dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2012-12-14 16:38:43: T-Mobile has launched HSPA+ service in the company's 1900 MHz spectrum in several new markets as the carrier continues to woo unlocked device owners. ..

decifal7
join:2007-03-10
Bon Aqua, TN

decifal7

keep

Keep expanding guys, keep expanding.. It is the only way to have a chance to grow.... And remember.. Not everyone lives in the dam city...
88615298 (banned)
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

88615298 (banned)

Re: keep

T-mobile will always only offer coverage to those that live in or near a metro area. The rest of us don't matter to them. So honestly they can take their whole "we have the most 4G coverage" claims and shove them.
BiggA
Premium Member
join:2005-11-23
Central CT

BiggA

Premium Member

Exactly. Their coverage is just as bad as ever, and as areas not near the city lag farther and farther behind in technology upgrades, in some ways it's actually getting worse.

DataRiker
Premium Member
join:2002-05-19

DataRiker

Premium Member

I go to the country side all the time and always get coverage. In this area they just roam on another carrier I guess.
BiggA
Premium Member
Central CT

BiggA

Premium Member

Why woud you want to have a tiny amount of slow data when you could have your regular plan and fake 4G that's cranking along at 3-5mbps?

DataRiker
Premium Member
join:2002-05-19

DataRiker

Premium Member

Oh, I don't have a smartphone.

I guess you guys are referring to Data coverage. I was just assuming voice.

djdanska
Rudie32
Premium Member
join:2001-04-21
San Diego, CA

djdanska to BiggA

Premium Member

to BiggA
Sure, 3-5Mb down. Got this while on the bus near mexico with t-mobile.
BiggA
Premium Member
Central CT
·Frontier FiberOp..
Asus RT-AC68

BiggA

Premium Member

You totally missed the point. When you go outside the city, you go to EDGE, GPRS, or throttled roaming, while AT&T is cruising right along with Faux G, and soon Verizon will have LTE everywhere.

@Buddahbless, AT&T passed T-Mobile with the exact same fake 4G quite some time ago. Verizon is behind AT&T if you count "4G", not 4G LTE.

djdanska
Rudie32
Premium Member
San Diego, CA

djdanska

Premium Member

No I didn't. I had full 4g in my T-Mobile going through rural MO, TX, OK, when my Verizon was lucky to even be on evdo, usually on 1xrtt.
BiggA
Premium Member
Central CT
·Frontier FiberOp..
Asus RT-AC68

BiggA

Premium Member

If you look at the map, go a few miles outside a city, and T-Mobile is back on "2G" or roaming. Verizon is on LTE or EVDO. Some of the 1x roaming areas on Verizon, which are pretty much beyond where T-Mobile even has service, are being fixed with LTEiRA.

djdanska
Rudie32
Premium Member
San Diego, CA

djdanska

Premium Member

I know what's on the maps. It isn't reflective of new coverage. Tons of the coverage i had was listed as pure roaming. Some had the icons for new towers but still roaming. Real vs. map coverage isn't the same.
BiggA
Premium Member
Central CT
·Frontier FiberOp..
Asus RT-AC68

BiggA

Premium Member

Yeah right. You're trying to tell me that T-Mobile has done some massive stealth build-out to cover the massive areas that they currently have 2G or no service with 4G? Yeah right. Maybe here or there, but definitely not anywhere close to where AT&T is. And even AT&T will fall back to EDGE occasionally, but at least they have something pretty much everywhere.
TBBroadband
join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH

TBBroadband to 88615298

to 88615298
it has never been a secret on their coverage area. So why keep complaining about it? It's never going to change. They have their right to market to where they're going to get their ROI just the way as other carriers. I'm sure though if you wanted coverage they'd bring you on as a network partner as they do have them. you build them out and combine the networks as they have done with i-Wireless- and NOT the prepaid company owned by the Kroger Company.
88615298 (banned)
West Tenness

88615298 (banned)

said by TBBroadband:

it has never been a secret on their coverage area. So why keep complaining about it? It's never going to change.

I'm not complaining about not having their coverage. Try READING what I wrote. I'm complaining about their contention they have the most 4G LTE coverage which is untrue. Something wrong with expecting a company to adhere to truth in advertising standards?

buddahbless
join:2005-03-21
Premium

buddahbless

MY friend BF69 you may need to look at Tmobiles ads again as you are highly mistaken. Never once did TMO say they had the " largest 4G LTE coverage" they do however claim "largest 4G coverage" which did hold true given the loose definition of "4G" until just recently as Verizon LTE coverage is now on par and is now surpassing TMO HSPA+ network coverage. There was truth in advertising as they were the largest 4G network just deceptive marketing. The new ads says faster and more dependable nothing about largest anymore.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· ML7aphSc

The same can be said for Verizon which also runs deceptive advertising commercial ads when there asking people on the street which network would you chose and show people the amount of coverage all the carriers have on a bar graph Verizon ,ATT, Sprint, & TMobile of "4G LTE" they omit the fact that "4G" is not just "LTE' it also covers HSPA+ so there coverage looks like its leaps and bounds over everyone else. Why did they not just compare all "4G" (LTE & HSPA) coverage? because then they would not have the superior coverage map, there is no lies in there advertising but they also withheld some truths, in other words deceptive advertising .

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· G8VkE6yA

djdanska
Rudie32
Premium Member
San Diego, CA

djdanska to 88615298

Premium Member

to 88615298
You realize they stopped using "most 4g coverage" months ago., right?
88615298 (banned)
West Tenness

88615298 (banned)

said by djdanska:

You realize they stopped using "most 4g coverage" months ago., right?

Well their "nationwide" and 220 million covered by 4G is equally BS

»videos.t-mobile.com/

djdanska
Rudie32
Premium Member
San Diego, CA

djdanska

Premium Member

I call bull at that too. On my trip from Illinois to San Diego, my T-Mobile phones had 4g a hell of a lot more often than my Verizon lte mifi. 1xrtt sucks!

jchambers28
Premium Member
join:2007-05-12
Peculiar, MO

jchambers28 to decifal7

Premium Member

to decifal7
I am waiting for the Arkansas market to get upgraded. Fort smith, Vanburan, ALMA. Still edge here.

gninke
Buck30
Premium Member
join:2004-03-03
Tempe, AZ

gninke to decifal7

Premium Member

to decifal7
I have been super pleased with Tmobi, but, I live in Phoenix, when I go to visit realatives in South Dakota, i only have Edge (one downfall of the failed merger)
brianiscool
join:2000-08-16
Tampa, FL

brianiscool

T-Mobile

I was looking at the company and seems they have been at a loss all year. I hope they catch up some how.

AnonFTW
@reliablehosting.com

AnonFTW

Anon

Full Listing?

Does anyone have a full listing of the markets that have been upgraded? Even better would be that and a list of planned launches.

dave49er
join:2004-05-05
Walnut, CA

dave49er

Re: Full Listing?

This is customer generated, and not official:

»airportal.de/
ArizonaSteve
join:2004-01-31
Apache Junction, AZ

ArizonaSteve

Does anyone know what they are actually changing? Now there are a lot of 2G Edge towers that use 1900Mhz, lots of slow speed UMTS 3G 384Kbps towers using 1700 Mhz and a few high speed 4G 24Mb towers using HSPA+.
I wonder if they are going to convert all the 3G and 4G 1700 Mhz towers to 1900Mhz or just the the 3G or just the 4G towers to 1700 Mhz? There are about 50 towers withing a 10 mile radius of me with most of them being 2G and slow speed 3G but only 4 of the high speed 4G towers that I can find. If they convert all the 3G and 4G towers to 1900 Mhz there will be very good coverage everywhere and if they convert just the 3G towers there will be pretty good coverage but not everywhere and if they convert just the 4 4G towers to 1900Mhz the coverage will be terrrible! On that map it shows just ONE 3G tower on 1900 Mhz in my area and it's in the location that used to have one of the 4 4G 1700Mhz towers.
On the other hand the guy who made the map is located in Germany and doesn't really seem to know how the American phone system works so it might not be accurate.
88615298 (banned)
West Tenness

88615298 (banned)

said by ArizonaSteve:

Does anyone know what they are actually changing? Now there are a lot of 2G Edge towers that use 1900Mhz,

all 2G towers are being converted to 4G
ArizonaSteve
Apache Junction, AZ

ArizonaSteve

They must have just put up a new tower near me because when I turned on the Galaxy S yesterday I was getting 4 bars with 4G! I tried to use OpenSignalMaps to find out were the new tower is and it shows one just a couple of blocks away that wasn't there before but couldn't give the exact location and it doesn't show up on the German airportal map. Also it's on 1900Mhz band 2 which is what they are switching the older 3G service on 1700Mhz over too. You might have to change the settings in your phone to get it when it comes to your area though. My Galaxy S-2 couldn't get it at first until I changed the band setting from Auto to WCDMA.
ssavoy
Premium Member
join:2007-08-16
Dallas, PA

ssavoy

Premium Member

Metro or National

You can't be both a metro and national provider, and yet T-Mobile is. Their HSPA+ works excellent but it still seems like they half-ass everything.

Looking at their coverage maps, their cell site density isn't even that much outside the cities on the highways, and if they share the same towers as their competitors, rolling out 3G/4G is fully their responsibility at this point.

Some of AT&T's LTE rollouts already dwarf the T-Mobile 3G coverage in the same market. All I want to see is more transparency on what their plans are for EDGE. They seem to be catering a lot to BYOD-from-another-carrier customers right now, not their own.
TBBroadband
Fremont, OH

TBBroadband

Re: Metro or National

They are defined as a national carrier as they operate out side of one metro area. Hence- National. As far as sharing the same towers as others, this is common. Many of those towers are owned by American Tower or Crown Castle. And to top it off. T-Mobile DOES in fact own a lot of their towers.

bobjohnson
Premium Member
join:2007-02-03
Spartanburg, SC

bobjohnson

Premium Member

said by TBBroadband:

They are defined as a national carrier as they operate out side of one metro area. Hence- National. As far as sharing the same towers as others, this is common. Many of those towers are owned by American Tower or Crown Castle. And to top it off. T-Mobile DOES in fact own a lot of their towers.

They don't technically own them anymore..
»T-Mobile Sells Tower Rights For $2.4 Billion [15] comments
ArizonaSteve
Apache Junction, AZ

ArizonaSteve to ssavoy

to ssavoy
T-Mobile doesn't have any coverage at all in most rural areas. I don't know where they get all the red dots on that map they show behind the girl in the TV ads but it shows coverage across most of the Southwest and there isn't any such thing. I recently drove across Texas and there is no signal at all when you leave El Paso until you get all the way to San Antonio, not even Edge. Coverage is pretty good all around the Phoenix area but it's mostly 3G since there aren't many 4G towers yet. It seems to be improving though. Before I could only get about 1Mb in the downtown area now it's up around 5-6Mb.
TBBroadband
Fremont, OH

TBBroadband

They get all the red dots the same as VZW does by claiming that they have the largest network until you zoom in and find a good chunk in a LOT of areas is roaming.

Winski
@cox.net

Winski

Anon

T-Mumble Propoganda

For UNLOCKED IPHONE users in the MAJORITY OF Southern California, THIS ADVERTISING/MARKETING IS A LIE.

I tested it TODAY, with the help of T-Mumble technician (person on the towers), and the very best we could get, with LIMITED RANGE FROM THE CELL OR TOWER (approx. 1/2 mi. from the cell) was 11.5 Mbps down, 4.0 Mbps up. That's to T-Mumble hosted servers....

Sorry the rest of you humble iPhone users... Magenta is STILL a joke.

•••