spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2012-12-13 14:29:05: FCC Boss and Obama Harvard chum Julius Genachowski desperately hopes that his FCC legacy will be the man who saved wireless, though he'll more likely be remembered for being a wishy washy politician who folded precisely when the agency needed courage.. ..

page: 1 · 2 · next

WiseOldBear
De gustibus non est disputandum
Premium
join:2001-11-25
Phoenix, AZ

1 recommendation

Right On Karl

Your analysis is right on the mark. As long as broadband, wireless and the whole communications industry is a political football, we the people will be screwed in one fashion or another.
--
My perception is REALITY

blushrts

join:2001-01-06
New Cumberland, PA

I wonder which media conglomerate he will be working for when he leaves the FCC?

cableties
Premium
join:2005-01-27

1 recommendation

Federale Communista Communique

"The vital control of the communications that the US population uses must never be in the control of the very people that use it!"

-I made that up but sounds about right
--
Splat

roc5955
Premium
join:2005-11-26
Rosendale, NY

I don't think that this qualifies as "Communista." I believe it should be more like "Corporatista," because he is not catering to the community, but rather the corporations.

Another corporatist one. I wish we could have had Copps instead. At least he seemed better on media consolidation. »www.democracynow.org/2012/1/12/e···copps_on
Okay, only make cable equivalent to OTA broadcast.
--
"Understanding is a three-edged sword."

rdmiller

join:2005-09-23
Richmond, VA

Do over

Didn't I read a shorter version of this article just last week? And wasn't it by ... yes ... Karl Bode?

Sammer

join:2005-12-22
Canonsburg, PA
reply to roc5955

Re: Federale Communista Communique

said by roc5955:

I believe it should be more like "Corporatista," because he is not catering to the community, but rather the corporations.

Another corporatist one. I wish we could have had Copps instead.

There is no question that Michael Copps would have made a better (more respected by both the left and right) FCC Chairman than Genachowski.

JasonOD

@comcast.net

Are you guys crazy?!?

Genachowski has allowed (by not getting in the way of) the biggest and fastest LTE deployment the world has yet seen, and yes the somewhat painful but very necessary beginning of sunsetting obsolete DSL which of course will benefit those offering superior docsis 3.0 technologies.

If you were to let consumers drive the bus so to speak, with a heavy handed FCC piling rules and regulations on top of carriers, we'd all be the worse for it.

n2jtx

join:2001-01-13
Glen Head, NY
reply to blushrts

Re: Right On Karl

said by blushrts:

I wonder which media conglomerate he will be working for when he leaves the FCC?

I would bet Comcast, AT&T or Verizon.
--
I support the right to keep and arm bears.

What

@clearwire-wmx.net
reply to JasonOD

Re: Are you guys crazy?!?

short memory?
You mean 700Hz auction that need to maintain naked DSL, open to 3rd carrier, unlimited data and fiber build out?
Where are those now? FCC has failed to keep the market competitive. US broadband dropped the competitiveness ALL OVER in term of speed, availability and affordable price!

FFH
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5
reply to Sammer

said by Sammer:

There is no question that Michael Copps would have made a better (more respected by both the left and right) FCC Chairman than Genachowski.

Michael Copps was detested by the right as a left wing ideologue. Whether he would have been a better Chairman than Genachowski depends on your politics.

markbot

join:2012-11-21
New York, NY

Genachowski is a failure

He didn't get a single big issue right...except AT&T/ T-mobile...but that was so obvious a monkey could have made the right decision.

Lightsquared was a disaster. a horrible train wreck and it was the FCC's fault.

DISH spectrum approval took 20 months too long. 20 MONTHS!!! that's 2 lifetimes in internet time.

Comcast / NBCU merger shake down

Net Neutrality was a pointless waste of time since the order was completely lacking in teeth.

bbeesley
VIP
join:2003-08-07
Richardson, TX
kudos:5
reply to roc5955

said by roc5955:

I believe it should be more like "Corporatista," because he is not catering to the community, but rather the corporations.

While I agree that corporations frequently influence regulation, often to the detriment of the intent of the regulators...I would also add that "the community" provides non-productive influence as well.

The real problem with regulation in this country is twofold

1. Regulators often don't well understand the technology for which they are making regulatory decisions.

2. Regulators are either elected positions or they are appointed by people in elected positions who have a vested interest in keeping those that put them into power fat, dumb and happy.

The result is that regulators end up reacting to individuals or corporations who are unreasonably screaming like Verruca Salt, "I want it and I want it now!" instead of making informed and well though decisions.

Is it any wonder that the system is screwed up?

axus

join:2001-06-18
Washington, DC

If he feels bad now, he can read what you said about Powell

nasadude

join:2001-10-05
Rockville, MD
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to bbeesley

most government regulatory agencies are merely "millionaire incubators" - the chief and high level staff don't want to piss off their future employers.

If they are deferential/incompetent/corrupt enough, they will leave gov't for a job with the industry they were regulating for a significant salary increase.

some of them even make round trips: industry to gov't back to industry

TBBroadband

join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·MegaPath
reply to cableties

The FCC was never created to control what they think and do control now. They're job function was never to regulate phone, tv, cable and now think they regulate internet. They were created to regulate airwaves for radio stations. Which they need to go back and do. Until they are put in their place or actually given the power to control what they think they do, well then they won't be doing anything.

JasonOD

@comcast.net
reply to What

Disagree. Carriers, like any other company, need the flexibility to dynamically do what they do best (make a profit) to fulfill the needs of the marketplace. Otherwise you're tying their hands, slowing down progress, all while making it more expensive. The FCC recognizes this.

Naked DSL?? Come on, only a sliver of the market actually asked for it. Fiber? Unlimited data? Those are mutually exclusive, and as google is about to find out (like VZ before them), fiber is too expensive.

sonicmerlin

join:2009-05-24
Cleveland, OH
kudos:1
reply to TBBroadband

said by TBBroadband:

The FCC was never created to control what they think and do control now. They're job function was never to regulate phone, tv, cable and now think they regulate internet. They were created to regulate airwaves for radio stations. Which they need to go back and do. Until they are put in their place or actually given the power to control what they think they do, well then they won't be doing anything.

I must have imagined the whole Telecommunications Act of 1996.

sonicmerlin

join:2009-05-24
Cleveland, OH
reply to JasonOD

said by JasonOD :

Disagree. Carriers, like any other company, need the flexibility to dynamically do what they do best (make a profit) to fulfill the needs of the marketplace. Otherwise you're tying their hands, slowing down progress, all while making it more expensive. The FCC recognizes this.

Naked DSL?? Come on, only a sliver of the market actually asked for it. Fiber? Unlimited data? Those are mutually exclusive, and as google is about to find out (like VZ before them), fiber is too expensive.

Why do you zealots keep trolling these threads with unsubstantiated claims and/or outright lies?

openbox9
Premium
join:2004-01-26
Germany
kudos:2
reply to nasadude

What's the alternative? How do we prevent the flow of qualified people back and forth between public and private service? Honest question, because I'm curious how people think we can "fix" this "problem".

xrobertcmx
Premium
Sterling, VA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to JasonOD

Right, fiber is too expensive. That is why I have it, have had it for several years, and will continue to have it for several more. For this priviladge I pay about $1560 a year, never call customer support, and have all the original equipment except that expensive little box on the back of my house that was installed wrong.
The carrier that installed it was given substantial tax breaks, rights of way, and told they don't have to lease the lines. They also had been told they could exclude unprofitable neighborhoods. I doubt those words where used, but that is what they did.
Now, the CEO over there doesn't see long term investment as viable and doesn't want to mess up the short term by spending money on the last mile part of he install. He wants to skip all that and give everyone metered access, at a higher cost, to a network that won't cost as much to build out. You see, why pay for two separate networks when you can have only one, and that one also happens to be able to charge a premium.
Who knows, he might be right, I do believe Wireless is the future. Unobstructed, always on, super highspeed data that can be accessed anywhere at anytime from a single device. I also think we will get there about the time my tablet stops being a bedside toy and can replace my six (soon to be eight) core desktop with it's high end graphics card.
Say in about 10 to 12 years, that was how long it took them to get smart phones and tablets right.
--
I voted for Snoopy!

openbox9
Premium
Germany
reply to sonicmerlin

Are you asking both sides that question? Because I'd suggest that there are a lot of opinions thrown around on this site with little substantiation.

openbox9
Premium
Germany
reply to xrobertcmx

said by xrobertcmx:

The carrier that installed it was given substantial tax breaks, rights of way, and told they don't have to lease the lines.

Seems like you're playing both sides of the argument. You appear to be disagreeing with the comment that fiber is too expensive, yet you highlight mechanisms that can be used as carrots on sticks to help reduce costs. VZ stopped focusing on FiOS so that it could reallocate resources to the LTE build. Lets wait for the LTE build to be done before continuously whining about the FiOS build temporarily being halted.

gunther_01
Premium
join:2004-03-29
Saybrook, IL
reply to JasonOD

Your right Jason. Most on this site would prefer that they have everything for near free. But heaven forbid if they actually had to pay for a fiber build out to their home.. They wouldn't. Those same people have no problem trying to get the rest of us to pay for it with our tax money. MY MONEY.

The FCC is not put in charge of giving money away.. That is exactly what most are asking for in here. "The FCC didn't do their jobs" = "give me free stuff"

The FCC serves almost no point. But what they do (regulate the radio spectrum) they do pretty well. Because that is truly their task in life. Regardless of previous overzealous congressional laws. They, the FCC, has no right to get involved in a LOT of what they are doing.

They mess up, more than they fix.
--
»www.wirelessdatanet.net

xrobertcmx
Premium
Sterling, VA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to openbox9

The bit about it being o expensive was sarcasm. I believe and sadly hope that Verizon, at&t, and company will be forced to continue the build. I have 30/30 internet, no one else offers that. Not here, and no, LTE is not the solution. A big radio sitting outside my window does not do it for me, nor do caps, overages, and higher bills.
--
I voted for Snoopy!

xrobertcmx
Premium
Sterling, VA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to gunther_01

No, we are not trying to get you to pay for it. You already did, but it was never delivered.
I have Fiber, and can say I never want to go back, and I pay for it. I could go with Comcast, get the $79 triple play, slower Internet, lower quality TV picture, and cable card woes. Or I could go with...oh, that's right we have no competition. Here at least I have some choice and Verizon and Comcast almost compete. By that I mean they both increase prices by the same amount. Outside of deployed areas there isn't much.
In return for the ten's and hundreds of millions of dollars that they get in tax breaks, concetions, right of ways, and whatever else, I expect a modern and functional network. ADSL is not that.
--
I voted for Snoopy!

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
reply to openbox9

Easy, if one has worked in a control position of the sector to be regulated they cannot enter a control position of the government agency that regulated them. And have it in their contract that they cannot go back the same way.

Allowing a cable exec to get into the FCC or FTC is a bit like letting the fox guard the hens.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

openbox9
Premium
Germany

Forever? Or for a period of time? If the FCC is being staffed by technical types (arguably it isn't, but it should be), won't they be hard-pressed to find employment after their tenure, considering their expertise and focus?

Not discounting your proposition, just thinking through the whole thing.

openbox9
Premium
Germany
reply to xrobertcmx

The whole post seemed sarcastic, that's why I was trying to decipher. As for "forcing", don't count on it. Encouraging/Enticing, yes, forcing, no. Wireless is an option for a lot of people. Not everyone, but many. Technologies should not be discounted as we try to expand coverage and connectivity.

ArgMeMatey

join:2001-08-09
Milwaukee, WI

Bring Back Minow

Has anyone contacted Newton Minow to see if he wants the job? He had plenty of bad things to say about the people he regulated.

cork1958
Cork
Premium
join:2000-02-26

Not any different

This is nothing actually any different than any other branch of government or political figure.

It only matters when it's crunch time or election time, and then things usually either get extended or forgotten.
--
The Firefox alternative.
»www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/