spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2012-12-20 08:57:30: A Washington DC area man has sued Comcast for what he alleges was a company error that resulted in him being over-billed to the tune of $26,000. ..

page: 1 · 2 · next

spewak
R.I.P Dadkins
Premium
join:2001-08-07
Elk Grove, CA
kudos:1

He got

Comcastified!

psiu

join:2004-01-20
Farmington, MI
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse

good luck but...

not sure it will go anywhere. The loan (refinancing) could be considered an optional choice he made. Part of that process would be checking your own credit. I dunno. I trust Comcast about as far as I can throw a multibillion dollar corporation

And I DID get a receipt when we returned their modem and went customer-owned.

microphone
Premium
join:2009-04-29
Parkville, MD

A completely reasonable suit

Mr HImmelstein tried, in good faith, to resolve any billing issues with Comcast only to get completely screwed by them. I really hope he wins.

battleop

join:2005-09-28

Why is it so hard to report the facts?

Where in the linked story does it say there was a $26,000 Error? It's more like Citibank charged him a higher interest rate meaning if he pays his loan out then it would cost him an extra $26,000. FTA it says it was an extra 1% on his loan.

I do hope the guy wins something for his troubles because of Comcast's mistake.
--
I do not, have not, and will not work for AT&T/Comcast/Verizon/Charter or similar sized company.

buddahbless

join:2005-03-21
Premium

Sue them for......

If I was in his shoes I'd see what DC has on "defamation of character" and attempt to hit comcast with that as part of my suit.

aaronwt
Premium
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA

If he would have monitored his credit...

he would not have run into these issues.

I use the monitoring service that AMEX offers. If there are any changes or inquires, it is reported to me in seconds by by text to my cell phone.

He really has no one to blame but himself for his issues. I have no idea how you go two years without checking your credit report. That is crazy. I've been monitoring mine for decades. Although now monitoring is the easiest it's ever been since you can get instant notification when anything pops up.

SteveLV702
Premium
join:2004-04-22
Las Vegas, NV

Same Problem

I had same problem but with Cox Communication and me the reported it to 2 different collection companies so its under my credit report twice with two different companies... Which I thought that in itself was illegal.

Maybe I should get sue happy too

buddahbless

Premium
Reviews:
·AT&T DSL Service
reply to battleop

Re: Why is it so hard to report the facts?

I'll give you that its only 1% but $26K is still a lot to have to pay out for a $138 mistake that you did not cause. Especially If you dont already have the means for paying the extra. I look iat it this way Thats a brand new car when he retires or a nice nest egg for retirement investments, Actually that could buy you a condo or 2-3 bedroom small house in some parts of retirementville Florida.

exocet_cm
Free at last, free at last
Premium
join:2003-03-23
New Orleans, LA
kudos:3

1 recommendation

Similar issue

With a local hospital but not to that amount. The collection agency was so vague when they called I opened up an investigation at work into the caller thinking they were an identify theft ring. Half way through I learned of the mistake by the hospital. Suddenly they are reversing charges, sending letters, and bending over backwards to "correct the computer issue."

Jerks. I hope he wins.
--
"I have measured out my life with coffee spoons..." - T.S Eliot
"I have often regretted my speech, never my silence." - Publilius Syrus
Ma blog: »www.johndball.com

battleop

reply to buddahbless

Does no one RTFA? It was not a $138 mistake, that's the credit that Comcast owed the customer. The dispute was over the returned modem. The guy returned it and some how Comcast didn't record that correctly so they reported to the credit agencies that he owed them $220.

Comcast is in the wrong here but so is DSLR for an inaccurate report.
--
I do not, have not, and will not work for AT&T/Comcast/Verizon/Charter or similar sized company.

buddahbless

Premium
Reviews:
·AT&T DSL Service
reply to aaronwt

Re: If he would have monitored his credit...

None the less not many actually signs up for those extra services as its just an extra bill to pay monthly most Americans only check there credit once a year at best ( I remember a report I read said only 20-30% check it more than once a year) I check my credit once a yr for free and from that point on I think nothing of it, I rather use cash or debit cards when possible so only need credit/ credit checks for when making huge purchases, eg. house, car, boat, etc ...

buddahbless

Premium
reply to battleop

Sorry Meant to say $220 mistake.. and that is as-is. The mistake was them saying he owed $220 and then that amount resulted in collections and a scar on his credit.

I'll agree comcast is wrong... period. DSLR somewhat...

buddahbless

Premium
Reviews:
·AT&T DSL Service

1 recommendation

reply to exocet_cm

Re: Similar issue

This is the way it should be done, companies should voluntarily bend over backwards when they make a mistake. Comcast should have contacted Citi ( which we know they can do) and solved the issues for this gentleman, and if Citi does not budge comcast should eat the $26k difference.

exocet_cm
Free at last, free at last
Premium
join:2003-03-23
New Orleans, LA
kudos:3

1 recommendation

said by buddahbless:

This is the way it should be done, companies should voluntarily bend over backwards when they make a mistake. Comcast should have contacted Citi ( which we know they can do) and solved the issues for this gentleman, and if Citi does not budge comcast should eat the $26k difference.

I agree buddahbless See Profile.

This type of "going out of the way" to correct issues should be the norm when somebody makes a mistake. The press, lawyers, courts, shouldn't have to get involved unless there is gross negligence and an unwillingness to help. Getting those parties involved should never happen though because the company should correct the issue before hand.

People don't care about people anymore. This is why we have so many "people problems" in numerous areas.
--
"I have measured out my life with coffee spoons..." - T.S Eliot
"I have often regretted my speech, never my silence." - Publilius Syrus
Ma blog: »www.johndball.com

David
I start new work on
Premium,VIP
join:2002-05-30
Granite City, IL
kudos:101

I am with the guy...

Comcast should have to pay up.

battleop

reply to psiu

Re: good luck but...

Seems like it would have been smarter to get things cleared up then proceed with a loan.

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast

Always get a receipt

Always return equipment to a service center and get a receipt. I once returned a modem (when the cable was in another person's name) years ago only to have Comcast loss prevention show up looking for an unreturned modem.

As for the guy, I think Comcast should settle this one.

As for debt collectors, you do have rights (and I have done this before) is you send the debt collector a certified letter return receipt requested requesting that the debt collector obtain verification of the debt from the original creditor.

Mr Matt

join:2008-01-29
Eustis, FL
Reviews:
·Millenicom
·Embarq Now Centu..
·Comcast
·CenturyLink

Does Marc still have service with Comcast?

If Marc still has service with Comcast, Comcast will probably try to require Marc to follow the binding arbitration clause in his TOS. On the other hand since Marc was no longer a Comcast customer, when Comcast negligently reported that he made a late payment, after he closed his account, Comcast's mouthpieces might have a hard time enforcing the TOS and forcing binding arbitration in this matter.

jc100

join:2002-04-10
reply to psiu

A company is lawfully responsible for messing up your credit if done so in error. He stands a good chance of winning if he kept ample documentation and took action to try and correct the problem.

Are you saying he should put his life on hold indefinitely until Comcast came to their senses? He'd be an old man or dead by then. Comcast is lucky he isn't suing for exponentially more as a result of the falsely reported debt and damage done to his credit.

Skippy25

join:2000-09-13
Hazelwood, MO
reply to battleop

Yes, because all of our lives just stop and revolve around companies like Comcast.

moonpuppy

join:2000-08-21
Glen Burnie, MD
reply to exocet_cm

Re: Similar issue

said by exocet_cm:

People don't care about people anymore. This is why we have so many "people problems" in numerous areas.

And why should Comcast care? They don't and never will until the repercussions as greater than the savings they have by not providing the customer service they should.

I would love to hear Comcast's excuse for this. It would probably be along the lines of, "We understand why the customer is upset and we sympathize with him. That being said, we should not be held responsible for credit issues. We will work with the customer to clear up any misunderstanding." Translation; "We hope he forgets this happened and we will do our best not to lift a finger."

In my opinion, the $26,000 extra this customer had to pay for a bad report on his credit rating and the other fees Comcast imposed should be just the beginning. Punitive damages should also be awarded since somewhere along the line, a CSR lied about any fixes they did or should have done. If I were a judge hearing this case, I would love to hear from the CSRs involved about how their managers told them to BS the customer as a matter of policy.

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast
reply to Mr Matt

Re: Does Marc still have service with Comcast?

There is an opt-out clause in their arbitration agreement that you can do so within so many days of receiving the agreement.

I suspect they have this mechanism to comply with the various franchise agreements of the jurisdictions they deal with. I know in Iowa, a landlord cannot enforce a waiver of jury trial in rental housing (I saw this on housing paperwork years ago).

battleop

reply to Skippy25

Not every mistake is a winning lottery ticket either.

PhoenixDown
FIOS is Awesome
Premium
join:2003-06-08
Fresh Meadows, NY

1 recommendation

Credit ratings are a sham

It's not even funny

jc100

join:2002-04-10
reply to aaronwt

Re: If he would have monitored his credit...

aarowt,

A company is still liable for tarnishing your credit wrongfully. If he kept good record, the burden falls upon Comcast to have properly credited his account. He isn't responsible for Comcast's negligence in marring his credit score, improperly applying credits, and failing to account for the equipment. Just because he didn't check his credit score regularly, doesn't mean he didn't take appropriate action.

From the sound of the story, he made multiple attempts to rectify the problem. Comcast failed time and time again. Simple.

bn1221

join:2009-04-29
Cortland, NY
reply to aaronwt

If companies weren't dufas we wouldn't have to track our rating though

nasadude

join:2001-10-05
Rockville, MD

1 recommendation

reply to spewak

Re: He got

no, he went to Xfinity and beyond.

DeathK
Premium
join:2002-06-16
Cincinnati, OH
reply to battleop

said by battleop:

but so is DSLR for an inaccurate report.

It's not really inaccurate. You just need to read the story to find out what the $26,000 error was. In this case the error was with his credit rating which was screwed up by Comcast's own error. If his credit rating wasn't harmed he wouldn't owe an extra $26,000 on the loan.
--
Photos By Greg Strong

newview
Ex .. Ex .. Exactly
Premium
join:2001-10-01
Parsonsburg, MD
Reviews:
·DIRECTV
·Comcast

Typical Comcast

They have always been rather cavalier about customer credits and modem returns, except when it benefits THEM.

I actually have my Comcast modem return receipt framed on my computer room wall. I've had to take it down TWICE over the years and bring it to the local Comcast office to PROVE that I've returned the old modem.

I hope Comcast eats it here.

FFH
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5

1 edit
reply to DeathK

said by DeathK:

said by battleop:

but so is DSLR for an inaccurate report.

It's not really inaccurate. You just need to read the story to find out what the $26,000 error was. In this case the error was with his credit rating which was screwed up by Comcast's own error. If his credit rating wasn't harmed he wouldn't owe an extra $26,000 on the loan.

He also wouldn't be paying a rate 1% higher if he bothered to get his credit rating squared away before signing for the loan. Comcast doesn't lose this in court. They are on the hook for their error of approx $200 and maybe some lawyers fees, but not for the fact he signed the loan for a higher rate.
--
A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves money from the public treasury.

Merry Christmas »goo.gl/Y2AEF