spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2012-12-14 12:28:46: Earlier this month T-Mobile announced that the company will be doing away with subsidies next year and allowing users to either buy their devices outright, or enter in to a financing program wherein users pay $15-$20 extra per month to pay off the ha.. ..

amungus
Premium
join:2004-11-26
America
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
·KCH Cable

what happened

This might turn out to be simpler in the end for some folks.
We all know that the carriers have been generally making a nice profit on the subsidizing of handsets for quite some time.

My only problem is what happened to decent "normal" phones?

My parents don't want or need an iPhone. They want a phone. They might text twice a month.

I do hope "normal" phones continue to exist on all carriers. It's becoming harder to find any that are worth a damn, and I do NOT want to set them up with some crap "as seen on TV" service marketed specifically to old people with no desire to research and get service. I want to keep them on my plan, and be able to get them devices as needed that don't totally suck. Sadly, I may have to end up getting them some kind of touch screen for their next phones. Shame that most of the lower end ones are such junk.

Don't even care if said devices are paid up front, by loan, or subsidy, as long as they exist.

Skippy25

join:2000-09-13
Hazelwood, MO

I like this move.

I am completely for this and I think it is WAAAY overdue. We can only hope it hits all providers for all devices.

I would hope shortly following that the contract commitments will die. At that point, how can they possibly justify contracts and ETF's if you buy the phones out right? I think this will be a little harder to rip from the clutches of companies like Verizon and AT&T and thus they will certainly be the ones lagging on the efforts.

Skippy25

Hazelwood, MO
reply to amungus

Re: what happened

They have this called the internet. I hear that if you jump on it you can find practically anything and everything you would ever need.

FFH5
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5
said by Skippy25:

They have this called the internet. I hear that if you jump on it you can find practically anything and everything you would ever need.

And a lot of 80+ something parents don't need or want the internet. They just want to TALK to their children and grandchildren.

ISurfTooMuch

join:2007-04-23
Tuscaloosa, AL
reply to amungus
Unfortunately, getting a decent non-smartphone is going to get harder. One thing you might consider, if you and your parents are on a GSM carrier, is to shop for phones from overseas. As long as they support both 850 and 1900 for voice and 3G, you should be good. Just keep a few things in mind:

You really will need 3G on both 850 and 1900, since carriers like AT&T are turning off GSM in some places.
Make sure the phone you get has English menus.
Make sure you can get a compatible charger. Remember, there will be differences based on the country the phone is sold in.

If I were you, I'd look at some of the phones being sold by carriers serving Caribbean islands, as they'll usually be GSM and will likely run off 110v power. Just be careful with the frequencies, as the Caribbean can be a mixed bag. Then, once you've found a model that works for you, go hunting online to find the best price.

fifty nine

join:2002-09-25
Sussex, NJ
kudos:2

Are the phones unlocked?

If you're taking out a loan to buy a device outright, are the devices unlocked?

tdouglas22

join:2001-09-25
Memphis, TN
said by fifty nine:

I would assume that they will allow you to unlock the device after you've paid the loan off.

Mr Matt

join:2008-01-29
Eustis, FL
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Millenicom
·Embarq Now Centu..
·Comcast
·CenturyLink

Signing for a loan changes everything.

If you take out a loan to purchase your new handset you are responsible to pay it off even if the carrier goes out of business. You will no longer have the opportunity for the carrier to waive the ETF because you moved to an area where there is no service. Biggest problem, is with CDMA handsets which are not compatible between carriers. You can wind up paying $600.00 for a useless piece of plastic.

brianiscool

join:2000-08-16
Tampa, FL

right

I am going to pay 2x as much for outdated phones.

TBBroadband

join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH

No Credit check?

Okay. So Leap/Cricket is passing the credit check part onto a loan company. This is still obtaining a credit check before being able to purchase the phone on payments.

SunnyD

join:2009-03-20
Madison, AL

With any luck this pushes the price down on devices.

No more subsidies going directly into the pockets of OEMs means likely more people buying devices outright, which likely means a good bit more competition on the open market for devices, which should (in theory) start bringing those outrageous device prices down to earth.

juilinsandar
Texas Gooner
Premium
join:2000-07-17
San Benito, TX
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to brianiscool

Re: right

Outdated? Not necessarily. Cricket had both the iphone 5 and Galaxy S III available for sale at the same time as the major carriers. They are going after the people who want a high end phone but don't have the credit worthiness to sign up with one of the major carriers.
--
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last. - Sir Winston Churchill

juilinsandar
Texas Gooner
Premium
join:2000-07-17
San Benito, TX
reply to TBBroadband

Re: No Credit check?

There is no credit check. One must only have an open checking account in good standing.

Skippy25

Hazelwood, MO
reply to FFH5

You clearly did not comprehend what I was saying.

My point was, he can find pretty much any phone of his choice for his parents through a supplier on the internet.

Skippy25

Hazelwood, MO
reply to tdouglas22

Re: Are the phones unlocked?

Paid off or not, they should be unlocked.

I am sure your financing will not come from the providers, it will come from a financial institution of some sort and the phone belongs to you and them until it is fully paid for. I can't imagine the finance company has any interest in it being locked because A.) it makes no difference to them and B.) it restricts you and thus may cause you to stop paying if you for some reason or another go to a carrier the phone does not support or can't support because of the lock.

Skippy25

Hazelwood, MO
reply to Mr Matt

Re: Signing for a loan changes everything.

But you also have a phone you can resell and your $600 useless plastic is pretty aggressive.

I would be willing to bet after a year or 2 of all companies doing this there will not be a single phone over $300 and that includes the iPhone.

Boricua
Premium
join:2002-01-26
Sacramuerto
reply to ISurfTooMuch

I've been getting my phones through eBay, and to this day, I haven't had any problems with buying (legitimate sellers) and activating (clean ESN for Verizon service). I added my mom to my plan and all she wanted (she told me) was a phone that makes calls, nothing fancy schmancy.

I have been wanting to get the Samsung Galaxy SIII, as it has gotten great reviews, but until Verizon gets rid of that data requirement (when hell freezes over), I'll be stuck with mediocre phones at best.
--
Illegal aliens have always been a problem in the United States. Ask any Indian. Robert Orben

BiggA

join:2005-11-23
EARTH
reply to ISurfTooMuch
You're over-dramatizing this. Yes, there is a trend towards smartphones. There are still plenty of dumbphones. My parents each have a dumbphone (in addition to a smartphone each, various combinations of work and personal lines), and they recently upgraded to better ones by buying AT&T GoPhones for $40, keeping their upgrades on the lines, and swapping their SIM cards into them. The phones, albeit being made by ZTE and branded AT&T, have excellent sound quality, reception, screens, keys, 3G, and great battery life.

tmc8080

join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY
Reviews:
·ooma
·Optimum Online
·Verizon FiOS

$$

This is AFTER Metro (not sure about leap) jacked up the prices for their phones store-wide (before this, they had the cheapest smartphones in the industry-- as low as $30).. haha... the cost is more than built-in whether you buy outright or pay it out...

PhoenixAZ
Get A Mac
Premium
join:2004-01-04
Phoenix, AZ
reply to tdouglas22

said by tdouglas22:

said by fifty nine:

I would assume that they will allow you to unlock the device after you've paid the loan off.

still lame. Am I only allowed to put Shell gas in my car until the car is paid off?

PhoenixAZ
Get A Mac
Premium
Phoenix, AZ
reply to juilinsandar

Re: No Credit check?

said by juilinsandar:

There is no credit check. One must only have an open checking account in good standing.

Do they just draw your phone payments right out of your checking account?

Jb2012

join:2012-12-15
reply to amungus

Try the jitterbug phone. You can get it at walmart for less than $20

ConstantineM

join:2011-09-02
San Jose, CA
reply to amungus

Not having a smartphone can be expensive.

I don't think many people can afford non-smartphones anymore, and I think it's a good thing.

Why would you buy a non-smartphone if you can get a smartphone for just 100 to 200 bucks prepaid (same price of what non-smartphones used to be back in the day), and have internet at your fingertips?

The amount of money you can save by having internet at your fingertips is staggering. Unless Verizon and/or AT&T with their expensive and stupid "share data and enjoy huge overage fees" plans are your only choice, buying a smartphone for hardly any extra premium is basically a no-brainer nowadays.

BiggA

join:2005-11-23
EARTH
reply to Jb2012

NO! Tracfone is better in that case.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170
kudos:2
reply to PhoenixAZ

Then don't do it. Put it on a credit card if you want to finance a handset and use it with any carrier.

PhoenixAZ
Get A Mac
Premium
Phoenix, AZ
said by skeechan:

Then don't do it. Put it on a credit card if you want to finance a handset and use it with any carrier.

that actually isn't a bad idea at all. But they still shouldn't rope me into a contract if I'm financing it with my own means.