spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2013-01-11 10:54:00: Earlier this week we noted how Dish's new Hopper DVR, which has angered broadcasters because it automatically skips ads, has now integrated Slingbox functionality. ..

page: 1 · 2 · next

silbaco
Premium
join:2009-08-03
USA

Not unusual.

This kind of thing happens everyday within large corporations. You just don't hear about it.

As mentioned the ongoing lawsuit is reason enough for this. It would be plain stupid not to.

Premium
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness
reply to Twaddle

Re: CNET and lost respect

I lost respect for CNET a while ago when it became clear they were nothing more than a cheerleader for Apple.

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
kudos:1

1 recommendation

reply to tschmidt

Re: CBS owns CNET?

And yet the FTC continues to allow consolidation.

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast
reply to Badonkadonk

Re: Commercial Skipping

I hope you don't have any problems with Dish, their customer service is poor. Different people have different experiences. My aunt lives in rural Washington state and she has Dish and she says she never had any problems. I've heard complaints about DirecTV and I had good experiences myself but it was cheaper just to get TV through Comcast since I have my Internet and phone through them anyways. Comcast is the only viable Internet in town (other than VZ DSL) so it is cheaper to bundle TV with them. Plus, you get more locals on Comcast here as they carry the Boston and Hartford stations where satellite only carries the Springfield (MA) stations only.

Hall
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH
kudos:2
reply to MovieLover76

Re: Tuners

said by MovieLover76:

Most cable and FiOS dvrs still come with only two, not sure what your so indignant about it only having 3.

Most cable/FIOS DVRs are only connected to (1) TV. In that setup, it's fine - you can watch one program while something else records.

The Dish DVR being discussed is a "whole-home-DVR". The main unit has (3) tuners and can feed up to (4) client units, so up to (5) TVs total. Each TV would be restricted in being able to watch (5) different, LIVE channels.

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast

Carriage disputes

One of the TV stations (KCRG-TV) is in the middle of a carriage dispute with Dish. I am wondering if the Hopper is the sticking point into why it is currently blacked out. Maybe KCRG wants more because of the hopper.

I just fast forward the commercials, you could do the same thing back in the '90s with videotape. I cannot count how many times I've taped Home Improvement. And if you were taping it while it was broadcasting, you could pause the VCR during the commercials so they would not eat up the tape. Most tapes went up to two hours although some went up to 2 1/2 hours.

DVRs are nice but you can't pause the recording for commercials so those do eat up valuable space on your hard drive.

Badonkadonk
Premium
join:2000-12-17
Naperville, IL
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Dish Network
reply to IowaCowboy

Re: Commercial Skipping

With all the discounts and such, DISH is relatively cheaper over the two year period for me compared to Comcast (not including the price increase this year). Even including the bundle discount. We have to feed 8 TVs, so Comcast equipment charges add up to quite a bit.

DISH On-Demand blows goats, but we get more TVs covered and with the higher storage on the DVRs, we don't miss OD too much. Also, being able to stream DLNA content from my HTPC media server to any of the TVs in the house is a big plus.

I haven't had to call for help, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed there.
--
How nice. This country is being run by a broken record repeating the same two words over and over. Cretin.

FFH
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
reply to Hall

said by Hall:

Come on digiblur, in the real world, most people's lives don't center on TV 90% of the day, nor do most people have 4, 5, 6, or more TVs.

There aren't 6 shows on TV at the same time worth recording. And even with households with many people and many TVs, recording 30 hours of TV a night, nobody is going to watch all those shows. Most of what is being recorded will never be watched.
--
A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves money from the public treasury.

digiblur
Premium
join:2002-06-03
Louisiana
reply to Hall

said by Hall:

Come on digiblur, in the real world, most people's lives don't center on TV 90% of the day, nor do most people have 4, 5, 6, or more TVs. We have (2) TVs connected to one Hopper and one Joey and admittedly, it's only been 2-3 weeks, but have not yet encountered a conflict.

Outside of Satguys, I've never read/heard complaints about the lack of sufficient tuners.

Typical 4 TV family here. If we had one Hopper it wouldn't last one evening before I would throw it out the window. The two bedrooms would fire up some live TV and that only leaves one tuner left. If the primetime thing was on then there would be zero tuners left in the house for live and/or recording. No thanks.

People don't understand the 3 tuner thing as they are unaware that the other rooms steal their tuner from the hopper.

Badonkadonk
Premium
Naperville, IL
Reviews:
·Dish Network

I don't know. I was pretty aware that was happening and the DISH people also were pretty clear in explaining that.

Viewing habits are VERY household-centric. For us, 2 Hoppers are enough. If I keep DISH, I may add a 3rd Hopper, but that seems overkill. Our household seems to do fine with 6 tuners since it's mostly 2 TVs that get watched on any kind of regular basis. The other ones are mostly occasional use. Typically no more than 3 tuners are ever wacthed at the same time, if that many even. So that leaves plenty for recording.

But I can see where it wouldn't be enough if you have TVs in kids' bedrooms. We don't allow that, so 2 Hoppers is enough.
--
How nice. This country is being run by a broken record repeating the same two words over and over. Cretin.

FarmerBob

join:2000-12-21
Littleton, CO
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
·EarthLink
·ViaTalk
·Comcast

1 recommendation

reply to cableties

said by cableties:

Well, CNET just lost credibility with me. . . .

CNET lost its credibility a long time ago. When reviews, subject matter and product articles started to become clearly "selective and biased". And reader comments started to point this out en masse. So when Clayton said that he looked forward to CNET's "Unbiased" review, I just had to laugh at either his complete ignorance/naivete or his blatant schmoozing. All he was looking for was best of show in a forum that has enough sheeple to add to his bottom line.

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
Mullica Hill, NJ
reply to cableties

the only way to get truly impartial reviews of gear and software is to pretty much have a subscription site.

because you could not have advertising without pressure from the advertisers to give their stuff a positive review. It is why most gaming publications are crap(print and internet), They do not want to lose the ad dollars so they do not piss in any pools even if a game is so terrible it makes ET on Atari look like Final Fantasy 6(aka 3 on the SNES).
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

Zoder

join:2002-04-16
Miami, FL

Firewall

I thought the major networks have a firewall between their entertainment and news divisions for just this reason. Or does this only apply to their network news and not their internet properties?

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
Mullica Hill, NJ

Likely only their primary news branches since those are seen by regulators as official information outlets.

Sites like CNET have been compromised by their sponsors and ownership for awhile now.

if you are a technology vendor and a huge sponsor of a site like CNET, you can bet management will never allow a totally burning review of your products.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

PapaMidnight

join:2009-01-13
Baltimore, MD
reply to digiblur

said by digiblur:

said by Hall:

Come on digiblur, in the real world, most people's lives don't center on TV 90% of the day, nor do most people have 4, 5, 6, or more TVs. We have (2) TVs connected to one Hopper and one Joey and admittedly, it's only been 2-3 weeks, but have not yet encountered a conflict.

Outside of Satguys, I've never read/heard complaints about the lack of sufficient tuners.

Typical 4 TV family here. If we had one Hopper it wouldn't last one evening before I would throw it out the window. The two bedrooms would fire up some live TV and that only leaves one tuner left. If the primetime thing was on then there would be zero tuners left in the house for live and/or recording. No thanks.

People don't understand the 3 tuner thing as they are unaware that the other rooms steal their tuner from the hopper.

In homes with more than three televisions, Dish installs two hopper units...

Four tvs = two hoppers and two joeys.

Hall
Premium,MVM
Germantown, OH

Technically, I believe one Hopper can support four Joeys. If Dish automatically gives people two of each, they're admitting a design shortcoming.

Badonkadonk
Premium
Naperville, IL

But doesn't it really depend on the particular household's usage?

Hall
Premium,MVM
Germantown, OH

How many questions does Dish have to ask when signing someone up ? If the customer makes a mistake in the info they give, they could regret it real quick. If they simply ask "how many TVs do you want connected?", they should cover the worst-case scenario of that many TVs needing unique viewing capabilities all the time.

Simba7
I Void Warranties

join:2003-03-24
Billings, MT
reply to 88615298

said by 88615298:

I lost respect for CNET a while ago when it became clear they were nothing more than a cheerleader for Apple.

Ha. You noticed that, too?

PapaMidnight

Baltimore, MD
reply to Hall

said by Hall:

Technically, I believe one Hopper can support four Joeys. If Dish automatically gives people two of each, they're admitting a design shortcoming.

It can, but as we know, there will be problems

PapaMidnight

Baltimore, MD
reply to Hall

said by Hall:

It can, but, as we know, there will be problems

PapaMidnight

Baltimore, MD
reply to Hall

said by Hall:

It can, but, as we know, there will be problems.

PapaMidnight

Baltimore, MD
reply to Hall

said by Hall:

It can, but, as we know, there will be usability problems.

djcrazy
Premium
join:2009-08-05
Minneapolis, MN
Reviews:
·Comcast
·T-Mobile US

Wow.

You mean to tell me there are actually people who watch CBS outside of maybe the NFL games? As for CNET, it was obvious years ago they are biased and favor their advertisers. That would be similar to a situation where this site would be bought up and run by Comcast LOL.

Cheese
Premium
join:2003-10-26
Naples, FL
reply to 88615298

There a a few sites like that

Steve Mehs
Gun Control Is Using A Steady Hand
Premium
join:2005-07-16
reply to djcrazy

Re: Wow.

Yes, in fact millions and millions do. Like they advertise, CBS is America’s Most Watched Network. Posting links showing the dominance of CBS over the other networks in terms of viewership wouldn’t give a fair perspective because you have to factor in that just about all of the primetime shows got back from Christmas break, and you have some NCAA Bowl games in the mix. But when the Neilson numbers are in from normal weeks, you can see how CBS destroys the other network. Big Bang Theory is the hottest show on TV right now
--
iPhone: 4” 1136 X 640 Display, 1.30 GHz Dual Core Processor, 1 GB RAM
MyPhone: 5” 1920 X 1080 Display, 1.50 GHz Quad Core Processor, 2 GB RAM
So tell me, why is exactly is the iPhone so great?
Droid Does What Jobs Won’t Let You Do.

mgamer20o0

join:2003-12-01
Norwalk, CA

1 recommendation

screw you!!!

i am taking my ball and going home...........

seems like some never grow up....

jduffy
Premium
join:2006-08-20
Cincinnati, OH
reply to TwiztedZero

Greed is good. It drives innovation.

Expand your moderator at work

tc1uscg

join:2005-03-09
Saint Clair Shores, MI
reply to digiblur

said by digiblur:

It should be banned for still having 3 tuners. It should have never came with only 3 in the first place. 3 tuners to record and share with all the rooms in your house. Ha!

They sound like Apple now. Slap a few pieces of old tech in it (Sling, Nomad, and Wifi), slap a new marketing blitz on it and call it revolutionary and a first!

Why not. Apple does it and suckers buy into it.