dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2012-12-26 08:39:37: A hacker recently claimed that he had obtained the private data of some 3 million Verizon Wireless users, though Verizon Wireless has denied the claim in its entirety. ..

David
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
Granite City, IL

David

Premium Member

oooooooooooooooooops

UFail!

SixSpeed
join:2001-12-24
USA

SixSpeed

No - he/she won. It was all a scam to begin with.

Notice this?

According to the hacker, he had posted just 10% of the records online (which I noticed at the time you had to pay to download) and would post more later.
watice
join:2008-11-01
New York, NY

watice

OK

So because it's FIOS customer data as opposed to Wireless customer data it's ok? Still wondering what was in the actual data leaked.

DataBreach
@edgewebhosting.net

DataBreach

Anon

The reported file was removed from PasteBin but you can view the data here: »anonfiles.com/file/300aa ··· 7577bd0a per »www.cyberwarnews.info/20 ··· -breach/

Mahalo
join:2000-12-20
united state

Mahalo to watice

to watice
»Re: ZDNet: Hacker nabs 3m Verizon customer records

More Fiber
MVM
join:2005-09-26
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber

MVM

So how was this not a hack if cust recs were made public?

So making 346,000 FIOS customer records public was not a hack?

If VZ servers (or their agents) weren't hacked, why does VZ acknowledge that affected customers and law enforcement were notified?

The hackers claims are indeed exaggerated. He claims that what was posted was 10% of what he hacked. FIOS does not have 3.4 million customers in PA and DE, so that claim is bogus. He also claims the file contains passwords, which it does not.
tmc8080
join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY

tmc8080

priorities...

when a company like Verizon tries to become more like AT&T, they get EXACTLY what they had coming for a long time....

you, the customer are very low on the totem pole.. Verizon's profits are their TOP priority.

David
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
Granite City, IL

David to SixSpeed

Premium Member

to SixSpeed

Re: oooooooooooooooooops

I don't think he won..... claiming to have hacked to something that was public a while back isn't a hack.

I could think of several things to call it... ponzi scheme seems to be appropriate.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS to More Fiber

MVM

to More Fiber

Re: So how was this not a hack if cust recs were made public?

said by More Fiber:

So making 346,000 FIOS customer records public was not a hack?
claims the file contains passwords, which it does not.

Making the records public is not a "hack", it is just publication of the records. Obtaining the records from, Verizon servers is a hack, but that was done well before one @TibitXimer claimed to have hacked Verizon. Nearly as I can tell, this @TibitXimer was trying to claim credit for somebody else's hack.