spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2012-12-12 08:46:53: Netflix has once again ranked the best ISPs for streaming content. According to this Netflix blog post, the company's rankings come from 30 million members viewing over 1 billion hours of Netflix each month. ..

prev page · 1 · 2

Cheese
Premium
join:2003-10-26
Naples, FL
kudos:1

Er...

Wasn't this a yesterday article? It says 37 min ago?

tshirt
Premium,MVM
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:5

Re: Er...

ReRun...
It's one of Karl's favorites, so he's moved it up to today.
by Friday it should have hundreds of comments.

Cheese
Premium
join:2003-10-26
Naples, FL
kudos:1

Re: Er...

Blogger
Jedi Poster
Premium
join:2012-10-18
Reviews:
·Champion Broadba..

Be gentle with me.

My title is linked to my ceaselessness and apparent ignorance on the criteria of "Best."

In my experience with Netflix I find that a download connection from whoever my provider is that is at least about 5 MB insures the maximum quality picture. In fact I would not be surprised to learn that a download of 3 MB would be pretty close to maximum based upon my subjective experience.

So I don't get it why all these fiber or any other high speed connection makes any difference to the user in enjoying Netflix video streaming of movies. How can 50 Mb down be any better than 5 Mb down in quality? (Doesn't Netflix claim 1.5 will do you good? And a bit faster for HD.)

So please someone enlighten or educate me! But be gentle.
Stanum503
Premium
join:2008-09-04
Watertown, NY

Verizon DSL

I have Verizon DSL 3Mbps - actual download speed around 2.75Mbps, and usually get the HD stream when it's available. The initial buffer does take 60 - 90 seconds, and rarely re-buffers during playback. The only problem is I can't watch anything if there's a thunderstorm within 30 miles of me .
Slipen

join:2010-04-18
Cairo, GA
Reviews:
·Windstream

WOW

HA HA Windstream sucking at this also, not a surprise.

Most people with Windstream have already canceled Netflix and went back to DVDs, streaming is a joke on their excuse for broadband. You have customers paying for 3mbps and getting 1-2% of what they pay for.
sedwards

join:2011-04-18
Fallbrook, CA

streaming is stupid, trickle is smart

The interstate highway system was not designed for everybody in America to drive from 7pm to 11pm, at the same time, and in the fast lane. Neither was the Internet.

If your 'streamer box' had a couple of GB of flash (<$1), it could be 'trickling' content from your queue right now and be ready to watch 'buffer free' when you get home.

Mom and Pop don't care mega-bits from mega-beans, they just want an evening-full of content with no muss or fuss.

NotTheMama
What Would Earl Do?

join:2012-12-06

Re: streaming is stupid, trickle is smart

Yeah, actually it was designed to be used by everyone connected to it on a 24/7/365 basis at the fastest speed technically possible... and then came the caps from ISPs... and then came Google Fiber to show 'em how much better a plain, old network works compared to the typically managed-to-death ISP network.

"Trickling"? aka p2p? or maybe just dial-up? (meh, fine by me, but I think it's one of those "works in theory" things)
--
"...but ya doesn't hasta call me Johnson!"

join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON

said by NotTheMama:

Yeah, actually it was designed to be used by everyone connected to it on a 24/7/365 basis at the fastest speed technically possible... and then came the caps from ISPs... and then came Google Fiber to show 'em how much better a plain, old network works compared to the typically managed-to-death ISP network.

With the distributed model of CDNs and the immense amount of bandwidth they have as well as the caching appliances Netflix (and Google - YouTube) provide to providers they can scale the streaming platforms fine. The real issue is at the edge where ISPs all too frequently want to oversell connections as well as the super fast connections and then not properly upgrade the network segments, as in for example the cable nodes which in turn are connected to the CMTS's to adequately handle the speed tiers they are selling. When they do complete upgrades its back to selling even faster speed tiers and then in no time the nodes are congested again. And by properly I mean monitoring the network and initiating upgrades when they see the segments hitting 70% - 75% of peak capacity so that that there is enough time between initiating the upgrades and completing them, not waiting until its at 90% or greater and customers are complaining.
sedwards

join:2011-04-18
Fallbrook, CA
I disagree with your opinion on the original design, but it doesn't matter.

A dollars worth of flash would solve all of the 'user experience' headaches regardless of the source of the problem.

NotTheMama
What Would Earl Do?

join:2012-12-06

Well, back then "everyone" wasn't all that many and the technically fastest speeds weren't that high. Now, "everyone" is, well, almost everyone; and while we are speeding along ever faster, not even Google Fiber is the fastest possible (though certainly fast enough for it to be used a the model [in this country]). Yes, I was being a little tongue in cheek there--sorry. Still, if every ISP followed Google's example (or should I say "experiment"), then everyone would be happier with their connections (and the ISPs could still make out like bandits for the most part). Plus, as far as content providers go, I think streaming is more about control than efficiency or "user experience". They just want you to be happy enough to continuing paying them for their service.
--
"...but ya doesn't hasta call me Johnson!"
semaj81

join:2002-08-12
Marietta, OH

Suddenlink in the top 10?

Wow.. Suddenlink made the top 10!! Interesting.. I guess they didn't take into concideration the customer experience with the ISP?