dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2012-12-13 17:39:32: In a new filing with the FCC, Verizon insists that the carrier is not blocking Google Wallet anti-competitively, though the company has a vested interest in promoting its own Isis mobile payment platforming. ..

sk1939
Premium Member
join:2010-10-23
Frederick, MD

1 recommendation

sk1939

Premium Member

Verizon

Verizon, you and AT&T seem to like to block most anything that threatens your revenue streams don't you.

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5

Premium Member

Re: Verizon

Google Wallet works just fine on Sprint CDMA phones. Why not on Verizon phones?
rradina
join:2000-08-08
Chesterfield, MO

rradina to sk1939

to sk1939
There's nothing wrong with them trying. All corporations try to make as much money as possible. However, this type of activity should cause the "ref" to throw a flag and at the very least, request a booth review.
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd

Premium Member

The problem is the ref is on the payroll of the bigger team.
jc10098
join:2002-04-10

jc10098

Google needs to "pay up" on their bribes a bit better it seems if the refs are in ATT and Verizon's court. You'd think Google would have a team of lobbyists on its side, too.

sk1939
Premium Member
join:2010-10-23
Frederick, MD
ARRIS SB8200
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Juniper SRX320

sk1939

Premium Member

said by jc10098:

Google needs to "pay up" on their bribes a bit better it seems if the refs are in ATT and Verizon's court. You'd think Google would have a team of lobbyists on its side, too.

I'm sure they do, but they are new to the lobbying game; the Ma Bell companies are old hats at lobbying, and have been funding many of these politicians before there was something called the internet.
jc10098

jc10098

Very true. Hard to "Buy or Bribe" your way into an entrenched market. That takes serious capital and I wonder if Google is ready to dump that level of cash to make these folks see their side of the light.
dra6o0n
join:2011-08-15
Mississauga, ON

dra6o0n

Why do you think Google uses the 'people' to pressure entrenched corporations to move?

cdru
Go Colts
MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN

cdru to Kearnstd

MVM

to Kearnstd
said by Kearnstd:

The problem is the ref is on the payroll of the bigger team.

Who's the bigger team though?

Verizon: $127b market cap, $2.4b 2011 net income
Google: $230b market cap, $8.5b 2011 net income
dra6o0n
Mississauga, ON

dra6o0n

Google has the bigger community too.
Something bad happens, Google uses them fight back.
jc10098

jc10098 to cdru

to cdru
You forgot to add ATT + Verizon Vs. Google. Both Att and Verizon are unified against Google.

cdru
Go Colts
MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN

cdru

MVM

said by jc10098:

You forgot to add ATT + Verizon Vs. Google. Both Att and Verizon are unified against Google.

Ok, I'll revise my statement:

AT&T: 193b market cap, $3.9b 2011 net income
Verizon: $127b market cap, $2.4b 2011 net income
Google: $230b market cap, $8.5b 2011 net income

Part of my point is also that at these numbers, there isn't really a "bigger" team to pay off the refs. It's an irresistible force meeting an immovable object scenario.

workablob
join:2004-06-09
Houston, TX

workablob

Familiar?

This reminds me of when V blocked Google Maps from accessing the GPS on the phones while trying to get users to pay for VZNavigator.

Hmmm.

Dave

amarryat
Verizon FiOS
join:2005-05-02
Marshfield, MA

amarryat

Re: Familiar?

said by workablob:

This reminds me of when V blocked Google Maps from accessing the GPS on the phones while trying to get users to pay for VZNavigator.

Hmmm.

Dave

I was going to say the exact same thing. I had a Blackberry at the time and called to complain. They said it was a security issue. And then they unlocked them a year later.

rit56
join:2000-12-01
New York, NY

rit56

Verizon

Would anyone really use Verizon as their "credit card"? No way will that ever happen. Denying Google wallet is no different than Visa imposing rules that you can't use Master Card. The whole "it's their network" is bull. They can't be allowed to force you to but products through them only. Total bullshit.
TBBroadband
join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH

TBBroadband

And would anyone really use Google? I'd trust VZW with my information before Google and their data bank that is open to the highest bidder, and how has a track record of selling that information.

ArrayList
DevOps
Premium Member
join:2005-03-19
Mullica Hill, NJ

ArrayList

Premium Member

do you seriously think that verizons not selling your information? I'd rather give my information to the company that does a better job managing it.
dra6o0n
Mississauga, ON

dra6o0n

Correct, smaller corporations have a better chance of selling your information off to ad agency and such.

Google is more of the 'freelance' type that not only collect information, but doesn't really 'need' them as they look through the info and then stash it.

ArrayList
DevOps
Premium Member
join:2005-03-19
Mullica Hill, NJ

ArrayList

Premium Member

Google provides a service with it at least. I don't get anything from Verizon if they were to get that information.

morbo
Complete Your Transaction

morbo

Verizon plays dirty

Verizon is in the wrong here. However, with a impotent FCC leadership the consequences are a verbal reprimand or worse yet -- no action at all.

This is a bigger story than what it seems.
IONEX
join:2001-12-09
Tarrytown, NY

IONEX

APK

You can't download Wallet through the Play Store on Verizon phones but if you download the APK from somewhere else it works fine. I use Google Wallet on my Verizon Galaxy Nexus using the above method and thankfully I did as I forgot my wallet the last time I went to CVS and it came in handy...
Happydude32
Premium Member
join:2005-07-16

Happydude32

Premium Member

Re: APK

I can download Google Wallet on my Droid DNA via the Play Store, in fact it came preloaded on the phone. Since it's basically useless on Verizon, I uninstalled it. When I would launch it, I'd get the same message that's in the picture above.

WK2
Premium Member
join:2006-12-28
united state

WK2

Premium Member

Are they bored

I use Google wallet for many things! ugh

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

Which is why I like Apple

Apple would not allow this. Apple controls the carriers, not the carriers controlling Apple. Verizon had to cave in since there was market demand for the iPhone on Verizon.

I bet Isis will fail as the number of merchants that will accept Google Wallet will outnumber the merchants who will sign onto Isis.

It would be nice if I could use my phone to pay my bus fare. The PVTA just put in new fareboxes. iPhones with a barcode scanner attachment and an iPhone app would have been cheaper. The new fareboxes function the same way as the old ones, they are just slightly fancier and are so late '90s tech wise whereas the old ones are '80s era tech. Smartphones are so 21st century tech.

As the debate over the dollar coin continues, I have a feeling that US currency will go paperless/coinless someday and go all digital with debit cards and smartphones.
TBBroadband
Fremont, OH

TBBroadband

Re: Which is why I like Apple

funny!

If T or VZW went to Apple and told them to remove something from the iTunes store it would be GONE. Apple only cares if they get their $$$ or not.

And before you start becoming an iProduct fan boy and VZW fanyboy- NOT everyone uses nor cares about iProducts so by using only their technology, limits the others from using it.

And as far as SmartPhones being 21st Century- that leaves Apple out on a LOT of things. Especially when many phones have better and higher specs than most of the iPhones. Apple has you over their desk bent over and they know it.
88615298 (banned)
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

88615298 (banned) to IowaCowboy

to IowaCowboy
said by IowaCowboy:

Apple would not allow this. Apple controls the carriers, not the carriers controlling Apple. Verizon had to cave in since there was market demand for the iPhone on Verizon.

I bet Isis will fail as the number of merchants that will accept Google Wallet will outnumber the merchants who will sign onto Isis.

It would be nice if I could use my phone to pay my bus fare. The PVTA just put in new fareboxes. iPhones with a barcode scanner attachment and an iPhone app would have been cheaper. The new fareboxes function the same way as the old ones, they are just slightly fancier and are so late '90s tech wise whereas the old ones are '80s era tech. Smartphones are so 21st century tech.

As the debate over the dollar coin continues, I have a feeling that US currency will go paperless/coinless someday and go all digital with debit cards and smartphones.

Please Apple is the worse at proprietary tyrany. Apple allows Google wallet on Iphones?
puck0114
join:2005-12-24
Portland, OR

puck0114 to IowaCowboy

to IowaCowboy
Here in Portland, our public transit service is planning to begin smart phone ticketing this Spring on both Android and iOS. This will let you buy your tickets and display them on your phone. No more paper! I read that Boston is currently doing something similar. So there's some hope.

morbo

morbo to IowaCowboy

to IowaCowboy
Many countries offer NFC wireless payment for bus and subway fare. The USA is a bit behind with that, but wireless credit card terminals are starting to show up in more places. You should know that the iPhone does not have an NFC chip and is unable to use Google Wallet or similar systems.

Bill Neilson
Premium Member
join:2009-07-08
Alexandria, VA

Bill Neilson

Premium Member

Why should Verizon care if they are following the rules?

Who would actually stop them?

Oh no, they are fined another $10,000 for that financial scheme that netted them over $100,000,000 dollars? What a reason to not do that again!

f_verizon
@comcast.net

f_verizon

Anon

f_verizon

anyone still paying out the nose for verizon deserves what they get. i went from paying them over 100 a month with a crippled galaxy nexus to a nexus 4 on tmobile's 30 per month plan. big woop no lte im happy on hspa+ and it doesnt drain my battery.
TBBroadband
Fremont, OH

TBBroadband

Others

Others do this same thing. Google is only in the news because its "Google" and nobody else.

BlackBoard the high school and secondary education software provider is only available on Sprint and certain devices. Maybe I should complain because it's not available on TMO??? And claim its a TMO issue.

If Google thinks they're above everyone else, well they need to just buy up someone and build out on their own, but wait! they decided they couldn't do that and had no intent in starting their own networks.

••••

jseymour
join:2009-12-11
Waterford, MI

jseymour

"Smart" Phone Security

I'd never use a "smart" phone that way, anyway, even if I did have one. Due to a pretty serious bug in Samsung's mobile devices, I've been looking more closely at the whole Android universe. What I'm seeing is not reassuring. Between Google's loosey-goosey control of the Play Store, and manufacturers and carriers mucking-about with the Android OS to suit their needs, I trust the platform even less than I do MS-Win.

Jim

morbo

morbo

Re: "Smart" Phone Security

Back to using tin cans and string for communication?
ConstantineM
join:2011-09-02
San Jose, CA

ConstantineM

"integration obstacles"

I LOL'ed!

First, create an imaginary obstacle yourself. Then, claim that there's an obstacle, and it's someone else's fault!

Good job, Verizon! Don't know why people would pay more to have less; "can you hear me now" must have been a really good ad campaign on their part.

They are already shutting down their own stupid app store; but haven't actually learned anything from the experience and the wasted resources?
TheRogueX
join:2003-03-26
Springfield, MO

TheRogueX

So.. wait..

It's an 'integration problem?'

Tell that to someone who has a Galaxy S III on Verizon (who can't use Google Wallet because it is 'unavailable on his device') to a guy who has a Galaxy S III on Sprint (same device, and oh look, it's totally available and works just fine!).

In my line of work, we call what Verizon is saying a 'boldfaced lie.'