dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2012-12-21 11:59:13: Verizon has been trying to justify their blocking of Google Wallet on Verizon phones, insisting the app is blocked because Google Wallet uses the "secure element" on devices to store a user's Google ID. ..

page: 1 · 2 · 3 · next

Woody79_00
I run Linux am I still a PC?
Premium Member
join:2004-07-08
united state

Woody79_00

Premium Member

Figures.....

I am so glad i am no longer a Verizon customer...best decision i ever made....I actually think Verizon is worse then ATT and i never thought anyone could be worse then ATT but Verizon is...
Mr Matt
join:2008-01-29
Eustis, FL

Mr Matt

This calls for an increase in lobbying budget.

Net Neutrality circumvention to do list for wireless carriers:
1) Increase lobbing budget.
2) Grease the Palms of Lawmakers for their support.
3) Carriers write laws for corrupt lawmakers to rubber stamp favoring carriers wishes.
4) Corrupt lawmakers push through laws.
5) Problem solved.

SADFASDF
@comcast.net

SADFASDF to Woody79_00

Anon

to Woody79_00

Re: Figures.....

You're deadly wrong! ATT and VZ are the same. It depends on who sucks the most money from consumers like US.
bnceo
join:2007-10-11
Bel Air, MD

bnceo

Carrier Phones Suck - Unlock All The Way

We need to get out of his mentality of getting cheap phones. And then whining when you can't leave your contract. I have started to avoid all this and I will only buy unlocked phones and use them on GSM providers. The nonsense that Verizon has done to a Google device has convinced me that carriers have no business messing with a product. Just be a signal carrier and nothing more. Stop messing with phone technology. It hurts everybody.

So I challenge everyone to stop being attracted by the cheap 2-year contract price and escape these carriers. Go unlock and buy your phone outright.
wkm001
join:2009-12-14

wkm001

Here is my call with a rep just last night.

I also filed an FCC complaint about it.
»soundcloud.com/caseyreco ··· -verizon
bnceo
Bel Air, MD

bnceo to SADFASDF

to SADFASDF

I can use Google Wallet on my unlocked Galaxy Nexus which using an AT&T Sim. Seems to me, in this case, AT&T > Verizon. I can actually buy a GSM phone unlocked and use it on AT&T without so much as calling them. Just pop in the sim and boom. Works.
88615298 (banned)
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

88615298 (banned) to bnceo

to bnceo

Re: Carrier Phones Suck - Unlock All The Way

said by bnceo:

We need to get out of his mentality of getting cheap phones. And then whining when you can't leave your contract. I have started to avoid all this and I will only buy unlocked phones and use them on GSM providers. The nonsense that Verizon has done to a Google device has convinced me that carriers have no business messing with a product. Just be a signal carrier and nothing more. Stop messing with phone technology. It hurts everybody.

So I challenge everyone to stop being attracted by the cheap 2-year contract price and escape these carriers. Go unlock and buy your phone outright.

Awesome except in my area the only GSM provider is at&t. Also once everyone goes all in with LTE then GSM/CMDA won't exists

ArrayList
DevOps
Premium Member
join:2005-03-19
Mullica Hill, NJ

ArrayList to bnceo

Premium Member

to bnceo
uhh, all verizon phones are locked.

jseymour
join:2009-12-11
Waterford, MI

jseymour

Smartphones: Not So Smart?

The more time I spend in the "smart"phone arena, the more leery of the whole thing I become, and the less-inclined I am to ever have one. Between the escalating costs, poor customer experiences, security concerns and underhanded attempts on the parts of carriers to increase their profits: I'm thinking "smart"phones aren't so smart.

Jim
bnceo
Bel Air, MD

bnceo to 88615298

to 88615298

If you have AT&T in your area, you can use Straight Talk.

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium Member
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ

AVD

Premium Member

secure element

Can different apps access the secure element, or is it exclusive to one app at a time?
bnceo
Bel Air, MD

bnceo to ArrayList

to ArrayList

Which is why I say go GSM. You have some options.

meeeeeeeeee
join:2003-07-13
Newburgh, NY

meeeeeeeeee

So long overdue

For the evil twins to get wapped really really hard upside the head with a 2x4. Some MEANINGFUL fines (not the usual $25K cost of doing business fees they historically get) would be a wonderful attitude adjustment, but since they OWN every politician and half the bureaucrats, we're not likely to see that happen. When will people smarten up and stop electing Party mobsters and vote in truly independent people who will work to change this corrupt system?

ArrayList
DevOps
Premium Member
join:2005-03-19
Mullica Hill, NJ

ArrayList to bnceo

Premium Member

to bnceo

ah, yes. I'm lucky that I live near a metro area and can get decent service on a gsm carrier(I have T-Mobile), but a large portion of the country does not live close to a metro area and cannot do that, therefore they are stuck with the likes of Verizon. It is really unfortunate.
bnceo
Bel Air, MD

bnceo

Which is fine. The priority for those people are different. They like their location a lot more than having an overimposing carrier. Can't fault them for that. Glad I live in the Northeast/Mid-Atlantic to have some options.
Terabit
join:2008-12-19

1 edit

Terabit to Mr Matt

to Mr Matt

Re: This calls for an increase in lobbying budget.

Not to mention, as you can see with Wall Street, credit cards, investment banks, broadband sector, wireless sector, etc etc self-regulation works well. /sarcasm.
Terabit

Terabit to meeeeeeeeee

to meeeeeeeeee

Re: So long overdue

Half the issue the majority of the time is trying to get the (R) side to admit that there is a problem. Heck, we see it first hand on here alone, all the time.
old_wiz_60
join:2005-06-03
Bedford, MA

old_wiz_60 to Mr Matt

to Mr Matt

Absolutely! This true not just for carriers, but for corporations as well. Congress, the SCOTUS, and POTUS are so easy to bribe it's amazing that they pass any consumer friendly legislation at all.

Congressional ethics rule number 1
"Don't get caught."

netwire
Premium Member
join:2001-04-27
Dallas, NC

netwire

Premium Member

rererere

Considering they lied to the FCC and people who have already filed complaints about this I expect them to be in a world of trouble... well, most likely they wont be. But still, I think they need a stern talking to and be forced to allow Google Wallet. Let's face it, Verizon apps normally get a bad rating on Google Market because they're crap. I don't expect this to be any better. Do the world a favor and give their app 1 star so maybe they will give in.
en103
join:2011-05-02

en103 to SADFASDF

to SADFASDF

All carriers / megacorps are evil in their own ways.

AT&T = bad PR / slow buildout / anti competitive
Verizon = anti competitive, monopolistic

For me , VZW (and VZ itself) were horrible to deal with as both a consumer and at a business level.
AT&T isn't great, but has been better to deal with - I just don't like their methods - (eg. throttlegate)
Terabit
join:2008-12-19

1 recommendation

Terabit to old_wiz_60

to old_wiz_60

I think we all saw that when the (R) SCOTUS ruled that a corporation is no different to a living and breathing American.
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd to Terabit

Premium Member

to Terabit
Yes if Hen House watching worked like Corporate America, The Fox Security would lobby that Foxes have as much right to watch hens as people do even though they are known to steal the eggs.

googlef
@distributel.net

googlef to en103

Anon

to en103

google = data logger / sells your information / offshore tax shelter / etc they are all the same

DigitalRain
@openskytelcom.net

DigitalRain

Anon

Ignore copyright laws and nationalize telecommunications...

We the people must take what's ours.
ogun7
join:2005-11-29
Bronx, NY

1 recommendation

ogun7

Google created this monster when it got in bed with Verizon

All the griping and bellyaching is for naught since Google cosigned Verizon's position when it wanted a leg up against iPhone by allowing VZ to dictate development direction of not only Android OS but even phones by its partners in exchange for VZ's 'Droid' marketing dollars. Google even backed off of net-neutrality lobbying positions last year when it drafted along with Verizon provisions to allow carrier to 'self-regulate' and ensure their overlordship of the direction of smartphone development.
nanaki333
join:2010-08-11
Chantilly, VA

nanaki333

i wrote the fcc about this

i described how i went from sprint to verizon, same exact phones... verizon would NOT work. google wallet wasn't even visible in the store. of course, i found a way to get around that, but it's annoying.

i got a response from verizon saying they don't block anything, blah blah blah.
nanaki333

nanaki333 to bnceo

to bnceo

running cn mod, a build.prop modification, and a modified .com file you have to copy in to the system/app folder.... i can run it on my galaxy s3.
Expand your moderator at work

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

I like Verizon Wireless

Verizon Wireless is better in some cities and AT&T is better in others. Verizon has better call quality and they have more cities covered in LTE.

I used to have AT&T and I've had them before the iPhone was born because they had better reception where I live but Verizon caught up and released the iPhone on their network and I switched. My mother initially refused to give up her AT&T phone but she joined my plan when she could join my plan for $30/month for a basic phone.

Stop bashing Verizon. They are a business that is made up of hard working folks that deal everyday with irate customers. I know some of the guys personally at the Holyoke Mall Verizon store and their job can be stressful at times. I requested a certain rep when I bought my iPhone 5 and I do not regret my purchase one bit. Verizon may be more expensive than its competitors but there service is good in my book.

As for the story at hand, my phone does not support NFC and there is not one store at the Holyoke Mall that has NFC terminals. I do use my iPhone to make payments (such as Starbucks and Dunkin Donuts) where they scam a barcode on my phone. I also use mobile barcodes for my loyalty cards (such as CVS and Big Y). I was picking up a prescription the other day and the clerk had a hard time scanning my CVS card on my iPhone. The nice thing about the iPhone is I can do everything on it from ordering prescription refills from the CVS app to programming my DVR with the Xfinity TV app.

meeeeeeeeee
join:2003-07-13
Newburgh, NY

meeeeeeeeee to Terabit

to Terabit

Re: So long overdue

said by Terabit:

Half the issue the majority of the time is trying to get the (R) side to admit that there is a problem. Heck, we see it first hand on here alone, all the time.

Just like the old USSR... The Party is THE PARTY. Until the sheeples learn this, the beatings will continue. We have the MOST corrupt, self serving government in history. WHEN will you learn???!!!
page: 1 · 2 · 3 · next