dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2013-01-10 15:22:34: The FCC this week announced that the agency will be taking steps to free up wireless spectrum to be used by newer technologies like 802.11ac (aka "Gigabit Wi-Fi). ..

page: 1 · 2 · next
qworster
join:2001-11-25
Bryn Mawr, PA

qworster

And....

And the lion's share of wireless still happens on three non-overlapping channels in the 2.4 Ghz band.

Darknessfall
Premium Member
join:2012-08-17
Motorola MG8725
Asus RT-N66

Darknessfall

Premium Member

5 Ghz Doesn't Seem to Need More Channels :)?

Click for full size
As you can see below, there's a ton of 2.4 devices and only two 5(My router and a possible U-verse Wireless Receiver AP)

IowaMan
Premium Member
join:2008-08-21
Grinnell, IA

IowaMan

Premium Member

TV OTA Spectrum?

Are they going to do away with that I thought there was talk that by 2016 or so the government would like to see OTA TV go away for good.
Kamus
join:2011-01-27
El Paso, TX

Kamus to Darknessfall

to Darknessfall

Re: 5 Ghz Doesn't Seem to Need More Channels :)?

That's pretty bad, do you live in an apartment complex?
88615298 (banned)
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

88615298 (banned) to IowaMan

to IowaMan

Re: TV OTA Spectrum?

No, no one ever said they were going to do away with OTA. This has nothing to do with that anyways. What they wanted to do with OTA is to get 120 MHz of the 222 MHz of OTA UHF spectrum and auction it off for mobile. They still plan to do that but they are now counting on getting at best 80 MHz and probably closer to 60 MHz. There still would be 42 MHz on hi-VHF like there is today.

Darknessfall
Premium Member

Darknessfall to Kamus

Premium Member

to Kamus

No, just holding my wireless adapter really high :P. I only normally pick up 8 or so when placed on top of my computer on the 2nd floor . WNDA4100
88615298 (banned)
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

88615298 (banned) to Darknessfall

to Darknessfall
Why are all those people using channel 11? Are they stupid? I bet their connections suck which they promptly blame on their ISP instead of themselves.
iansltx
join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX

iansltx to qworster

to qworster

Re: And....

Yep, because 5GHz equipment on the AP side is still expensive, and has shorter range.

Darknessfall
Premium Member
Motorola MG8725
Asus RT-N66

2 edits

Darknessfall to 88615298

Premium Member

to 88615298

Lol I asked the same thing in a thread a month or so ago on this website. Most of them are 2wire U-verse gateways :P! Channel 1 is actually the clearest out of them all.

For your enjoyment with not holding my adapter up in the air:

AggieDan
@xo.net

AggieDan

Anon

The AT&T U-Verse gateways don't look around to see how congested the bands are and instead default. You have to manually change the channel. Luckily for me, none of my neighbours seem to have this figured this out, leaving me the opportunity to set my APs on different channels with less interference.

Darknessfall
Premium Member

Darknessfall

Premium Member

Both of my gateways that I received from AT&T had "Auto" for channel as the default.(3800/3801)
BiggA
Premium Member
join:2005-11-23
Central CT
·Frontier FiberOp..
Asus RT-AC68

BiggA to 88615298

Premium Member

to 88615298
I have traditionally seen channel 6 as the most, and 1 as the best. And then there's a few idiots on like 4 and 7, making only 2 usable (although one time in a dorm with horrendous interference, I found something like 3 or 4 to be the only thing that was remotely usable, as it partially fit in between 1 and 6).
BiggA

BiggA to qworster

Premium Member

to qworster

Yeah, 5ghz is still pretty clean.
xur17
join:2003-03-26
Cincinnati, OH

xur17 to AggieDan

to AggieDan

I live in an apartment by my college, all of my neighbors except for 1 are on channel 11. I have no complaints though, as it leaves me 1 free non-overlapping channel, and 1 lightly used channel.

koolman2
Premium Member
join:2002-10-01
Anchorage, AK

koolman2 to Darknessfall

Premium Member

to Darknessfall
I like that lone 11b access point in there.
eco
Premium Member
join:2001-11-28
Wilmington, DE

eco to qworster

Premium Member

to qworster

802.11ac is going to be 5GHz only so that spectrum will start filling up over the next couple of years.

Darknessfall
Premium Member
Motorola MG8725
Asus RT-N66

2 edits

Darknessfall to koolman2

Premium Member

to koolman2

The B is someone's adhoc network which has been unsecured for years lol.

Just counted up how many per channel when holding my adapter in the air after about 10 minutes of letting InSSIDer pick up networks (All of the networks weren't all in range at once).

Channel - 2.4:
1 - 4 + 1 guest
2 - 2
3 - 1
4 - 2
5 - 2
6 - 4 + 1 guest
7 - 1
8 - 1
9 - 1
10 - 3
11 - 8

anonisp
@backdeck.com

anonisp

Anon

probably in the 5330-5700 range

Where radar detection is already being approved... Not really new spectrum, just allowing more home stuff to use it...

streamer
@cable.net.co

streamer to Darknessfall

Anon

to Darknessfall

What app is that i'd love to run it on my mac to see how bad my area is.
ssavoy
Premium Member
join:2007-08-16
Dallas, PA

ssavoy to BiggA

Premium Member

to BiggA
I hate this. I'm forced to use channel 9 because 1, 6, and 11 are completely saturated. One neighbour runs two access points on two separate channels with 40MHz bandwidth and another uses channel 4. My LAN speeds over Wireless N rarely go past 20mbps on most channels. I get 30mbps on channel 9.

Another AP popped up last week on channel 7. I think 802.11ac will be my saving grace. I keep putting more devices on my wired network every week.

elios
join:2005-11-15
Springfield, MO

elios to Darknessfall

to Darknessfall
i dont get why WiFi doesnt use some thing like FHSS? we use it with our RC gear and it works great
Jazzemt
join:2009-02-12
USA

Jazzemt to Darknessfall

to Darknessfall
Which software are you using to display that?

Darknessfall
Premium Member
Motorola MG8725
Asus RT-N66

Darknessfall to streamer

Premium Member

to streamer
@Jazzemt/streamer

It's called InSSIDer

»www.metageek.net/product ··· nssider/
»www.metageek.net/product ··· for-mac/

Yucca Servic
join:2012-11-27
Rio Rancho, NM

Yucca Servic

Interference

As a user of the 5 GHZ spectrum in our market area there is nothing left here to use.
Any new devices will do nothing but cause degradation of bandwidth and nothing but trouble to anyone attempting to deploy product.

We are already in competition with other major users and have been problems increasing final cost to the end user.

I'm betting the new spectrum will be so low power it won't go any distance and be so regulated to add more DFS requirements to devices making them absolutely not worth a damm.

All I'm saying is the FCC needs to make it right and do what is right instead of making spectrum useless.

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
join:2001-03-25
US

antdude to 88615298

Premium Member

to 88615298

said by 88615298:

Why are all those people using channel 11? Are they stupid? I bet their connections suck which they promptly blame on their ISP instead of themselves.

Not everyone is an expert, but illiterates. They just set them up and be done. Do they care about security? Nope.
antdude

antdude to Jazzemt

Premium Member

to Jazzemt
said by Jazzemt:

Which software are you using to display that?

Probably InSIDDer.

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to iansltx

MVM

to iansltx

No it's not. The TP-Link TL-WDR3500 is a simultaneous dual-band router (so it can do 2.4 and 5 at the same time), and costs $50 at retail... I'm sure there are cheaper examples too.

To put this in context, my WRT54GL cost more than that.
BiggA
Premium Member
join:2005-11-23
Central CT

BiggA

Premium Member

AC only runs in the 5ghz band... a lot of AC routers also support 2.4ghz N. However, it remains to be seen how much AC catches on.
BiggA

BiggA to ssavoy

Premium Member

to ssavoy

You can also use dual-band N900, which works great.
iansltx
join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX

iansltx to Guspaz

to Guspaz

Where is it sold, retail? Remember that the great unwashed masses don't all shop on Newegg, or shop for routers on Amazon.
page: 1 · 2 · next