dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2012-12-14 11:13:40: The debate this week over the ITU's "attempt to take over the Internet" via a meeting this week in Dubai has been a bizarre combination of hyperbolic American xenophobia, fascist censorship pipe dreams and European telco bluster. ..

jc10098
join:2002-04-10

1 edit

1 recommendation

jc10098

Tongue and Cheek

I love how the U.S. walks out over privacy concerns, right after the public finds out our privacy has long been dead. America is nothing but a dog and pony show. You don't mind warehousing the data of every American and storing the contents of our lives for five years, innocent or not. However, you object to other nations having access to their citizens data. I believe the true motive is you fear someone might be monitoring YOUR (government's traffic) and of course that doesn't bode well, huh?

How "noble" and hypocritical.

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5

Premium Member

Russian China version taxes content

This was all about money, not privacy. Russia, China and the beggar nations all want the ability to tax large content companies like they do international phone calls. The US, EU, and some couple dozen other countries are against that. Those not signing this will not be bound by the new rules, but by the 1988 version.
jc10098

jc10098

Ya I read that part, too. However, they will be revisiting the issue again. To me it's a farce the U.S. is decrying the legislation when it's guilty of committing violations that the same law enacts. Politics.
NOVA_UAV_Guy
Premium Member
join:2012-12-14
Purcellville, VA

3 recommendations

NOVA_UAV_Guy

Premium Member

Why are we even involved?

I think it's good that we're not joining in on signing off on any new rules, period. How would it benefit us to relinquish even a small amount of control that we now have?

Personally, I'm still looking for real justification to explain why we're even involved in something like the United Nations to begin with. I really don't see much benefit to us being a member, as the whole organization seems to support the idea of individual nations relinquishing some degree of sovereignty to be governed by an un-elected group of "enlightened fools" who are answerable to nobody.

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5

Premium Member

Re: Russian China version taxes content

55 countries refused to sign treaty. 89 signed.
»www.google.com/hostednew ··· e18f.3d1

fifty nine
join:2002-09-25
Sussex, NJ

3 recommendations

fifty nine

Time to get US out of the UN in general

long and short of it. The more we cozy up to this corrupt organization is the more America will be flushed down the toilet, or reduced to be even and fair with everyone else.
jc10098

1 recommendation

jc10098

More like the more countries cozy up to the U.S., the less free and more closely watched their citizens become. Our policies are influencing Canada, Sweden, and governments around the world to enact legislation on this whole Terrorism Farce. Sure, there is Terrorism but Handguns are used in more crime and Terrorism is still relatively rare comparative to how people die every day (autos, weapons, domestic disputes, etc).
Skippy25
join:2000-09-13
Hazelwood, MO

Skippy25 to jc10098

to jc10098

Re: Tongue and Cheek

Please elaborate on your comment as I simply did not get this from anything I know about this.

I would agree with the US being a bunch of asshats and us being idiots and allowing them to invade our privacy way too much, but I didnt get that they walked out on this because it allowed others to do the same.

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium Member
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK

KrK to jc10098

Premium Member

to jc10098

Re: Time to get US out of the UN in general

Actually, I feel you *both* are right.
russotto
join:2000-10-05
West Orange, NJ

russotto

Yes, they're hypocrites

But just because the US government supports domestic spying doesn't mean they're wrong to oppose censorship by governments which are still way worse. Would you prefer they be _consistently_ evil?

The ITU really boned this one up. They want more control over the internet, so they cozy up to totalitarians to do it... and by doing so lose support of the anti-US factions in the western world.