dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2012-12-26 09:56:28: Dish will celebrate the new year by raising rates on most of the company's TV packages by $5 to $15 a month. ..

brianiscool
join:2000-08-16
Tampa, FL

2 edits

brianiscool

Happy Holidays To All!

How else are they paying for the discount prices for new customers?
Aranarth
join:2011-11-04
Stanwood, MI

Aranarth

Re: Happy Holidays To All!

LOL

nonamesleft
join:2011-11-07
Manitowoc, WI

nonamesleft

Top 120 plus is more then 5

120 plus jumped 10 bucks! Probably due to sports.

MuDvAyNe
Premium Member
join:2002-03-02
Brooklyn, NY

MuDvAyNe

Premium Member

Re: Top 120 plus is more then 5

said by nonamesleft:

What sports? Dish doesn't carry any RSN in NY. What a joke of a company.

nonamesleft
join:2011-11-07
Manitowoc, WI

nonamesleft

said by MuDvAyNe:

said by nonamesleft:

I don't know, I don't watch that crap. It's probably because of those 26 espn's.

tc1uscg
join:2005-03-09
Gulfport, MS

tc1uscg

said by nonamesleft:

said by MuDvAyNe:

said by nonamesleft:

I don't know, I don't watch that crap. It's probably because of those 26 espn's.

Or all those "wonder bra" channels. I hear the show, "mom is 53 but looks 13" is back for a 2nd season.
decifal7
join:2007-03-10
Bon Aqua, TN

decifal7

ever

Ever wonder where it will all stop? Stuff can't seriously just keep increasing.. I'm getting ready to just hammer the library for entertainment if things keep on this trend man...

n2jtx
join:2001-01-13
Glen Head, NY

1 recommendation

n2jtx

Re: ever

said by decifal7:

Ever wonder where it will all stop? Stuff can't seriously just keep increasing..

It will keep increasing until people, in significant numbers, start being serious and cutting the cord. In the meantime, I have not problem with the industry trying to extract as much money from customers as possible. That is the way the market works. If you do not like the price of something, then don't buy it. Eventually the supplier will have to lower prices or go out of business. Obviously there is still plenty of room to raise prices since customers are still paying.

Frankly, nobody "needs" subscription television. They "want" it. I remember an old saying that went along the lines; invent something people need and you will make a decent living. Invent something people want and you will have riches beyond your dreams.

AnonPerson
join:2000-08-26
Lexington, KY

AnonPerson to decifal7

to decifal7
In reality, constant price hikes across the board are only going to help people realize how easy and efficient piracy is.

tc1uscg
Gulfport, MS

tc1uscg

Bingo!
serge87
join:2009-11-29
New York

serge87 to AnonPerson

to AnonPerson
said by AnonPerson:

In reality, constant price hikes across the board are only going to help people realize how easy and efficient piracy is.

ding ding ding! winner!

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium Member
join:2000-08-05
united state

Snakeoil to decifal7

Premium Member

to decifal7
said by decifal7:

Ever wonder where it will all stop? Stuff can't seriously just keep increasing.. I'm getting ready to just hammer the library for entertainment if things keep on this trend man...

Turn down your pay raise. Employees like pay raises. Where do companies get the extra money for pay raises? Through price hikes.

Also consider Dish had to settle with AMC, and Pay what ever they paid Fox.
Which also leads to a price hike.
It's a never ending cycle.
big_e
join:2011-03-05

big_e

How many employees these days get automatic 5-6% pay raises per year? How many employees can unilaterally decide raise their own pay? Not many these days... Groups of employees that have such pay arrangements are considered by the right wing of this country to be parasites and have been targeted for elimination. However, when a corporation does the same thing its lassie fair capitalism at its finest.
15444104 (banned)
join:2012-06-11

15444104 (banned)

Exactly.

What we are seeing here is UNfettered GREED, nothing else.

Not only that I agree with the other poster that mentioned that for the price of pay tv there is almost NOTHING worthwhile on it for the money anymore. Yet the prices keep going up, while the programming quality keeps going down, and the number of ads is increasing during the program time.

I've had enough a couple of years ago and cut the cord.

Now my internet provider is trying to goose me on my internet cost. Even though I was happy with a lower speed tier they won't offer it anymore so they expect me to pay higher prices for higher speeds I don't want or NEED.

Next up I'll be getting rid of my internet subscription as well.

These companies think people are so addicted to pay tv and internet that they will empty their pockets to keep it.

I'll be happy to prove them wrong, when the prices get unreasonable I walk.

cdru
Go Colts
MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN

cdru

MVM

said by 15444104:

What we are seeing here is UNfettered GREED, nothing else.

Welcome to capitalism, the free market, human nature...take your pick.

Consumer goods and services in a free market society that is not under a monopoly will naturally find a balance between what companies need to charge to cover their costs and make a profit, and what consumers are willing to pay.

I'll be happy to prove them wrong, when the prices get unreasonable I walk.

So, with that logic since you presumably aren't walking now after this raise, then you find the price not unreasonable. Interesting.
Expand your moderator at work

jmn1207
Premium Member
join:2000-07-19
Sterling, VA

jmn1207 to Snakeoil

Premium Member

to Snakeoil
I would hope that the employee is evaluated and if determined to be eligible for any kind of raise that it would be justified as the employee's work and experience should be more valuable to the company. If the employee is not more efficient at what they do or if they cannot improve the results for the company, changes should be made, but a pay raise should not be one of them.

Blame the ridiculous spending by our government that is creating a crazy rate of inflation most of our salaries cannot hope to keep pace with in the long run. There are plenty of sacrifices that I am willing to make, but it starts with a cornucopia of programs that should never have been funded in the first place. A little short-sighted relief is going to ruin this economy for good.

ITALIAN926
join:2003-08-16

ITALIAN926 to decifal7

to decifal7
The first people to complain about price increases are the ones screaming at the providers to NOT DROP CHANNELS when theres a carriage fee dispute.

hypocrites
@comcast.net

hypocrites

Anon

said by ITALIAN926:

The first people to complain about price increases are the ones screaming at the providers to NOT DROP CHANNELS when theres a carriage fee dispute.

+1
decifal7
join:2007-03-10
Bon Aqua, TN

1 edit

decifal7 to ITALIAN926

to ITALIAN926
said by ITALIAN926:

I would rather drop all but a few channels that I actually watch thank you very much.. Could careless for opras crappy programming, all of the espns, bet, vh1 mtv1 and 2 and many more... But because some of "you" want them we all have to have em..

See how that blame game works?

Its not like have alot of options to chose from.. directv, or dish for the most of us... Whoopie, wow at the competition

tc1uscg
Gulfport, MS

tc1uscg to decifal7

to decifal7
On that note.. I did some shopping around. Seems it's not the content that drives up the price, it's the equipment. They have made it where people have to have thier equipment to watch anything so they keep raising the price of DVR's, multi room service, service agreements, blah blah blah. Doesn't matter if it's Cable or Sat. They ALL do it.

Joe4
@comcast.net

Joe4

Anon

Eventually, they'll have to just whitelist an IP address for premium 'channels' or services and then get rid of the boxes. This will happen about the same time that all TV's can connect to NetFlix right out of the box just by entering your account info.
sphinxguy18
Premium Member
join:2008-01-13
Dallas, TX

sphinxguy18

Premium Member

Prices Hikes

And they all don't want to believe people 'cutting the cord' and going Internet Only OR they complain people are doing that. Well people, you are pushing people to that, not everyone can afford a $200/month Internet/TV bill.
elray
join:2000-12-16
Santa Monica, CA

elray

Re: Prices Hikes

said by sphinxguy18:

And they all don't want to believe people 'cutting the cord' and going Internet Only OR they complain people are doing that. Well people, you are pushing people to that, not everyone can afford a $200/month Internet/TV bill.

It isn't disbelief, it is cold data. They're well aware of how many are, or are not, subscribing, and what the trend is.

The bulk of American households are not going to cord-cut, nor are they paying $200/month, but they actually could afford to. Those who truly "can't", do have lower-cost options available.

People will complain, but they won't change their habits.
Pay-TV fills a void.

kdwycha
join:2003-01-30
Ruskin, FL

kdwycha

Well....

You can blame it on the broadcasters not the cable/satellite industry. If you look at networks like Time Warner Sports Net which request on average 4 dollars per subscriber, PAC12 etc. Also look at the local broadcasters renewing contracts with cable/satellite providers with 300% price increases.

The company is not going to just eat this in profits and must pass this on to consumers.

You need to complain to your elected officials to stop the broadcasters stronghold on the industry, offer alacarte options and not bundle a bunch of crappy low rated channels together with huge price increases.

cdru
Go Colts
MVM
Fort Wayne, IN

cdru

MVM

Re: Well....

said by kdwycha:

You can blame it on the broadcasters not the cable/satellite industry.

And why do the broadcasters need the money? Oh that's right, to produce the content that people (granted not every subscriber in every case) demand. It's a never ending cycle.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170

skeechan

Premium Member

Someone has to pay for AMC

Joy your 30 hours of decent programming a year.

kdwycha
join:2003-01-30
Ruskin, FL

kdwycha

Re: Someone has to pay for AMC

said by skeechan:

said by skeechan:

Yeah but you cant just purchase AMC because AMC Networks requires providers to buy the bundle which include AMC, IFC, Sundance, and WE. I mean how many reruns of Roseanne can one watch, seems that is on WE 24/7. Pointless.

linicx
Caveat Emptor
Premium Member
join:2002-12-03
United State

linicx

Premium Member

I remember when I had the Big Dish. Bundles or ala carte was offered. ESPN was $2, CNN $1. I took a bundle plus all HBO channels for $25/mo. The OTA channels included news from Germany, music from the Caribbean and Canadian TV. If Dish did this they would make a ton of money. I would much rather pay for what I watch rather than for shorter view time and piggy back infomercials. I'll probably drop it rather than considereing expanding it.
amungus
Premium Member
join:2004-11-26
America

amungus

Premium Member

Believe it or not, Charlie (CEO of Dish/Echostar) got his start selling big dishes "back in the day."

Even with all the "choice" on Dish, they can only un-bundle some things. They would absolutely offer more choice if they could.

linicx
Caveat Emptor
Premium Member
United State

linicx

Premium Member

I don't see anything unbundled I want. The offer some odd bundles with channels like RFD, but not much else. Plus they shuffle channels too much. Most of the stuff I like is in the Top Tier; it is not worth it! Dish and Direct TV are both pricing themselves out of business.

••••••••••••

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium Member
join:2000-08-05
united state

Snakeoil to linicx

Premium Member

to linicx
said by linicx:

I remember when I had the Big Dish. Bundles or ala carte was offered. ESPN was $2, CNN $1. I took a bundle plus all HBO channels for $25/mo. The OTA channels included news from Germany, music from the Caribbean and Canadian TV. If Dish did this they would make a ton of money. I would much rather pay for what I watch rather than for shorter view time and piggy back infomercials. I'll probably drop it rather than considering expanding it.

Much of the limited stuff dish/any provider offers is because of deals with content providers and the government.
I recall from when I first joined Dish, you could select what network feeds you wanted. East, central, or west coat. We'd go east and west. That way we could VCR shows that had time conflicts in one region.
Then the local affiliates complained, as well as local businesses, that they were being cut out of loop. Because At the time, Dish only carried the "Network feeds, and not the local stations.
So Dish had to kill the regional feeds, and went to local feeds. So the local affiliates wouldn't miss out on advertising dollars, and local businesses could market to the local viewers.

I remember going to my in-laws house. He had a big satellite dish. It was interesting to watch different stations from all over the world. I was surprised to see how prudish American TV actually is, when compared to Italian, French, or Japanese programing. And we are supposed to be "Land of the free"

I would love to have a system like that, but on a mini-dish. But then that is where the internet comes in.

•••

cdru
Go Colts
MVM
Fort Wayne, IN

cdru to linicx

MVM

to linicx
said by linicx:

I remember when I had the Big Dish. Bundles or ala carte was offered. ESPN was $2, CNN $1. I took a bundle plus all HBO channels for $25/mo.

And gas was $.25 a gallon, a loaf a bread was $.05, you walked to school barefoot, in the snow, uphill both directions and you liked it.

Comparing BUD programming prices from yesteryear to today's prices is comparing apples to oranges.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170

skeechan

Premium Member

Yes but the school was on a dock and started at high tide and ended at low tide.
skeechan

skeechan to kdwycha

Premium Member

to kdwycha
It's like USA becoming the NCIS rerun channel.

linicx
Caveat Emptor
Premium Member
United State

linicx to skeechan

Premium Member

to skeechan
BTW, my kids live in LA and SoCal. They didn't think a $100 ea for a breakfast buffet, or a $1000 for dinner was a big deal.

Thanks
@rr.com

Thanks

Anon

More money less options...

So has anyone else noticed, less guide options (the guide sucks now) & you can't watch a show & record all midshow if you decide to.
brianiscool
join:2000-08-16
Tampa, FL

brianiscool

Dish

I have Verzion FIOS and always tempted to go DISH just to try it out. The prices scare me away though.
nowayout
join:2009-06-22
Allentown, PA

nowayout

Dish, tell us the story again about how you fought AMC to keep prices low.

Lip service lie.

jjoshua
Premium Member
join:2001-06-01
Scotch Plains, NJ

1 recommendation

jjoshua

Premium Member

Why does it suddenly cost $1 more to rent a DVR that is already in your house? It's not like the cost of that DVR went up.

Sarick
It's Only Logical
Premium Member
join:2003-06-03
USA

Sarick

Premium Member

Re: I don't understand

I always thought this was pure ripoff. You pay for the channels, You RENT the receiver player, You pay insurance on the rented receiver. they add a DVR fee on top of that?

The DVR fee is is a scam because the hardware DVR cost them nothing extra after initial development cost and installation. We pay for the TV guide already so them tacking on extra fees here shows they nickle and dime customers just like the commercials they make with Dish vs Direct TV in them.

Maybe they should look in the mirror.
cybercrime
join:2011-11-23
Honey Brook, PA

cybercrime

think about it all the higher up are getting ready to pull in the extra cash to pay their fair of higher taxes

Sarick
It's Only Logical
Premium Member
join:2003-06-03
USA

Sarick

Premium Member

What about their new LTE network. Sounds to me like they're looking to skim money off DISH customers to build their expensive LTE network. The FCC agreement gave them a limited time to set it up so they need the money NOW.
tmc8080
join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY

tmc8080

cord cutting is not just about a "CABLE" company with an outside physical coax plant on the poles..

there is an increasing amount of free content on the internet which 6 strikes is trying hard to shut down before it steamrolls the cable companies into bankruptcy-- it will make tower records look like a small time flea market merchant who couldn't sell their wares even if they were paying you to take them.
08034016 (banned)
Hallo lisa Aus Amerika
join:2001-08-31
Byron, GA

08034016 (banned)

Some of you have to understand the channels that you watch if any of them FOX CNN ETC want a increase through dish network/Directv for them to carry it this is passed on to you.

So when will the Consumers say enough is Enough? they will never do this you could pay $120 them it goes to $200? $300 will you have enough then i doubt it.

••••

Bill Neilson
Premium Member
join:2009-07-08
Alexandria, VA

Bill Neilson

Premium Member

even I am probably if not definitely going to downgrade significantly come the end of my contract with my TV company.

The TV is used in my house almost non-stop in my house due to my wife staying home during the days and me using it at night when I get home...and by both of us during the weekends

And I honestly did not think the day would come where I felt like I was actually being ripped off TV wise.....but I see the total prices of these packages and am blown away.

UVerse gave me a deal as a 1st-time customer that still is in effect for 2 more months but if they think of even remotely charging me anywhere close to what the 'regular' price of my current package is....I would drop down to almost the 'basic' package in a heartbeat.

Cable companies have done a solid job in the last year, imo, expanding more to other devices and whatnot but they better watch their package prices, imo.

Neon
@66.170.252.x

Neon

Anon

DISH locked in its basic programming prices two years ago. Costs have gone up and shareholders demand a return. Hardly the evil empire some try to make it out to be. Business 101.