spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2012-12-12 15:00:07: Google Chairman Eric Schmidt this week spoke at The New York Times Dealbook Conference, where he insisted that Google Fiber "isn't just an experiment, it's a real business and we're trying to decide where to expand next. ..

page: 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · next

TBBroadband

join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH

Cities?

Only TWO cities have given Google what they wanted. Those cities will be the one footing this bill for YEARS to come after Google sells the network off.

And Schmidt may claim its a real business but in the end, he'll do what his shareholders and investors what. ROI!

No company keeps offering a product that doesn't make any money.

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast

Bell System

AT&T/Bell System wired the nation for telephone, so it is possible for Google to wire the nation for Internet. The sticking point is the political climate (subsidies, USF, etc).

I am sure if Bell Labs was still around, they'd figure out a way to deliver 1 GBPS over a copper telephone line. I was not around during the monopoly years (I was 2 months old when they broke up the phone company) but it seems the incumbent ISPs are behaving like the old AT&T/Bell System in terms of control. The Bell divestiture lead to the dirt cheap telephone service we have today and breaking up big cable companies would do the same for broadband.

bbeesley
VIP
join:2003-08-07
Richardson, TX
kudos:5

2 recommendations

said by IowaCowboy:

AT&T/Bell System wired the nation for telephone, so it is possible for Google to wire the nation for Internet. The sticking point is the political climate (subsidies, USF, etc).

The sticking point is that nobody wants a reenactment of the Kingsbury act giving a company like AT&T or Google a more than 50 year monopoly on broadband services to offset the hundreds of billions that they would spend to accomplish a nationwide deployment

Sammer

join:2005-12-22
Canonsburg, PA

If Google really wants to light a fire

If Google really wants to light a fire under the pampered behinds of incumbent broadband providers they should consider bringing Google Fiber to about 20% of the homes in the country. Unfortunately the reality is that Google fiber probably is just an experiment and Google is no longer ambitious enough to make a real difference.

FFH5
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
reply to bbeesley

Re: Bell System

said by bbeesley:

said by IowaCowboy:

The sticking point is that nobody wants a reenactment of the Kingsbury act giving a company like AT&T or Google a more than 50 year monopoly on broadband services to offset the hundreds of billions that they would spend to accomplish a nationwide deployment

+1
As a cable over-builder in existing covered markets, Google can't make the kind of profit margin it is used to in its core search business.
--
A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves money from the public treasury.

Merry Christmas »goo.gl/Y2AEF

Telco

join:2008-12-19
reply to TBBroadband

Re: Cities?

said by TBBroadband:

he'll do what his shareholders and investors what. ROI!

Which is precisely why more and more of the world is accelerating ahead of us, while we battle tired old and quite frankly disproved gut-feelings and theories.

Had we had this dogma 80 years ago, the majority of us would have have no sewage system, use gravel roads, and use wells for our water supply.

RWers must stop listening to the propaganda of Faux News and pundits on talk-radio and enter the 21st century. Until you do so, the rest of us are stuck here waiting.

ropeguru
Premium
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA
said by Telco:

said by TBBroadband:

he'll do what his shareholders and investors what. ROI!

Which is precisely why more and more of the world is accelerating ahead of us, while we battle tired old and quite frankly disproved gut-feelings and theories.

Had we had this dogma 80 years ago, the majority of us would have have no sewage system, use gravel roads, and use wells for our water supply.

RWers must stop listening to the propaganda of Faux News and pundits on talk-radio and enter the 21st century. Until you do so, the rest of us are stuck here waiting.

So you are upset that we aren't a socilaist country and the government takes care of us? That is the way MOST of these other countries are doing it.

I would MUCH prefer not to have government involvement and things get built out however that may or may not be by private enterprise.

Mike
Premium,Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to TBBroadband
Google was ruined because of this investor centered short term quarterly profit projections.

It used to be an innovation company. Now it's basically a giant advertising and data mining firm.
--
"If something about the human body disgusts you, complain to the manufacturer" - Lenny Bruce
What this country needs is a good five dollar plasma weapon.

silbaco
Premium
join:2009-08-03
USA

Woohoo! Ads!

I'd rather keep my privacy and pay money every month than let google datamine my data so I could get free or super fast service.

FFH5
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

2 recommendations

reply to Telco

said by Telco:

And where would that be? Asia where all the workers are toiling away for slave wages. Europe, country by country going broke under the burden of unaffordable social services.
--
A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves money from the public treasury.

Merry Christmas »goo.gl/Y2AEF

NotTheMama
What Would Earl Do?

join:2012-12-06

So... it's a "beta".

At least they didn't call it "Google Wave" (because we know what that would portend--"oooh"... "ahhh"... splat!).
--
"...but ya doesn't hasta call me Johnson!"

silbaco
Premium
USA

1 recommendation

reply to Telco

You want the government to pay for ftth for you? That's great, but.... The government is broke. End of story.

On a side note... I have no problem with living on a gravel road. And using well water and a septic tank has saved me a considerable amount of money over the years.

NotTheMama
What Would Earl Do?

reply to silbaco

Re: Woohoo! Ads!

The only people with any level of privacy are the ones who don't use the Internet... at all (of course, every organization that they interact with and that knows anything about them undoubtedly destroys that premise every day).

There is no privacy.
--

silbaco
Premium
USA
Privacy from the government? Perhaps.

But that is different than privacy from google. When it comes to my browsing habits, google only knows what I search through their search engine and what their search engine crawlers dig up on the internet. They don't watch my internet connection to see what I type and when I type it.

NotTheMama
What Would Earl Do?

Hmmm, I seem to remember reading something here a few years back that said even if you didn't use Google sites/apps for anything, they still had an amazing amount of "profile info" about you--due to their "mining" efforts no doubt. Nope, you're never safe from Google--you can't hide from the devil.

Edit: I just took a closer look at the Google fiber graphic in the article... those homes look like little "broadband monsters" coming to get you. Yeesh.
--

cableties
Premium
join:2005-01-27
reply to Sammer

Re: If Google really wants to light a fire

What Google really needs to do is expand the fiber in markets unserved. Rural farm-centers in the NE, SE, MW, PNW, MR and SW.
Creating central datacenters, hub-sites, in these areas, might just spark a "build it out and they will come". If a business can setup with low overhead, low-tax enterprise zoning, bean-counters might relocate expensive properties to cheaper ones (they would rather sell off, lay-off, relocated and have new structures built if they could write it all off...).
When a big company starts leasing up land, putting in corporate offices, satellites, storage and other buildings, realtors notice, as do developers. Next come ratables, boxes, housing, support stores, infrastructure boosts...
All cyclic...
--
Splat

battleop

join:2005-09-28

Really? No kidding?

"Earlier this week a Goldman Sachs analyst estimated that building out Google Fiber nationally would cost somewhere around $140 billion, with just half of the country costing somewhere around $70 billion"

LOL, Really? I would love to see the calculations that were done to reach this conclusion.
--
I do not, have not, and will not work for AT&T/Comcast/Verizon/Charter or similar sized company.

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast
reply to FFH5

said by FFH5:

said by bbeesley:

said by IowaCowboy:

+1
As a cable over-builder in existing covered markets, Google can't make the kind of profit margin it is used to in its core search business.

But as a competitor, if Google can and is willing to provide better service than the incumbent provider, then people will vote with their wallets and choose the provider that serves them best. I would gladly take FiOS if it were available in Western Mass and I'd even pay VZ their hourly rate to wire my unit as it is a duplex (MDU in their world but our building is wired like two single family houses with Comcast). I'm sure the landlord would gladly take the FiOS install (although it is a renter's right in Mass to install telecom/cable as long as the tenant pays for the install, I paid to have another cable outlet installed in the second bedroom).

JTR

join:2012-05-19
Carbondale, IL
Reviews:
·Mediacom
reply to battleop

Re: Really? No kidding?

said by battleop:

"Earlier this week a Goldman Sachs analyst estimated that building out Google Fiber nationally would cost somewhere around $140 billion, with just half of the country costing somewhere around $70 billion"

LOL, Really? I would love to see the calculations that were done to reach this conclusion.

Yeah, it's bullshit. I did some research and ran my own calculations - the real cost would be closer to 200-300 billion, and even then I think my estimate is too low.

JTR

join:2012-05-19
Carbondale, IL
reply to silbaco

Same here.

Google can read my emails, track my searching, even do a little mining via ads... I don't mind. But when it comes to my actual connection to the Internet... There's no fucking way I'm giving Google full access to that.

battleop

join:2005-09-28
reply to JTR

My post wasn't about the actual amount.

brianiscool

join:2000-08-16
Miami, FL
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

GOOGLE

You should hit the market where it would effect the market the most. Launch in Miami, Florida. Their prices are extremely high. Look at the Comcast Business Plans $349 a month for 100Mbps. You could blast that market out of the water!
Also Comcast and AT&T have caps. If you can penetrate a large market like that you will be set.

kontos
xyzzy

join:2001-10-04
West Henrietta, NY
reply to silbaco

said by silbaco:

They don't watch my internet connection to see what I type and when I type it.

From the page source of this thread:
<script type="text/javascript">
var _gaq = _gaq || [];
_gaq.push(['_setAccount', 'UA-509714-1']);
_gaq.push(['_trackPageview']);
(function() {
var ga = document.createElement('script'); ga.type = 'text/javascript'; ga.async = true;
ga.src = ('https:' == document.location.protocol ? 'https://ssl' : 'http://www') + '.google-analytics.com/ga.js';
var s = document.getElementsByTagName('script')[0]; s.parentNode.insertBefore(ga, s);
})();
</script>

Looks like they know about what you do at DSLR, too.

elray

join:2000-12-16
Santa Monica, CA
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·EarthLink
reply to IowaCowboy

said by IowaCowboy:

But as a competitor, if Google can and is willing to provide better service than the incumbent provider, then people will vote with their wallets and choose the provider that serves them best. I would gladly take FiOS if it were available in Western Mass and I'd even pay VZ their hourly rate to wire my unit as it is a duplex (MDU in their world but our building is wired like two single family houses with Comcast).

Where FiOS is available, >70% of the people vote with their wallets and choose not to buy it. Google will have similar to worse results if they don't offer a more cost-effective product for the consumer.

The "uncompetitive" / "non-upgraded" (as Karl likes to call them) markets are so, because the majority customer base is unwilling to pay for anything better. How is Google going to turn a profit, ever?

pende_tim
Premium
join:2004-01-04
Andover, NJ
Reviews:
·Comcast

Won't happen

Any serious google fiber will be stopped cold by the incumbents having laws passed (like North Carolina ) that make it almost impossible to put a plan together and get permits.
--
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.

bbeesley
VIP
join:2003-08-07
Richardson, TX
reply to elray

said by elray:

because the majority customer base is unwilling to pay for anything better.

That they are unwilling to pay for anything better reinforces that there is insufficient demand - outside of the technology early adopters - to drive companies to build out to attract those customers.

The majority of folks are quite happy with DSL speeds and those speeds are good enough for what they want to do with the Internet

Once the mainstream catches up to the early adopters and demand increases, the communications providers will trip over each other to fill it.

pkorx8

join:2003-06-19
San Francisco, CA

Down the street from Google... but still no choice for ISP

I live literally down the street from the Google mothership in Mountainview. I wished I have a choice for ISP's but I don't. I'm stuck with Comcast.

big_e

join:2011-03-05

2 recommendations

reply to silbaco

Under the Bush administration the government had enough money to start a trillion dollar war under false pretenses, cut taxes on wealthy to the lowest levels in modern history, and prohibit medicare from negotiating drug prices with big pharma.

Funny how the government is always wealthy enough to give sweetheart deals to the rich and large corporations, but is always too poor when it comes to spending money on things that would benefit the rest of the population.

rit56

join:2000-12-01
New York, NY
reply to battleop

Probably 50% of that is Goldman's fee... They are liars and thieves and you can bet they pull their end before any money goes toward a build. They should be banned from working any financial arrangements with tax payer money. Thieves...

axus

join:2001-06-18
Washington, DC
reply to silbaco

Well, if you're using Google Chrome like I am, they *could* look at every keystroke on the web. I'm always a little creeped out by auto-complete.