spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2013-01-02 09:58:00: Despite claims that broadband and piracy have utterly devastated earnings, 2012 wound up being another record-breaking year for Hollywood income. ..

prev page · 1 · 2 · 3

mrherzog

join:2001-05-06
Calgary, AB
reply to TOPDAWG

Re: hmm

Yup yup!! I agree! If it was easier for us canucks to rent/buy digital (FOR A FAIR PRICE!!) downloading wouldn't be such a lure.

rradina

join:2000-08-08
Chesterfield, MO
reply to Simba7

Does the trailer offer anything that can be interpreted as a guarantee of performance suitability? Performance is subjective to each customer and it would be impossible to prove the trailer was misleading when trailers are often deliberately thin to protect the nature of the performance. I suppose you could ask the theater or studio for a refund. Good luck with that.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:11
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to silbaco

Re: Piracy is impacting bluray/dvd/online rental sales....

said by silbaco:

In the digital era, media sales have no valid reason to decline other than piracy.

Oh. So the fact that I don't buy/rent a lot of DVDs has no impact on revenues.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

rradina

join:2000-08-08
Chesterfield, MO
reply to mrherzog

Do Dish and DirecTV offer service in Canada? If so, they offer pay-per-view. It's not USD $1 like RedBox (more like USD $4.99 or $5.99) but it's an option. Cable in the US also has similar PPV or if you are on a modern system, On-Demand rentals. Same price but you can start the movie at any time, pause and rewind.

At one time or another, I have subscribed to both satellite companies and my local cable company. If I started a rental and it turned into a turkey within the first 30 minutes, I have called all three companies and they have given me credit for the movie. I believe I've even had On-Demand automatically delete the rental and not charge me if I start viewing and within a few minutes stop and never finish the movie.

Libraries in the US also allow have DVD selections and members can check them out for free. Are there similar libraries in Canada?

Jason Levine
Premium
join:2001-07-13
USA
reply to Rajmarie

I'd also add 3) More Entertainment Choices For The Consumers' Limited Dollar.

Nowadays, you can buy apps to use on your Smartphone, play some online games, play "classic style" (console or PC) video games, watch movies (both DVD/Blu-Ray and streaming), listen to music (both CD and streaming) and much more. However, there is only so much money to go around so DVD/Blu-Ray sales get a smaller portion of the pie.

Meanwhile, movie execs, seeing sales shrinking instead of always setting record sales levels, immediately proclaim "Piracy!"
--
-Jason Levine

Pirate515
Premium
join:2001-01-22
Brooklyn, NY
reply to Rajmarie

said by Rajmarie :

It's not declining...rather the media sales are not meeting the inflated expectations of the Hollywood. When the DVD boom happened...that was a big & basically unexpected revenue steam for them...but now...couple of things are working against that...1st...people are not to willingly converting their DVDs to BR as they did with VHS to DVD...& 2nd...the economy.

There are a few additional factors to consider here as well:

First, VHS has been around for much longer (15-20 years I think) before DVD came around. Blu-ray came around 5 years after. Many people thought it was too soon, especially after they just laid down some cash to "upgrade" their collections to DVD. And now some titles are also on Blu-ray 3D, only about 2-3 years after Blu-ray, which makes them even less appealing.

Second, there were many benefits to DVD vs. VHS. Smaller, lighter, more durable, much easier to rewind, fast forward and jump between parts of the movie. Other than higher resolution, are there any other benefits to Blu-ray over DVD?

DVD's came with financial motivation as well. When retailers carried both VHS and DVD, I clearly remember that most if not all movies on DVD were at least $5 cheaper than the same thing on VHS. With the benefits listed above, choosing between the two was a no-brainer. Last time I checked, Blu-rays for the most part remain more expensive than their respective DVD versions.

said by Rajmarie :

Piracy can be added there...but IMO...piracy hurts more rentals/VOD then sales of media.

If anything, rentals/VOD are affecting sales (at least as far as I am concerned). I usually rent to try; if I love is enough to watch again and again, I will buy a retail copy. Given how most of the stuff that Hollywood is putting out today is pure crap, I think rentals are working against them. That's why the waits that they impose on Netflix and the like. If someone desperately wants to see it, they'll have to buy it. If they let them rent it early enough and they realize that it's garbage, they will never buy it.
--
Ask me no questions, and I'll tell you no lies...
A MESSAGE to the RIAA and the MPAA: You shouldn't wound what you can't kill...

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
kudos:1
reply to Jason Levine

This is a big factor, World of Warcraft alone can have more people logged in during primetime than some TV shows get in ratings.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

Corehhi

join:2002-01-28
Bluffton, SC
reply to rradina

Re: Cost of going to the movies

said by rradina:

It's not enough to just compare the cost. What are you getting for $1.80 in inflation adjusted dollars? Today's theaters are air conditioned, offer huge, COLOR screens with surround sound, stadium seating, comfortable chairs and a reasonably nice place to do your business should nature call during the show.

I have no idea what a theater was like in the mid 30s but I'm sure it wasn't long on creature comforts. The picture and sound quality were probably equally lacking.

No you are wrong. I've been in a few old theaters and they were full on having state of the art creature comforts for the day. In fact the ones I've scene were much nicer than any modern theater. Here's one near me, »www2.scad.edu/venues/lucas/history.html. Take the tour of what it looks like.

Corehhi

join:2002-01-28
Bluffton, SC
reply to Metatron2008

said by Metatron2008:

So you live in a cardboard box? Please save us the extreme over exaggeration. Seriously? Popcorn and soda prices are crazy, but a fucking mortgage?

Well I have kids and a 3D movie is no cheap entertainment I can tell you.

Jason Levine
Premium
USA

1 recommendation

reply to Kearnstd

Thus, using the MPAA/RIAA's "lost sales" arguments, World of Warcraft should be sued because every time someone logs into World of Warcraft, they are costing the MPAA a DVD sale!
--
-Jason Levine

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium
join:2000-08-05
Mentor, OH

1 edit
reply to m3nphls

Re: Simple...

1]Trailers can't be trusted. I've gone to so many movies, where the best part was the trailer. I feel if I'm going to invest 6 bucks for the money ticket and another 10 bucks for a drink and popcorn, I better like what I'm paying for.
2]I don't listen to critics, because they seldom agree with my opinion about a movie.

I used to go once a week, now it's like once every 3 or 4 months.
I think one reason why Hollywood made so much cash is because of the large number of movies being released that are 3d only. Though I wish they were filmed in 3d and not giving a 3d treatment before being released to the theater.

--
Is a person a failure for doing nothing? Or is he a failure for trying, and not succeeding at what he is attempting to do? What did you fail at today?.

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium
join:2000-08-05
Mentor, OH
reply to Jason Levine

Re: Piracy and Box Office Earnings

quote:
Thanks to some "creative accounting practices", no movie from 2012 actually made a profit so the MPAA is sad to report that anyone working on the movies for a cut of the profits won't get paid. (MPAA: "Sure, The Avengers was a box office smash, but these figures show conclusively that it actually lost millions. Such a shame that we won't be able to pay you.")

Like John Carter. It bombed when it was first released, but it actually made it's money over it's theatrical run. Then it made even more when the DVD/Blue rays hit. But yet Disney tried writing it off as a loss.

I think studios try to make "bombs" so they, like any other business, can charge off the loss against any profit they made that year. To help reduce the tax bill.
--
Is a person a failure for doing nothing? Or is he a failure for trying, and not succeeding at what he is attempting to do? What did you fail at today?.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
San Jose, CA
kudos:11
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to Jason Levine

said by Jason Levine:

Thus, using the MPAA/RIAA's "lost sales" arguments, World of Warcraft should be sued because every time someone logs into World of Warcraft, they are costing the MPAA a DVD sale!

Jeez! Don't give them any ideas. Next they will be suing me for not buying their shit because it is costing them sales!
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

Trencher

join:2007-02-12
Etobicoke, ON
reply to Metatron2008

Re: So when people make a lot it's okay for you to steal?

Umm, its not stealing its copying... and secondly hows the air up there on your high horse? Studies have shown that pirating movies actually can increase profit due to word of mouth buzz. Also the biggest pirate's are usually the biggest tech/movie/music spenders... so figure that one out.

Trencher

Etobicoke, ON
reply to silbaco

If a tree falls in the forest and no ones around to see it, did it fall?

If a movie is released and no one watches it, was the movie ever made?

Trencher

Etobicoke, ON
reply to rradina

No they don't offer service in Canada and no I'm not paying $5-$6 for a shitty movie... if they charged $2 or $1 for the movie and it didn't count towards my cap on my bandwidth then I might be inclined to "rent" it.

TOPDAWG
Premium
join:2005-04-27
Midland, ON
kudos:3
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to TOPDAWG

well I can just make up reason why I pirate but the truth is I don't give a crap. I like a movie I'll buy it I don't oh well they lost nothing. I won't spend anything for one movie unless I really want it.

Hollywood makes good money off me I'm near 200 BR's now and in the last month and this mouth I'll go to the movies 4 times.

Jason Levine
Premium
USA
reply to Snakeoil

That might explain those "what were they thinking" movies. They get green light only so they'll bomb and help to hide the profits from the successes. Sort of like a movie version of the plot in The Producers.
--
-Jason Levine

Expand your moderator at work

kamm

Brooklyn, NY
reply to Jason Levine

Hollywood's "creative accounting" ie tax fraud is well-known ever since Cukor invented the whole studio system. Scumbags, all of them.

dra6o0n

join:2011-08-15
Mississauga, ON

The world should have ended...

Now we gotta deal with this crap for who knows how many years until the next 'prophesied' apocalypse.

ARGONAUT
Have a nice day.
Premium
join:2006-01-24
New Albany, IN

One RingyDingy..Two RingyDingy

The copywrong system is broken.

Everybody has seen how Apple has abused it to suppress competition.
--

Hey you, out there in the cold. Getting lonely, getting old. Can you feel me?

cork1958
Cork
Premium
join:2000-02-26
reply to Bill Neilson

Re: Just think of the overall revenues if the MPAA

said by Bill Neilson:

got off their lazy, fat asses and stopped paying the insane lawyer fees for the insane lawsuits that they file.

Amen!!

And then learn how to use the current technology to their advantage instead of fighting against it, might help?
--
The Firefox alternative.
»www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/

Simba7
I Void Warranties

join:2003-03-24
Billings, MT
reply to rradina

said by rradina:

I suppose you could ask the theater or studio for a refund. Good luck with that.

There's been a couple that came close. Good thing I didn't pay full price (Bargain Matinee) or I'd been pissed.

Metatron2008
Premium
join:2008-09-02
united state
reply to Pirate515

Um, the first dvd player was 1996 in japan, 1997 in america. The first bluray player came a good 9-10 years after, not 5.

Jason Levine
Premium
USA

It was still pretty close together. In 1977, the first VHS players arrived in the US. The first DVD players arrived in the US in 1997, 20 years later. Then, Blu-Ray came around 2006, only 9 years later.

Remember, that "first released" doesn't mean "everyone adopted." It took VHS a good decade to die out and for people to switch to DVD. (The last VHS tape was shipped in 2008.) So just as people were finishing their switch to DVD, a "brand new format" (Blu-Ray) was released. Also, that brand new format wasn't alone as HD DVD was also released.

Most people were reluctant to upgrade so soon after upgrading to DVD and were especially reluctant to invest in a technology while the format war was raging. (Why pay $1,000 for a player that might be the "losing format" a few months down the road?)

All this combined to keep Blu-Ray from taking off.
--
-Jason Levine

dogram

join:2011-03-22
reply to ARGONAUT

Re: One RingyDingy..Two RingyDingy

Piracy is so grossly blown out of proportion I don't even know how to describe it. It's like a textbook publisher suing kids who let other kids use their textbook.

Metatron2008
Premium
join:2008-09-02
united state
reply to Jason Levine

Prices of crt tvs were always pretty stagnant though, while hdtvs have bottomed out price wise.

Not only that, but it looks better to remove that old fat tv and replace it with something thin and light. DVD didn't have the same advantage.

reallydude

@cvgs.net

Argh...

I don't believe there is a ethical or justified reason for piracy it is what it is; someone getting something for free that they should have paid for. But here's the thing does anyone really care except for a few self-righteous people and the movie studios, I think not, its not like you become a deviant just for downloading things, I've probably downloaded every file on my computer with out paying for it, but I'll also go broke and tired trying to help those around me when I really need to help myself, and I haven't done a harmful to hardly any other living thing other than the fact that I pirate. So if piracy makes me a bad person in the eyes of a few jerks and MPAA/RIAA then so be it. I do what I want to do to save a buck or two.