spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2013-01-07 12:34:13: Netflix has now taken to ranking the nation's top-performing streaming ISPs each month. ..

page: 1 · 2 · 3 · next

cableties
Premium
join:2005-01-27

Capt Obvious...

So this ranking, won't it stir the pot of "using our tubes"?
--
Splat

massysett

join:2006-01-04
Silver Spring, MD

1 recommendation

No benefit

So the super duper speeds of FTTH have...no practical benefit. Comcast with the HFC plant outranks FIOS. Yet geeks complain about "slow Internet."

We've seen what happens when there is massive capital investment where it had no practical benefit: dotcom bubble and housing bubble. Now people say we should have fiber everywhere so that we can get...speeds slower than Comcast.

Let Google have at burying fiber everywhere but keep government out of this.

RWSI

join:2012-11-27
Albuquerque, NM

Bandwidth

You can only still download as fast as the sender has available bandwidth. Google may have the fastest to whatever but there is port blocking and traffic shaping going on behind the scene. Do any of these providers protect you the consumer from now easier then ever attacks against the user?

The real fact is bandwidth costs money and you the consumer will eventually pay!

FastLearner

join:2003-09-14
Arvada, CO

Save it

How about they take the money they spend on worthless rankings and spend it on more streaming CONTENT!!

pende_tim
Premium
join:2004-01-04
Andover, NJ
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

Nice data, no value however

So, if my ISP is low on the list and I want to change, what number do I call to have google fiber installed in my house in Andover, Nj?

I also doubt this will make any ISP spend a bundle upgrading their plant to be better than anyone else. If there were true competition that would happen however in most areas one cable co and one telco usually has the franchise for the town.
--
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.

Boricua
Premium
join:2002-01-26
Sacramuerto
reply to cableties

Re: Capt Obvious...

No news here. The only thing is Netflix but everything is else hasn't changed much in those rankings.
--
Illegal aliens have always been a problem in the United States. Ask any Indian. Robert Orben

TSWYO
Premium
join:2003-05-03
Cheyenne, WY

1 recommendation

reply to RWSI

Re: Bandwidth

Bandwidth costs virtually nothing. I have leased space in colo and pay $3.60 per Mbps (using quality providers) on a larger commit that would be a lot cheaper. I push TB's worth of data a day. The ISPs complaining is just a money ploy for themselves.

Premium
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness
reply to FastLearner

Re: Save it

said by FastLearner:

How about they take the money they spend on worthless rankings and spend it on more streaming CONTENT!!

Um...they are.

Premium
West Tenness
reply to pende_tim

Re: Nice data, no value however

Well I have Charter and at&t in my area so yeah these ranking might matter to both of them since one is clearly better than the other.

Rob
In Deo speramus.
Premium
join:2001-08-25
Kendall, FL
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to massysett

Re: No benefit

For those of us who are pushing FTTH, we do so for the following reasons, none which are factored into Netflix's rankings:

1. FTTH provides for a more stable connection, with fewer interferences between the customer and the ISP.

2. FTTH provides more symmetrical speeds, or at least, faster upload speeds.

3. The cost to run FTTH has decreased significantly, and allows for much more expansion in the future without major infrastructure changes.

4. Our doctors tell us to eat more fiber, well, we want more fiber.

5. If you're going to rebuild a major highway, it would make economical sense to lay fiber optics at the same time. The cost is so minimal.
--
CheckSite.us | YourIP.us | Reverseip.us

rradina

join:2000-08-08
Chesterfield, MO

Do WiFi Routers Have Impact?

I'm curious if these rankings consider the quality of the link's last ~200 feet. WiFi has to be used by a majority of folks. Does that skew the results?

Crookshanks

join:2008-02-04
Binghamton, NY
reply to TSWYO

Bandwidth and data are not one and the same. Higher bit/s connections (e.g., 10mbit/s vs. 100mbit/s) require more infrastructure on the backend than lower bit/s connections. The actual bytes sent across such a connection is less important (though it matters somewhat with a shared last mile) than the promised data rate.

There's also a difference between a co-location center and residential last-mile connections. The former provides economy of scale and requires scant infrastructure investment. The latter requires infrastructure from the ISP all the way to your doorstep.

rradina

Chesterfield, MO

1 recommendation

Subscriber Counts

What are the subscriber counts for the respective services? While Google Fiber is #1, how many customers do they serve? Will their figures change as subscriber counts rise? Granted, they have an undisputed last-mile capacity advantage but at some point, the bandwidth aggregates and if they don't manage it well, they could fall from grace.

join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON
reply to Rob

said by Rob:

For those of us who are pushing FTTH, we do so for the following reasons, none which are factored into Netflix's rankings:

1. FTTH provides for a more stable connection, with fewer interferences between the customer and the ISP.

2. FTTH provides more symmetrical speeds, or at least, faster upload speeds.

3. The cost to run FTTH has decreased significantly, and allows for much more expansion in the future without major infrastructure changes.

4. Our doctors tell us to eat more fiber, well, we want more fiber.

5. If you're going to rebuild a major highway, it would make economical sense to lay fiber optics at the same time. The cost is so minimal.

All of these things are a no brainer, especially #1 and #2. DOCSIS even with DOCSIS 3.1 still has a pretty bad achilles' heel.

rradina

Chesterfield, MO
reply to 88615298

No doubt Charter wins in the ranking vs. AT&T DSL but other than buffering faster, what story does the rankings tell in terms of watching the content? Once the stream starts playing, can the sub tell the difference between 1.4Mbps provider and a 2.1Mbps provider?

Skippy25

join:2000-09-13
Hazelwood, MO
reply to massysett

Yet your shortsightedness does not allow you to see past your nose.

The expandability of fiber far outweighs that of cable and once it is installed can do so without major infrastructure changes. Which is why ALL cable systems use fiber in the core of their network.

ITALIAN926

join:2003-08-16
kudos:2
reply to cableties

Google Fiber , a "major ISP". Hysterical. I wonder if they even have 1000 customers yet.

fuziwuzi
Not born yesterday
Premium
join:2005-07-01
Atlanta, GA

mobile rankings

Interesting that on the mobile front, T-Mobile ranks above AT&T and Sprint. I guess their LTE offerings don't help them much.
--
Teabaggers: Destroying America is Priority #1

battleop

join:2005-09-28

More Netflix BullSh*t....

So how can you rank Google who has almost no customers over someone like EPB who has thousands of customers with a minimum package of 50/50?
--
I do not, have not, and will not work for AT&T/Comcast/Verizon/Charter or similar sized company.

Skippy25

Hazelwood, MO
reply to rradina

You would think not but I think that depends on the player as the BluRay player I have does no buffering whatsoever and it gets on my nerves. Is that a player, ISP or netflix problem?

On my uVerse account there have probably been 40+ times I have been buffered while watching and I have probably watched less than 150 hours which is a pretty poor % if you ask me.

Could be a player issue as I had to buy this player as I have a space issue with where it is going. Once I have alternatives I will be looking at that as a buying decision as it is ridiculous that once you select a movie to play it is not fully downloaded as soon as it can be for uninterrupted viewing and good FF / RR features.

Maybe with the ridiculous content licensing they can't buffer the material at all.

Skippy25

Hazelwood, MO
reply to rradina

Re: Do WiFi Routers Have Impact?

Not sure how you come to the "majority", but regardless WiFi even at 54mb will supply plenty of bandwidth even with retransmissions.

Etobicoke, ON
reply to Crookshanks

said by Crookshanks:

There's also a difference between a co-location center and residential last-mile connections. The former provides economy of scale and requires scant infrastructure investment. The latter requires infrastructure from the ISP all the way to your doorstep.

Sure it does but it doesn't cost them how much they like to claim it does. The providers are making a killing on broadband and charging insane amounts compared to what it really costs them to get those bits to you. They also stretch out doing required upgrades as much as possible.

Etobicoke, ON
reply to Skippy25

Come on! Stop making so much sense

Etobicoke, ON
reply to FastLearner

Re: Save it

said by FastLearner:

This is a really bad joke.

jmn1207
Premium
join:2000-07-19
Ashburn, VA

What Accounts for the Higher Score?

How is Google Fiber scoring so much higher? Clearly this is some artificial limit being imposed somewhere in the path. Why wouldn't every ISP be able to easily manage a measly 2.57 Mbps download stream?

Where is the bottleneck? I've seen at certain times that heavy usage probably accounts for my Netflix streams over my wired Roku device dropping out of HD on occasion with Comcast 50/10 service. It rarely, if ever, did so with my FiOS 35/35 service. When Netflix is acting up, my connection is otherwise working as expected to other sites and services.

Is this an issue with peering, encoding, or some other problem? It seems like there would be a LOT more Comcast customers using Netflix than there could be with FiOS, if only because of the vast difference in the total number of subscribers. Perhaps there is a finite limit on the total allowable bandwidth available to Netflix streams at some point along the route?

Anyone have a reasonable explanation?

Premium
West Tenness
reply to fuziwuzi

Re: mobile rankings

said by fuziwuzi:

Interesting that on the mobile front, T-Mobile ranks above AT&T and Sprint. I guess their LTE offerings don't help them much.

Where does Sprint have LTE? And at&t is not a whole lot better.

devnuller

join:2006-06-10
Cambridge, MA

1 edit

ISP performance based on Netflix decisions

How much of the performance measurement is based on choices Netflix makes?

•Which CDN's are used for which ISPs each month?
•What about Neflix's network connectivity decisions as they move transit chasing the cheapest price each month?

The netflix transit network
»bgp.he.net/AS2906#_graph4

Premium
West Tenness
reply to jmn1207

Re: What Accounts for the Higher Score?

said by jmn1207:

How is Google Fiber scoring so much higher? Clearly this is some artificial limit being imposed somewhere in the path. Why wouldn't every ISP be able to easily manage a measly 2.57 Mbps download stream?

Actually Netflix can do as high as 5400 kbps.

elefante72

join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY
reply to ITALIAN926

I agree. More marketing than anything else. But you can def see how cable and fiber outpace DSL... As of TODAY fiber is the way to go if you are interested in upload. On download I can get 50 Mbps on TWC and yes greater than that on FIOS, but I don't care...My 25/25 plan is just great for me, and I suspect a vast majority of the folks. Choice is great tho.... Thanks to competition cable has come a long way.... and that is the point of putting GOOG up there. It's a reminder to the incumbents that it can be done better and cheaper...

But on the other side of the coin when say any company was lighting up LTE, they would say, oh wait I can get 20 Mbps until there are actually people on it, and say now I'm lucky to hit 10 on a good day on my Verizon phone and more like 6-7 now or less... And we are talking less than 20% penetration on LTE.... Don't get me wrong I think LTE is superior, but my iphone 4s does just fine too on 3G....Verizon just does superior network management...

brianiscool

join:2000-08-16
Miami, FL

Netflix

They finally decided to keep their mouth shut and just do what they do best.