dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2012-12-26 16:32:52: Time Warner Cable, Suddenlink and Charter are all bidding to acquire the Cablevision territories the company nabbed when it itself acquired Bresnan Communications several years ago. ..

WhyBuy
@comcast.net

WhyBuy

Anon

Why did Cablevision buy them in the 1st place

Why did Cablevision buy them 2 yrs ago if they weren't going to keep them. Was it a buy cheap and sell later when prices are up deal? Or did Cablevision relaize they weren't going to make money on those rural customers?

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

tshirt

Premium Member

But low(ish) and sell high(er) It's well outside CV's home territory which makes long term expansion or even hold and mange too
expensive. The other all have adjoining property and area management which makes it good for future growth.
Both cash and trades are probably tempting for CV.
rradina
join:2000-08-08
Chesterfield, MO

rradina to WhyBuy

to WhyBuy
It think Tom Rutledge likes them. He doesn't want to live in Montana (or Missouri) but he must see something in those way out west customers! Of course from a Connecticut perspective, I suppose Missouri is also out there.

TSWYO
Premium Member
join:2003-05-03
Cheyenne, WY

1 edit

TSWYO to WhyBuy

Premium Member

to WhyBuy
Bresnan made decent money, I would have to assume Cablevision made decent money as well. When its CenturyLink or some no-name telco as the competition... They charge a premium.

motorola870
join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX

motorola870

I see TWC trying to take the systems as TWC has some systems in the Rockies (CO) and Idaho and Washington state. Would seem these would expand their coverage in the Northwest as they did with their purchases of Insight and the KY and TN New Wave systems that were former charter areas that were Time Warner Cable in the 90s-early 2000s.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT

Subaru

Premium Member

Wow

I never knew they got rid of them?
tmc8080
join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY

tmc8080

transition

as with many markets cablevision is probably seeing a polarization shift in their subscribership.. either they're taking the bare minimum(bottom two internet tiers) or the high end triple play tiers.. triple play as we know it is often an orphan. it will have to evolve. to do this effectively, investment in the core (home) network will have to be made. without jettisoning other assets outside the core business they will not have the money to transition and compete with Verizon and others in niche markets.

verizon has enough on it's wireless plate right now revenue wise to not really care much about FIOS, so their product evolution will be in response to market demand. it almost seems as if they hired the marketing people over at Apple because "Quantum" branding is little more than lipstick on a pig at prices that make oil envious.

Bill Neilson
Premium Member
join:2009-07-08
Alexandria, VA

Bill Neilson

Premium Member

What? So you mean....Cablevision was FOS

when it said...

"Cablevision’s Chief Operating Officer, Tom Rutledge, will oversee the Bresnan properties.

"Bresnan is a well-managed company that has invested wisely in its operations and has pursued a strategy which is aligned and quite similar to Cablevision's," Rutledge said. "We look forward to building on Bresnan's record by pursuing, among other things, broader deployment of digital voice, the addition of more high-definition television offerings, the expansion of our groundbreaking 'triple play' offer and the rollout of new services that have already shown great promise."

»trib.com/news/state-and- ··· f21.html

jeffro
join:2007-04-20
Cordova, TN

jeffro

Yikes

I pity them if Charter gets them. Besides internet, they're a joke. Now I see why Charter got rid of their social networking help. Free up cash for new markets.