spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2012-12-31 15:31:02: In addition to the inevitable (and sometimes bi-annual) increase in Comcast TV prices, the carrier is notifying out-of-contract customers that their broadband service will see a hike starting in the new year. ..

page: 1 · 2 · next
ssavoy
Premium
join:2007-08-16
Dallas, PA

Already went up $2.95

Our bill already went from $59.99 to $62.95 last year. Now it will be going up to (probably) $65 just for internet-only. We already own our own modem.

Time to call and complain.

tshirt
Premium,MVM
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Comcast

Re: Already went up $2.95

said by ssavoy:

...Now it will be going up to (probably) $65 ...
Time to call and complain.

Time to read your ACTUAL bill first, rather then just speculating some amount as "outrageous".
ssavoy
Premium
join:2007-08-16
Dallas, PA

Okay well if it crosses the $62.96 mark I will call them. Of course I will wait until the bill comes.

tshirt
Premium,MVM
Snohomish, WA
Reviews:
·Comcast

you should be able to see it online, about 2 days after your billing date but a number of days before a paper bill will reach you.
notice of service/billing changes are usually on the front page near the address blocks (your address, a remit to: address, and the franchise authority addresses.
You should get at least a 30 day notice.

plencnerb
Premium
join:2000-09-25
Carpentersville, IL
kudos:3

Need to keep in mind what all goes up

At least in my case, my bill went up $7.77. However, it is important to take note on exactly where that $7.77 increase is coming from.

For me, $5.00 of that was an increase in my triple play price. That went from $149.95 to $154.95. The exact wording on my bill for that is "XFINITY Bundled Services(Preferred Xf, which includes: Digital Preferred With Ondemand, Video Equipment, Internet Service,Digital Voice Unlimited)".

$2.00 of that comes from an increase in the price that Comcast will change for the Set Top Box Rentals (for any box above the one free one). In my area, that cost went from $8.99 to $9.99 (increase of $1). Since I have 3 STB's, my bill increased $2 here.

The rest (77 cents) is with increases in taxes and other fees.

Overall, my bill went from $198.56 to $206.33, which is only a 3.91% increase. Sure, any increase can be hard to take, but what needs to be look at is the whole picture. I could have said "My HSI went up $7.77", and I would be incorrect. I don't know the exact breakdown of the $5.00 increase of my triple play, as its not broken down on the bill. But, people need to look at the entire bill, not just the bottom line, so they understand where the actual increase is at.

--Brian
--
============================
--Brian Plencner

E-Mail: CoasterBrian72Cancer@gmail.com
Note: Kill Cancer to Reply via e-mail

cdru
Go Colts
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:7

Re: Need to keep in mind what all goes up

said by plencnerb:

While you're keeping that in mind, don't forget to also remember all those extra channels, services, and features that you're getting for that price increase.

There's...um...uh...let me thing...ah... What did they improve for that increase again?

cork1958
Cork
Premium
join:2000-02-26

said by cdru:

said by plencnerb:

While you're keeping that in mind, don't forget to also remember all those extra channels, services, and features that you're getting for that price increase.

There's...um...uh...let me thing...ah... What did they improve for that increase again?

Yep,
Time for the bi-annual nickel and dimeing. Your last sentence sounds exactly what I'd have to say about Charter also.
--
The Firefox alternative.
»www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/

plencnerb
Premium
join:2000-09-25
Carpentersville, IL
kudos:3

Exactly. For my extra $7.77, I don't see any improvements!
outatyme

join:2006-10-05
Tallahassee, FL

27% price increase! Yay...

My Bill in Tallahassee, FL went from $54.95/mo to $74.95/mo starting 01/2013 for blast! 25/5 service (no cable/voice).
Would be fine with this price if they would push through the 50/10 / 50/15 upgrade but otherwise I cannot see why I am incurring a $20/mo ($240/yr) (27%) price increase....

Subnote: They should also increase the usage cap by a ratio to the provisioned speed... so markets with 50/10 / 50/15 blast should get more cap since they can eat more bandwidth in the same amount of time.

(Forgot to mention, I own my own modem as well)

tshirt
Premium,MVM
Snohomish, WA

Re: 27% price increase! Yay...

since that's not a normal increase, are you changing frome one tier to another? or coming off a promo?
the $74.95 sounds like the new normal stand alone price in most areas, up a couple dollars from the current charge.
outatyme

join:2006-10-05
Tallahassee, FL

No Tier Changes and I was on a promo many months ago $29.95 for 6 months but that had since fallen off over a year ago.

My price then went to $54.95 which was supposed to be the "normal" non promotional pricing for my area....

Then this month it jumped to $74.95 with no notification on the bill...

tshirt
Premium,MVM
Snohomish, WA

then you should call and ask why.
VirtualLarry
Premium
join:2003-08-01

Happened to my friend too. He signed up for $19.99 HSI for six months, was supposed to go to something around $45 or maybe $50-something after that, but his went up to $67/mo. For just 16Mbit/2Mbit internet.

tc1uscg

join:2005-03-09
Saint Clair Shores, MI

1 edit
Comcast, WOW, AT&T, all need to stop with the promo crap. All it does is cause people to complain about costs going up when they come off the promos. I only have CC's HSI. I seen about a 5.00 rise in cost and I have my own modem. Was paying 45.00 a month for the performance tier and rather pay the extra as long as they don't enforce the cap. I hit mine the month of Dec. Kids home from school, 3 ROKU's and I don't even want to count the IP's i handed out to phones/laptops/tablets/ipods. Priced out the same equipment I would need from Comcast to get what I have from Dish and my video service would be over 40.00 a month MORE from CC. I use Magicjack for phone service so for now, my costs are down and I'll keep it that way. I will end up paying more for having no cap then in tv services in a heart beat.

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast

said by tc1uscg:

Comcast, WOW, AT&T, all need to stop with the promo crap. All it does is cause people to complain about costs going up when they come off the promos. I only have CC's HSI. I seen about a 5.00 rise in cost and I have my own modem. Was paying 45.00 a month for the performance tier and rather pay the extra as long as they don't enforce the cap. I hit mine the month of Dec. Kids home from school, 3 ROKU's and I don't even want to count the IP's i handed out to phones/laptops/tablets/ipods. Priced out the same equipment I would need from Comcast to get what I have from Dish and my video service would be over 40.00 a month MORE from CC. I use Magicjack for phone service so for now, my costs are down and I'll keep it that way. I will end up paying more for having no cap then in tv services in a heart beat.

If you buy a triple play bundle, the per service cost is cheaper. I pay $199 per month for the triple play premium bundle that includes whole house DVR on three TVs and the modem rent. I will never do business with Dish again, absolutely horrible customer service (bad enough that they entered into class action settlements with the AGs in 46 states).

tc1uscg

join:2005-03-09
Saint Clair Shores, MI

said by IowaCowboy:

said by tc1uscg:

If you buy a triple play bundle, the per service cost is cheaper. I pay $199 per month for the triple play premium bundle that includes whole house DVR on three TVs and the modem rent. I will never do business with Dish again, absolutely horrible customer service (bad enough that they entered into class action settlements with the AGs in 46 states).

I looked at "tripple play" but I refuse to put all my eggs in one basket. I don't pay ANYTHING at this point for MJ. I pay 72.00 a month with Dish for 2 HD dual tuner DVR's and 1 HD stand alone box. I my only get 250 or so channels but I just recently took CC up on a double play package for current customers and upped my HSI speed to 36down/6up and basic eco digital TV for under 50.00 for 6 months. Then it's only 69 after that. I own my own modem and refuse to pay CC for a phonemodem. When did telco ever charge it's customers a monthly fee for the DMARC box on the side of the house? Back in the say, they use to charge for each phone/jack in the house if a phone was plugged in but that stopped in the 70's. I've not had bad luck with Dish (yet) but I've not had any reasons to call them for any problems and i"m going on 2 years next month. Had one DVR replacement and it was overnighted, ready to go plug and play. I'm lucky I guess.

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
Springfield, MA

My experience with dish was a few years ago (2005), maybe they improved the service since other than they are in a carriage dispute with my favorite TV station (KCRG) in my hometown of Cedar Rapids, IA.

tshirt
Premium,MVM
Snohomish, WA

1 edit
They are trying to standardize pricing
$54.95 would be closer to the multi service price in most markets, not sure why you had it cheaper.
CXM_Splicer
Looking at the bigger picture
Premium
join:2011-08-11
NYC
kudos:2

Of course, another way to standardize pricing is to lower it in the markets where it is high.
elray

join:2000-12-16
Santa Monica, CA
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·EarthLink

said by CXM_Splicer:

Of course, another way to standardize pricing is to lower it in the markets where it is high.

Of course, another way to standardize pricing is to raise it where it is low.
(Ahem: humor alert.)

In your quest to make everything "fair" and "unlimited", you are asking for higher prices overall. MBAs love "fixed" rates.

I don't care for the annual or di-annual contract renegotiations. I thought my ancestors chartered Columbus to find a way to avoid those. But they work to achieve the best prices.

If you can't be bothered to deal every 6-12 months, evidently you can afford to pay more.

We have this quaint device called a "wall calendar", and a "magic marker", which denotes anniversary dates for various agreements. No surprises, except for the firms who receive our pre-emptive "cancellation".
CXM_Splicer
Premium
NYC

said by elray:

Of course, another way to standardize pricing is to raise it where it is low.
(Ahem: humor alert.)

Not sure if you got it or not (I admittedly did not include the alert) but my post was also humorous since raising prices is exactly what they ARE doing.

said by elray:

If you can't be bothered to deal every 6-12 months, evidently you can afford to pay more.

Sorry but ability to pay is not measured by one's desire to do things other than complain to a company that raises rates for nothing (or less) in return.
elray

Santa Monica, CA
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·EarthLink

said by CXM_Splicer:

said by elray:

Sorry but ability to pay is not measured by one's desire to do things other than complain to a company that raises rates for nothing (or less) in return.

Sorry, but ability to pay is absolutely demonstrated by willful ignorance of the regular opportunity to negotiate your best possible deal, then complaining about it.

I've yet to see any carrier that won't negotiate rates, but I get called more than once a month by someone in my extended family to "fix" their out-of-control bills, some of which are broadband, because they're too lazy to pay attention, and/or too scared to demand a better offer.

I'm sure you're willing to walk a picket line to try to better your own position - it works the same way as a consumer. You have to make a stand, or you're going to pay the rack rate, which will go up most of the time.
CXM_Splicer
Premium
NYC

said by elray:

said by CXM_Splicer:

said by elray:

Sorry, but ability to pay is absolutely demonstrated by willful ignorance of the regular opportunity to negotiate your best possible deal, then complaining about it.

So the more money you have the less likely you are to try and negotiate the best possible deal? That sounds counter-intuitaiuve to me, please explain the dynamic of that. I don't know a lot of rich people that would willingly throw money away by choosing not to negotiate.
elray

Santa Monica, CA
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·EarthLink

said by CXM_Splicer:

So the more money you have the less likely you are to try and negotiate the best possible deal? That sounds counter-intuitaiuve to me, please explain the dynamic of that. I don't know a lot of rich people that would willingly throw money away by choosing not to negotiate.

Nice try. Not sure how many "rich" people you actually know - the few that I associate with do, indeed, willingly throw money away on petty expenditures such as cable-broadband - the nominal annual savings aren't worth the effort, time, or headache to them.

I was, however, referring to the average household.

I'll explain it one last time.

If you aren't on a promotional rate, you're leaving a lot of money on the table.

If you are on a promotional rate, and you let it expire, wait three months, then act surprised and complain that your rate "went up", the expense did not affect you, since you had it on "auto-pay" and you don't scrutinize your statements or set alarms for contractual anniversary dates.
CXM_Splicer
Premium
NYC

The more you explain it the more it looks like you are confusing 'Ability to pay' with 'Desire to constantly complain to the ISP'; the two are not related.

"or set alarms for contractual anniversary dates"

Do people really do this? I would suggest that they should get a life. The picture above is a guy who sits and waits for his contracts to expire.
elray

Santa Monica, CA
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·EarthLink

said by CXM_Splicer:

The more you explain it the more it looks like you are confusing 'Ability to pay' with 'Desire to constantly complain to the ISP'; the two are not related.

"or set alarms for contractual anniversary dates"

Do people really do this? I would suggest that they should get a life. The picture above is a guy who sits and waits for his contracts to expire.

There is nothing to confuse.
If your "ability to pay" is limited, you pay scrupulous attention to your bills; you don't ignore them, then rant about them when they increase.

As I've previously stated, I don't relish the annual 30-60 minute ritual of calling the carrier or MSO to save $250/year, but it pays well - we don't sit around, we mark it on the free wall calendar and back it up with a free Google calendar notification and a $.02 SMS message, as we do for other important events, especially those with financial impact.

Does it really bother you to be disciplined and act responsibly?
Paying attention to the balance sheet drives efficiency on both sides of any transaction.
CXM_Splicer
Premium
NYC

No, what bothers me is that companies will raise rates simply because they know many people aren't willing to waste time and aggravation fighting them and going through the inconvenience to switch to another company (assuming there is one). It is simply exploitation of customer's time which has nothing to do with ability to pay.
elray

Santa Monica, CA
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·EarthLink

said by CXM_Splicer:

No, what bothers me is that companies will raise rates simply because they know many people aren't willing to waste time and aggravation fighting them and going through the inconvenience to switch to another company (assuming there is one). It is simply exploitation of customer's time which has nothing to do with ability to pay.

I disagree. If you don't have 30 minutes a year to negotiate your annual contract, then you can afford whatever increase is applied. Where I come from, we call that "lazy" - even as we might agree with some of your sentiment.

You don't have to switch to another company.

Most firms in this country are not charities. They're in business to make a profit. In order to attract capital to invest in the expansion of their network that you and others so often call for, those profits need to be maintained, in a world where costs continue to climb (labor, benefits, taxes, rent, etc). Rate hikes are going to happen.

If the firm applies them in a way that requires customers to be diligent, so what?
There is nothing wrong with that.
CXM_Splicer
Premium
NYC

I agree that many ARE too lazy to bother either keeping track or spend the time negotiating... some are simply too busy. But, you see, this is my point, we are talking about time.

quote:
If you don't have 30 minutes a year to negotiate your annual contract

Here you are talking about time

quote:
then you can afford whatever increase is applied

but here you are talking about money. While I am sure you would cite the age-old cliche that 'Time is money' the two are obviously not equivalent since a person with a lot of time on their hands is not by definition wealthy. And your defense of costs to business going up would carry more weight if they weren't making higher and higher profits each year. In many cases, their costs can be shown to be decreasing (labor, taxes, etc.) They could get by just fine without raising rates, they do it anyway because they know it is a hassle for people to switch.

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
Springfield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast
It could be that you were being undercharged because the $54.95 would be the price if you subscribed to cable TV and/or Comcast Digital Voice. If you buy Internet only, then they will charge more and you were probably getting charged the multi-product rate because of a billing error when you should have been charged the higher HSI only rate. In that case, you can get triple plays starting at $99 in most areas. And with cable TV, you don't go through caps since TV streamed to a Comcast cable box does not count against your cap.
brianiscool

join:2000-08-16
Tampa, FL
kudos:1

Comcast - Good Riddens.

This is another reason why I moved from Miami to Tampa. $384 a month for unlimited 100Mbps on a business line. Tampa 150Mbs $90 a month.

tshirt
Premium,MVM
Snohomish, WA

Not a surprise.

Starting to see a long anticipated shift of pricing/profit to HSI from the video side.

•••

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
Springfield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast

SurePrice customers

I just signed up for a SurePrice promotion that includes a triple play with all the premiums and whole house DVR. $199/month including all the taxes, equipment, and fees.

No commitment but the rate is guaranteed for 1 year with the SurePrice promotion.

It is cheaper to buy a triple play bundle than to buy the services separately. I already subscribe to cable TV and I also have a home phone so it is just better to bundle them.
Madtown
Premium
join:2008-04-26
Madera, CA

Speed Increase in 2013?

So do we get a speed increase for all tiers for 2013?

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
Springfield, MA

Re: Speed Increase in 2013?

Not until they split nodes (which is costly and labor intensive).

Scree
In the pipe 5 by 5

join:2001-04-24
Mount Laurel, NJ

1 recommendation

"This Customer Celebrates New Year With Service Reductions"

Where's that fiscal cliff again? Time to jump! lol

SHoTTa35

@kfvaluation.com

Cablevision Also

Guess everyone jumping on the gravy train. I have Boost+ so my rates wont go up but for basic tier of 15Mbps, it's going up $5 to 54.95 (Unbundled pricing). They mention that this is the first time they've raised rates in about 10yrs (true) so guess we can't complain too much. I've always thought this should be getting cheaper though, not more expensive!

AnonMe

@comcastbusiness.net

Already raised business rates last month

Here in NH, Comcast already raised the published business rates for Starter and Premium by $10/month. They had previously given those tiers very very minor speed increases, I'm sure to justify the price increases.

Haven't seen my bill jump yet, but I'd guess that's just a matter of time.

Morac
Cat god

join:2001-08-30
Riverside, NJ
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast

Jacking up prices

I'm currently under contract till March, but my November bill stated HSI is going up $2 for all tiers and TV is going up $5 for all tiers. The cheapest Triple Play package is now $150 a month.

Isn't being a monopoly great? In my area Comcast and Verizon have teamed up to sell cable/HSI and mobile, so there is zero competition.
--
The Comcast Disney Avatar has been retired.
bemis

join:2008-07-18
Reading, MA
Reviews:
·Comcast

At least Comcast offers promos...

It's $62.95/mo with a $7/mo modem rental...

I'm in a 12-mo promo, my first 6 were $29.95 and now in the last 6 I'm at $44.95...

I own my modem, so no monthly cost there.

I switched away from FIOS because the cost was just too high...

Unfortunately VZ is not running any promos, which means I either stick to 12/2 Comcast for $62.95 or I swap to VZ for $75+ (but at least they're faster and more reliable)

•••••

Eddy120876

join:2009-02-16
Bronx, NY

Time for Comcast

To change their commercial about Fios raising the cost. Since they did the same. Hypocrite much comcast? LOL

Bach
Premium
join:2002-02-16
Flint, MI

Up $3 for internet

Consistent with the announcement in our November bill, HSI went up $3, TV up $5, and DVR up $1.

•••
chgo_man99

join:2010-01-01
San Jose, CA

I have att uverse and need no comcast

For now I get promo $25 for 12mb which cable can't beat. I have had it for almost whole year while comcast would only offer slightly faster at that price range for only 6 months. Plus it rarely goes out, while cable could go out sometimes. So even if I get slower product, I am well satisfied that it works. Plus its convenient my room is already wired with phone jack, so I can have my router close and all my stuff connected by cheap CAT wire. I do not have to run wire through the whole house, invest in multiple wireless adapters and new wireless AP or install cable jack in my room.

orly

@sbcglobal.net

Re: I have att uverse and need no comcast

I just switch between u-verse and comcast for internet, when promo expires, I call and see if they wanna match the current price from the other, if not, I switch.
chgo_man99

join:2010-01-01
San Jose, CA

Re: I have att uverse and need no comcast

even if promo expires and they won't extend it or offer anything, its cheaper with u-verse than cable that imposes mandatory extra fee for active cable if you don't have TV

Scatcatpdx
Fur It Up

join:2007-06-22
Portland, OR

Ho Hum

Prices wen up last time I heard of no increase for Portland Oregon. Anyway I just have interment .... No sweat.
I never seen the need to pay more than 7.00 for Netflix if I want TV.

Someone is sabotaging me.Finding out who
Premium
join:2001-06-03
Kenner, LA

You all should complain

The price seems to always go up.

patriot34

@comcast.net

Re: You all should complain

Until the hidden federal reserve inflation problem is address get used to it across all markets.

Robotics
See You On The Dark Side
Premium
join:2003-10-23
Louisa, VA

I Was Told I am Locked In To A Price

I was put on a promotion for a year, 4 months ago. I was told that price was locked in for a year if I didnt change anything to my services.

So come January's bill, I will be paying $3.00 more a month than what they said my bill would be 4 months ago.

How the hell they get away with that? (I know it isn't just Comcast)

It flat out is wrong. You are told something and agree upon with a yearly contract, and months later they change the contract (far as I'm concerned) Total BS!

Business's get away with so much now a days.
--
Long you live and high you fly, and smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry,
and all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be.
djcrazy
Premium
join:2009-08-05
Minneapolis, MN
Reviews:
·Comcast
·T-Mobile US

Hmmm!

Since I rarely watch any TV at all anymore, I may look into cancelling the TV portion. Will have to see if I can go to chat and talk myself into a deal. It's not that I can't afford it because I can. The problem is that for at least the last couple of years I have questioned whether I need it. The only reason I still have it is because I am too lazy to change it.

In my area the Digital Preferred that I am on will increase from $84.99 to $86.99, with the Blast internet also going up from $58.95 to $61.95. That is a $5 increase ( well, a little more as this increase also raises the BS taxes and fees), which translates to $60 a year assuming they don't hit us again this summer.

Enough of this BS already. Yep. Lack of suitable competition has created this mess for most of us. I don't consider Centurylink dsl competition, especially when the most I can get here is 1.5 meg which is basically the standards of the year 1999. That is pathetic for only being about 10 miles from downtown Minneapolis. Even my Galaxy S 3 on Tmobile 4G does better than that.
HexCalamity

join:2005-03-16
Salem, OR

not surprised

Limited basic tv has gone up to 14 or so with the 2.50 HD tv fee. I don't remember when they raised it from $12.

Fun story with that upgrade when they made me get a box for just basic tv and HD last October (tv signal had been crud for 1-2 months before then). Paid the fee to have the box mailed to me ($15 mail or $17 pickup- at least the phone CS guy was easy to work with) then the box wouldn't show most channels so I had to drive down to the local service store anyway. Who opened 10mins late no less. Combined with some odd wiring issues in my house (previous resident had Dish), the only decent connection for tv is thru hdmi port. All sorts of weak volume and signal issues otherwise. Not much incentive to upgrade my tv service after all that.

Internet seems to be staying put at $51.95 for Performance level. My bill says it goes up to $64.95 from $62 (if you have internet service only).
HexCalamity

join:2005-03-16
Salem, OR

Re: not surprised

So I found an old bill today from 2007. Modem rental was 3.00 and HSI Performance was 42.95. Limited basic was 10.44, now $14 plus HD fee if u want HD.