dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2012-12-28 10:27:28: A new pricing guide (pdf) making the rounds indicates that DirecTV is the latest company that plans to ring in the new year with a suite of service rate hikes. According to DirecTV, the average customer bill should go up around 4. ..

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5

Premium Member

Price increases very moderate

Looks to me like these price increases are very moderate.
tkdslr
join:2004-04-24
Pompano Beach, FL

tkdslr

Re: Price increases very moderate

said by FFH5:

Far less than Dish network...

They're increasing prices on nearly all English packages by $5 to $15 a month.. DVR fee is also increasing another $1/mo..

»www.satelliteguys.us/att ··· 55862050
Kamus
join:2011-01-27
El Paso, TX

Kamus to FFH5

to FFH5
said by FFH5:

moderate? that's half a Netflix subscription right there, for no added content.

The only thing i regret is not leaving them earlier than i did.

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium Member
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ

dvd536

Premium Member

Re: Price increases very moderate

said by Kamus:

said by FFH5:

moderate? that's half a Netflix subscription right there, for no added content.

The only thing i regret is not leaving them earlier than i did.

Assuming you don't mind watching bitstarved content. no thanks!!1
dvd536

dvd536 to FFH5

Premium Member

to FFH5
said by FFH5:

uhmmmm. aren't 'grandfathered people' supposed to remain the same?

hardly grandfathered if you're getting a rate hike!

Jon5
Premium Member
join:2001-01-20
Lisle, IL

Jon5

Premium Member

Why is this still news?

Every provider does this every year, sometimes twice a year. Is anyone still surprised by this?
NoHereNoMo
join:2012-12-06

NoHereNoMo

Re: Why is this still news?

No one ever said news had to be surprising, just current (as in "current events").

Beats having a blank page.

fifty nine
join:2002-09-25
Sussex, NJ

fifty nine to Jon5

to Jon5
said by Jon5:

Every provider does this every year, sometimes twice a year. Is anyone still surprised by this?

It's less than my cable company which religiously raises rates by $5 every year or so. I don't know if they are raising this year.

jmn1207
Premium Member
join:2000-07-19
Sterling, VA

jmn1207

Premium Member

Pop!

The heated battles are becoming more prominent between the TV and content providers with each new contract negotiation, and the latest news suggests that some providers are already scrambling to cut costs by dropping channels where they can.

Without any direct consumer control of the market with regards to pricing, and with no regulation in sight, this is going to get ugly and eventually the entire traditional market will collapse upon itself. This is simply not sustainable and the peak has been reached.

I expect the number of cord cutters to dramatically rise as this is the only viable option for an ever increasing sector of the population. That is, unless somebody wants to relinquish some power or take a pay cut.
elefante72
join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY

1 recommendation

elefante72

Re: Pop!

The first provider to create a separate sports tier wins. These sports contracts are way out of control and now more than 50% of your cable bill is going to it.

The problem is that once they do that regular people will be paying $40 a month, and sports folks $160 which is a good thing because we should not be forced to pay.

What will come of that obviously is a two tier system where you have the all in package (like they already do for many sports), and PPV if say you want to watch one game.

This bundling has cause two very perverse issues in our society:

1. TV actors made a "living" in the 80's and commercials were 10 minutes. Now it is not unusual for a 2nd tier TV actor to make $1m per episode and commercials are hovering close to 20 min/hour. Cheap reality TV is like the 40's again with live entertainment TV...

2. Sports in general are now only for the rich. Spend a day at Yankee stadium and watch the hundreds disappear. This is being fueled by local tax breaks, local taxes forced on lodging,etc, and these TV contracts that are way out of control. Now broadcast TV is stuck also, so "free" OTA will disappear. Look at yesterday Comcast wanting to charge $25 for FREE OTA channels. Well you get QVC too

The result of this will eventually be a standoff, and the model will collapse by itself. No government interaction needed. These squabbles are just what the industry needs to piss consumers off.

Cable/Telco have already bet the farm on IPTV and internet. The margins are staggering. Sooner of later their fixed plant costs will allow them to drop cable because they will just be loosing to much money. TWC, Comcast, Cablevision big loosers here unless they figure out how to monetize their networks.

Note: This is probably 5-10 years out. The warning flares are up, this is by no means an emergency.

jmn1207
Premium Member
join:2000-07-19
Sterling, VA

jmn1207

Premium Member

No TV provider has any real option to place sports channels exclusively in their own package. The content providers will simply take their ball and go home if the TV providers do not capitulate to their greedy demands.

Dish Networks, in a recent dispute with AMC, saw thousands of defectors migrate to a competitor. A competitor, no doubt, offering a splendid 2-year contract supported by the existing customers through the regularly scheduled rate hikes on equipment and channel packaging.

Disney will not allow dozens of their channels to be placed on a specialized niche tier when negotiating with the TV providers, and this includes many of the ESPN family of sports channels. So far, the content providers simply need to wait for a while until the TV provider eventually caves. Then we all get to "enjoy" a sizable rate increase in some clever form or another in the near future.

This model can't collapse soon enough. You are right, sports is for the wealthiest elite nowadays, and this is quickly spreading to TV, and not just at the stadiums.
itguy05
join:2005-06-17
Carlisle, PA

itguy05

said by jmn1207:

Dish Networks, in a recent dispute with AMC, saw thousands of defectors migrate to a competitor. A competitor, no doubt, offering a splendid 2-year contract supported by the existing customers through the regularly scheduled rate hikes on equipment and channel packaging.

Disney will not allow dozens of their channels to be placed on a specialized niche tier when negotiating with the TV providers, and this includes many of the ESPN family of sports channels. So far, the content providers simply need to wait for a while until the TV provider eventually caves. Then we all get to "enjoy" a sizable rate increase in some clever form or another in the near future.

Had Dish been smart and looking long term they could have won the war. Yes they lost subscribers in the short term but had they stuck up to AMC they could have been rewarded with lower programming costs and therefore lower rates for their subscribers. And sent fear into the broadcasters. I'm sure there are plenty of households like ours that could care less about AMC as we watch 0 shows in it.

All we need is one smart company to say F-you to these broadcasters. And mean it. Similar to how we need to see 1 or 2 people beat down the RIAA/MPAA and you'll see things get better.

I for one would stay with FIOS if they ditched ESPN/Disney. No kids and we don't watch sports so it would make no difference for us. The only thing we may miss is the ABC/ABC Family but we have a local ABC affiliate so I think we'd be fine there.
88615298 (banned)
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

88615298 (banned)

Listen everyone says the pay TV companies should stand up to the content providers, but when they do like Dish did with AMC looks what happens. these same people that made the demand left Dish for another company that gave into the content providers that paid the higher rates. So what does that tells Dish and any other pay TV provider? That customers don't have your back so why bother trying. if you're going to demand that your pay T provider stand up to the content providers then don't bail on them when you lose channels when they do.

So at the end of the day the reason why Dish's attempt to stand up to the content providers failed is because of the CUSTOMER and so in the end its the CUSTOMERS fault for higher prices.
itguy05
Carlisle, PA

itguy05

said by 88615298:

Listen everyone says the pay TV companies should stand up to the content providers, but when they do like Dish did with AMC looks what happens. these same people that made the demand left Dish for another company that gave into the content providers that paid the higher rates. So what does that tells Dish and any other pay TV provider? That customers don't have your back so why bother trying. if you're going to demand that your pay T provider stand up to the content providers then don't bail on them when you lose channels when they do.

So at the end of the day the reason why Dish's attempt to stand up to the content providers failed is because of the CUSTOMER and so in the end its the CUSTOMERS fault for higher prices.

If I remember, nobody knows what Dish and AMC settled for. As with most of the settlements, the terms are never made public.

Yes, Dish lost customers, but I wonder how long that would have continued after the first couple of weeks. Given ratings of AMC, I'd think not many care about them.

If any of these companies were smart, they would do a Comcast and buy a network. That way they could say "yes we got rid of AMC, but here is XYZ to replace it".

I know I could care less if probably 1/2 of the channels were not there, including AMC, ESPN, and MTV...
88615298 (banned)
West Tenness

88615298 (banned)

said by itguy05:

said by 88615298:

If I remember, nobody knows what Dish and AMC settled for. As with most of the settlements, the terms are never made public.

Yes, Dish lost customers, but I wonder how long that would have continued after the first couple of weeks. Given ratings of AMC, I'd think not many care about them.

Couple of weeks? This went on for a few months
itguy05
Carlisle, PA

itguy05

said by 88615298:

Couple of weeks? This went on for a few months

Wow - didn't think it was that long - but a little Googling said it was July - Oct. I still wonder what the defections due to AMC were after the initial wave. In the article I read, it said Dish was about 13% of AMC's viewer base. That is a decent chunk to miss.

It would be interesting to see who gave first and how close the numbers were. Sadly we will never know.

I did find this that it hurt AMC's financials:
»online.wsj.com/article/S ··· 934.html

So maybe playing hardball is in the content deliverer's favor. After all what good is content if your distribution is limited? Not everyone has their TV's hooked up to the Internet and most will not watch shows on their laptops or even tablets.

clevere1
Premium Member
join:2002-01-06
Vancouver, WA

clevere1

Premium Member

Directv

Damn. Another (be it small) price increase ... I guess it's time to start looking for other options. Hell my family only watches a handful of channels anyway (locals + Kids programming is about it)
turnerbrewer
join:2011-11-22

turnerbrewer

Re: Directv

This is why I ditched DirectTV last year. I grew tired of the constant rate hikes. I use a TiVo DVR for over the air networks. I purchase Tv shows thru my Apple TV or Amazon. I watch NFL games locally over the air.
My monthly Tv bill went from $110 dollars a month down to $30 dollars a months....
It is only a matter of time before this business model implodes on itself.

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium Member
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK
Netgear WNDR3700v2
Zoom 5341J

1 recommendation

KrK

Premium Member

No, because 1) They'll blame it all on piracy, and push for more draconian laws, and 2) They'll come in with massive metering and overbilling to shut down competition like Netflix, Amazon, etc

Even if the business model should implode, it will be artificially reinforced with laws and regulations for FORCE people to pay or just become a recluse, period.

spewak
R.I.P Dadkins
Premium Member
join:2001-08-07
Elk Grove, CA
·Consolidated Com..

spewak

Premium Member

said by KrK:

No, because 1) They'll blame it all on piracy, and push for more draconian laws, and 2) They'll come in with massive metering and overbilling to shut down competition like Netflix, Amazon, etc

Even if the business model should implode, it will be artificially reinforced with laws and regulations for FORCE people to pay or just become a recluse, period.

Knocked it out of the park there my friend!
If they don't get us coming financially, they will most certainly get us going legally and unethically!
sandman_1
join:2011-04-23

sandman_1

Standard cable

Just have Time Warner Internet but I was getting standard cable with it. For the longest time, they didn't bother putting a trap on our line for whatever reason so we had what 60 channels or so. Then a month and half ago, they had some guy going through the neighborhood and I guess putting traps on lines with only Internet service customers. They didn't block most of the local OTA stations but they did for whatever reason block the NBC affiliate here which I found strange. If they were attempting to get us to sign up for a plan because we lost all of those channels, they were mistaken to say the least.

Anyway we were rocked about the change for about a day but I have a Winegard MS-2002, with an amp, that I reconnected and pull in around 36 channels OTA. We download the stuff we watched before and have our OTA channels to watch local sports and stuff if need be, only watch a few sports. We are not even missing the crap they had on standard cable and you don't realize how much crap there is until you "unhook". Most of it was terrible reality shows, I would say 90% now on most of the channels I use to watch: Discovery, Natgeo, History, ect..

SpaethCo
Digital Plumber
MVM
join:2001-04-21
Minneapolis, MN

1 recommendation

SpaethCo

MVM

HBO will now be $17.99/mo (up $2)

Congratulations, HBO. You have discovered the price point that will finally motivate me to call up and cancel my subscription to your network.

Jon5
Premium Member
join:2001-01-20
Lisle, IL

Jon5

Premium Member

Re: HBO will now be $17.99/mo (up $2)

$17.99 for one channel? I haven't subscribed to movie channels in probably 15 years but that seems ridiculous.

obeythelaw
Premium Member
join:2003-04-16
Warren, NJ

obeythelaw to SpaethCo

Premium Member

to SpaethCo
That is insane. FOr the last year I have been getting all of the premium movie channels at $6.99 each for 6 months. When they expire I call up and tell them it is too expensive to have all of them and they renew my 6 months "deal." I really don't want any of the "exclusive" shows on those channels. Was keeping them around for the one or two movies that I want to see during the month but it just isn't worth it anymore.

amenite
The Soylent - It's People
Premium Member
join:2002-11-21
Ridgewood, NJ

amenite

Premium Member

Seems like I pick up more full length uncut movies on HDNet than I ever do on HBO, and HDNet is no extra fee with my Fios plan. Also seems like it was around this time last year that I got fed up enough with DirecTV that I bailed. Happy and saving $$ ever since, and this sure is no reason to go back!

cousintim
join:2004-10-10
Dallas, TX

cousintim

In its early years, HBO was $7.95.
88615298 (banned)
West Tenness

88615298 (banned)

said by cousintim:

And if you take inflation into account that would be over $20 a month. No HD, no online access and just one channel.

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium Member
Phoenix, AZ

dvd536 to cousintim

Premium Member

to cousintim
said by cousintim:

for me SUPER CHANNEL 4[aka hbo] was $2.50 a month and there wasn't so many rerun movies like there is now. you're lucky to get 20 different movies a month now!!1
TBBroadband
join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH

TBBroadband to obeythelaw

to obeythelaw
chances are that is for at least 3 HBOs. You don't normally get 1 anymore with Digital cable.
itguy05
Carlisle, PA

itguy05 to SpaethCo

to SpaethCo
said by SpaethCo:

Congratulations, HBO. You have discovered the price point that will finally motivate me to call up and cancel my subscription to your network.

We gave it up after the Sopranos and then when Big Love was done. I'd add it when the shows started and remove it when they were done. Worked well and we would usually be on some promo so it wasn't full price. There is nothing on HBO worth $18/mo.

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium Member
Phoenix, AZ

dvd536 to SpaethCo

Premium Member

to SpaethCo
said by SpaethCo:

you'd think for that much they'd put on more than 20 DIFFERENT movies a month!!1

Bill Neilson
Premium Member
join:2009-07-08
Alexandria, VA

Bill Neilson

Premium Member

I actually loved DirecTV for the many years that I had it

but I really, really wish they stopped re-naming their f'ing packages.

Just stop please.....there is really no other reason to do so many changes other than to want the consumer to be completely confused....which probably means more bang for your buck.

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
join:2001-03-25
US

antdude

Premium Member

Like everything else!

cork1958
Cork
Premium Member
join:2000-02-26

1 recommendation

cork1958

Premium Member

Re: Like everything else!

Yep,
First of the year and EVERYONE will be doing their annual a** reaming!!

Can't wait to see how much Charter decides to rape their customers now with that new, totally ignorant and clueless CEO, they have!!

landry98
join:2001-08-31
Red Stick

landry98

family plan

Comparing channels between the various packages. Can't find Directv's FAMILY package anywhere on their website. Am I missing something?
88615298 (banned)
West Tenness

88615298 (banned)

Re: family plan

After have to use Google I came across this link.

Apparently you have to call to get it.

Is the FAMILY package still available? How do I subscribe to it?

Yes, you can still get the FAMILY package by calling us at 1-888-777-2454. The FAMILY package includes more than 50 channels suitable for viewers of all ages, including local channels (where available), for only $29.99 per month, our everyday low price.

»support.directv.com/app/ ··· to-it%3F

Here's the channel line-up. Mostly kids channels and Jesus channels. Not worth $30 in my book.

»cdn.directv.com/cms2/sup ··· neup.pdf
15444104 (banned)
join:2012-06-11

15444104 (banned)

Charlie and DISH should have stuck it out!

Charlie should have just stuck it out....because he lost a few whining idiots that were going to cry about couple of shows they liked BUT in a years time they will be bitching much more about the increased rate hikes and want to leave anyhow.

Charlie, if you are reading this you need to start holding out and REFUSING to allow for huge increases from these pirates providing the crappy programming.

Even though a few desirable programs might be lost your huge advantage in programming prices will still have many more customers signing up.