dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2012-12-12 08:46:53: Netflix has once again ranked the best ISPs for streaming content. According to this Netflix blog post, the company's rankings come from 30 million members viewing over 1 billion hours of Netflix each month. ..

page: 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · next

grydlok
join:2004-01-06
Richmond, VA

grydlok

that was fast

Google making an impact already
brianiscool
join:2000-08-16
Tampa, FL

brianiscool

Google

I see they plan is going to fail. This is just a publicity stunt. They are doing everything at a loss.

ArrayList
DevOps
Premium Member
join:2005-03-19
Mullica Hill, NJ

1 recommendation

ArrayList to grydlok

Premium Member

to grydlok

Re: that was fast

it doesn't take much.
NoHereNoMo
join:2012-12-06

NoHereNoMo

So...

Netflix "tops out" at about 2.5?

Eagles1221
join:2009-04-29
Vincentown, NJ

Eagles1221

Frontier

Must be the fiber Frontier people and the Rochester fed people skewing the results. My clients can't get a solid 1 mbit on the 3-6 mbit lines they have now.
Gami00
join:2010-03-11
Mississauga, ON

Gami00 to brianiscool

to brianiscool

Re: Google

said by brianiscool:

I see they plan is going to fail. This is just a publicity stunt. They are doing everything at a loss.

are you sure you can see it? you're probably not even looking at the same thing google is looking at.

Anon23
@vzbi.com

Anon23 to NoHereNoMo

Anon

to NoHereNoMo

Re: So...

megaBYTES

ilikeme
Premium Member
join:2002-08-27
Stafford, TX

ilikeme

Premium Member

Great of FIOS, sucks on U-Verse

I have FIOS near Dallas and U-Verse in Houston. Netflix works great on the FIOS connection, but takes a lot longer to load and buffers more on the U-Verse connection (12Mbps.) We are considering dumping U-Verse completely (already dumped the TV for DirecTV a few months ago) and switching the internet and phone back to Comcast.
Crusty
join:2008-11-11
Sanger, TX

1 edit

Crusty

@CTL

Ummmm...CenturyLink should be rated further down with the wireless providers. Avg MBPS of 1.69?? No way with the DSL I've had for eight years.

Heck, my LTE (ATT) on my S3 is a minimum of twice as fast and sometimes 5 times as fast as my CTL DSL!!

scrummie02
Bentley
Premium Member
join:2004-04-16
Arlington, VA

scrummie02

Premium Member

Comcast is decent

I have a workplace account the and connection is solid. I stream netflix and HBOGO without issue and that is while downloading an 4 gig .IMG file via my MS Technet subscription.

I'm moving to a new place that has Fios though, can't wait.

AnonFTW
@reliablehosting.com

AnonFTW

Anon

Sad ...

Pretty sad that DSL is rated slightly above 3G mobile. Wow.

SuperJudge
Raiden Wins
Premium Member
join:2002-11-14
Atlanta, GA

SuperJudge

Premium Member

Just switched

I just dumped my AT&T account for Mediacom, and had no idea Netflix would work so well.

Not sure if there's a reason for it all, but the contrast between AT&T and Mediacom definitely seems accurate.
NoHereNoMo

NoHereNoMo to Anon23

to Anon23

Actually, no, "MBPS" is notation for 'megabits per second' (presuming Netflix is using it correctly--can one ever really presume that of Netflix?). Supposedly, they're referring to speed, not throughput.
trackdrew
join:2008-08-28
Columbia, MD

trackdrew

Mbps = "mega bits per second"
MBps = "mega bytes per second"

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Da ··· :_b_vs_B
NoHereNoMo

NoHereNoMo

Netflix capitalized all of the letters (which is, basically, "wrong"). Also, 'mbps' is correct, not 'Mbps', for megabits per second (the 'm' representing '1,000' and not '1024'--speeds are always in decimal, not binary).
silbaco
Premium Member
join:2009-08-03
USA

silbaco

Premium Member

No Google Fiber

I am not going to lie, I don't think Google Fiber should be on this chart. It is not a big enough ISP at this time. They are only offered in 1 city, and are not even done hooking up that city. If they are going to include Google, they should include the dozens of other local/regional ISPs. Sonic.net for example.

Including Google Fiber just seems like a publicity stunt for faster internet.

Rangersfan
@sbcglobal.net

Rangersfan

Anon

I agree. Google Fiber just recently went live. How much data could Netflix have on this service, and how many customers in KC are actually live? Seems rather odd.

bbeesley
join:2003-08-07
Richardson, TX

1 recommendation

bbeesley

Doesn't seem to be a significant difference

The variance between what Karl classifies as delivering a "a fairly poor streaming experience" and the top two FTTH players is only about a half a meg per second.

I don't find that compelling - if the table showed that the difference between FTTH and DOCSIS or DSL was 2x and several megabits per second that would seem interesting.

I am pretty sure Netflix can deliver a pretty consistent user experience to a customer whether they get 2.06Mbs (Suddenlink DSL) or 2.5Mbs (Google FTTH)

At best, this ranking of the top 14 listed is anecdotal in terms of subscriber experience for the product.
silbaco
Premium Member
USA

silbaco to NoHereNoMo

Premium Member

to NoHereNoMo

Cisco uses Mbps over mbps. Therefore that is more or less the industry standard, regardless of what is technically correct.
cooperaaaron
join:2004-04-10
Joliet, IL

cooperaaaron

I don't care....

Godd@m!t, give me some of that Google Fiber!!!
Cobra11M
join:2010-12-23
Mineral Wells, TX

Cobra11M

yeah

suddenlink my own isp.. needs to be at bottom for their email prob.. and over charging scheme!

keithps
Premium Member
join:2002-06-26
Soddy Daisy, TN

keithps to grydlok

Premium Member

to grydlok

Re: that was fast

Too bad my ISP must've been too small (40,000 subs) for them to rank. Google Fiber is only on there because of publicity.
PastTense
join:2011-07-06
united state

PastTense

Karl's Chart is Incomplete

He only lists 14 ISPs, while there are 21 listed in the blog.

MxxCon
join:1999-11-19
Brooklyn, NY

MxxCon to Gami00

to Gami00

Re: Google

brianiscool probably google searched that.
silbaco
Premium Member
USA

silbaco to PastTense

Premium Member

to PastTense

Re: Karl's Chart is Incomplete

He cut out the mobile's.

MxxCon
join:1999-11-19
Brooklyn, NY
ARRIS TM822
Actiontec MI424WR Rev. I

MxxCon to Anon23

to Anon23

if it's megabytes, then those numbers still don't make much sense.
google fiber's connection should still be much faster than that.
and Cablevision, for example, doesn't have enough "Boost(+)" or "Ultra" customers to weight regular 15/2 numbers so much higher to get 2.15megabytes/sec.
NoHereNoMo

1 edit

NoHereNoMo to silbaco

to silbaco
That's like saying the hard drive manufacturers are "correct" to use GB to represent 1 billion bytes. It's not really correct, but they all do it, and we all know what they mean. A gigabyte is 1 billion bytes (because it's a metric/decimal term, though TBH it's quite acceptable for one to use it when "spelling out" GB--many do, but if you're going to spell it out and mean binary then you should use GigaByte instead->); but a GB is not (because it's binary notation). That's what "notation" is all about--conveying accurately what is meant. Thanks, but I'll continue to always use correct and proper notation regardless of what any vendor or the ISO (or Netflix) says.

Edit: I should point out, I suppose, that it's fairly irrelevant whether the first letter is capitalized when you're following it with 'bps'--which always means 'bits per second'. So whether it's 'Mbps' or 'mbps', the 'm'/'M' still refers to a decimal value (back to that whole comm. speeds always being decimal thing).

Grothendieck
Premium Member
join:2002-07-28
Miami, FL

1 recommendation

Grothendieck to NoHereNoMo

Premium Member

to NoHereNoMo
said by NoHereNoMo:

I believe everyone that replied to you didn't understand your point.

From the chart you can see, for example, Frontier at 1.49 and from this you can deduce that the figures are in Mbps, as in megabits. If the figures were to be in MBps then Frontier would be delivering on average 12 Mbps and I'm assuming this is not the case.

So this figures are in Mbps and one suddenly realizes how low they are. The fact that Google Fiber and FIOS are at 2.55 and 2.19 respectively, tells you that Netflix is the one bottlenecking with their upload. There's no doubt Google Fiber and FIOS could download faster than 2.55 and 2.19 megabits per second IF the server (Netflix) allowed it.

And that's what I think you meant by your post: that Netflix is the one that seems to top out at 2.5
elefante72
join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY

elefante72 to bbeesley

to bbeesley

Re: Doesn't seem to be a significant difference

POW...You are correct sir.

The point is you don't need to have 1000Mbps to watch a 2.5 Mbps stream. Most people chronically overpay for internet and haven't a clue for what they are paying for. Some people think that a 15 Mbps cable modem connection has more latency than an 85 Mbps connection. Answer: They are the same (assuming congestion isn't a problem). Biggest folly, gamers. I read that mistake at least once a day in forums. Cable, DSL, and FTTH are all conditional access mediums (even though Verizon LIES about this constantly). Latency increases/decreases with the base technology not the speed tiers (for instance latency on MoCA higher than Ethernet into my GPON).

What does a "faster" speed get you, faster downloads (steam, etc). Now if someone wants to pay, let them. I'm democratic.

So take TW 15/1 "standard tier" This should be able to stream *5* hidef streams simultaneously.

The ONLY killer w/ cable is upstream (My fios 25/25 no problem), and this is for cloud apps, video conferencing, etc... and of course people w/ D2 cable modems sucking up a channel...

So even a POS DSL line that can get 3 Mbps can stream "almost" 1 hidef stream, and netflix will adapt if the line is sucking wind.

So while the "uncapped" nature of Google is alluring and so is the price, keep it coming....but in theory 5-7 Mbps will get you your youtube, and netflix humming at the same time, while surfing... For some, that isn't enough but for 80% more of America it's good.
34764170 (banned)
join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned) to NoHereNoMo

to NoHereNoMo

said by NoHereNoMo:

It says average speed, not peak. The quoted comment also goes on to clearly indicate average speeds are way way below peak speeds. So users streaming HD content would definitely be quite a bit higher than that.
page: 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · next