dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2013-01-10 08:46:17: FreedomPop's plan to offer consumers a $99 Sleeve that provides the iPhone with WiMax phone and data capabilities is facing delays. ..

Metatron2008
You're it
Premium Member
join:2008-09-02
united state

Metatron2008

Premium Member

Oh no!

You must wait a little longer to have poor service with slower speeds then lte AND can only use it for a year!

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

I agree, even though I've never used Wi-max, I am impressed by the LTE on my iPhone 5. I don't even notice a difference when I have it latched on to my home Wi-Fi (powered by Comcast) or using Verizon LTE on the go. I don't use public hotspots because of security vulnerabilities.

Wi-max (based on what I've read on DSLR) is a downgrade from LTE.
ArizonaSteve
join:2004-01-31
Apache Junction, AZ

ArizonaSteve

Doh!

Since it works as a wi-fi hotspot they should have just had it tested by itself. If they were smart enough to come up with a device like this you'd think they could have figured out how to have it tested!
markbot
join:2012-11-21
New York, NY

markbot

freedompop doesn't tell customers about the delay

freedompop didn't tell me about the delay so they kept saying the sleeve would be available in another 3 to 4 weeks. then in 3 to 4 weeks, they would say it would be avail in 3 to 4 weeks. i got fed up and canceled my order, which i placed in may of 2012. this was very irritating. i ended up getting the hotspot which works well except for the terrible battery life.

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5 to ArizonaSteve

Premium Member

to ArizonaSteve

Re: Doh!

said by ArizonaSteve:

Since it works as a wi-fi hotspot they should have just had it tested by itself. If they were smart enough to come up with a device like this you'd think they could have figured out how to have it tested!

The FCC is the problem. They see something new and don't know how to test it? Hire better engineers.
iansltx
join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX

iansltx to IowaCowboy

to IowaCowboy

Re: Oh no!

It is. However, you don't have to pay $80 per month for a WiMAX data account.

Metatron2008
You're it
Premium Member
join:2008-09-02
united state

Metatron2008

Premium Member

Of course not. I remember when clear wire first came out I bought an ispot. $25 a month for unlimited internet... and our house is less then a mile away from a clear tower. What more could you ask for?

.... only our house has trees everywhere from the tower and gets no signal AT ALL from the clear wire tower, I had to drive around just to find a signal that was around 2.5/0.5.

Verizon lte gets 30/12 in really populated areas. I pay for limited internet, but fast internet that you don't need to drive around for.