spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2013-01-04 18:29:47: • Is LTE upsurge a threat to Wi-Fi's future? [fiercewireless.com] • Qualcomm Introduces StreamBoost Technology to Speed Up 802.11ac Wi-Fi Networks. [xbitlabs. ..

Simba7
I Void Warranties

join:2003-03-24
Billings, MT

Is LTE upsurge a threat to Wi-Fi's future?

Doubtful. The only reason there's an upsurge in LTE is because most devices come with it. Most people will utilize WiFi due to lower cost on their overall bill.

If LTE wasn't that expensive, or had a much larger cap, more people would utilize LTE.

Premium
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness
I agree and I thought the author of the article was stupid but the article is about the UK so it really doesn't pertain to us. That's the one thing about this site that annoys me. Most of us here are American and Canadian no one cares about UK or EU crap. If an article is about that at least label at such so I'm not wasting my time.

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
kudos:1

1 recommendation

reply to Simba7
the caps and the speeds are why WiFi will always trump LTE when one can get on some wifi.

Especially in the home, I doubt there is an LTE link that could beat my home wifi connected to a cable modem in actual real world usage.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

funny0

join:2010-12-22

wifi ?

whose legally gonna run wifi with all the copyright laws around these days, you have to be a fraking nut to do so.

RR Conductor
NWP RR Inc.,serving NW CA
Premium
join:2002-04-02
Redwood Valley, CA
said by funny0:

Who is legally going to run WiFi with all the copyright laws around these days? You have to be a freaking nut to do so.

What do you mean? Why wouldn't somebody run it? Just lock it down.
--

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170
kudos:2

Is LTE upsurge a threat to Wi-Fi's future?

Nope

CXM_Splicer
Looking at the bigger picture
Premium
join:2011-08-11
NYC
kudos:2
reply to Kearnstd
That is exactly why VZ will never build out a Wifi network like the cable companies do. They could very easily cover almost the entire city of NY (and many other areas) by feeding hotspots off of the FIOS network but it would directly affect their LTE revenue.

Between Optimum Online, TWC, and people with open Wifi (thank you!) I am able to use my Xoom without LTE service at all.

FFH
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5
reply to Simba7
As long as WiFi is free, LTE can't eclipse WiFi in usage.

FFH
Premium
Tavistock NJ

re: France Telecom Accused Of Holding YouTube Videos Hostage

This is just another in a series of internet peering disputes where asymmetric traffic loads has one side demanding to be paid instead of providing free peering. It becomes newsworthy because Google and its YouTube franchise is involved. Google will try to turn this in to a net neutrality issue when it really isn't. Google just wants to save money instead of having to pay more to their backbone carrier Cogent, whose costs would rise with peering partners.
--
A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves money from the public treasury.

admin123

@myvzw.com
reply to Kearnstd

Re: Is LTE upsurge a threat to Wi-Fi's future?

Thank again.

MysticGogeta
The Robot Devil
Premium
join:2005-03-14
Katy, TX
reply to Simba7
Yeah LTE is more of a marking tool for cell phone company's but the data cap with most providers will make Wi-Fi a MUCH better option for years to come.
--
Team Discovery-Join the fight

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Minicam operator will get probation

There is simply not enough room in prisons right now to put someone in there for five years for taping movies off the big screen.

Truthfully the damage is done simply by the conviction.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

FFH
Premium
Tavistock NJ
said by Kearnstd:

Minicam operator will get probation.

There is simply not enough room in prisons right now to put someone in there for five years for taping movies off the big screen.

It is a Federal conviction. He will serve at least 80% of his sentence.
--
A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves money from the public treasury.

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK
They'll have to release some serial burglars, drug traffickers and the like to make room for these dangerous terrorist criminals.
--
"Fascism should more properly be called corporatism because it is the merger of state and corporate power." -- Benito Mussolini

andyb
Premium
join:2003-05-29
SW Ontario
reply to FFH

Re: France Telecom Accused Of Holding YouTube Videos Hostage

Both ends of a download or upload have to pay.Its been that way forever.You download a 100mb file you pay for that as well as the other end paying for the upload.Both ISP's get paid.No different in this case either.Just because google is big enough to get better rates is not a reason to hold them hostage.Its not their fault that France telecom sucks getting better rates.

If Youtube etc wasnt around would they have as many customers?