spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2013-01-03 10:23:47: On the heels of dropping Ovation, Time Warner Cable has now dropped Current TV from the company's channel lineup. ..

page: 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · next

Premium
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

Probably both

They probably would have dropped it even if it had 2 million viewers, the low rating does make it easier to do and on that basis it's justified.

MURICA

join:2013-01-03

3 recommendations

Definitely political.

Al Jazeera allows cable providers to carry Al Jazeera English FREE OF CHARGE and Time Warner Cable has always refused to carry it. It is available for streaming online and it is free to air for all North Americans on the Galaxy 19 satellite at 97 degrees West.

I'm sure they would have offered Al Jazeera America free too. This is a company that does not care about making money from retransmission fees.

There is a blatant conspiracy here to keep alternative viewpoints out of the mainstream. The corporate overlords do not want Americans to start paying attention to what's going on beyond their borders. Anything that is outside of the "big three" mainstream America-focused CNN, MSNBC and Fox News either doesn't get carried, or if it does, gets buried away in the thousands and stuck on an expensive "international tier" even when the network offers carriage of their signal free of charge.

This is the fastest I have ever seen Time Warner get something done. They had the network dropped nationwide immediately yesterday. It would be nice if they could show such prompt and unified behavior to do something their customers actually want them to do.

MrOtisABlock

@cableone.net

Pretty broad assumption

I suspect the move had more to do with TWC having a contract clause that allowed dropping the service if it significantly changed in programming or significant change in ownership to another programmer. Satellite/Cable operators monetize their bandwidth. If you have a way to get out of a deal with a low performing network, you will. Programming costs saved & shelf space opens up.

There are hundreds if not thousands of niche channels today but not all create a business model that requires carriage on satellite or cable. Others choose the internet route. Some thrive, some fail - in both environments. Current TV over-reached in hoping to be more than it actually was. At best it would have been a niche service better served (financially) on the Internet.

Crookshanks

join:2008-02-04
Binghamton, NY
reply to MURICA

Re: Definitely political.

If it's readily available via streaming why should TWC waste bandwidth on their cable plant for a niche channel that will hurt them in the PR department? Many Americans regard Al Jazeera as a propaganda mouthpiece, and even those who don't have been grossly offended by some of their editorial decisions. What's the upside for TWC to carry this channel?

DaveDude
No Fear

join:1999-09-01
New Jersey
kudos:1

2 recommendations

what channel ?

I watched current tv maybe once. It was the most grossly against thought and reason channel i had seen, since msnbc. Remove it, i dont think anyone would notice,

wdoa

join:2001-10-16
Spencer, MA

1 recommendation

reply to Crookshanks

"Propaganda Mouthpiece", "offended by some of their editorial decisions"? Sounds like Fox News to me.

FFH5
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5

2 recommendations

reply to Crookshanks
said by Crookshanks:

If it's readily available via streaming why should TWC waste bandwidth on their cable plant for a niche channel that will hurt them in the PR department? Many Americans regard Al Jazeera as a propaganda mouthpiece, and even those who don't have been grossly offended by some of their editorial decisions. What's the upside for TWC to carry this channel?

No reason to carry a propaganda channel offensive to most Americans.
--
A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves money from the public treasury.

FFH5
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5

2 recommendations

reply to wdoa
said by wdoa:

"Propaganda Mouthpiece", "offended by some of their editorial decisions"? Sounds like Fox News to me.

But FoxNews is wanted and watched by tens of millions.
--
A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves money from the public treasury.

AndyDufresne
Premium
join:2010-10-30
Chanhassen, MN

Always going after small fish

Notice how they went after ovation and current both which are not owned by some big player. If they really cared about cost there are some channels owned by DIsney, Viacom etc.. which have low ratings and they could drop but of course they can't or won't do that. On a side note Current tv had terrible programming not sure how folks could watch that for more than 10 minutes. I think every time I tuned to it they had that Walmart documentary on.

Crookshanks

Binghamton, NY

1 recommendation

reply to wdoa

I don't recall ever seeing Fox air footage of dead American and British soldiers, disregarding the laws of war, as well as common decency.

brianiscool

join:2000-08-16
Tampa, FL
kudos:1

HAH

I thought they stopped offering cable service all together.

aaronwt
Premium
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
reply to FFH5

said by FFH5:

said by Crookshanks:

Propaganda? Al Jazeera seems to have more balanced news than many of the US news organizations.

I'll watch it or the BBC periodically to see a non US viewpoint of the news.
They do a very good job.

wdoa

join:2001-10-16
Spencer, MA
reply to Crookshanks
War is ugly, maybe if we saw more of the results of war we wouldn't be so quick to send our troops into harms way.

hgraul

join:2005-12-04
Saint Louisville, OH

2 recommendations

Current?

I'm an old school liberal/progressive (union guy, civil rights and equality, all the usual stuff) and I had never heard of "Current". As to its being sold to Al Jazerra, you've got to be kidding. This would be even more of a niche thing than half of the cable channels up there around 200 or so. I know that I would more likely watch Fox News than A-J tripe, and I would more likely bleach my eyes than watch Fox. I doubt either one will be missed.

Crookshanks

Binghamton, NY

1 edit
reply to wdoa

There are plenty of ways to demonstrate the ugliness of war without violating the laws thereof. There are plenty of ways to provide balance without airing Al Quada propaganda, which happens to be an organization that has killed many more Muslims than Westerners, so why Al Jazeera opts to air their propaganda is beyond me.

Crusty

join:2008-11-11
Sanger, TX
Reviews:
·Embarq Now Centu..
·CenturyLink
reply to aaronwt
said by aaronwt:

said by FFH5:

said by Crookshanks:

Propaganda? Al Jazeera seems to have more balanced news than many of the US news organizations.

I'll watch it or the BBC periodically to see a non US viewpoint of the news.
They do a very good job.

They do a very good job indeed. I recently stumbled across their YouTube channel and have been addicted ever since. You want to more balanced and "truer" take on the news in our world, watch Al Jazeera. They will talk about the stuff and show the stuff that no American news corp will ever show. And they're not slanted to any political party which is GREAT!

Crookshanks

Binghamton, NY
reply to AndyDufresne

Re: Always going after small fish

Their contracts with Disney and Viacom obligate them to carry those channels. They could live without them, but not without ESPN, Comedy, etc.

Bob4
Account deleted

join:2012-07-22
New Jersey
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to FFH5

said by FFH5:

We're talking about Al Jazeera, not Fox.

Automate

join:2001-06-26
Atlanta, GA

2 recommendations

reply to Crookshanks
Al Jazeera ... is a broadcaster owned by the state of Qatar
»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al_Jazeera
Government sponsored news organizations. That's what we need more of. NOT

stevek1949
We're not in Kansas anymore
Premium
join:2002-11-13
Virginia Beach, VA

It was posted in the Verizon TV forum:

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Clear Wireless
·Cox HSI
·Verizon FiOS

2 edits

1 recommendation

If it got ratings they would keep it

No one watches that drivel. It doesn't matter if it is free, it takes up channel space. Ditch it and get something else that more than 2 people are interested in watching.

I can't watch Fox News, or the legacy networks. MSNBC is simply a joke. There is no journalism in America any more, it is ALL editorializing from start to finish. There used to be a line between hard news and the editorial programming but not any more. It is just one media whore "pundit" after another.

I get more 'unbiased' news from CCTV and Newsline than I ever did from American media.

Premium
West Tenness

1 recommendation

reply to Crookshanks

said by Crookshanks:

I don't recall ever seeing Fox air footage of dead American and British soldiers,

No just dead Arabs

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170
reply to FFH5
Who cares if it is offensive, if someone actually watched it. The problem with these channels isn't their content, it is that they get ZERO ratings.

Premium
West Tenness
reply to Automate
said by Automate:

Al Jazeera ... is a broadcaster owned by the state of Qatar
»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al_Jazeera
Government sponsored news organizations. That's what we need more of. NOT

Last time I checked you were free NOT to watch.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170
reply to aaronwt
"Balance" is in the eye of the watcher. There is no such thing as "balance" in modern journalism. If you happen to agree with them, you will call them balanced. If you don't, they're propagandists.

Automate

join:2001-06-26
Atlanta, GA

2 recommendations

reply to 88615298
Yes, and because of my 1st amendment right I can post on this board why I don't watch it. A right by the way, they don't have in Qatar.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170
The 1st Amendment doesn't give you the right to post here, nor does it give AJ the right to broadcast on cable. The Congress shall make no law abridging speech...private companies can all they want and do all the time.

Bill Neilson
Premium
join:2009-07-08
Arlington, VA
reply to Crookshanks
said by Crookshanks:

I don't recall ever seeing Fox air footage of dead American and British soldiers, disregarding the laws of war, as well as common decency.

Then try watching it with an open mind. Then you will see the stupidity and ignorance of the channel on a daily basis.

Bob4
Account deleted

join:2012-07-22
New Jersey
Reviews:
·Optimum Online

1 recommendation

reply to Automate
said by Automate:

Yes, and because of my 1st amendment right I can post on this board why I don't watch it.

Wrong. Go back to school.

sandman_1

join:2011-04-23
reply to FFH5
said by FFH5:

said by Crookshanks:

Wow really?

I watch Al Jazeera Englsih on PBS World View Network (Over the Air, »www.mhznetworks.org/) in my area all the time and compared to the major "news" (I put news in quotations because they really don't report the news anymore) networks, they actually report the news going on all around the world. They report the news, don't give opinion, and don't have so called "political expert panels". Headline News use to be this way a long time ago. Also on the World View Network, they have other worldwide news outlets like Russia Today, NHK, France 2, and others which keep you more inform on whats going on than a Foxnews or MSNBC ever could.