking tries to quantify that reasoning.

States are actively pursuing ways to use broadband to promote economic development, build strong communities, improve delivery of government services, and upgrade educational systems. The ingredients for meeting those goals are fast and ubiquitous broadband networks, a population of online users, and an economic structure that helps drive broadband innovation and investment in new broadband uses.

FFH5

FFH5

Premium Member

Here is a ranking of the 50 states and their index #'s

Where does your state fall in the rankings. And do you agree or disagree with the ranking?
Beans5
join:2005-07-16
united state

Beans5

#3 on the list. Delaware is good for speed and connection, that I know of, but you need not know of dele...where?
elray
join:2000-12-16
Santa Monica, CA

elray

Broadband is shown to create jobs...

In what country?

FFH5
Premium Member
Tavistock NJ

FFH5

Premium Member

said by elray:

In what country?

That is the theory and what this study was trying to evaluate. Did their methods validate that or not. I guess you will have to read the whole PDF file to determine if their methods are valid.
silbaco
Premium Member
join:2009-08-03
USA

1 recommendation

silbaco to FFH5

Premium Member

to FFH5

Perhaps, but much of the work for telecom, IT, and even developers is going to be done on business class connections that are not really part of these results. And I can't think of any of these jobs that require speeds in excess of 10mbps at home to do their work. Faster speeds may be nicer, but not necessarily necessary. Heck, most people can do their work on a 5mbps connection. It just isn't ideal.
silbaco

silbaco to FFH5

Premium Member

to FFH5

Re: Here is a ranking of the 50 states and their index #'s

#34. Going to have to say... not accurate. Broadband connections are growing quite rapidly as are IT jobs. But they to have little to nothing to do with each other. So we don't have a major presence of major corporations. Who cares.

FFH5
Premium Member
Tavistock NJ

FFH5 to silbaco

Premium Member

to silbaco

said by silbaco:

Perhaps, but much of the work for telecom, IT, and even developers is going to be done on business class connections that are not really part of these results. And I can't think of any of these jobs that require speeds in excess of 10mbps at home to do their work. Faster speeds may be nicer, but not necessarily necessary. Heck, most people can do their work on a 5mbps connection. It just isn't ideal.

And there is the chicken or egg phenomenon, which comes 1st? Does a state with a lot of high tech jobs already, lead to a demand for high speed broadband expansion? Or does a state with a lot of high speed broadband deployment, turn in to a state with a lot of high tech employment?
NoHereNoMo
join:2012-12-06

NoHereNoMo to elray

to elray

Re: Broadband is shown to create jobs...

said by elray:

In what country?

In the one(s) hosting the site(s) you visit using your brand-spanking new broadband connection.

OSUGoose
join:2007-12-27
Columbus, OH
Apple AirPort Extreme (2013)

OSUGoose to FFH5

to FFH5

My first reaction: "Wholey Shit"

Ohio is 39th

Not surprising considering how many different players there are here that huddle in their respective territories. Comcast around Cleveland, Cox around Toledo, TWC in patches around the state. AT&T the primary ILEC, Verizon sold off their lines to Frontier. And CenturyLink & Windstream have some rual patches.

I'm sure there are some smaller players I'm passing over but that just makes the point even more of the hodge podge this state is.
tmc8080
join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY

tmc8080

stats

these stats are meaningless to the consumer/worker.. if you looked at deployment, availability, speeds and prices.. you'd see totally different rankings. tech infrastructure in and of itself isn't an indicator of a successful job market. low cost of living, low taxes and high wages are indictors of success. what you have in this list are a bunch of mediocrity/and or failures at the top of the list. the USA doesn't have much to be proud of in job growth and support of the economy many aspects of innovation in technology are in a downturn/cycle.

LightS
Premium Member
join:2005-12-17
Greenville, TX

LightS to FFH5

Premium Member

to FFH5

No, lol. Too many large companies in Texas & countless jobs..