spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2012-12-26 14:18:33: As expected, Verizon and RedBox have launched the closed beta for their upcoming streaming video service. ..

JBT

join:2002-12-06
Tucson, AZ

Anyone try this out yet? or have access code?

Sounds interesting. I have Netflix, and am an Amazon Prime member, but wouldn't mind seeing what other content this gets.

foo

join:2007-06-28
Chicago, IL

what about Android

What about an app for the Google Play Store(Android)?

Gr

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS

Nice Pricing.

or streaming & four physical DVD rentals for $8 a month.

I've always liked their Bluray selection at the boxes themselves so being to stream and pick up a disc or four a month for a flat fee is definitely tempting!
--
♬ Dragon of good fortune struggles with the trickster Fox ♬

Cheese
Premium
join:2003-10-26
Naples, FL
kudos:1
reply to foo

Re: what about Android

said by foo:

What about an app for the Google Play Store(Android)?

Gr

There is, but if you rooted, forget it, won't run

pende_tim
Premium
join:2004-01-04
Andover, NJ

Access Code????

I gave them my email but all I got was a response that they "have made a new friend". Did not see any "code" in the email.
--
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.

elefante72

join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY

1 recommendation

reply to darcilicious

Re: Nice Pricing.

For now. Remember the old Blockbuster bait and switch. It will happen. I hear bluray will be a $1/day upgrade and it is not flat price. The "token" is only good for a one-day rental, I also hear.

No final clarification, but I'm assuming after the 1 day you have to pay the regular overage fee, and can't use the rental tokens to absorb the overages, it's just for the first day for the 4 rentals only and SD DVD.

So say you rent "Home Alone SD DVD" (Joking) 1st day uses up 1 of the 4 rental tokens. You return it day two, you have to fork over $1.20+tax. Still not obnoxious like blockbuster.

If you want to watch "Home alone Bluray" that is where it gets a little murky, but guess: $1 day 1 + $1.50 for day 2 (plus you get a token used).

Token value (day 1):

So rentals for DVD ~ $1.20
Rentals for blu-ray ~$0.50

Now if they allow you to use these 4 rentals (highly doubt it) for 4 days and not 4 rentals then this is potentially more valuable.

Darknessfall
Premium
join:2012-08-17
kudos:6
reply to pende_tim

Re: Access Code????

I signed up for updates a couple weeks ago and haven't gotten a code email yet.

norbert26
Premium
join:2010-08-10
Warwick, RI
same here never got an access code just we made a new friend. then something about it would be a few weeks.

pende_tim
Premium
join:2004-01-04
Andover, NJ
reply to Darknessfall
Bummer. So they just basically harvested a bunch of e-mail addresses they can send "related information" to Advertise the service.
--
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.

sillyshydq

join:2012-05-15

boo

I entered in by email(s) and all I get are a bunch of emails with just a free 1 night dvd bummer.

aaronwt
Premium
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
said by sillyshydq:

I entered in by email(s) and all I get are a bunch of emails with just a free 1 night dvd bummer.

I just used mine as credit toward a BD rental. 32 cents for a BD rental sounds pretty good to me. I just need to pick it up on the way home.

I'm just glad you can finally use the coupon codes online. I never used them before when you had to use them at the Kiosk since I saw no point in going to the kiosk unless I reserved a title. Otherwise, when you get there the title would probabaly be rented already.

SqueeksDad
I Miss Her
Premium
join:2002-09-14
Hyattsville, MD
reply to Cheese

Re: what about Android

said by Cheese:

There is, but if you rooted, forget it, won't run

All you need is OTA Rootkeeper, unroot and then run the program, works for Flixter. I would assume it would work for this. After watching movie, restore root again.
--
Ways to Relieve Stress #10. Make up a language and ask people for directions.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS
reply to elefante72

Re: Nice Pricing.

said by elefante72:

1st day uses up 1 of the 4 rental tokens. You return it day two, you have to fork over $1.20+tax. Still not obnoxious like blockbuster.

I believe that as long as you return by 9p the next day, you're still on "day one", not "day two".

Per their site:

quote:
How long is the rental period?

Your rental period ends at 9:00 p.m. the day after you rent.
--
♬ Dragon of good fortune struggles with the trickster Fox ♬

GLX

join:2000-01-18
Hoboken, NJ

Anyone actually have access to it?

If someone could send me the IP or hostname of the server that you get sent to to get your video content from, it would be greatly appreciated.

ano

@oshean.org
Hacker?

guammike

join:2010-03-30
Two Harbors, MN
reply to JBT

Re: Anyone try this out yet? or have access code?

I have had it for about 2 weeks now. The first thing you'll notice is that on the "streaming" side there are very few titles available, less than 100 I'd say and of those about half are straight to disc "B" horror flix. Second, if you add blu-rays during your "free" month, it ends your free period immediately and bills you $9 plus tax, not the $1 upgrade, and they will not refund this. That isn't too bad because then you have 4 DVD credits and 4 Blu-Ray credits but, and here's the real stinker, if you use your account to reserve discs online NO NEW TITLES WILL EVER APPEAR AVAILABLE. They feed you only low demand and old titles. I proved this today by standing outside 2 kiosks in town and browsed with my Beta account and with the kiosk screen and they are not even close to being similar. I sent tech support an e-mail and got a canned response about not having an established relationship with "the industry". There is apparently a way to use your credits directly at the kiosk but I haven't tried that out. Of the 2 or 3 movies I tried streaming, the picture fits in a box surrounded by black borders on all sides - not letterboxing or pillarboxing - just like a small web vid that can't be resized. I have HuluPlus, Amazon Prime, and NetFlix streaming and RedBox can't compete against any of them on any front. Major disappointment.

Do Not Subscribe To RedBox Instant. They hardly have any movies. The Free Trial Membership with 4 free dvd rentals at a kiosk is tricky. They told me to select a movie and then swipe my card which would recognize my membership and thus not charge me for it. Well they did charge me and then refused to re credit my card. I called to cancel my membership and was told to go the website. I did and viola! their entire website was off line. I had to call my bank and block them charging my card!!!
The Worst Customer Service I Have Ever Encountered From Any Company!!!! Stay Away From RedBox and RedBox Instant...!!